stand-up

Woodford County

After everything is said and done I can't help but envy the Woodford County wrestling program.  Who wouldn't want to wrestle at Woodford, the best coaches, best facilities and best community support.  I know that if I had it all over to do again, thats where I would choose to go.  Wrestling isn't just another sport that short kids do in the winter at Woodford, it's a way of life.  Nowhere else in the state will you find the type of passion and dedication to the sport of wrestling like that of Woodford Co. The rest of us watch and ridicule when a Woodford Co. kid struggles with his emotions after a loss, but I think winning means more to them.  Every kid on that team believes that he should be able to bring home a state title like the many wrestlers before him.  Winning is what Woodford does, they train to win, they drill to win and they expect to win.  While most teams struggle to fill their line-ups, Woodford Co. dominates year after year.  In what was considered to be a down year, Woodford still put 4 kids in the finals.  That is the type of program that I wish everyone had the opportunity to participate in, especially me.

I was thinking the same thing stand-up.  I wouldn't mind wrestling for Union County either.  However, how many programs would like to have a "down" year and still place 4 in the finals with 2 champions?  I think someone said in an earlier thread that they have been in the top 3 at state the last 18 years.  I think it shows the level of their success and competitiveness when they step on the mat & expect to win and accept nothing less.  I think it is also shown in the fact that everyone else, including those they wrestle, expects the same thing.  I see a lot of kids take pride in the fact that they beat a Woodford wrestler even if the kid is not one of their better wrestlers.  That says a lot in itself.

I would not trade my team or coach for the Woodford Co. program.

I sure hope that your friends, family, team mates, and coaches don't see the post you just made.  You have just disrespected all of them in one swoop.

I however would not trade my experience with who I consider the best coach in Ky.  Coach Bankemper.  Not only did he teach us to win but he taught us how to win with grace and also lose with grace.  He does not teach to win at all costs, but he does teach to expect to win no matter what.  I don't know of many CC wrestlers that were intimidated by a Woodford Co. wrestler.  I for one am certain I was not nor did I ever lose to a Woodford Co. wrestler that I can remember, nor Hopkinsville, Union Co., Trinity.  I can guarantee the purple and gold to not fear the black and gold.  Honestly I'm not sure that Bankemper's head to head individual record is not favorable to CC, but that is impossible to research. 

As for the community, Campbell Co. gets just as much support if not more than any other community.

When you walk down the street and eat out somewhere it is inevitable that you will either hear or see something about Campbell Co. wrestling. 

Lastly.  The only thing WC has over CC is that they have smaller wrestling communities near them to draw upon.  Many do just what you are saying you would do if you could go back and do it again.  This does not happen very often in NKy, but has been going on for decades in Lexington.

This had to be the most disgusting thing I have ever read on here.  Not because it was Woodford Co., but because of the disrespect of your coach and community.

I sure hope that your friends, family, team mates, and coaches don't see the post you just made.  You have just disrespected all of them in one swoop.

I however would not trade my experience with who I consider the best coach in Ky.  Coach Bankemper.  Not only did he teach us to win but he taught us how to win with grace and also lose with grace.  He does not teach to win at all costs, but he does teach to expect to win no matter what.  I don't know of many CC wrestlers that were intimidated by a Woodford Co. wrestler.  I for one am certain I was not nor did I ever lose to a Woodford Co. wrestler that I can remember, nor Hopkinsville, Union Co., Trinity.  I can guarantee the purple and gold to not fear the black and gold.  Honestly I'm not sure that Bankemper's head to head individual record is not favorable to CC, but that is impossible to research. 

As for the community, Campbell Co. gets just as much support if not more than any other community.

When you walk down the street and eat out somewhere it is inevitable that you will either hear or see something about Campbell Co. wrestling. 

Lastly.  The only thing WC has over CC is that they have smaller wrestling communities near them to draw upon.  Many do just what you are saying you would do if you could go back and do it again.  This does not happen very often in NKy, but has been going on for decades in Lexington.

This had to be the most disgusting thing I have ever read on here.  Not because it was Woodford Co., but because of the disrespect of your coach and community.

We get it, you love Bankemper.  Good for you.  Stand up is a coach.  I don't think his remark disrespected anyone.  Havign wrestled for WC, I can understand the envy, and it's not like we haven't worked for it.  As far as the most disgusting thing you've read?  If you're that easily offended, go ahead and make that your 1 and only post.

Campbell County doesn't hold a candle to WC's tradition and community support. Sorry that you feel CC and your coach deserve more attention (which is obviously why you posted in a thread about Woodford).  Everyone in KY should be proud that WC is in your state and you get a chance to compete against them yearly. I used to love beating WC wrestlers, until I transferred and became one.

I glad for you that you feel that strongly about your team, coach and school, but many of us wrestled and do wrestle at schools where no cares about wrestling.  Where I went to HS in Tennessee, football was everything, and yes I was Captain of the football team.  We had 10.000 people in the stands for every home football game (this was before video games, cable TV and the internet), we had the best coaches, equipment and support; little kids would stop us in the mall to ask for our autographs.  Wrestling was different, we had a coach that never wrestled before, we had to pay for our equipment and only 20 people ever showed up to watch us wrestle.  Trust me, the guys on my team would understand how I feel, they knew how much I loved wrestling and they too would have liked to have wrestled at a school that valued wrestling like the way my school valued football.

As a coach, I won't feel disrespected if I heard one of my kid say he would rather be at Woodford.  Some athletes want to be challenged, they want to be given all the tools necessary to succeed, in those situations winning is expected and some athletes like that pressure to win. 

I am a coach as well.  No disrespect was meant towards any other program or wrestlers so I'm sorry if you took it that way.  I wrestled in Southern Indiana and everyone knew about Mater Dei.  They still do to this day.  Mater Dei was the measuring stick to how good your program was in Indiana.  If you could somewhat compete with Mater Dei (not many could) you had a pretty decent program.  I know Memorial was not "scared" of Mater Dei, but they could hardly ever beat them either.  In my opinion, Woodford County is the measuring stick for Kentucky wrestling.  Yes there are other good programs in the state and other good wrestlers, that is a given.  However, no program can boast of the number of state titles for individuals or the team that Woodford can.  Does anyone else have 55 or 56 (whatever it's up to) individual state championships.  Does any other school have a streak of 18 straight top 3 finishes at state.  That is not including the number of regional titles or individual regional titles Woodford has.  Hell in a good year, only a handful of programs would have 4 finalists and 2 state champions.  Coach Bankemper is an excellent coach, no doubt.  However, I don't think he has the on-the-mat accolades that the Carrs do.  I know if I were a high school wrestler again and someone asked me would I want to wrestle under my high school coach who wrestled at Indiana State with Bruce Baumgartner or would I want to wrestle for Coach Goebel from Mater Dei, no offense to my coach, but I would have chosen Coach Goebel.  My coach would have even said I was an idiot if I did not choose Coach Goebel.  The same thing can be said for the Carrs and Coach Parks.  I don't think either stand-up or myself were disrespecting other programs, wrestlers or even our own programs.  We were simply paying due respect to the program Woodford has built over the years.  Union County, Campbell County, Ryle, Wayne County, Trinity, etc have built pretty darn good programs as well, but over the course of time, which is how great programs are measured, they aren't even with Woodford County.  Close, but not even.  That's all.

I used to love beating WC wrestlers, until I transferred and became one.

This is what put them over the top over years nothing else. 

DM-  On the mat accolodes mean very little when coaching.  I guess if you were not an olympic level wrestler you can never coach to that level?  Not true. 

As for tradition and so forth.  Woodford started their prestigious tradition in the 70's and now have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation wrestlers.  Campbell started in late 80's early 90 with thier tradition.  The true test will be when Bankemper finally retires.  If they continue with their success they will catch up. 

I did not say that Woodford Co. did not have a grand tradition, it is just the trasfer, or move to that school talk is where I find the problem. 

We get it, you love Bankemper.  Good for you.  Stand up is a coach.  I don't think his remark disrespected anyone.  Havign wrestled for WC, I can understand the envy, and it's not like we haven't worked for it.  As far as the most disgusting thing you've read?  If you're that easily offended, go ahead and make that your 1 and only post.

If only we had a few posts from yourself.  Most are just bashing others or acting superior to the rest of the group.

What put Woodford Co over the top was and is hard working kids and great coaches. Yes they have had a transfer or two, but if you go down the list of state champs I would bet heavily on the fact that the vast majority of those kids was a Woodford county kid before they reached high school.

I do agree with your anger about transfering to a school to play sports. This is not the NCAA or the pros. I am disgusted when parents go over the top so their kids can play sports. My parents never would have moved to a new school district just so I could play more or get to a better coach.

I believe that if a kid wants to play a sport why not move to area where they can have the best opportunities. I think it is stupid that if you transfer during the season you cannot continue playing that sport, high school is supposed to be about getting an education and that is supposed to be equal at every school.

I glad for you that you feel that strongly about your team, coach and school, but many of us wrestled and do wrestle at schools where no cares about wrestling.  Where I went to HS in Tennessee, football was everything, and yes I was Captain of the football team.  We had 10.000 people in the stands for every home football game (this was before video games, cable TV and the internet), we had the best coaches, equipment and support; little kids would stop us in the mall to ask for our autographs.  Wrestling was different, we had a coach that never wrestled before, we had to pay for our equipment and only 20 people ever showed up to watch us wrestle.  Trust me, the guys on my team would understand how I feel, they knew how much I loved wrestling and they too would have liked to have wrestled at a school that valued wrestling like the way my school valued football.

As a coach, I won't feel disrespected if I heard one of my kid say he would rather be at Woodford.  Some athletes want to be challenged, they want to be given all the tools necessary to succeed, in those situations winning is expected and some athletes like that pressure to win. 

stand-up makes a valid point.  I think there's something to be said for schools where wrestling is a top-priority sport. Where I wrestled (it's so weird putting that extra 'd' now), like stand-up, we never had more than a few fans and the team numbered in the single digits.  I grew so much with my small school's even smaller wrestling program and I wouldn't trade all that I learned and experienced for the world, but clearly I would have done better to have had a larger team with a more committed membership, where wrestling was a bigger deal (a function of the school).  This is indeed something that a school like WC dominates in.

stand-up makes a valid point.  I think there's something to be said for schools where wrestling is a top-priority sport. Where I wrestled (it's so weird putting that extra 'd' now), like stand-up, we never had more than a few fans and the team numbered in the single digits.  I grew so much with my small school's even smaller wrestling program and I wouldn't trade all that I learned and experienced for the world, but clearly I would have done better to have had a larger team with a more committed membership, where wrestling was a bigger deal (a function of the school).  This is indeed something that a school like WC dominates in.

What about your coach 125kid, where's the love man.  I'm sure your coach wouldn't have traded you for five WC wrestlers.

DM-  On the mat accolodes mean very little when coaching.  I guess if you were not an olympic level wrestler you can never coach to that level?  Not true. 

As for tradition and so forth.  Woodford started their prestigious tradition in the 70's and now have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation wrestlers.  Campbell started in late 80's early 90 with thier tradition.  The true test will be when Bankemper finally retires.  If they continue with their success they will catch up. 

I did not say that Woodford Co. did not have a grand tradition, it is just the trasfer, or move to that school talk is where I find the problem. 

The bolded part is not even worth a response even though I'm going to give one.  You know it's not true, now your just trying to maliciously tear down the program.  Since 1995 I can only think of three wrestlers who transferred during high school, and only one was a state champ (the other two placed though).  Please, former/current Woodford wrestlers and supporters, do not react to this statement by lowering yourself to his level and embarrasing the program (believe me I wanted to too).

As far as the rest of your post, if you knew the facts, which you obviously don't as shown by the bolded statement, you would know that the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation wrestlers have had a minimal impact on the success of the Woodford program.  Obviously some are going to come through but I can only think of a handful, Courtney being one. 

If you examine the history you will see three different phases.  The first was when Jack Cline started the program and ran it through the early seventies.  Then various coaches ran the program until a young Rusty Parks was hired as an assistant in 1977, the year we won our fifth title.

The next phase starts around here sometime.  Coach Parks took over the next year and ran the program for awhile before hiring Joe Carr Sr who was recently looking to coach after the UK program was axed.  Somehow, Coach Parks recruited Coach Carr to teach and obviously coach in Woodford County.  I'll admit that the previous success probably played at least a small factor.  As Coach Parks and Carr worked to develop their coaching strategies and mesh ideas the team struggled, at least according to our standards.  The teams were in awesome physical condition but they did not work effectively; being in great shape is important but it alone will not win you a state championship, in wrestling you must put together technique, conditioning, strength, mental toughness, flexibility, etc.  The coaches realized this and started to change their coaching strategies.

This puts us in the late eighties/early nineties for the third stage.  The teams early on here were Woodford County's best.  Almost everyone in the Woodford program agrees that the '93 is would dominate any other, although the '96 and '97 teams were tough as well.  Another aspect here was the presence of the middle school program who was run by then high school football coach Buck Stewart, who moved to West Virginia after the '99 season.  This was when few, if any, other high school teams had middle schools feeding them 3rd and 4th year wrestlers, so we had a definite advantage.  Since Coach Stewart moved we have been on a slow but steady decline, partially due to his departure but also because other teams developed those feeder programs around the same time.

We now seem to be entering a possible fourth stage if we cannot get our middle school program back to the top which will in turn feed the high school already accomplished and experienced wrestlers.  But believe me, we have people working on that.  :-D

ccwrestler:

I wrestled at a school that didn't give a $hit about wrestling. I went to state and earned 90% of my team's points. We didn't even have "required" practices over X-mas. I would end up going to other team's in the area practices. That was not the kind of program I wanted to be part of. I wanted to be challenged, pushed, and coached to perfection. I transferred to WC to better myself as a wrestler and as a person. I placed high, won a team title and got a college scholarship. I can only remember 3 transfers since '97. They have played a VERY minimal role in WC's succcess. As stated previously, the success is a product of a great youth wrestling program and the best coaches that KY wrestling has ever seen.

What about your coach 125kid, where's the love man.  I'm sure your coach wouldn't have traded you for five WC wrestlers.

Nope, and I wouldn't have traded my coach either.

ccwrestler:

I wanted to be challenged, pushed, and coached to perfection. I transferred to WC to better myself as a wrestler and as a person. I placed high, won a team title and got a college scholarship.

I assume you also agree with the transfers to Trinity and St. X.  for football?  If you are you are in the minority.  I personally don't care, but Trinity also knows that this is the reason they are so dominate.

the best coaches that KY wrestling has ever seen.
  We will just have to disagree on this.  It's personal preference. I prefer a gentleman coach, who teaches you respect and honor, to a win at all cost coach. 

I assume you also agree with the transfers to Trinity and St. X.  for football?  If you are you are in the minority.  I personally don't care, but Trinity also knows that this is the reason they are so dominate. 

Don't speak of what you don't know.  There have been very few, if any, transfers to either St. X. or Trinity for football and definitely none that have helped their programs.  Where people focus their attention when dealing with the X & Trinity football programs is on "unfair" recruiting of middle school kids or at least that is what most try to claim.  Now off the football subject because this is a kentucky wrestling forum.

We will just have to disagree on this.  It's personal preference. I prefer a gentleman coach, who teaches you respect and honor, to a win at all cost coach. 

You obviously don't know Coach Carr personally or you wouldn't even suggest this, let alone believe it.  One of two things is obviously going on.  One, you're trying to get a rise out of the Woodford people on here. Or two, you have wrestled someone from Woodford County and got beat so badly that you felt like you had no chance so you insult the integrity of one of the best men I have ever been associated with.  No offense to my father but Coach Carr has taught me a great deal about life, much more than wrestling.

I however would not trade my experience with who I consider the best coach in Ky.  Coach Bankemper.  Not only did he teach us to win but he taught us how to win with grace and also lose with grace.  He does not teach to win at all costs, but he does teach to expect to win no matter what.  I don't know of many CC wrestlers that were intimidated by a Woodford Co. wrestler.  I for one am certain I was not nor did I ever lose to a Woodford Co. wrestler that I can remember, nor Hopkinsville, Union Co., Trinity.   I can guarantee the purple and gold to not fear the black and gold.  Honestly I'm not sure that Bankemper's head to head individual record is not favorable to CC, but that is impossible to research. 

jpizar83:  What a joke to even infer that about me.  I guide you back to my earlier post, the bolded part. 

DM:  That is exactly what I am talking about, as I stated I'm not against it, just admit it and move on. I am all for kids going where they believe they can get better and suceed.

Sorry PL.

I would assume he was probably referring to the recruitment practices more so than transfers...you are right there are very few transfers to either of those schools but many encouraged to go there.  It will continue forever so most people need to just accept it and be mad about it but not much else you can do. 

Don't speak of what you don't know.  There have been very few, if any, transfers to either St. X. or Trinity for football and definitely none that have helped their programs.  Where people focus their attention when dealing with the X & Trinity football programs is on "unfair" recruiting of middle school kids or at least that is what most try to claim.  Now off the football subject because this is a kentucky wrestling forum.

ccwrestler^oldschool;

Don't try to make yourself more than what you truely are.  You know that when we wrestled 80's. Woodford was not the powerhouse they are now. Almost eveyone on our team could make the same claim about WC.

Quit trying to "Give it back to them" (your words not mine).  Fighting fire with fire in this case is not the correct way to handle this, throw some water on the topic and move on. Otherwise we need to return to the mat and I'll whoop you like I did way back when.

Sorry I guess I forgot that fact while posting.  My point really is that you don't know Coach Carr personally, nor have you seen his instructions, both on and off the mat.  Until you have don't even begin to question his character.  Doing so just makes you look ignorant.  Every educated person involved with Kentucky wrestling knows that both Carr's, Rusty Parks and the rest of the Woodford coaches have taught a "hidden curriculum".  In case you aren't aware this is something from the school systems where respect, punctuality, responsibility and character are taught.

Bulldog-leader also makes a very valid point.  I admitted that we were not the best team in the 80's, our record speaks for that.  What if you were to wrestle four years in the 90's or 00's?  Would you still never lose to a Woodford kid.  I can guarantee that you would, no matter the weight class.