Sign in to follow this  
iamthechamp07

best high school wrestling family in kentucky history

Cooper

I think it's basically the Coopers and Ervins. The Murtons were awsome but there was only 2 of them. That's not really a family I guess.

Don't forget the Cole's from Conner 4 or 5 state titles and several placments

Also the Stepp's from Sheldon Clark. They are what built the Sheldon Clark team in the 90's.

The Merritts from Hoptown. They go way back.

Herrings from Hop-town

Just to name a few.

The Hitchings family doesn't compete with what the Ervin's and others have done, but we sure are proud.  Mark Hitchings(1981) - 3X state placer, state champ, Tim Whitfill(2000)(Nephew) - 2X state champ, Ben Barger(2008)(Nephew) - 4th this year as Jr., Brad Hitchings(2010) - 2X Middle school state champ, 3rd as freshman, Brent Hitchings(2012) - 3X Middle school state champ.  3 total HS state championships won.  More to come?

I would not even know where to start to decide what includes "Family".  I was just looking at same last name family. 

Campbell had Hines.  Brian,(Runner up 2X Placer), Bo (State Champion 2X finalist) Ben (State Runner Up 3X placer).  Which include as cousings Aaron Mains (State qualifier), and Brandon Wilkins. (2X state champion, 5X state placer)

The Simon Kenton Coopers:

Brad: 4X Finalist, 3X state champ

Craig: 1X State Champ, 3rd as junior, 3X qualifier

Neil: 1X State Champ, 2X Finalist, 5th Place as sophomore, 4X Qualifier

Kyle: 1X State Champ, 2X qualifier

Austin: 1X State Champ, 3rd as junior, 8th as sophomore, 5X qualifier

Josh: 2X finalist, 7th as sophomore, 7th as freshman, 6X qualifier, qualified but didnt wrestle at state as senior

7 state champions (5 people)

17 state placings

11 Finalists

Still one more Cooper to go.   I dont think anyone can compete with this family's resume.

The Cole family is the only family with a perfect state champ record that I am aware of.  All three Coles were highschool state champs. Todd 1981 155lbs and a state runner up as a junior; Tom 1983 132 lbs(pinned through districts, regions and state); Troy 1983 and 1984 138lbs and 145 lbs including MVW. Troy was also a 4 time high school state finalist.

you know that the zeppa's father was also a wrestler.  making the army team and going to try to go to the olympic trials but decided not to and got married... there is a lot of history behind that family it just doesn't link to kentucky it leads to michigan. ohio. indiana. minnisota. and for tony (father) down the east coast.