stand-up

Woodford County

Bulldog-leader also makes a very valid point.  I admitted that we were not the best team in the 80's, our record speaks for that.  What if you were to wrestle four years in the 90's or 00's?  Would you still never lose to a Woodford kid.  I can guarantee that you would, no matter the weight class.

No he would not, but there were a few who did. Wilkens, Zinga.

Coach K:

please give examples of the "many kids encouraged to trasfer to WC." I'm curious.

I approached WC when seeking a transfer. No "recruiting" has EVER taken place, as far as I know.

This subject is getting old. When one team is dominant there will always be detractors. This thread is evidence of that.  Union Co. has been pretty dominant the last 2 yrs. That makes me happy as a fan of KY wrestling. The more teams we have that are perennial powerhouses, the better the state is for it. How can you all not see that?

Arguing over who would lose to whom is childish, by the way. We're all old and washed up. Harrison Courtney or Mitch Ervin would mop us up. Accept it.

I hate seeing the direction this thread has taken.  My original post was meant to pay tribute to what I believe is the best wrestling program in this state.  Some may disagree, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.  I meant no disrespect to any other programs or that of my own.  I just wanted to express that while sitting in the stands at the state tournament, I found my self thinking about how different my wrestling career might have been if I could have wrestled at a school like Woodford Co.  Having Coached for a few years now, I have had the pleasure of talking with both Coaches Parks and Carr, both of whom I have grown to have the highest amount of respect and admiration.  I know that there is a lot of animosity towards Woodford Co. out there, I'm not exactly sure why, but it was not my intention to stir the pot.  I wish everyone could wrestler at a school with outstanding coaches, huge well equipped wrestling rooms, Supportive administration and a extremely loud and loyal fan base.  Since thats wasn't the atmosphere I wrestled in, or now coach in, all I can do is keeping working day by day to bring my program up to the level that will fulfill the potential of all my wrestlers.

I hate seeing the direction this thread has taken.  My original post was meant to pay tribute to what I believe is the best wrestling program in this state.  Some may disagree, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.  I meant no disrespect to any other programs or that of my own.  I just wanted to express that while sitting in the stands at the state tournament, I found my self thinking about how different my wrestling career might have been if I could have wrestled at a school like Woodford Co.  Having Coached for a few years now, I have had the pleasure of talking with both Coaches Parks and Carr, both of whom I have grown to have the highest amount of respect and admiration.   I know that there is a lot of animosity towards Woodford Co. out there, I'm not exactly sure why, but it was not my intention to stir the pot.  I wish everyone could wrestler at a school with outstanding coaches, huge well equipped wrestling rooms, Supportive administration and a extremely loud and loyal fan base.  Since thats wasn't the atmosphere I wrestled in, or now coach in, all I can do is keeping working day by day to bring my program up to the level that will fulfill the potential of all my wrestlers.

Now that is the kind of post that pays a good program an awsome complement. 

To want to make your team like or similar to another program is a great complement.  There are several benchmarks that small and builting programs try and emulate. Woodford, Cambpell, Larue to name a few.

If you dont go to the mat with a win at all cost attitude how can you expect to be dominate. Gable is probably considered the greatest coach of all time and i assure you he went to the mat to win, period. This doesnt mean you have to be dirty or break rules but you play the game to win. Why would you train so hard and suffer so much for no reward. Go tell coach Brands at Iowa that you want to wrestle for him but you arent there to win. Lossing has to be unacceptable. With that said lossing is inevitable and must be done with grace but when you lose it should light a fire under you to go train twice as hard. Do or do not there is no try. They dont give medals out for moral victories. Perfection is expected and excellence will be tolerated any thing else is unacceptable.   

Guest The Great And Powerful Oz

ccwrestler^oldschool - you speak of what you clearly know nothing about.  Some people do not like Coach Bankemper.  Usually that lasts until they meet him or get to know him.  He's a great guy, and you are right to be proud of him and the CC program.  Same with the Carrs and most of Woodford County wrestlers.  KYGrappler is still an idiot, but most of their wrestlers are outstanding people who you'd love to have on your team.  Coach Carr & Parks are 2 very classy people and have taught me many important life lessons over the years.

Please pick up your diploma on the way out the door.

I guess I am one of the few that wrestled in the 90's and never got beat by a Woodford County kid. Guess I was just lucky. I do not like Woodford but it is from their success, not because of their kids. Never had a problem with the kids or coaches, other than one time one coach didn't want to shake my hand. It was understandable though. I forgave him at church.

Woodford County is the Duke of Kentucky Wrestling.

I understand and agree with your comparison but please don't mention us and Duke in the same sentence.  I guess I don't like them for the same reason people don't like us.  But it's also because of the Christian Laettner shot (he pushed off) and when he stepped on the chest of Aminu Timberlake during the game.  Laettner should have been ejected for that.