Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

State tournament time table

I'm sure the wrestlers would want the stands full.  Instead maybe do something else like everyone wearing the same t-shirt with a slogan.  I'm not very good at this but something along the lines of "One Final One Mat"

I would buy and wear something like that, and it should be a really obnoxiously bright color so they can be seen throughout the whole arena

One Champion One Mat (?)

Neon green?

Just have the 1st place match participants not step on the mat like someone said until the other 3 matches completed. If both wrestlers agree to it, even if they get penalized, it happens to both wrestlers equally.

Yeah and if they DQ the first two to try the rest can make up their minds after

Response from Julian Tackett.  I have to say if there are 'safety' elements involved I'm failing to see them.  I also don't see how this is in keeping with his comment that the kids are the number one concern.  At least he responded and perhaps there will be an opportunity for this discussion during the 'review'.

Thank you for the feedback. The issues were discussed with the Advisory Committee and various other states. Nothing done in the event management that the staff does here is done on a whim, it is carefully reviewed and considered, with the kids and safety elements being the number one concern. I am going to support the changes developed by the staff, which factor in many more issues than a finals schedule.

As always, these events are reviewed in depth following each competition, and I am sure there will be such a review after this one as well.

Thanks again and travel safely.

Nothing done in the event management that the staff does here is done on a whim, it is carefully reviewed and considered.  That's the same answer they recommended, to do away with the post event hand shake..... Look at the National Media tail spin that took....,

What states do it like this? I've only been to our own and seen video of other states, so which states did their advisory committee speak to?

The advisory committe must have been their wives. Who like must coaches wives want the events shorter so they can come home earlier.

Oh not fair grappler of old....there are some wives who love this sport just as much as the coaches :)  My child has been wrestling since he was 5 and is now a freshman, his motivation has been to be under those lights in a finals match.  I understand that the lateness of the event might pose a problem to some people....we always book a room for the entire weekend..knowing we will get out of finals matches late.  Just seems like our wrestlers are getting the short end of the stick every time we turn around.  Taking the individual finals matches away will take so much away from the event.  Just isn't fair to the kids!!!

I sent a message and included this forum topic to a friend of mine who is the production director and producer for WAVE 3. Asking for some much needed media coverage on this atrocious change. Will keep you updated on his reply.

What a great idea! This is better than any stinking boycott.. I'm willing to to do whatever I can to help. $, Time, or equipment. I have trucks, trailers and a tractor with a front end loader. I will contribute up to $1000.00 But, I get in free to watch the show. My # is Home(606) 798-5104 Work # (937)549-2641 (ext.) 5061 Name's bernie

It's a great idea however the biggest concern would be the liability insurance policy covered by the KHSAA we ran into this with another sport slowpitch softball years ago and we were able to run our own state tournament with the backing of the KHSAA but we have to get the KHSAA support and backing to be able to do something like that. the Coaches Association could run a heck of a lot better state tournament than the KHSAA ever could but it has been done before. Go at them from that angle as it's obviously a pain for them.

The safety concern is late night travel. They are scared someone will wreck, then blame it on them for going late.

Seeing as any one drive can get in a wreck at any time -- no matter if it's daylight or nighttime -- this just seems silly to me.

Has anyone contacted the Media?  Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green or Cincinnati?  They took off like wildfire with the handshake ruling.  

A parent from Central Hardin brought this to my attention today.

I had no clue this was going on until she forwarded me an email from someone she knows at Lafayette.

Something I'd like to see happen, but I doubt the KHSAA would even entertain the idea: a return to the district, region, state format. It will whittle the number of wrestlers down who make it to State, thus less time will be spent at the state tourney.

Finals would get done sooner and folks would be able to head back home before it gets too late.

Yea, and the reason they would not consider is is $. There would be fewer wrestlers at state, therefore fewer families attending, less revenue.

They want their money and do not care squat about what's best for the kids, spectators, or the sport.

We must be doing something right. This has now been published in the Frankfort State Journal newspaper in a letter to the editor.

I've tried to figure out how to do it with no luck. So here goes the long way of doing it.

February 9th 2014 The State Journal letter to the Editor

Is it about the kids? A travesty in high school sports is about to be arranged. In the era of ESPN covering high school football and basketball signing day, it seems easy to overlook minor sports.

Although not nearly as celebrated or coveted, the high school wrestlers in our state just as hard as football and basketball players. They spend four, five, even six years trying to achieve a dream with much less pomp and circumstance than "signing day"... simply a shot at winning a state title. That being said, it seems a shame these athletes won't even be highlighted at this year's KHSAA state wrestling tournament.

Julian Tackett, commissioner of the KHSAA, has proposed changing the medal round format to include the championship match. That means all four matches (seventh, fifth, third, and first place) would happen simultaneously. In past years, the finals were wrestled as their own round. Each finalist was announced upon entering the arena, the mat was lot with a single spotlight, and the house lights were brought down to draw fans' attention to the last match of each weight class's season. Indeed, it was a setting befitting the gravity of the competition.

It's terrible that the culmination of a grueling competition and thousands of hours of hard work will not be highlighted for fans, coaches, and competitors to enjoy.

I would ask the KHSAA to step away from their role for a minute to view the event as those of us outside the administration do. From our perspective it seems obvious our state's most accomplished wrestlers should be highlighted in a match of their own. How could anyone argue that saving two hours is really worth doing away with such a cherished tradition?

Isn't it about the kids after all?

Written by Gary Lee of Lexington

• Upvote 1

Quarter sised medals , no respect for finalists some of whom have trained their whole lives in a sport that demands more from an athlete than any other school sport or activity , pretty bad I hear they want the celebration done away with , terrible people who make these decisions simply need replaced as they have no real concept about the sport it's fans or what they look for work for or expect.

Quarter sised medals , no respect for finalists some of whom have trained their whole lives in a sport that demands more from an athlete than any other school sport or activity , pretty bad I hear they want the celebration done away with , terrible people who make these decisions simply need replaced as they have no real concept about the sport it's fans or what they look for work for or expect.

The awards at the high school state tournament are an embarrassment. 

Sign in to follow this