Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com 2023-24 Season Rankings - February 12

Final set of rankings heading into state.  As expected there were a number of surprises over region weekend, upsets and weight changes and kids out, but there seemed to be a lot more movement that usual.  A few random thoughts to go along with this update before the state report comes out on Wednesday.

- 106 could be a very interesting weight with any of the top 5 winning it

- 113 losing Birk has really opened the weight up

- 120 great match between Evans and Blevins at region, will we get a rematch on Friday night or someone spoil that party

- 138 looks like a flashback to 2022 with a Whorton-Meyer rematch; hope we see a little more action this time around

- 150 still have Brown at #1 (going 2-1 against Wojcicki), but this might be the tightest group at the top of any weight

- 157 Harris is the clear favorite, but this group is fairly tight at the top as well

- 190 Kiser-Virzi has to be one of the best rivalries in Ky wrestling in a while

- 285 please no stall controversy this year

- Team dynamics changed a lot of the last week.  A little more separation between Union and PT, then PT and Ryle.  While the pack is not quite as tight, 3-7 could fairly easily change order with a couple wins here and there.

Rankings_23_24_0212.pdf

@ 126, #6 vs #7 in the first round to likely wrestle #10 2nd round, to then wrestle either #25 or #28 (most likely) in the quarters.  One would think that there's a better way to seed this thing. Hate to see top 8 wrestlers get knocked out due to draws that require them wrestling each other and #20 (by example) get on the podium by not wrestling anyone inside the top 10.  It's a lot easier to say "let them settle it on the mat" when it is somewhat seeded than when you have random draws like we do. #1 vs #3 at 120 in the quarters and #1 vs #2 at 175 in the semis is another head scratcher.  KHSAA out here teaching "life isn't fair" lessons to everyone haha 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

@ 126, #6 vs #7 in the first round to likely wrestle #10 2nd round, to then wrestle either #25 or #28 (most likely) in the quarters.  One would think that there's a better way to seed this thing. Hate to see top 8 wrestlers get knocked out due to draws that require them wrestling each other and #20 (by example) get on the podium by not wrestling anyone inside the top 10.  It's a lot easier to say "let them settle it on the mat" when it is somewhat seeded than when you have random draws like we do. #1 vs #3 at 120 in the quarters and #1 vs #2 at 175 in the semis is another head scratcher.  KHSAA out here teaching "life isn't fair" lessons to everyone haha 

Rankings are somewhat subjective, unless we have head to heads.  To say # so and so has so and so doesn’t hold much weight.  They have to go compete, my boys have been on both sides of the random draw so I get it.  It’s go time, as parents it only last for a short period of time enjoy it.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chris Duke said:

Rankings are somewhat subjective, unless we have head to heads.  To say # so and so has so and so doesn’t hold much weight.  They have to go compete, my boys have been on both sides of the random draw so I get it.  It’s go time, as parents it only last for a short period of time enjoy it.  

i understand the subjectivity of rankings, but to say there's not a gap between a top 5 kid and a #25 kid is misleading (not ascribing that to your statement). However, what's not subjective is a defending champ vs a runner up meeting in the quarters. It never fails, there are always going to be upsets at the state tournament, and I get that.  I also happen to believe the system is broken and requires a fix that is fairly simple. We can either bring back semi-state or use track to seed the tournament like we do with most every other tournament throughout the year.  Middle school seeds all the region champs with coaches input along with using track criteria.  At minimum, this is a straightforward process that can be done in 1.5 hours.  I'm just offering a solution to the wind at this point, I know haha

2 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

I get that stuff like this happens. With that being said if they seeded the KY state tournament you would literally have to watch 2 straight rounds of first and second period falls and techs. I would rather watch 2 good (or even really bad for that matter) guys battle back and forth over good guys pinning bad guys. At that point go to 16 man brackets. Pretty sure Ranger did the stats one year on guys outside of the top 16 placing and it's EXTREMELY low. This is clearly coming from a spectator and not a coach with a draw like this LOL. 

As have mentioned the before.  Did you see how track seeded the tournament during COVID.  NOT GOOD.  How do you compare wrestlers, when many wrestle out of state, or a different wt. class etc ect. Going by last years results makes very little sense to me. 

Seeding the regional champs I can agree with.  But will that really change much.  Most of the problems happen with the 2nd and 3rd place finishers. Plus moving a kid up one spot or down one spot really doesn't matter much.  (I was one of those who probably would have moved up one if on the other side back in the stone age). I also don't want to see regional teams wrestling in the championship bracket before the semi-finals. Which may happen if you seed everyone regardless the placement at region. 

On this one point KHSAA is NOT making a bad decision. 

25 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

As have mentioned the before.  Did you see how track seeded the tournament during COVID.  NOT GOOD.  How do you compare wrestlers, when many wrestle out of state, or a different wt. class etc ect. Going by last years results makes very little sense to me. 

Seeding the regional champs I can agree with.  But will that really change much.  Most of the problems happen with the 2nd and 3rd place finishers. Plus moving a kid up one spot or down one spot really doesn't matter much.  (I was one of those who probably would have moved up one if on the other side back in the stone age). I also don't want to see regional teams wrestling in the championship bracket before the semi-finals. Which may happen if you seed everyone regardless the placement at region. 

On this one point KHSAA is NOT making a bad decision. 

Seeding the ones would fix it. If the second best wrestler in the state is in the same region as the one they go opposite side of the bracket. Then they can prove they’re the second best and we get the best finals. I get boring 1st and 2nd rounds. We are going to have some pins and techs in the finals instead. Not many but a couple brackets have cake walls to the finals with the top 3-4 guys being in the other side. 

1 hour ago, Elite Training Center KY said:

I get that stuff like this happens. With that being said if they seeded the KY state tournament you would literally have to watch 2 straight rounds of first and second period falls and techs. I would rather watch 2 good (or even really bad for that matter) guys battle back and forth over good guys pinning bad guys. At that point go to 16 man brackets. Pretty sure Ranger did the stats one year on guys outside of the top 16 placing and it's EXTREMELY low. This is clearly coming from a spectator and not a coach with a draw like this LOL. 

To mitigate the issue, we could go back to semi state, remove the fluff, and have a 16 man bracket. When I wrestled in a different state, only 8 made the state bracket and placed top 4. I was surprised when I moved out here and found out Kentucky PLACES top 8. 16 man brackets can have competitive matches throughout. I’m not sure KHSAA seeds any sport, but it would definitely be beneficial in our sport. I’m not convinced anything will change, but the fixes/adjustments are not rocket science. This discussion suggests to me that we (people involved/familiar with the sport) can hash out ideas to create a better product for everyone.

I too was against the 32 man bracket.  KY had a 16 man bracket until 2002. The 32 man bracket has done wonders for KY wrestling.  At that point there were about 80 schools that had wrestling (Maybe less).  Since then we now have 133 schools with wrestling.  

We have traded off good wrestling throughout the state tournament for having more participants in the state.  Kids who normally would not qualify for the state tournament now go and bring back that experience to their school.  It helps keep kids out and getting more kids involved in wrestling.  I was not a supporter of the 32 man tournament but the proof is in the pudding. From the 80's when I wrestled to the 2000 we only increased the number of teams by about 15.  From 2000 to 2024 we have increased the number of teams by about 50.

Lets look at the number of teams competing in the state tournaments.  1964 (1st year of the state tournament) 5 teams competed. 1974:  47 teams 1984 50 teams. 1994 48 teams. 2004 66 teams.  2014 88 Teams.  2024 109 Teams. 

Now I know these are just the teams who competed in the state tournament but it should correlate with the number of teams in the state. 

6 hours ago, Elite Training Center KY said:

This is clearly coming from a spectator and not a coach with a draw like this LOL.

Ahhh yes. Very well known to have never accomplished anything in Kentucky wrestling, Nathan Boston.

/s

9 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

138 #3 vs #8 First round as well. 4 of the top 8 wrestlers being in region 1 makes for a tough draw for Hunter Luttrell.

2 hours ago, 385 said:

138 #3 vs #8 First round as well. 4 of the top 8 wrestlers being in region 1 makes for a tough draw for Hunter Luttrell.

I think Luttrell wants to win a title. If he's worrying about #8 guys he's already lost IMO. Not saying to look past them but he's a top 3 guy for a reason. 138 isn't the weight I see KY having 8 guys as title contenders. I think 150 is the deepest as far as people actually capable of winning a title and I would say cut off there is with Lehman at 6. 

2 minutes ago, pin4thewin said:

Ranger report today??

yep.  finishing touches as I close out some work stuff, run practice, go to college senior night, and get ready for the weekend.

2 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

yep.  finishing touches as I close out some work stuff, run practice, go to college senior night, and get ready for the weekend.

Sounds good!

On 2/13/2024 at 11:39 PM, Elite Training Center KY said:

I think Luttrell wants to win a title. If he's worrying about #8 guys he's already lost IMO. Not saying to look past them but he's a top 3 guy for a reason. 138 isn't the weight I see KY having 8 guys as title contenders. I think 150 is the deepest as far as people actually capable of winning a title and I would say cut off there is with Lehman at 6. 

Agreed on all counts. I dont believe he is worrying about #8 guy as he believes he will win it all, im just commenting from an outsiders perspective. Gonna have to beat em all anyways though! I think he can do it.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:36 PM, Ranger123 said:

- 120 great match between Evans and Blevins at region, will we get a rematch on Friday night or someone spoil that party

Didn’t expect to see these returning champs battle it out in the blood round, though. From state champ to not placing is tough.

9 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

Didn’t expect to see these returning champs battle it out in the blood round, though. From state champ to not placing is tough.

Crazy to see. I would not be shocked to see Blevins pull this out. For someone like Evans who a lot of people saw as a lock (myself included) it will be interesting to see how he shows up today. He may come in today and tech his way to third. Third is sometimes harder to get than first in my opinion.

On 2/18/2024 at 2:24 PM, TinkXXXX said:

Will there be any end of season rankings

Yes he said he will put one more ranking out. Often does it on Wednesdays I have noticed