Sign in to follow this  
risingtide160

Courtney?

It's not about where he could go. It's about where he WANTS to go. Everyone has expectations for these kids, but you have to let them make up their own mind for their own reasons. While i think Harrison has the ability to wrestle at a higher level, it doesn't matter. If he wants to go NAIA that's his business.

NAIA doesn't always mean a lower level of wrestling. Sometimes the better wrestlers are at D2, D3, NAIA schools for other reasons. Sometimes amazing wrestlers can't academicaly make it in college and have to wrestle JUCO. Lindenwood is a NAIA school who wrestles a D1 scheduel and is very competitive with them. D1 guys get beaten by wrestlers from other divisions all the time, even highly ranked D1 studs. I saw Mark Perry from Iowa get majored by an NAIA wrestler.

NAIA doesn't always mean a lower level of wrestling. Sometimes the better wrestlers are at D2, D3, NAIA schools for other reasons. Sometimes amazing wrestlers can't academicaly make it in college and have to wrestle JUCO. Lindenwood is a NAIA school who wrestles a D1 scheduel and is very competitive with them. D1 guys get beaten by wrestlers from other divisions all the time, even highly ranked D1 studs. I saw Mark Perry from Iowa get majored by an NAIA wrestler.

that match is on youtube somewhere..

I think it's kind of ironic how many people in this state talk down about NAIA schools, but either (1) never wrestled in college, or (2) wrestled at a division above their ability and never accomplished anything.

Just saying.

Good points...and personally, I'd love to see him wrestling close to home.  I'm just thankful for the chances our home state heroes are getting to wrestle beyond h.s.  We're blessed these days to have colleges with wrestling programs in this state.  Whoever gets a chance to wrestle at Cumberland or Campbellsville should be proud of that accomplishment.

I think it's kind of ironic how many people in this state talk down about NAIA schools, but either (1) never wrestled in college, or (2) wrestled at a division above their ability and never accomplished anything.

Just saying.

Can't agree with you more... there are tons of STUDS at NAIA schools and many of them do beat highly ranked D1 wrestlers.  Maybe some people should turn on their inside voices before making idiotic claims or atleast think before they type. 

Just my opinion

And Id say he wants to go there to be close to home, has alot of kentucky wrestlers(his friends) and he can be very competitive his freshman year. As well to have some free time to be a college student and to focus on school. He realizes hes not gonna be a wrestler all his life.

I'd say Harrison feels like he's burnt out of wrestling.  He's been competing at a very high level for a few years now and he probably just wants to take a break.  Everyone has told him that in order to be the best, wrestling has to be your life and he doesn't want that.  He wants to enjoy the college experience and I think that's perfectly fine.  Am I disappointed that a talent of this caliber is not being used?  Honestly yes but I'm not disappointed in Harrison at all.  He's a great person and someone all young wrestlers and non-wrestlers for that matter should look up to and model their lives after.  Courtney has been a model citizen and I can only hope that he is as proud of himself as his coaches and parents are of him.

As far as Mark Perry being majored by an NAIA wrestler I don't think that happened but I could be wrong, I was once before lol jk jk.  If you're referring to the beginning of last season then it was Chris Brown from Old Dominion University, which is DI.  Brown is an exceptional athlete and was highly touted coming out of one of the best high schools in the country, Great Bridge in Virginia.  His coach is now his former high school coach, Steve Martin.  Not many highly ranked (top 10) DI wrestlers get beat by DII, DIII and NAIA wrestlers.  They make wrestling their lives to ensure that this doesn't happen.

I'd say Harrison feels like he's burnt out of wrestling.  He's been competing at a very high level for a few years now and he probably just wants to take a break.

Id say youre wrong, very wrong, and dont know what you speak of.

I'd say Harrison feels like he's burnt out of wrestling.  He's been competing at a very high level for a few years now and he probably just wants to take a break.

Id say youre wrong, very wrong, and dont know what you speak of.

Umm... ok.  It's just my opinion and sorry but I feel like I'm entitled to it.  Feel free to disagree.

Id say yall are all wrong and he just WANTS to go there. Hes not burnt out or he wouldnt wrestle. Id say Franky James has offered him a pretty good deal and he'll still be wrestling and he can always transfer if he doesnt  like it. Hed be kinda close to home and have a bunch of friends there as well.

I know he got a letter from Illinois and some other colleges but Illinois is the only one I can specifically remember.  But getting a letter from Illinois shows the level of interest the major DI colleges have in him.  I would imagine he got one from Indiana, WVU, Mich St (especially since Mason Reid is there), Ohio St, and some others on that level.

As well to have some free time to be a college student and to focus on school. 

This is slightly off topic but still germane; if you are a collegiate athlete at any level it is a job. I've worked at a D1 and D2 school and while most athletes understand that they are they to get an education, they are paying for that education with their bodies. The athletes that know that and adjust are able to enjoy the experience, the one's that don't get it, don't make it. Anytime I work with an athlete that is recruited, I try to give them little insights about what to expect no matter what sport they play.

I know he got a letter from Illinois and some other colleges but Illinois is the only one I can specifically remember.  But getting a letter from Illinois shows the level of interest the major DI colleges have in him.  I would imagine he got one from Indiana, WVU, Mich St (especially since Mason Reid is there), Ohio St, and some others on that level.

I'd say Harrison feels like he's burnt out of wrestling.

How are you connected to Harrison Courtney? I mean how would you know that he got a letter from Illinois, and the other schools. You seem to know about him very well... mind sharing with us your connections to him? Just so that we know your information is legit.

This will probably not be received well, however part of the problem Kentucky wrestlers face coming out of high school is that they wrestle in a state in the South.  GRADUALLY the perception that southern states do not have superior wrestling talent is changing.  With schools like Bradenton, Florida and individuals like Kyle Ruschel from Kentucky and Jordan Leen (Cornell) and Nick Marable (Missouri) from Tennessee having success at the national level, major colleges are looking more at southern states.  However, make no mistake about it, the perception still exists that a 3rd place wrestler in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey New York or Illinois would be a better D1 potential than a 3X Alabama or Kentucky state champion.

Until our wrestlers have more success at the highest level, that perception will persist.  Wish Ruschell would have had a better NCAA tournament last year. Trust me, D1 coaches noticed Jordan Leen and Nick Marable last year, and will glance an eye down at Tennessee because of that.  Success at the next level will open more doors.

I'd say Harrison feels like he's burnt out of wrestling.  He's been competing at a very high level for a few years now and he probably just wants to take a break.  Everyone has told him that in order to be the best, wrestling has to be your life and he doesn't want that.  He wants to enjoy the college experience and I think that's perfectly fine.  Am I disappointed that a talent of this caliber is not being used?  Honestly yes but I'm not disappointed in Harrison at all.  He's a great person and someone all young wrestlers and non-wrestlers for that matter should look up to and model their lives after.  Courtney has been a model citizen and I can only hope that he is as proud of himself as his coaches and parents are of him.

As far as Mark Perry being majored by an NAIA wrestler I don't think that happened but I could be wrong, I was once before lol jk jk.  If you're referring to the beginning of last season then it was Chris Brown from Old Dominion University, which is DI.  Brown is an exceptional athlete and was highly touted coming out of one of the best high schools in the country, Great Bridge in Virginia.  His coach is now his former high school coach, Steve Martin.  Not many highly ranked (top 10) DI wrestlers get beat by DII, DIII and NAIA wrestlers.  They make wrestling their lives to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Mark Perry was beaten (and I'm fairly sure he was majored) by Jacob Dieffenbach, 2X NAIA national champion 1X runner up.

This will probably not be received well, however part of the problem Kentucky wrestlers face coming out of high school is that they wrestle in a state in the South.  GRADUALLY the perception that southern states do not have superior wrestling talent is changing.  With schools like Bradenton, Florida and individuals like Kyle Ruschel from Kentucky and Jordan Leen (Cornell) and Nick Marable (Missouri) from Tennessee having success at the national level, major colleges are looking more at southern states.  However, make no mistake about it, the perception still exists that a 3rd place wrestler in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey New York or Illinois would be a better D1 potential than a 3X Alabama or Kentucky state champion.

Until our wrestlers have more success at the highest level, that perception will persist.  Wish Ruschell would have had a better NCAA tournament last year. Trust me, D1 coaches noticed Jordan Leen and Nick Marable last year, and will glance an eye down at Tennessee because of that.  Success at the next level will open more doors.

Wrestling Dad you hit the nail on the head. The south is considered to be a football and basketball talent rich area, but as you said, when the few D1 recruits begin to show they can compete and win on the D1 level then you will see more and more big time schools coming below the mason-dixon line to sign quality athletes.

Mark Perry was beaten (and I'm fairly sure he was majored) by Jacob Dieffenbach, 2X NAIA national champion 1X runner up.

Was Perry beaten by Dieffenbach when he was at Lindenwood or when he transferred to Oklahoma State for his senior year?  I don't bring this up to detract from your argument; I agree that the NAIA is a tough division.  Dieffenbach was a different story though - he transferred from Missouri to Lindenwood after redshirting, had a great career in the NAIA, then transferred to Oklahoma State his senior year.  He was ranked pretty highly most of the season, earning that ranking after beating some tough opponents (one of which, I presume, was Perry), but was unfortunately hurt prior to the national tournament.  He did wrestle nationals, but I think he ended up a match out of placing.

I watched Bobby Lashley, Turk Lords, and Emmett Wilson all beat down D-1 competition. These guys were all extraordinary athletes that represented the NAIA. They all could of went D-1, but chose not to because of a reason or another. Just because a kid wants to wrestle close to home or a school that they may like is okay. If he doesn't want to burn out and just enjoy his schooling we should be just happy that he is representing our state. He will still get tough competition no matter where he chooses to wrestle.

I watched Bobby Lashley, Turk Lords, and Emmett Wilson all beat down D-1 competition. These guys were all extraordinary athletes that represented the NAIA. They all could of went D-1, but chose not to because of a reason or another. Just because a kid wants to wrestle close to home or a school that they may like is okay. If he doesn't want to burn out and just enjoy his schooling we should be just happy that he is representing our state. He will still get tough competition no matter where he chooses to wrestle.

Regardless, D1 had the highest level of competition. There's no argument. NAIA/D2/D3 may have good competition and there may be a few individuals that can hang with D1 opponents, but D1 is way ahead of the pack in terms of competition/quality of wrestling.