Sign in to follow this  
hacker

Long Question... (Look Inside)

Has there ever been a wrestler, that has been ranked #1 in his weight class throughout his whole high school career. I mean like ranked #1 entering his freshman year, never moved down from that top spot all throughout freshman junior and senior year, and finished in the top spot at #1. This person would obviously be a 4 time state champ. But I dont know, Harrison Courtney wasnt ranked #1 entering his freshman year was he?

I think that entering as a freshman at #1 is unlikely.  Although I think hitchings came close last year.  I think you are going to find that this may have happened for three of the four years but not all four.  It could have happened though and I am sure if it did someone on here will know of it or research it and tell ya.  To answer the question I don't think so. :|

In the past there was little way of knowing what Freshmen would do well.Now that the middle school programs are growing as well as the m.s. state. The powers that be are able to see who is coming up and can rank accordingly.Although some schools have had a middle school program for years, many have not.

considering that the "Rankings" have only been going on since mid 90's I can say No to this question.

However if there were anyone who may have been would have been Joe Carr Jr. 

After him winning the state championship his 8th grade year.  He would have been ranked 1st only losing in the finals his freshman year.

Joe Carr, almost........

I would say he was ranked #1 after winning state as an 8th grader his freshman year.  But then got second his freshman year.  I'm guessing on the rankings, but he was close.  Probably would of won it at 112 that year.

There was another Carr that moved from Penn to Kentucky to wrestle for UK. (He didn't wrestle high school in KY though) I think he was a relative of the Carr family from Woodford.

grappler-of-old,

The rankings have been around at least since the late 80's.

I graduated in '91 and the rankings were being done then.

Not sure who was in charge at that point.

I've been associated with wrestling ln Nky since the early 80s when I wrestled then coached, and became a parent. I think the first individual rankings I viewed were around 94-95. Team rankings we first saw in 1990.

They must not have made it north until then.

Guest wrestler92

I graduated in '92 and know the rankings were there when I was a freshman, in '88.  They were being done by Coach Coomes at the time.  There were depending on the weight class only between 6-12 or so people who were ranked and of course their wasn't as much communication then across the state as their is now so it probably wasn't as accurate. 

grappler-of-old,

The rankings have been around at least since the late 80's.

I graduated in '91 and the rankings were being done then.

Not sure who was in charge at that point.

I've been associated with wrestling ln Nky since the early 80s when I wrestled then coached, and became a parent. I think the first individual rankings I viewed were around 94-95. Team rankings we first saw in 1990.

They must not have made it north until then.

Sorry, I must disagree...i seen the rankings in 88 also...individual and team.  Our coach might have had to request them from coach Coomes..(i believe he was doing them back then as well)

It would be very interesting to see if coach coomes has a history of the rankings.

Our coach might have had to request them from coach Coomes..(i believe he was doing them back then as well)

This may be true that you needed to request them.  If so I'm pretty sure the coach I was assosiated with would not have requested them. 

It would be very interesting to see if coach coomes has a history of the rankings.

This would be extremly interesting.

I remember the first time I saw the rankings.  It was at the 1990 WCI.  I believe it was Coach Coomes who distributed them to my coach, who then let me know I was ranked #1.  I bet Coomes a copy of each and every set of rankings he has put together.

My guess is that Joe Carr Jr would be the only person who could have been ranked #1 for 4 years straight.  Sullivan isn't even close.  If you recall the coaches had him #2 (behind Adam Carr) for a good portion of this past season (Jan 7 up to state).

All the Carr brothers wrestled in Penn.  Joe Jr. wrestled at Woodford.  The guy you are thinking about that wrestled at UK with Coach Carr Sr for a while was his brother.  I believe he was suppose to wrestle at Woodford his senior year but went to the Olympics to wrestle at the age of 17.  (Thats a bad man)

I forget what brother it was.  Not Nate and not the one that wrestled at Iowa State(?)  I believe the youngest one. 

This story could all be wrong, but it goes something like that.

I remember rankings in the early 90's also.  No enternet back then so things didn't get around so easy.

The whole Carr family sounds like a pretty bad bunch!

Any more details on them especially Jimmy?

Goin to the Olympics at 17, wow, did he wrestle in KY?

How did he do in the Olympics? College? any other olympics?

The whole Carr family sounds like a pretty bad bunch!

Any more details on them especially Jimmy?

Goin to the Olympics at 17, wow, did he wrestle in KY?

How did he do in the Olympics? College? any other olympics?

sounds like your curiosity was the same as mine.  i found an old interview with jimmy carr....pretty neat.  that is absolutely amazing to think of a 17 year old kid making the olympic team.  is this the youngest any person has ever made the olympic wrestling team?  it was also cool in the interview how he seemed focused on his family. 

http://www.thewrestlingmall.com/htmls/news.asp?Cat=3&View=7479

yes, i'm a wrestling GEEK.  i need therapy!!