Sign in to follow this  
dougiefresh

KWCA rankings

Does anyone know when/if KWCA rankings are coming out? I think it's going to be interesting to compare Rangers rankings to the KWCA ones.

I think Coach Coomes usually updates around the WCI.

With the season approaching the half way mark.

Why would any one waste their time viewing the kwca site.  It is not updated or maintained.

Kentuckywrestling.com is doing an outstanding job.  At. least ranger 123 rankings are updated.

So I say forget the kwca and support Kentuckywrestling.com

Everyone form a mob and riot against the KWCA rankings!!!!  :-D just kidding guys ha ha But Ranger does an outstanding job in maintaining and putting time into his rankings and we appreciate it.

Coomes does an outstanding job when he does update his rankings. But I've been using kywrestling.com rankings in everything I've written about wrestling so far. Kudos to ranger and everyone else who helps maintain this site.

I think LCs issue is not the weights so much (because I'm sure I have a few that are off) but there are some good kids missing and some really weak kids listed.

I think LCs issue is not the weights so much (because I'm sure I have a few that are off) but there are some good kids missing and some really weak kids listed.

Ranger,

I try to stay neutral but, I'm with you, I am very disappointed with the KWCA rankings. They do not reflect all the teams and individuals objectively. I may be a little guilty of paying more attention to your ranking and not updating coach coomes on individual stats as most coaches may be doing. his updates are incomplete due to lack of input.

Guest wrestler92

Ranger,

I try to stay neutral but, I'm with you, I am very disappointed with the KWCA rankings. They do not reflect all the teams and individuals objectively. I may be a little guilty of paying more attention to your ranking and not updating coach coomes on individual stats as most coaches may be doing. his updates are incomplete due to lack of input.

Those rankings have always been skewed.  It's funny to see the difference between them sometimes, but years ago when those were the only ones around it wasn't too hard to tell who was doing the rankings based on the number of Eastern wrestlers ranked high.  I always told my kids not to pay too much attention to them because you need to beat whoever is across from you on the other color line and not worry about where they all fall into numbers.  But I appreciate the effort that people put into all the rankings and the work involved to keep them up.

A few years back, Central Hardin heavyweight Joe Berrow was unranked most of the season by KWCA.

Coomes said he didn't know Berrow was back (although he was listed as a junior in the State tournament the previous year).

And I sent him results of all area teams week after week with Berrow's name included (those results were posted on his Web site).

No excuse.

Overall, I think the rankings look good.  Thank you to Coach Coomes for doing them.  I did see one omissions that kind of shocked me.  Terry Turner was not ranked at 189.  I saw other Central Hardin wrestlers ranked so I know their coach is turning in the results.  Anyone know what's up with that?

I don' think everybody realizes how busy a man coach coomes is. He is the assistant principal of a school, a wrestling coach, and president of the KWCA, and he has the difficult task of those ranking wrestlers around the state when he doesnt get feedback on tournaments from a lot of teams. Also, no other coaches have offered any help on these rankings

Credibility is key in life! If the individual(s) responsible for KWCA rankings are too busy to render a thoughtful, detailed ranking, then simply state so. To publish such an inaccurate ranking is harmful to their credibility, irregardless of the reason.  If they are simply publishing the data given to them, they should state, for example, the ranking is based on 4 out of 100 coaches who took the time to fill out the survey.  This would better qualify their credibility and more importantly inform all viewers the data is garbage.  Not to do so and publish the 12/20/06 ranking as a "coaches survey"  in my opinion is inexcusable. The next time KWCA tries to distribute any information, I will question if it was produced by a person too busy to take the time to verify accuracy. Thanks Ranger for your time and effort. 

A few years back, Central Hardin heavyweight Joe Berrow was unranked most of the season by KWCA.

Coomes said he didn't know Berrow was back (although he was listed as a junior in the State tournament the previous year).

And I sent him results of all area teams week after week with Berrow's name included (those results were posted on his Web site).

No excuse.

I agree with you Nate. Over the past few years he has become less objective with his rankings and does not take suggestions very well.

I don' think everybody realizes how busy a man coach coomes is. He is the assistant principal of a school, a wrestling coach, and president of the KWCA, and he has the difficult task of those ranking wrestlers around the state when he doesnt get feedback on tournaments from a lot of teams. Also, no other coaches have offered any help on these rankings

How hard would it be for Coach Coomes to create a "FREE" account here on www.kentuckywrestling.com and look at ALL the results we members post atleast twice a week.  As a matter of fact, he doesn't even need an account to view the results.  I mean he has computer with internet anyway.  Why not look here.

IMO Ranger123 rankings should be the official rankings for the state.

How hard would it be for Coach Coomes to create a "FREE" account here on www.kentuckywrestling.com and look at ALL the results we members post atleast twice a week.  As a matter of fact, he doesn't even need an account to view the results.  I mean he has computer with internet anyway.  Why not look here.

IMO Ranger123 rankings should be the official rankings for the state.

1.  Coach Coomes will not take results from anyone other than a head coach or an assistant coach that he knows.

2.  Many coaches do not turn in results, because they do not appreciate the rankings. (At least this is true in NKY)

3.  There are no OFFICIAL rankings. 

Rankings are for fun and not something to get upset over.  Take them for what they are and roll with it.

If the rankings are just for fun, then why does the KHSAA announce the wrestlers' KWCA ranking during the state championship tournament?  I don't think anyone is getting mad over the fact there are rankings, we simply want a little thought and research going into the data if they are going to be the "official" ranking endorsed by an  association.  I still believe the KWCA should publish a disclaimer stating how many coaches participated in the ranking. If a certain threshold of coaches' surveys is not achieved, such as 50%, then no ranking should be offered as the info is meaningless.

I'm a Union County fan and I think Coomes did a great job with the rankings :-D :-D :wink:.

Now seriously I know we are probably not the #1 team in the state but Coomes did the best with what he has to work with. I don't think we should be mad or upset with him but the coaches who are not taking the time to fill out the survey. If we should revolt against anyone it should be them.

Also, rankings are just that, rankings. I was one never to get upset about where I was, I was confident and knew where I should be. So take them with a grain of salt and just wrestle. If you are good enough, you will succeed.