Sign in to follow this  
Tarzan

Wth is up with schools and BB

Okay I guess its time to make everyone in my city mad at me ..

I love kids athletes and pretty much all sports , I would exclude golf because I'm terrible at it but my grandfather was very good at it and loved it .

No big deal realy except he only had one arm , strange seeing this country guy who loved to hunt with his dogs hitting golf balls out over the Ohio river every night from his yard , just didn't seem like the golf type ,

Anyway , I understand ky is a basketball state and its great to make it to the sweet 16 and win reg and do well or whatever .

My beef is you take a team like CC who for all intents and purposes has been a powerhouse the last few yrs reg champs x 3 state champs runners up x 2 dual champs last yr , and everything else one of te top teams for sure with kids heading to and wrestling in college !!!!

So when you see all the wrestlers you get to know ove the yrs get /)/$ dissed over some BB team that is good but nowhere near as successful as the wrestling team it kin if ticks u off ,

Pep rally's of school early can go in late and if tey win would have been allowed to take off , convoys heading to games and all the bells and whistles , kind of crappy considering CCs history in the sport , BB players do not train harder than wrestlers nor do they deserve any thing more or perhaps less than wrestlers any other sport . Businesses around town and all the other stuff , not really cool , when the wrestling team wins state and gets t shirts and the basketball team wins reg and gets hoodies lol nit cool nothing against the BB kids as I said I like all sports ,

But its straight up BS and the school is pretty crappy for showing different levels of love for its wrestlers and other sports athletes .

But I guess its just another Burden for wrestlers ,

Another reason they are tougher and better than any other athletes , BB FB none of the others compare and as much as I like to try and fit in and nit be bias I have to say ,

shame shame , next time my son wins state he can take a week off , and I will take he and his teammates somewhere to watch a college match , if he wins four and gets ignored by the press as he did for winning three not much to say except I would probably leave my HS off of wherever I end up wrestling , and it will be D1 regardless if we're and how it ends up , while I see CC kids wrestling in D1 and becoming nat qualifiers in NAIA as true fresh and others heading to D1 I have to ask

Just who the Heck do people think are good athletes , I google kids names my son will wrestle and see their schools totally behind them for accomplishing much less . Blast me say I'm a cry baby do whatever , all the wrestlers I care for at CC and the parents know its true , will there be a pep rally for all the CC kids heading to nationals wrestling comp far tougher than any BB fB Base Ball or any

Other sports athletes faced , I would like to say yes , I don't like looking in their faces and seeing them feel second best to anyone ,

Pi$$es me off greatly , confidence training and support wins sports .

Hahaha, couldn't agree more.  I especially liked the 3 charter buses for (12 players, 12 cheerleaders, and a pep band), and skip 1st period to eat a McD breakfast, and leave at 1pm for an 8pm game, and the staged fire drill at the high school and middle school to give them a send off.  Very nice double standards, but just remember which sport has the greatest number of banners/trophies and the most impressive banners/trophies.

Oh don't get me started. Nothing the last week has been anywhere close to cool. Double standard doesn't even begin to describe the load of crap that was shoved in the face of our program. I better stop now.

Yeah, I heard you had a run in with an assistant coach who thinks he owns the gym/school.  My boy called him the Coach Goss of basketball!!!  Jealousy is an amazing thing.  Let them shove...just smile, laugh in their face, and point to the banners!

I am very pleased to have some who have been around CC much longer than me feel the same . Makes it all good for me at CC never needed bells and whistles only need a few who actually know what it's all about behind you . Very anxious as I have pushed trained moved and spent a lot of time and energy on my boys and on the sport and with every new tournament there is a chance that something great can be stopped I hope everyone understands I only want greatness for my sons , just like everyone and anyone and anything that gets in the way of that I would gladly P!$$ on At any level from youth through college !!. I think CC should wake up and I think coaches like yourselves should stand up to whoever thinks wrestling is second best , I do not like ignoring wrongs and not making waves to fit in , I will do my best to give the school and it's team champions that are simply above those in other sports , just as you coaches have tried and done . A team that can win state my son and his partners on podiums I enjoyed having Sinclair Grazziani and austin training in my gym I like to think the extra weight training and drilling helped nick make finals and Grazziani win three at state and I like to think and know he will be on the podium next yr as will anyone else who wants to train extra with us . And that means with us not an inferior practice and weight training that goes on in the football program , I will not have a FB coach proclaim the superiority of his training over what my son does not would I have claimed superiority over there training , it's not what trainers or real coaches do they learn from everyone they watch and look at results , and I watched there's did not match mine Or my expectations , if they want to exclude my son from games or starting because he trains for team ky or any tournament then I hope he chooses to exclude himself from their field e en though he loves the sport ,as for me and

My rep it is well deserved as I have told those who brought it up results are what matters not message board banter .

I

As for coach Goss , he showed up to the rumble to support the wrestlers don't k ow about anything else but that in itself was honorable to me .

Yeah well welcome to basketball friendly Campbell Co. High School.

When we were state runner ups in 83 not only were we not recognized but they would not allow a banner to be put up in the gym.  Even though there was one there for the Girs basketball team that won region and lost thier first game in the state tourney.  My parents and other wrestling parents fought the boosters to get us jackets for winning region and being runner up. Heck most students and teachers  didn't even know we had a wrestling team.

Then in 90 when we won state there was very little recognision again.  It took the second title in 91 and many complianing from the coaches and parents before we  got a banner up.  Not to mention the individual state titles that were being won by the wrestling team. 

I wouldn't worry about recognition , for long when it becomes obvious who is top dog as far as sports go and there are those who constantly rise above the accomplishments of those in ither sports , people will wake up , I know the general public does not even understand the sport but I see kids like Garth Shaun my boys Wells and all the younger studs Krebs Holden Moore , how long can it be ignored , some wrestling swagger may be in order despite those pointing fingers and saying people are arrogant , perhaps wrestling parents should take it upon themselves for extras ,

Not going to down any sport or athlete but CC wrestlers are a cut above the other sports , not just my boys / Boy either , and make no mistake if I have anything to do with it CC will have a # 1 ranked wrestler in the country should he fall this summer I will make sure he is at Fargo and Iron man to take his shots at 1 don't get me wrong I do not think anyone can beat him at his best but even I am amazed and shocked he has not lost he defies odds an opposition , as I said he is on the verge of greatness , :) everything has lead to every next match , I love it , I do not think many understand it or those who shoot to be the best or what it takes , and sorry to say I would like to see more put into it becoming reality by everyone involved even Austin . The only time anyone will notice what was lost is if he loses .

Not all about him of course I want him and his teammates to all win I hope they realsise teams like trinity are on the rise even as I think union and x are on the wane , I would like to see more from all the kids , I am impressed by the younger guys ATM and Grazziani I would like to see more from others who could make the difference , I would have went ape $ :it on some kids at duals for various reasons. Just me maybe but make weight on the big ones.

Believe me you are not alone. At least CC has a dedicated wrestling space. Several schools hold practice in the cafeteria and often can't even host a simple dual or tri meet because basketball can't take a night off. Or wrestling practice gets bumped because the cafeteria is needed for a choral event, or Girl Scout troop meeting.

Seriously? This is really a complaint? Don't like it do something about it, can't do anything about it then have your child play basketball. This isn't just a county thing this is a national thing as well. Basketball = Money, wrestling does not.

Complaining about this is like how I complain to my students about capitalism and how its the main reason we have such disparity of wealth in our country, as well as corrupt government officials, and why were constantly engaged in foreign affairs. Point being it is what is it and until someone does something to change it. By the way I had no clue CC even made the state basketball tournament until I drove by the Elks Club on 27 and they had it advertised there. They lost in the first round and every kid was back in school on Thursday so as Arnold would say in Kindergarten Cop, "quit whining!!"

BTW some school districts, Covington Independent, Princeton City Schools close for the state tournament.

• Upvote 2

I'm not really whining about the bb team getting treated like kings. Even though I have to laugh and say act like you've been there before and plan to be there again rather than celebrate like you know it's a once in a generation event. BUT what I also constantly say is just don't do anything to hold us back. I understand the money disparity, but some things aren't about money. When people do things to hurt us that's when I have issues. Just leave us alone and watch us win.

Seriously? This is really a complaint? Don't like it do something about it, can't do anything about it then have your child play basketball. This isn't just a county thing this is a national thing as well. Basketball = Money, wrestling does not.

Complaining about this is like how I complain to my students about capitalism and how its the main reason we have such disparity of wealth in our country, as well as corrupt government officials, and why were constantly engaged in foreign affairs. Point being it is what is it and until someone does something to change it. By the way I had no clue CC even made the state basketball tournament until I drove by the Elks Club on 27 and they had it advertised there. They lost in the first round and every kid was back in school on Thursday so as Arnold would say in Kindergarten Cop, "quit whining!!"

BTW some school districts, Covington Independent, Princeton City Schools close for the state tournament.

Not so much a complaint, as a frustration.  I think everybody understands that basketball is a big revenue driver, and a far more popular sport (especially here in Kentucky) than wrestling.  I'm sure the NCAA basketball tournament is getting much better ratings than the NCAA Wrestling tournament that is currently going on at the same time.  I don't think people are expecting to get the same recognition as the big revenue sport, but most of us would like to get some recognition for the kids who work so hard in such a tough sport, and give us them the same opportunity to be successful.

You're talking about a school which had administrators that fired every coach in the school because they wanted to replace a baseball coach.....

Administrators that act like a football team with a winning record, just won the Super Bowl......

Coach B is held in higher regard outside the school than inside.

Wrestling will never be top dog at CC but I do believe it is respected by those who know even just a little about the history.

Bottom line is that wrestling is not a sport for the glory seekers and it never will be, especially at CC.

• Upvote 1

I can actually agree with Tarzan on this one. The only thing you can do is keep winning and doing the right things. Call the news papers, get the proper coverage and try to get good exposure for the kids. That goes for any team in nearly every city. I think it is gaining in popularity, but no where near BB.

Strange, I doubt anyone in CC is better known than coach B and I never hear anything bad about him other than he took heat for allowing two kids who became solid parts of his team to wrestle after moving in mid season even though he followed khsaa rules to the t not even letting them practice till the week before reg when they were cleared .

Football does get a lot of love and they do have a good team and it draws $ and attention , Coach B shows much more concern and knowledge for other sports than the coaches of other sports show for his wrestling team , I have to think some of it is jealousy for the success of his wrestling team I'm not sure either way I do know some of the coaches are lost as to what wrestling is all about , they think it is a totally individual sport and that their "team "sport puts them ahead of wrestling somehow and after thinking on it it makes sense that by them claiming wrestling is individual then their sports being team puts more meaning to their coaching ??? Lol considering most sports have an army of coaches I think wrestling coaches have just as tough a job although I would like to see more coaches doing even more I like breaking down comp watching film and such to find weaknesses and think teams should have coaches who focus on that .

Didn't know about the charter busses or fire drills for the send off , that's great for the BB team and I thought CC had a nice following at state although if they would have had a pep rally and the school / city made a bigger to do about wrestling I'm sure more would have came . I have a 5 yr old who wrestled a little this yr just to get his feet wet his brothers played football wrestled took gymnastics and taekwondo when they were just a little older than him , they dropped everything but football and wrestling I'm sure in a little kids eyes participating in a more popular sport will give that sport an edge as far as kids entering it hate to think he may not wrestle because where he lives it is thought of as a lesser sport !!another thing to think about , youth coaches ,parents , all coaches and wrestlers should keep that in mind and always hype up wrestling I was at NAIA nat and I watched D1 nat , I found them both very exciting and full of great athletes a sport worthy of great hype and celebration . As I said I hate seeing our wrestlers feel second best to any sport from day 1 in youth it's harder to excel at wrestling than any other popular school sport any wrestlers parent can verify it .

Agreed. It's all about the money though. This is where our sport must find creative ways to bring in the casual fan. Dual meets, super tri/quads are a good start. These events are easier for the casual fan to follow. An emphasis on the team tournament would help as well. What other ideas are out there to promote the sport? No other sport builds character like wrestling. 

Agreed. It's all about the money though. This is where our sport must find creative ways to bring in the casual fan. Dual meets, super tri/quads are a good start. These events are easier for the casual fan to follow. An emphasis on the team tournament would help as well. What other ideas are out there to promote the sport? No other sport builds character like wrestling. 

I come from a state where wrestling is fairly popular, and often draw good crowds, often as much as basketball games.  And the focus is on Dual/Tri meets and less on tourneys.  Schools will have 12-15 dual/tri/quad meets during the week (usually once or twice a week) and only wrestle in a handful of tournaments during the season, usually one or two in the beginning, one in the middle and then the conference-state tournament at the season's end.  Dual meets can be very exciting and much easier to watch and follow than an all day tourney.  

CC had 1 home meet against Grant , not blasting grant but it was pretty much a joke with hardly any of CC starters wrestling .

1 chance for people at home to see its great wrestling team and most of its studs had to set the bench because their opponent was to weak .

I like CC wrestling but for a team of this level to have I home meet and it only be a dual against an inferior team , and to have no home tourney , seems a big mistake to me ! There is really no excuse for it . Perhaps if the fans had a bigger opportunity to see and get whims its wrestlers they would make a bigger deal of their accomplishments

Holding a home tourney is not as easy as it seems.  Running the tourney is the easy thing.  I know that CC could get enough help to cover tables, have enough mats and other help to run the tourney.

The real problems comes from the school itself.  Trying to secure the same weekend every year is almost impossible at a school that holds BB in such high regard.  If you are able to secure that date then you have to convince teams to come to the tourney.  Teams already have commitments elsewhere and CC is out in the middle of nowhere, not close to any teams.  The competition level would be very low the 1st 3-5 years held.  Then maybe you can coax bigger and better teams to the tourney. 

And if  you know coach B he was/is never a hypster.  To him running a tourney is more of a headache than its worth.  I'm fairly certain that he does not even call in the results of his duals/tourneys to the newspaper.  Great coach-Less than adequate promoter. One of CC best promoters was (your words Tarzan) the little man behind the mic at the regional tourney.  He sent the media all the information they could handle while he was there.

I have heard about all the headaches of a tournament before , again I have to say that being one of the top teams in the state and only having one crappy dual at home that was basically a jv dual , was pretty much a joke , if they can have BB games all the time I'm sure they could spare the gym on one given date a yr for a tourny for the most successful sports program in the school .as for the little guy behind the desk if that was in fact my words , I doubt I would want him reporting to the press anyway , I would report everyone's results not just those of kids I like , I have seen first hand how the media is played and it ticks me off , cowards blaming a teams loss on one kid who scored more for the team in two yrs than anyone else easily ,they make me sick, good ole boy media , don't need it . Kind of like what was said about coach B being respected more outside the school , some kids are as well !!!

Sign in to follow this