Sign in to follow this  
Ubtapinzson

Best Coaches

The Coaches in the oldham County schools all three:

Fizer- 2003 team and since then, South is consistantly a good program.  They turn out top notch guys,

hard wrestlers, state champs, and strong dual team's every year.

Fulk-  look at what he's managed to turn north into in the first 5 years of the program.  North is probably

the best young program in the state.  Every year the get better and better.

Riorden- took over for Martinko and hit the ground running.  We'll see how he does after Martinko's

wrestlers graduate, but he's started off strong with OC's 1st regional championship ever.

The Coaches in the oldham County schools all three:

Fizer- 2003 team and since then, South is consistantly a good program.  They turn out top notch guys,

hard wrestlers, state champs, and strong dual team's every year.

Fulk-   look at what he's managed to turn north into in the first 5 years of the program.  North is probably

the best young program in the state.  Every year the get better and better.

Riorden- took over for Martinko and hit the ground running.  We'll see how he does after Martinko's

wrestlers graduate, but he's started off strong with OC's 1st regional championship ever.

Im assuming thats in the order of;

South Oldham

North Oldham

Oldham County

??

Oldham County had  a great year this year, but it won't last, they're graduating 8 guys.  South has fallen off but are a consistantly top program.

North will be the team to beat for the next three years.  Their middle school program is strong, and they're returning Thomson, Stuerle (who is he wasn't hurt at regionals would have placed at state) Hinkle, both Ruschs, and I heard they are picking up a certain transfer in their region that will impact their lineup.  The North coaches have turned out some good stuff in their first couple of years.

South will either pick back up, or Fizer will retire and south will fall off the map.  Oldham Co like i said had a strong year, but won't repeat or get close next year.  It'll take Riorden a few years to reload the guys Martinko built over the last 6 years.

Oldham County had  a great year this year, but it won't last, they're graduating 8 guys.  South has fallen off but are a consistantly top program.

North will be the team to beat for the next three years.  Their middle school program is strong, and they're returning Thomson, Stuerle (who is he wasn't hurt at regionals would have placed at state) Hinkle, both Ruschs, and I heard they are picking up a certain transfer in their region that will impact their lineup.  The North coaches have turned out some good stuff in their first couple of years.

South will either pick back up, or Fizer will retire and south will fall off the map.  Oldham Co like i said had a strong year, but won't repeat or get close next year.  It'll take Riorden a few years to reload the guys Martinko built over the last 6 years.

A year of silence does ya gooooddd.

Anyway--------

OC won't fall off.  Riorden is doing the same stuff as Martinko.  Martinko coached him.  They'll be the dominant power in region 5 for years to come.

They Return:

Schyler (should have placed at 103 this year)

Kaelin (state placer)

Toth (will be the man next year!)

Watts

Brenneman (state placer)

-reload from a strong MS program

North returns:

Thomson (state placer)

Stuerle (toop 4 at 145 till he tore himself up)

Hinkle (this kid is fast)

Chase Rusch (3x state qualifier)

Mitch Rusch

Richardson

South returns

Warren (will be a beast next year)

Procter (state placeR)

Edons (when he doesnt have appendictus he will be good again)

Bisenius (region champ)

I think OC dominates the region for the next few years, followed by North, then Eastern, then South.

Look at regionals this year:

OC- dominated region.  will reload and do the same next year.

Eastern- snuck into second, lose the scoring power of Davis next year.  They will not be top 2 next year, they really shouldn't have been this year, but they showed up on the day that counted.

North- showed up weak at regionals because they lost big guns in Stuerle (broken took 6th, should have been top 3), Rusch (puked his way out of a finals match where he would have beat Bisenius) if they have Stuerle healthy, and Rusch healthy they would have been 2 or 3 in the region

South- losing houchens, Knight, Vaughn to name a few.  If Fizer does step down, that program will fall apart.

So there you go.

As far as coaching-

Riorden- hardnosed, tough, OC style created by Martinko.  Pound you down, then T bar you to death.

Fulk- tough, aggressive, excellant on their feet with some Northern KY leg riding mixed in.

Fiser- proven Iowa style with butt drags, near side wrist rides and deep in doubles.

Fair enough.  You're entitled to your opinion no matter if it's right or wrong.  As for me, I've said all along I think the Carrs are great coaches and nobody, no matter how much people may hate Woodford, can deny that.  Coach Walls and Coach Ervin from Union are right there with them as far as coaching duos go.  Two state titles and a runner-up finish in the last three years says it all and with more Ervins on the way, they'll be in the state title hunt for years to come.  With no disrespect to other coaches, my top 10 current coaches (in no particular order) would be Carrs, Walls/Ervin, Anderson, Ruschell, Bankemper, Canter, Matney, Smith (North Hardin), McCoy & Brown.

i would say that Griggs and Zeppa are better coaches than McCoy, and these Meade co coaches are better than Griggs or Zeppa. i don't know Bankemper or Matney, so im out of the loop there.

i would say that Griggs and Zeppa are better coaches than McCoy, and these Meade co coaches are better than Griggs or Zeppa. i don't know Bankemper or Matney, so im out of the loop there.

In Region 5 i'd go with Fiser and Fulk as the best.

Matney was at Sheldon Clark in the 90s when they were the best school from the Mtn region (back when there were districts and regions) and now he's made Johnson Central a contender. Great coach, his wrestlters are always some of the toughest in the state.

Matney was at Sheldon Clark in the 90s when they were the best school from the Mtn region (back when there were districts and regions) and now he's made Johnson Central a contender. Great coach, his wrestlters are always some of the toughest in the state.

i see well yes he is a good coach. i would make my top ten

1.Carrs

2.Ruschel

3.Matney

4. Walls/Ervin

5.Seneca dude

6.Zeppa

7.Meade

8.Coach Green (lafayett)

9.Griggs

10.Hitchings

explain?

1.Carrs

2.Ruschel

3.Matney

4. Walls/Ervin

5.Seneca dude

6.Zeppa

7.Meade

8.Coach Green (lafayett)

9.Griggs

10.Hitchings

how would you have those ten on there, and not coach headley? he was an assistant coach at iowa wasnt he? that has to account for something. he has had some really great wrestlers come out of his program too, example of matt zarth, tyler sexton, garrison headley(his son), and luke metzger to name a few.

If anyone saw the piece that Diane Sawyer did on Appalachia, you would agree that Coach Matney is more than a coach to those boys no matter if thet were at Sheldon Clark or Johnson Central.

how would you have those ten on there, and not coach headley? he was an assistant coach at iowa wasnt he? that has to account for something. he has had some really great wrestlers come out of his program too, example of matt zarth, tyler sexton, garrison headley(his son), and luke metzger to name a few.

Because all these coaches have brought there teams together to be competitors a the state level, i can't remember when Henry Clay had a full squad that had decent wrestles at each weight-class. It seems to me that headly focuses on one wrestler each year and that is what makes that one wrestler amazing, not the team. don't like it make your own list.

Because all these coaches have brought there teams together to be competitors a the state level, i can't remember when Henry Clay had a full squad that had decent wrestles at each weight-class. It seems to me that headly focuses on one wrestler each year and that is what makes that one wrestler amazing, not the team. don't like it make your own list.

I have to say Headley is a very good coach and he should make the list.  Henry Clay does sport the most state champions without a team championship.  He focuses on the team but it's hard to have a good team when most of your wrestlers start their freshman year.  He can't push them too hard because he'll run most of them off.  At Woodford our elementary program and middle school teams feed us wrestlers that have a year or two under their belt and all they have to do is turn up the intensity.

I have to say Headley is a very good coach and he should make the list.  Henry Clay does sport the most state champions without a team championship.  He focuses on the team but it's hard to have a good team when most of your wrestlers start their freshman year.  He can't push them too hard because he'll run most of them off.  At Woodford our elementary program and middle school teams feed us wrestlers that have a year or two under their belt and all they have to do is turn up the intensity.

Bracco, Travis k, Derek Cambell, Brian White,Nick Gualiardo, Bill Semones, Patrick Blevins TREY GENTRY!?!?! Thats 8 so far in the starting line up that started wrestling freshman year, more than half the team. sorry jpizar i think i just proved you wrong, my list stays.

Bracco, Travis k, Derek Cambell, Brian White,Nick Gualiardo, Bill Semones, Patrick Blevins TREY GENTRY!?!?! Thats 8 so far in the starting line up that started wrestling freshman year, more than half the team. sorry jpizar i think i just proved you wrong, my list stays.

Lol I know and have worked with every single one of those kids so you don't have to get worked up on me.  I never said anything about Headley being better than Coach Carr, just that Headley is good.  Also if you notice this year's team is way down than past years.  Hmmm perhaps theres a reason for that, maybe because they started as freshman.  In years past the majority of our place winners and champs started in middle school.  BTW Derek Campbell wrestled in middle school and I wouldn't be surprised if Travis K, Bracco, and Semones did as well.

Lol I know and have worked with every single one of those kids so you don't have to get worked up on me.  I never said anything about Headley being better than Coach Carr, just that Headley is good.  Also if you notice this year's team is way down than past years.  Hmmm perhaps theres a reason for that, maybe because they started as freshman.  In years past the majority of our place winners and champs started in middle school.  BTW Derek Campbell wrestled in middle school and I wouldn't be surprised if Travis K, Bracco, and Semones did as well.

Yeah, Campbell wrestled 3 years in Middle School but I'm certain that Bracco, Travis and Bill didn't wrestle at all in Middle School.

1.Carrs

2.Ruschel

3.Matney

4. Walls/Ervin

5.Seneca dude

6.Zeppa

7.Meade

8.Coach Green (lafayett)

9.Griggs

10.Hitchings

OK my list.

1.  Bankemper (Campbell)

2.  Matney (Sheldon Cl,/John Cen)

3.  Carr Sr. (Woodford)

4.  Anderson (Seneca)

5.  Walls (Union)

6.  Ruschell (Ryle)

7.  (Harrison Co.) Can't remember his name

8.  Coomes Sr. (East, still an assistant)

9.  (Wayne Co.) Can't remember his name eather

10.  Headley (Henry Clay)

10.  Paden (Larue)

Honerable mention

Badida (Conner) Loooong history

(Danville coach) Always has somethng with a really small team)

(Nelson Co coach) Bringing his team a long way in a short time.

Fiser (South Oldham)

Dingus Sr.  (Bourbon Co.) another with a loooong history.

How can the winningest Coach in high school history be left off any of these best coaches list?

Coach Reigle, Harrison County