Sign in to follow this  
three

Tappin Out

Does anyone know if there was very much discussion on this subject? I dont think that if you are on your back you should be able to stop the match. If you are getting pinned and tap the match should be over.  It was very embarrassing to watch certain wrestlers tap out over and over again.  Hopefully the refs can do a better job at controlling the abuse of the tap out. :|

Guest acwrestler32

i think its pointless... if your not man enough to accept defeat once in a while instead of stopping the match just so you can take a breather or if it hurts then you shouldnt be wrestling in the first place.

At the Rules Clinic for coaches it was discussed that there is going to be a rule change. There is a possibility of 3 options to the tapping out.

1. Match is stopped. wrestler on top is awarded 3 points for near fall plus 5 points for stopping match. total of 8 points.

2. Match is over if a tap out is seen. they loose.

3. ? don't remember

It's not going to happen this year.

the tap out would be a really cool part of the match if the tapping out wrestler immediately lost like ufc or something

i remember when i first started wrestling i was shocked that there actually was a tap out, it seemed really wweish

At the Rules Clinic for coaches it was discussed that there is going to be a rule change. There is a possibility of 3 options to the tapping out.

1. Match is stopped. wrestler on top is awarded 3 points for near fall plus 5 points for stopping match. total of 8 points.

2. Match is over if a tap out is seen. they loose.

3. ? don't remember

It's not going to happen this year.

This is a start in the right direction Coach, but what happens if a kids cries out before going to his back. That is what happened down state repeatedly last year, before near fall was awarded. A kid knows if the wrestler on top has a deep running half and near fall is eminent that a whimper and a squeal will stop the match. What happens then?

i hate the tap out thing, i can understand the match being stopped if a wrestler is getting ready to pass out but if you tap you should forfeit your right to continue in the match!

This argument is just like the argument about welfare.

1.  There is no tap out in wrestling.  (Unless it is in the new rule book, I have not got my hands on the new books yet).  People have been calling it this, for lack of a better term.  There is however an injury time out. 

2.  The injury time out was set up so that when an injured wrestler is legitimately injured they will not be penalized.  example a hyperextended elbow or shoulder. 

3.  This rule has evolved into a time out call.  The reason was that the referee's were not doctors and could not be held liable for making a wrong call.  (Meaning if a kid was actually hurt and they allowed the wrestling to continue)(LAW SUITES)

4.  Much like welfare in the United States this rule/law has been abused and is being used by some NOT the way it was intended. 

Some people think this is a way of using or bending the rules (Much like stalling can be used as a technique, or false starting)  (I can somewhat understand this thinking)

Some people think it is cheating. (I understand this also)

Many believe this is unethical (This is where I fall) 

There are gentleman rules in every sport.  Wrestling has quite a few.

examples.

1.  When starting on top you don't move your finger or tickle the bottom man to cause a false start

2.  You don't pull an opponents hands together to force locked hands.

3.  You don't call time out because your out of shape, or to get advice from your coach.

4.  You don't whisper in your opponents ear innappropriate things about his mother or others.

This calling time out before you are pinned falls in this category.  It is up to the coach to call his wrestlers on this.  I know that in Nky coach Baddida and most certinly Coach Bankemper would not allow it from their wrestlers.

I don't have the answer for this one, but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Instead of getting rid of the rule lets decide a way to police it better.

(Dang another long post) :-D

1.  There is no tap out in wrestling.  (Unless it is in the new rule book, I have not got my hands on the new books yet).  People have been calling it this, for lack of a better term.  There is however an injury time out. 

2.  The injury time out was set up so that when an injured wrestler is legitimately injured they will not be penalized.  example a hyperextended elbow or shoulder. 

3.  This rule has evolved into a time out call.  The reason was that the referee's were not doctors and could not be held liable for making a wrong call.  (Meaning if a kid was actually hurt and they allowed the wrestling to continue)(LAW SUITES)

4.  Much like welfare in the United States this rule/law has been abused and is being used by some NOT the way it was intended. 

Some people think this is a way of using or bending the rules (Much like stalling can be used as a technique, or false starting)  (I can somewhat understand this thinking)

examples.

1.  When starting on top you don't move your finger or tickle the bottom man to cause a false start

3.  You don't call time out because your out of shape, or to get advice from your coach.

4.  You don't whisper in your opponents ear innappropriate things about his mother or others.

This calling time out before you are pinned falls in this category.  It is up to the coach to call his wrestlers on this.  I know that in Nky coach Baddida and most certinly Coach Bankemper would not allow it from their wrestlers.

I don't have the answer for this one, but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Instead of getting rid of the rule lets decide a way to police it better.

Interestingly, the tap out issue was recently discussed in the wrestling update booklet under the topic unsportsmanship. The booklet made reference to this act being unsportsman and must be policed by wrestlers, coaches, referees and the fans! It offered no other solution. I, however, interpret being discussed under the unsportsman heading,  if a referee believes the tap out was suspect and occured inappropriately, it is unsportsmanship and a one point penalty should be assessed regardless of the position. OR, the referee could declare flagrant misconduct and disqualify the wrestler. In order for this to be successfully implemented, the coaching staff will have to step up and educate their wrestlers and fans so when it occurs there will be a minimal disturbance and irate parents won't be storming the mat especially if deemed flagrant misconduct.  We do rely on our referees to make judgement calls all the time, if in their judgement it occured, then let the hatchet fall.

Kdsmith made reference to numerous points being awarded if tap out occurs.  I am not aware of this being written in the current wrestling literature, but would love to see it if this has already been an established rule. 

With the new default rule this year, a coach can stop a match at any time and default his wrestler.  I believe that it's a coached responsibility to make his wrestler take a default he taps out.  If A guys taps out that should mean, I'm done, I can't take it no more,get this guy off of me it's over. The tapping guy should have to default, that the way I see it.

With the new default rule this year, a coach can stop a match at any time and default his wrestler.  I believe that it's a coached responsibility to make his wrestler take a default he taps out.  If A guys taps out that should mean, I'm done, I can't take it no more,get this guy off of me it's over. The tapping guy should have to default, that the way I see it.

I agree.  As a coach, I won't stand for one of my kids crying foul when nothings wrong.  It demeans the sport.

examples.

LOL... #4 You don't whisper in your opponents ear innappropriate things about his mother or others. (that is too funny)

This goes both ways, what if wrestlers start intentionally making the other wrestler tap out?

He wins, if you can't take the heat get out of the oven.  As long as a hold isn't potentially dangerous or illegal then there is no reason to tap out.  Sure, sometimes holds can be painful - leg scissors, hammer locks, guillotines and banana splits hurt like hell, but we're talking about wrestling.  If a wrestler can't take the pain by all means tap out, but he should accept defeat like a man.  This isn't soccer or lacrosse this is a sport that separates the men form the boys.  If you don't want to be put in uncomfortable situations you shouldn't be out there.

i like the 3 back points and 5 for stopping rule. So even if they aren't on their back there is a point penalty. On another note, due to some occurances of tapping out by certain individuals at state last year to health issues.

With problems such as with asthma and other breathing problems... if you can't go hard for six minutes without taking a break a using your inhaler, then maybe wrestling is not for you. Especially for some of those people who abuse that dissorder. I know some people who had asthma and actually conditioned so much that they never got tired enough to even need an inhaler again. Wrestling is supposed to be one of the toughest sports in the world, but with these types of occurances happening more often I feel like wrestling is losing its pride/respect

I think that tapping out should't be allowed. My reasoning is that if you're truly in pain, you'll be making some kind of noise or you will tell the ref you're done. I think that if it is allowed, a ref should be able to know when someone is faking it or if they are really hurt. I saw a few times last year when people were about to get pinned they would start tapping and saying they were getting hurt from moves like half nelsons...

I think that tapping out should't be allowed. My reasoning is that if you're truly in pain, you'll be making some kind of noise or you will tell the ref you're done. I think that if it is allowed, a ref should be able to know when someone is faking it or if they are really hurt. I saw a few times last year when people were about to get pinned they would start tapping and saying they were getting hurt from moves like half nelsons...

[glow=purple,2,300] If your in a headlock or so, say after being hiptossed, and you cannot breath you will not be able to tell the ref, tapping out would be the only way to let him know. But sure, if you're face is bright red and youre cheeks and mouth are making fart noises, the ref would probly stop the match IF it was bad enough.[/glow]

He wins, if you can't take the heat get out of the oven.  As long as a hold isn't potentially dangerous or illegal then there is no reason to tap out.  Sure, sometimes holds can be painful - leg scissors, hammer locks, guillotines and banana splits hurt like hell, but we're talking about wrestling.  If a wrestler can't take the pain by all means tap out, but he should accept defeat like a man.  This isn't soccer or lacrosse this is a sport that separates the men form the boys.  If you don't want to be put in uncomfortable situations you shouldn't be out there.

[glow=purple,2,300]Freakin A![/glow]

[glow=purple,2,300]Freakin A![/glow]

I think lowsingle140 realizes moves are painful.  Those moves you are listing are all legal, and are no brainers.  If a guy taps out there, so be it.  I think he'll get nothing but a laugh out of the referee if he's screaming or tapping in a 1/2 nelson.  What I'm worried will start happening is kids will start using their favorite choke holds they see on UFC in h.s. wrestling.  I think that's where he was going with this.  I know I've watched some UFC matches where it's not always obvious how a guy is getting submitted or choked out.  H.s. referees are not going to have the experience to look for all these submission moves.

As was mentioned on this subject a long time ago, a referee is not going to make a judgement call on whether or not a kid is legitimately injured.  I believe that puts a ref (and coach, and KHSAA...) at great risk for a major lawsuit. 

As far as kids faking it...that's what we're talking about here...that's an honor thing, and I think all the uproar about this from last year has caught the coaches' attention.  I believe coaches will and should drill it in their kids' heads that the kids should not do this.  I don't think you are going to see kids tapping out much next year if at all.  I know some coaches have said their team is adopting a policy that if you tap out, the match is over...their coach will forfeit the match for you no questions asked. 

And another thing.....i know i'll get slammed for saying this....hasn't this subject been dragged out enough?

examples.

The whispering thing is funny. About 4 years ago .. ,I think, when Kris Perry was a senior, everyone was hyping up Derek Scott to beat Perry. They talked about how Scott beat Marcum Slappy ext.. Well Perry met up with Scott in the Semi's that year at state and Kris kept whispering in Scott's ear "I'm not Slappy." Kris ended up maj. dec. him 13-2. He wrestled better when he was angry needless to say.   :lol: