Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

Re-alignment???

I've only "heard" of a few changes.  I heard Seneca will be leaving Region 4 and going to Region 5.  And  that Bullitt Central and Meade Co. will be leaving Region 3 and going to Region 2.  Anybody got anything else?

Guest wrestler92

There's no way I can see them moving Seneca like that....That district/region was tough to wrestle in,when J-ton was good too, and would be even harder now.

if Seneca left Region 4 that would leave only

Trinity

St.X

Moore

Central

Manual

KSB

Atherton

Basically 5 teams. Who would then be added? No way you can leave it like that.

I've only "heard" of a few changes.  I heard Seneca will be leaving Region 4 and going to Region 5.  And  that Bullitt Central and Meade Co. will be leaving Region 3 and going to Region 2.  Anybody got anything else?

I also heard Fern Creek was being put in Region 3.

We could use more teams in region 2. this would be great.

Can anyone tell me if it is true that Boone Co. is getting a team back in NKY?

I've heard that one of Campbell's old asst. coaches was going to go there and maybe the Holmes coach.

I know there has been talk about this for years but the rumors seem to be more this year than ever.

Yes Boone County will have a wrestling team next  year.

I however will not be coaching it.  The head coach (I don't know his name) I believe wrestled for West Point, and was who convinced the school to restart the program.  The assistant coach is Andy Sherlock, he was an assistant at campbell a couple of years ago.

I recieved an e-mail from Coach Sherlock about 1 week ago about this.  Glad to have another team in Region 6.  Now if we can get Holy Cross and Loyd to bring back their teams.

Yes Boone County will have a wrestling team next  year.

I however will not be coaching it.  The head coach (I don't know his name) I believe wrestled for West Point, and was who convinced the school to restart the program.  The assistant coach is Andy Sherlock, he was an assistant at campbell a couple of years ago.

I recieved an e-mail from Coach Sherlock about 1 week ago about this.  Glad to have another team in Region 6.  Now if we can get Holy Cross and Loyd to bring back their teams.

When all of that happens which team(s) get shifted out in a realignment?  Because you know Boone will produce some good kids if not a pretty good team eventually. 

"there isn't realignment on the table. I want to do some realigning, but it won't be probably until next year. What happens is that we draft it here and bounce it off our board, then we submit it to the schools for comment. The biggest issue I have right now is the very very small brackets in region 3 (west Jeff) compared to everyone else in the state. With the growth of wrestling in West KY, realignment is inevitable. I think you could make two very good regions out of Jefferson County (without the surrounding counties), and keep travel down for those schools while maximizing their ability to generate some revenue by hosting. But only time will tell.

As for weight classes, there were no changes made by the NFHS, although several have been talked about and proposed. That kind of change generally takes a few years of debate and discussion."

- Jullian Tackett

Guest wrestler92

Well the heavy class is better than it used to be...7-8 years ago it used to go from 189 then heavy.  And for a period in the mid 80's the heavy limit was 300, then dropped down to 250.

I wrestled in the 80s and there was never a 300lb limit in KY.

Ohio use to have a 300lb limit and an unlimited at one time I think.

As for adding a wt. class for the big boys I have always believed this was needed.  However, I don't think we need to add another wt. class.  We should widen the gap in the lower wt. classes and add another big class.

I have always proposed these wt. classes.

185 or 189

200 or 210

230 or 235

Hwt

We maintain the 14 wt. classes, and lessen the urge for those light weight kids to drop 5 more pounds to get to the lower wt. class. 

As for adding a wt. class for the big boys I have always believed this was needed.  However, I don't think we need to add another wt. class.  We should widen the gap in the lower wt. classes and add another big class.

185 or 189

200 or 210

230 or 235

Hwt

We maintain the 14 wt. classes, and lessen the urge for those light weight kids to drop 5 more pounds to get to the lower wt. class. 

I think those are better than the ones we have now

I have sent several emails to Jullian on the weight change. I think if we did a poll it would show the majority of the coaches would want a 245lb. class. I can see working on realignment and taking time to do so. You could have some that would feel they didn't get the right region and think it was unfair to be in this region and etc. So take your time on this, weight change in the heavyweight class is a no brainier. Make up your mind and do it. Not a lot of discussion needed on this one.

I think 245 is to high for a middle Hwt class.  How many true Hwt over 245 will you find? 

If we looked at the state tournament this year and added the 245 we would have several open spots at Hwt.

Guest wrestler92

OK, I had my decades off (I don't know where they have gone since I graduated!!!)  Maybe it was early 70's.  I know they had it because they got rid of it because of George Skinner...he was about 290 Pounds and wrestled, after his senior year they changed the poundaged down. 

185 or 189

200 or 210

230 or 235

Hwt

I think 245 is to high for a middle Hwt class.  How many true Hwt over 245 will you find? 

If we looked at the state tournament this year and added the 245 we would have several open spots at Hwt.

yeah i am only about 238ish right now