Sign in to follow this  
charger

Young Coaches in KY

I think Kentucky wrestling is definitely on the uprise. More schools with wrestling helps, but more kids becoming interested because of their idols or people they look up to (ex. Kyle Snyder, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Dake, etc..) having success on the Senior level. 

I thought it was crazy that they would not allow us to sit out camp flyers or camp information at the state tournament. That is a great way to help grow the sport even more. I had about 100 flyers thrown away by a Khsaa member on the first day of state. (waste of paper)

Young coaches are also helping grow the sport!!

I would like to see the statistics on our young coaches in the state. 

In my (Parks) 3rd year as head coach at Woodford Co. my results look like this;

16 State Placers

3 State Champions

3 All Americans

I'm curious to see the stats on guys like Josh Johnson, Chris McCoy, Scotty Teater, Andy Critchfield, Jarvis Elam (not sure if he's the head guy or not), Josh Ashbrook and other young productive coaches in our State. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure why the KHSAA would miss out on an opportunity to either make money by charging for booth space for camps/clubs/organizations/vendors, etc. or further the sport by allowing these to be present. Maybe there is some sort of violation there, not entirely sure. Any convention I've ever been to, which a wrestling tournament is essentially just a convention dedicated to a sport, has information and advertising booths and a wing dedicated to the sort. Maybe they don't want to handle the logistics of this for all sports because if you allow it for one you have to for all.. Even though that's not true for videos I guess? Once again, entirely unsure on this situation.

Louisville seems to be in desperate need for young coaches to fill slots at certain schools. There's no way it's plain 'lack of interest' from this many schools that have 500+ boys attending daily. Some schools have tremendous programs, but then others where you think there should be a program building, there is literally nothing.

I posted something asking which teams will likely not happen next year because of lack of coaching or interest, etc. 400 views and no replies.

I know since starting Males program 6 yrs ago, McCoy has had 11 placers, 4 finalists, 2 champions, and 1 AA. Great job for a new program. 

Since taking over Critchfield has had several placers, atleast 6 champions, several runner ups and a top 10 finish at state. 

I agree we have some great young coaches in the state. It's a huge commitment to coach, but a bigger commitment to do the year around grind to try to be successful. With the push to go to all year around its harder for coaches, especially young ones. I think you see less going into jobs where you can give so much time. On top of that many are starting families and it is tough to give the time it takes to be successful.  

Big shoot out to Coach Thomas and Wilkins and Moore, Hayes at central, Ditwiler at Montgomery,  Graven at Scott, and Osborne at Dixie Heights. They are a few of the guys I see really giving a ton to wrestling and having success as still fairly young coaches. 

36 minutes ago, coachteater said:

I know since starting Males program 6 yrs ago, McCoy has had 11 placers, 4 finalists, 2 champions, and 1 AA. Great job for a new program. 

Since taking over Critchfield has had several placers, atleast 6 champions, several runner ups and a top 10 finish at state. 

I agree we have some great young coaches in the state. It's a huge commitment to coach, but a bigger commitment to do the year around grind to try to be successful. With the push to go to all year around its harder for coaches, especially young ones. I think you see less going into jobs where you can give so much time. On top of that many are starting families and it is tough to give the time it takes to be successful.  

Big shoot out to Coach Thomas and Wilkins and Moore, Hayes at central, Ditwiler at Montgomery,  Graven at Scott, and Osborne at Dixie Heights. They are a few of the guys I see really giving a ton to wrestling and having success as still fairly young coaches. 

As a younger guy that does officiating, I know a lot of my ex-teammates and competitors cannot devote the time to officiating or coaching or anything really. Most of them are inundated with daily life and trying to find their place in the world/career path. I've been lucky enough to find mine relatively young so it's easier to give back at this age. It's pretty miserable graduating high school for most these days, even a college degree is far from a guarantee of stable and worthwhile employment that also guarantees a good work life balance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Western Hills took a big step forward this season by qualifying for state duals and getting their overall numbers up.  I know Teater used to be there and laid some groundwork but the guy in charge now seems to be doing a great job too. 

Pat Sinclair at Dunbar is a young coach that is dedicated to his kids, success hasn;t come yet but the addition of Kevin Case should really improve that program.  Lexington used to always have at least one top 10 team and I think they'll get back to that soon. TC, Lafayette, Henry Clay and Dunbar all challenging each other should improve overall Lex wrestling. Oh yeah and SEND YOUR YOUNGINS TO CARR WRESTLING.

• Upvote 2

Jarvis Elam will be the head coach starting next year. Still good credentials as a co-head coach. Back to back state titles. 10 placers alone this season. 3 champs. Not sure the rest of his numbers tho. If I'm not mistaken, he and another young coach (Diante Cooper at Fort Campbell) helped start Taylor County's youth program a few years ago when wrestling for Campbellsville. 

Dee Leavell from Christian Co. time is coming. Great person !!! He hasn't hit it big in the win column yet but is hitting it in all other aspects. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NO-OX 1 said:

Dee Leavell from Christian Co. time is coming. Great person !!! He hasn't hit it big in the win column yet but is hitting it in all other aspects. 

Ah yes, can't believe I forgot about him. Dee is a great guy and a friend of mine for years. He's going to do great things at Christian Co. 

As a St. X dad I have nothing but respect for Coach McCoy at Male and Coach Thomas at Moore. 

The have done a great job and their teams should be tough years to come.  Don't know the Centeal coaches but sitting in their section during regionals (can't sit around my wife) their kids were very classy and respectful. Allot of yes sir and no sir responses when I spoke with them. Great kids. 

Thats what it's all about and a reflection of their leadership.  

6 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Jarvis Elam will be the head coach starting next year. Still good credentials as a co-head coach. Back to back state titles. 10 placers alone this season. 3 champs. Not sure the rest of his numbers tho. If I'm not mistaken, he and another young coach (Diante Cooper at Fort Campbell) helped start Taylor County's youth program a few years ago when wrestling for Campbellsville. 

Robert handing the keys over Sauls senior year ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jarvis is a great young coach sure they wont miss a beat lots of talented young pieces coming up to.. Sure Robert will still have his fingerprints on the program here and there.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2017 at 9:22 AM, charger said:

I think Kentucky wrestling is definitely on the uprise. More schools with wrestling helps, but more kids becoming interested because of their idols or people they look up to (ex. Kyle Snyder, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Dake, etc..) having success on the Senior level. 

I thought it was crazy that they would not allow us to sit out camp flyers or camp information at the state tournament. That is a great way to help grow the sport even more. I had about 100 flyers thrown away by a Khsaa member on the first day of state. (waste of paper)

Young coaches are also helping grow the sport!!

I would like to see the statistics on our young coaches in the state. 

In my (Parks) 3rd year as head coach at Woodford Co. my results look like this;

16 State Placers

3 State Champions

3 All Americans

I'm curious to see the stats on guys like Josh Johnson, Chris McCoy, Scotty Teater, Andy Critchfield, Jarvis Elam (not sure if he's the head guy or not), Josh Ashbrook and other young productive coaches in our State. 

Why didnt you just post a thread and say look at me.im.the shizzzznit

Each coach only has what he is given to work with The Carrs handed over a lot.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

"Why didnt you just post a thread and say look at me.im.the shizzzznit."

Uh did this person really just post THIS kinda statement???!?  He who spends 75% percent of his waking hours posting on various message boards (until he's banned) about how great he is at coaching, training and fathering despite not being an actual coach. Wow. Pot meet kettle.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

While I am a decent youth jr high coach and.would probably be better than a lot I.never claim.to.be a great coach.Never claimed to be a great father again im sure im above avearge .As a trainer uhhh I am.the shizznitt period .lol and.who are you to determine what makes a coach and who is or.has been.one I have coached numerous youth and.jr high teams.wrestling and.football unlike most I. this state I was nationally certtified .

When you meet more than.a handful  of ky coachs who has set in.the corner coaching youth kids against the caliber of.kids I.have or trained kids who.have beaten.the caliber of kids I have let me.know .I will be waiting a long time you dont know a single one.

I.just thought it was ballsy to come out say how good the young coaches were doing and.then list of the champs from a team that was Diesel when he got it .

Anyone can win.with already made champs and a huge youth team .Take someone from scratch and.make.him.a champ.ot take a so so.kid train.him and watch as he beats champs .

Give me.union and.in.three years I.can.come.on.here and say look wth I did lol .

And chill out I obviously wasnt the only one who thought it a bit ballsy but its all good most  woodford people are cocky as $h1l anyway and.everyone knows it.no.harm and I would be the first to give him props and.congrats still ballsy.

And as for people being banned your opinion means nothing because you do not nor will you ever have to deal with taking up for anyone like I do .

And given the same.talent If I coached a team.they would embarass most theres more to it than coaching and in your arrogance because I.never coached in.ky you assume I could.not hahaha I have been.in.rooms.and.helped coach jr high teams that would beat 90 percent of High School teams in.ky and the kids I trained set the bar but I would never claim to.be a great coach only claim.what I know as fact wherever the kids I trained went they beat everyone.else .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To bad people in ky are too busy listening to gossip and being to.arrogant to look outside the box or there would be a few kids a few levels up .and to bad a team like cc had an assistant coach who openly claimed to sabatoge his own team instead of letting someone help who would have added another state title to the room.

the tendency to listen to gossip and.judge someone.before Meeting them.hurt a lot of people another reason I say joe carr jr is the best coach in ky he never judged untill he met someone unlike some of you ignorant morons .

As far as young coaches go I would have to say Josh and Dan Muncy at Sheldon Clark, and Eric Burrell at LaRue. Pretty sure Josh is the only head coach of the 3, but all of those guys seem to be doing pretty good at their schools.. 

make no mistake if  I had Andreoni and.probably some.others there you would have multi x nat champs NO QUESTION ABOUT it  not just a bunch of state champs the carrs handed over  and "tough guy "whatever you could not and HAVE not done what I have done with MULTIPLE kids and multiple people in.this sport and.others .wasnt really hating at all I always praise a kid or two from woodford and they have been a top team.for a long time..And yes if coming back from.a broken.neck and a few other injuries that would end most peoples sports dreams only to achieve an all time.best is tough yes I am..But I dont hold you or many others to my standards and those that have been.around me for years know I do not expect anything from.someone that I would not have myself.And well you have 16 state champs ....0 nat champs thats 0 for 16 If you were smart you would have me.come.there and.show you a few things but...... your no Joe.Carr Jr .and you obviously put yourself and your ego before your team .not hating on.you your pretty much like the rest to dumb to search all avenues .

You have 16 state titles a few AAs maybe .I.have 6 in.my house 6 fargo  AAs and.a handfull of national titles and just in HS theres still kids wrestling I have helped who would walk in.your room and.embarass anyone.their weight or one above and all below .

I can.brag all I want the kids I have helped like it because they have faith in.me lol the single kid from.CC that I trained went from a no placer to a state runner up in one.year your not.even on.the same planet as me when.it comes to putting a kid on.the next level .Nothing against you you or no one.else have the time knowledge or experience I do and unlike most coaches dads or trainers I never had an issue learning from.someone.who knew more.than.I did.and.never kept my.kids from learning from those better than.me..

Like I said Im not the best coach but im not some youth assistant coach either been.more places and.seen.more than.you while.coaching kids and.I could make.a good kid a great one or the greatest one .

4 hours ago, charger said:

Achilles the tough guy... Not bragging at all. Guarantee you couldn't do what we do at Woodford. 

Haters  hate, hate....

189 and 0 for starters you have to get to the first step of the ladder before you get to the top YOU couldnt do what I have done with any kid I have helped if you spent 4 x the time with them...I have trained jr high kids who would easily beat anyone you coached .

• Downvote 1