Sign in to follow this  
pmiller13

Weather

I know, I'm so tired of this weather. I wished it would just skip this week so we all can get practice in so the kids can be ready for MS state. I hope everyone stays safe and gets some practice time on the mats.

does anyone know if there is a contingency plan if weather is an issue or if montgomery county schools are closed at the end of the weekend

Can always come down the night before and stay in a hotel like the region 4 kids did. :)

Last year there was a big snow on the day before and the day of the middle school state tournament and Montgomery Co went on with it as planned. We went down the night before and stayed the night. Worked out good for us I'd say we will do it again this year this in case there is snow again. Always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to mother nature.

Last year there was a big snow on the day before and the day of the middle school state tournament and Montgomery Co went on with it as planned. We went down the night before and stayed the night. Worked out good for us I'd say we will do it again this year this in case there is snow again. Always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to mother nature.

Exactly.

Should be no allowance at all!  There is plenty of ice and snow out there for these kids to go shovel and get a work out!!! 

I feel as if you know state is coming be prepared!!

I agree, there shouldnt be an allowance period (not in Jan or if there is bad weather). One of the key ingredients to be a great wrestler is discipline.  

I agree, there shouldnt be an allowance period (not in Jan or if there is bad weather). One of the key ingredients to be a great wrestler is discipline.

We have only adopted the rules used at the high school level. And who should be more disciplined? A 12 year old or 17 year old?

We have only adopted the rules used at the high school level. And who should be more disciplined? A 12 year old or 17 year old?

I wasn't aware that at the high school level they give a 2lb allowance and then consider another for bad weather. 

I wasn't aware that at the high school level they give a 2lb allowance and then consider another for bad weather.

I wasn't either but just looked it up. It's NFHS Rule 4-5-5.

ART. 5 . . . When there are consecutive days of team competition, there shall be a 1-pound additional allowance granted each day for all wrestlers up to a maximum of two pounds. In order to be granted this 1-pound additional allowance, a minimum of 48 hours advance notice is required for the opponent(s). The acceptable person(s) to receive that notice shall be the head coach, principal or athletic director. Competitions that are postponed for one calendar day or more, for reasons beyond the control of the participating school(s), or practices that cannot be held in these situations due to school policy shall be treated the same as competitions when there are consecutive days of competition in terms of the 1-pound allowance, with the exception of the required 48-hour notice.

Rule 4-4-4 covers the 2 lb allowance normally given after Christmas.

Rule 4-4-3 is interesting. ART. 3 . . . At anytime the use of sweat boxes; hot showers; whirlpools; rubber, vinyl and plastic-type suits; or similar artificial heating devices; diuretics; or other methods for quick weight reduction purposes is prohibited and shall disqualify an individual from competition.

So if I'm at the Y and see a kid in plastics entering the sauna and I tell the head official he could be DQd at weighins. (Hypothetically of course.)

I wasn't either but just looked it up. It's NFHS Rule 4-5-5.

ART. 5 . . . When there are consecutive days of team competition, there shall be a 1-pound additional allowance granted each day for all wrestlers up to a maximum of two pounds. In order to be granted this 1-pound additional allowance, a minimum of 48 hours advance notice is required for the opponent(s). The acceptable person(s) to receive that notice shall be the head coach, principal or athletic director. Competitions that are postponed for one calendar day or more, for reasons beyond the control of the participating school(s), or practices that cannot be held in these situations due to school policy shall be treated the same as competitions when there are consecutive days of competition in terms of the 1-pound allowance, with the exception of the required 48-hour notice.

Rule 4-4-4 covers the 2 lb allowance normally given after Christmas.

Rule 4-4-3 is interesting. ART. 3 . . . At anytime the use of sweat boxes; hot showers; whirlpools; rubber, vinyl and plastic-type suits; or similar artificial heating devices; diuretics; or other methods for quick weight reduction purposes is prohibited and shall disqualify an individual from competition.

So if I'm at the Y and see a kid in plastics entering the sauna and I tell the head official he could be DQd at weighins. (Hypothetically of course.)

Interesting, thanks for bringing this to light.

Thanks treynolds. One of my pet peaves these days. People start on a rant without doing any research or leg work on their own. Contrary to popular belief we aren't just making this stuff up as we go. Coaches need to get themselves better informed and parents should talk to their coaches if they have questions.

Thanks treynolds. One of my pet peaves these days. People start on a rant without doing any research or leg work on their own. Contrary to popular belief we aren't just making this stuff up as we go. Coaches need to get themselves better informed and parents should talk to their coaches if they have questions.

Ranger what is the reasoning for the 2lb allowance? I assume because the boys are growing, bodys changing.

Growth allowance. The powers that be that make the rules for scholastic wrestling determined that 2 lbs is needed for growth. States differ when the 2 lbs takes effect. Some it is Christmas while others is Jan 1st. Makes for some confusion when teams go to other states.

I'm not sure how the KHSAA or KSWA decides when we switch to the 2 lb allowance. I assume KSWA follows what KHSAA does but Ranger needs to answer that.

ART. 4 . . . A 2-pound growth allowance may be added to each weight class any time after the date of certification.

"Any time". It doesn't specify when or who makes the decision.

The date is sort of arbitrary but as a general rule dec 25 or jan 1 are what most use.

As for the growth allowance we have debated that for years in ms. Are coaches/kids using it for growth or to drop a weight class. I've seen both. The way I see it is kids will cut weight with or without the growth allowance. If the allowance allows a growing kid to remain at his weight and not have to cut late in the season then I'm good with a growth allowance.

The date is sort of arbitrary but as a general rule dec 25 or jan 1 are what most use.

As for the growth allowance we have debated that for years in ms. Are coaches/kids using it for growth or to drop a weight class. I've seen both. The way I see it is kids will cut weight with or without the growth allowance. If the allowance allows a growing kid to remain at his weight and not have to cut late in the season then I'm good with a growth allowance.

Yep, it will just be a different kid cutting the weight.  The growth allowance is needed in middle school.  I've had kids that work hard, and have still grown out of their weight class even with the allowance.

• Upvote 1

It seems odd to use the KHSAA growth allowances but not use their certification program.  I know Ranger tried to get the state to agree to this a couple years ago, but didn't get enough votes.  No to certification but yes to "growth" allowances seems somewhat contradictory to me.  Can someone shed light on the thought process here?  I wasn't at the meetings, so I have no idea what the coaches had to say.

If a kid needs a few #'s to naturally grow, maybe coaches should recommend a higher weight class at the beginning of the season and/or accept jumping into a higher class.  From what I've seen, the weight allowances are being used to drop a class more than what they're designed to do, which is to allow cushion for growth.  W/out a certification program, I don't think we should have any allowances.  Scratch weight all year. 

• Upvote 1