Sign in to follow this  
Old Coach

Wrestling as Independent

My son will be going to a high school that does not have wrestling but wants to stay in the sport . Can he wrestle at a school even though he does not attend there ? What can I do to keep him in the sport ? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP 

I don't know the actual rules about this, but what I've heard is that a student attending one school that does not offer a sport may compete for another within the same county that does offer the given sport.  I checked the KHSAA site for more information, but didn't find anything pertaining to your situation in the handbook (doesn't mean it's not there, I didn't look for that long).  The site is www.khsaa.org if you want to research it more there, or call them at 859-299-5472.  Hope that helps some!

you might want to be very carefull about this kind of situation because a similar problem happend last year before meade had a wrestling program. but i think that khsaa doesnt have a problem with a wrestler wrestling its just they cant be used for "team points" such as at duals or tournaments. best of luck to your son though.

Guest wrestler92

You may also want to contact Apollo school.  They didn't officially offer it at their school either until this year or maybe last year but had one or two kids wrestling for them for several years.

My son will be going to a high school that does not have wrestling but wants to stay in the sport . Can he wrestle at a school even though he does not attend there ? What can I do to keep him in the sport ? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP 

I went to the KHSAA website and then chose the KHSAA Handbook link.  From there I chose Bylaw 4 which deals with enrollment and eligibility.  Case BL-4-11 seems to fit your scenario.  My interpretation (I am not an attorney) is that the wrestler needs to be enrolled full time and receiving credit through the member school.  It looks like this even pertains to kids that are home-schooled.  In other words, no independent wrestling in high school, althouhg there are some separate bylaws pertaining to "feeder schools" for kids below the 9th grade.

This is totally hear say but I did hear that if a wrestler works out with another school, that they do not go to school for, then it is considered a scrimmage and you are only allowed two a year.  Off season is different.  Just be carefull I am not sure but thats what I have been told.  The difference between your situation and the one I am talking about is that the sport is not offered at your sons school.  I am reffering to a situation where it is offered and the wrestler works out with another team.  Good luck

A thought to ponder.  If you cannot wrestle as an independent, why does the khsaa  have a slot for unattached wrestlers under the team listing?

They could wrestle with another team just not for team points like hardknox08 said but from my experience they aren't allowed to wrestle at regonals or state...kinda stinks...

Does KHSAA have a policy regarding Home Schooled kids wanting to participate in athletics?

Yes they do. You must attend a school.

The reason I ask is because I think neighboring states have amended rules to allow home schooled.

It would be interesting to know how the issue has been handled in other states?

There was a case in Huntington WV where a home-schooled student sued so he could wrestle on a middle school team. I think he won but, has since enrolled and wrestles at a public high school.

According to Bylaw 14-4 in the KHSAA compliance handbook, no student shall participate for a school unless enrolled for at least 4 instruction hours at that school (the school has to be a KHSAA member) or a feeder school under the same local board of education.  That basically means no home school students or students from another school who are not offered a sport at their current school can participate.

What if they are being home schooled by the local district. 

I know this usually only occurs for injury, illness or expultion with services. 

Also can a child in home school apply for admittance into KHSAA?

I don't know all the rules on "home schooling" but aren't they monitored, or at least responsable to follow certain educational guidelines that would fullfill KDE requirements and allow them to be admitted to KHSAA.

Under the same by-law a student who is completing the curiculum for a local schoo at home due to an "injury or medical reasons" are allowed to participate.  They have to be enrolled in at least 4 hours of instruction a day.  Kids who were expelled or are attending an "alternative" school are not eligible for participation.  As for admittance for the KHSAA, I guess students could apply and have their "school" become a member.  I don't what they would have to do in order to gain qualification for this however.  Definitely interesting.  They are required to complete a certain set of guidelines and test like all other students are required to do, but they are not part of the local board of education.  They are monitored by the state which tends to be more generalized than the local school board is believe it or not.  Funny how that happens.  An example of how the state is more generalized (and this does not pertain to students but is just something to prove it) is for coaches to be board certified, they must have at least 64 hours of college credit and have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.  I was coaching football in Bullitt County and one of our coaches was told by the school board that he did not meet the criteria.  He graduated from Centre and had a cumulative GPA of 2.4.  By the state's standards he was eligible, but the Bullitt Co. Board has a policy that all coaches must have 64 college hours and a cumulative GPA of 2.5.  The B.C. Board has a stricter policy.  The local boards of education must comply with KHSAA by-laws but can enforce more if they choose to.  Since all local boards are different, the KHSAA doesn't leave "home-schooled" situation up to the Local Boards and just says the kids are not eligibile.  At least this is my understanding.

I was coaching football in Bullet County and one of our coaches was told by the school board that he did not meet the criteria.  He graduated from Centre and had a cumulative GPA of 2.4.  By the state's standards he was eligible, but the Bullet Co. Board has a policy that all coaches must have 64 college hours and a cumulative GPA of 2.5.  The B.C. Board has a stricter policy. 

How funny. This person could be teaching but could not coach.  Very interesting.

I also believe the state allows anyone employed by the school to coach, no matter what GPA or collage hours the individual has. IE.  A teachers assistant, or cafeteria worker could be a coach.  I'm almost certain of this, but once again I could be wrong.  (But this does not keep us on topic).

I hope that the individual that is home schooled and wants to participate in a sport. No matter what sport it is, can find a way to participate.

How funny. This person could be teaching but could not coach.  Very interesting.

I also believe the state allows anyone employed by the school to coach, no matter what GPA or collage hours the individual has. IE.  A teachers assistant, or cafeteria worker could be a coach.  I'm almost certain of this, but once again I could be wrong.  (But this does not keep us on topic).

I hope that the individual that is home schooled and wants to participate in a sport. No matter what sport it is, can find a way to participate.

It depends if the team already had a head coach with the proper criteria. After the kid was killed playing soccer last year they have been coming down. School don't wanna be liable for death or injury so no certified coach, no team.

If the school board chooses to employ you as a teacher, aide, cook, janitor, etc. you are eligible to coach as long as you pass the certification test for the state of Kentucky and the NHSCA and meet all the other criteria set forth by the state and/or school district (I.E. 64 college hours, etc.).  They must pass this test before they can instruct kids in any way.  People who are not eligible can be volunteer assistants, but are not allowed to instruct kids  (I.E. manager, stat keeper, etc.)  In most instances, the school system prefers a head coach to be employed in the school system and not a paraprofessional.  Some of the "lesser" sports such as wrestling, tend to be exempt because school's have a hard enough time finding coaches in general.  Case in point, I'm the head coach at Doss and I work as a supervisor at UPS.  As for assistant coaches, most school's don't care if you are employed by the school system or a paraprofessional.  As long as you meet their criteria, which includes being certified and passing the background check, they will hire you. 

Wow :-o

Dragonmaster

Your not even employed by the school district and you have done this research?  I am extremely impressed, and think maybe you should be employed by a school district.  I don't think most teacher/coaches now all this info. 

I try to stay as informed and up-to-date as possible.  I don't always accomplish that however.  You just never know when a situation will arise and I do not want on of my guys suffering because I didn't know the rules or guidelines.  That wouldn't be fair to them considering the work and time they will put in.  Also, I figure in some instances if I know something the other guy doesn't then I have an advantage.  Any little edge I can get always helps!