firemans34

Raider Rumble observations

Just some observations from the tourney yesterday:

1. St. X is for real....congrats to them.

2. Justin Lampe will be a state champ this year.

3. Stephan Myers is a lot of fun to watch and obviously will repeat.

4. The Boston/Lawson additions to Woodford...great wrestlers.

5. Nationally ranked Boston was pushed in very close matches with Keegan Duncan from Trinity and Gus Adams from Ryle.

6. Fauz (spelling, sorry) from Campbell is a stud.

7. Bummed that we didn't get to see the heavy hitters that went to Ironman.

8. Kids who lost in first round and won 4 matches after that were only awarded 7th place....very odd pool bracketing.

9. Would love to hear some more from everyone else.

I wish I could have been there. It's refreshing to see such parity in so many weight classes this season. Nothing promotes excellence quite like strong competition. I'm looking forward to watching this sport continue to grow in Kentucky.

Trackwrestling is great with all the options and formats available to you. This year it was a matter of trying to allow more teams that have quality kids get into the tournament and this format allows that. In years past you wrestled in 4 pools to start and if you lost within that preliminary pool in all likelihood the highest you could place would be 5th. So it is not that much different from that standpoint. Last year 1 loss in the first set of pools and winning out from there would have gotten you 5th place.

Years past 4 pools of 4 feed with winners placed in champ (1-4) semi bracket. Finishing second in the pool placed you in the conso (5-8) bracket

This year 6 pools of 3 with winners place in one of two champ pools (1-6) that represent semi bracketing. Second in the pool goes into conso (7-8) pools

Once you look at it and think about it, its not that far off from where we have been in years past. The quality of wrestling was great and we hope that the Rumble continues to improve every year

1. Stephan Myers is the best kid in the state. No questions. If he could make it to 145 by Senior National time, I would put money on him finishing top 4. He blew me away this weekend, and I have been watching this kid wrestle and talking to buddy’s (other Cincy and Dayton coaches) for years about him. He wins state from 145 to 220. Oh and on top of that he is a CLASS act. I was blown away by his demeanor today. Super level headed and real respectable. I left more blown away by him than anything else.

2. Kentucky wrestling has come a long way in the past 15 years. The quality of wrestling, and the technicality was so impressive this weekend. My old college coach told me if I wanted to survive in college I needed to do two things; keep my head up and elbows in. In the past Kentucky wrestling has struggled with this idea, but after watching yesterday I was blown away by how technical a lot of the young men competing were.

3. Nathan Boston will not destroy Blackwell. At this point I don't see Boston beating Blackwell. Adams gave him all he could handle in the finals. I know how good Boston is (I watched him win Super32 two years ago) but at this point 120 is not his weight. At this point in the season Boston loses to Blackwell.

4. Quality of officiating. I was impressed overall with the officiating this weekend. Yes there is always so bum calls that can go either way, but as a group calls were consistent and fair. Nice job Ryle getting the officials.

5. A lot of kids are out of weight classes. Looking over the weigh in sheets, the descent plan had several kids out of weight. One that sticks out the most is 182. Baurer from ST. X weigh in at 174, and Warwick from Conner weigh in at 167. Both finished top six and both will be at 170 when they are allowed to go. Also 113 had a couple of kids who will eventually make 108, Hurst from Woodford stands out the most from that group.

6. Austin Myers wrestles with controlled explosions. BOOM! Out of no-where he explodes for a takedown that you never saw coming. Really wasn't pushed today expect from Thompson of Conner. I think that is most physical I saw someone get with Austin, and Austin handled it well and pinned in the second period.

Overall an A+ day from the folk at Ryle. Thanks for the great wrestling and the great hospitality room!

• Upvote 1

Lampe looked good in last years final vs Carr, 6-4. Shouldnt surprise anyone to see him back there again this year, one step higher!

• Upvote 1

How did St. X do at the Moeller Duals in Cincy?

My understanding is that they went o'fer, but scored better than in the past. Can't say that I followed this event much this time around.

1. Stephan Myers is the best kid in the state. No questions. If he could make it to 145 by Senior National time, I would put money on him finishing top 4. He blew me away this weekend, and I have been watching this kid wrestle and talking to buddy’s (other Cincy and Dayton coaches) for years about him. He wins state from 145 to 220. Oh and on top of that he is a CLASS act. I was blown away by his demeanor today. Super level headed and real respectable. I left more blown away by him than anything else.

2. Kentucky wrestling has come a long way in the past 15 years. The quality of wrestling, and the technicality was so impressive this weekend. My old college coach told me if I wanted to survive in college I needed to do two things; keep my head up and elbows in. In the past Kentucky wrestling has struggled with this idea, but after watching yesterday I was blown away by how technical a lot of the young men competing were.

3. Nathan Boston will not destroy Blackwell. At this point I don't see Boston beating Blackwell. Adams gave him all he could handle in the finals. I know how good Boston is (I watched him win Super32 two years ago) but at this point 120 is not his weight. At this point in the season Boston loses to Blackwell.

4. Quality of officiating. I was impressed overall with the officiating this weekend. Yes there is always so bum calls that can go either way, but as a group calls were consistent and fair. Nice job Ryle getting the officials.

5. A lot of kids are out of weight classes. Looking over the weigh in sheets, the descent plan had several kids out of weight. One that sticks out the most is 182. Baurer from ST. X weigh in at 174, and Warwick from Conner weigh in at 167. Both finished top six and both will be at 170 when they are allowed to go. Also 113 had a couple of kids who will eventually make 108, Hurst from Woodford stands out the most from that group.

6. Austin Myers wrestles with controlled explosions. BOOM! Out of no-where he explodes for a takedown that you never saw coming. Really wasn't pushed today expect from Thompson of Conner. I think that is most physical I saw someone get with Austin, and Austin handled it well and pinned in the second period.

Overall an A+ day from the folk at Ryle. Thanks for the great wrestling and the great hospitality room!

Well that's weird because this was the first year Boston had ever been to super 32

Thanks eville dad .I have a good story for you.When my son john was working out at fern creek his freshman year,your son johnny in a definitive way said to me "he will be a state champion some day" talking about my son john. I didnt think much about it at the time but now I think back sometime and wander what he saw that I didnt.I have seen alot of good wrestlers over the years and johnny woo still stands out as one of the best. Hope you guys are well and thanks for the support.

Hi Jeff,

I see alot of your oldest John when i watch Justin and Dominic, hard nosed and always pressing. They both will be contenders year in and year out. They have grown up alot from when I first met them. I think I remember their first day on the mat they were probably 5 or 6 years old at the time, both hard workers then too. You can be proud of the fine young men in your family, they are all really good wrestlers too.

We are good here in Cincy thanks for asking. I try to keep up with the kids from Fern Creek and others I met from back when Johnny was wrestling, theres still quite a few of them. I'm amazed at the number of kids that came through that wrestling room from all over the state. I watch mostly on the internet now though, with Flo and track wrestling and different tournaments being broadcast I'm surprised at how much I can watch. Still go to a few matches up here too.

Good to hear from you and best of luck to you and Shelly and the kids. Tell your brother I said hello if you think of it. Happy Holidays!

A great tournament glad Stephen got to compete in it before he was done he has been in so many in different schools and leagues in a way its better than doing the same ones every year , Cit , Iron man , powerade Charlie Moore , Swowca , fargo Sandusky , Madeira , And now the Rumble , sect state and reg in two div in two state a wide variety of opponents and styles as well not many have his array of hardware less have his experiences and even fewer still have touched as

Many people as he has with his abilities and exciting style that win or lose is what has been his goal all along learn as much as you can do not be one dimensional or one styled . The looseness is all him that freestyle style is his own thing somewhat annoying to perfectionists and electric to fans .but usually fun to watch for everyone , you cannot practice what he does but having coaches in the past OT a coach or two that recognized his personality and style that coincide they let him go and worked with him

Rather than break him untill he did it their way .

Austin is more on the perfection side not really predictable but sometimes the opposite of Stephen , Stephen is unpredictable , Austin is predictable in that you know he is coming with a good stance and technique just like his last match appearing slow and almost childish in his mannerisms and then pressing when he gets his chance , opposite styles formed wrestling each other , Austin had to have perfect form to stop years of Stephens offense and then waiting for his chance to score he had to be quick , Stephen likes banging and brawling as much

As shooting and setting up many different moves on offense , I have seen him batter 275 lb tanks around the room weighing under 150 beating and brawling and backing them up every step of the way ,,I see it in Cooper as well he has always been a rugged brawler with his Russian tie ups and offense on top they really would have a great match , of course I don't have to say who I think wins as I'm sure any and every dad says lol ,

Im glad X has steped up and I'm also glad so many from there have assaulted me before I have ever even spoken a single harsh word about them actually only good ones , it will give me pleasure over the next few yrs whenever we wrestle them no need for anymore false friendliness as was offered us and then unoffered without us asking for or doing anything to be unoffered , no need to ask to train with us to scope us out or catch up you can't get here from there , no fancy room no video footage and no amount of insane midget mojo or tv sycophany can begin to match up and can only be laughed at , moms running around bragging of future victories after embarrassing defeats to opposing teammates parents , people openly making fun of losses and injuries on open forums , dads verbally assaulting parents and kids he has never seen or spoken too on forums , as usual chest thumping by those on teams full of nothing but private school recruits , just a bit to soon though , as i said step up and try your luck against the best or are you scared since you don't have him on video or haven't gotten to scope him out , cut and run , stay in state avoid the out of state battles and create an in state legend , what a joke ,no need for mystery place a bet with me Napoleon of X I'm a gambler who has won quite a few and there's more than luck backing my bets .

You give a lot if insight, it is just really hard to keep up with the flow of what you are saying mpire. Where's Stephen going to college at? Look forward to following him after he assuredly will dominate one more season in ky this year.

Wow, talk about hyperbole. Yes, he's a great wrestler and perhaps the best in KY, although I'd disagree with that. He's nowhere near the top 4 IN OHIO, let alone the nation. Collica, Scheidel, Bo Jordan, and even Marinelli the frosh have to be considered better based on victories over better competition. Winning the Rumble in dominant fashion is great, but it doesn't mean squat on the national stage. From what I saw at Ironman, he doesn't place high there if at all.

No one is better than Bo , Steph has beaten Scheidel and lost to him in a close match over summer without anything remotely resembling a full yr Of wrestling and Marinelli is obviously hot placing top two at Iron Man ,

Now about that Iron Man class , the top 5 kids in the country at 152 were not even there making it a rather weak class for an IRON MAN , he has placed at Iron Man in a much tougher field that included Evan Silver , Cisneros , Dance. Keener , Guillibon , Cali champs from Clovis , state champs from okl and more ,placing top four in the toughest class at Iron Man as fresh with an 18 seed . Lol after a Fargo AA performance in a class that was the toughest there that saw Fahy Ward and Collica come home empty and the winner of which he nearly teched but lost to who won the Ow because of the depth in the class

To say he wouldn't have placed at Iron Man is a stretch , to say how high who can say you are only as good as those around you or I would say as sharp , in the right setting he would do more than place high he could beat everyone who was there at 152 , I don't think guru said anything about being the best in the country I think he said. The state as in Ky ,

Now as for the top 4 in oh he has. Beaten Collica at every level and out wrestled him in Fargo in the past he can Only wrestle who he is up against and can only be as good as those around him and a little better. No one but him in Ky could hang with those you mentioned and mainly because of his past and his own natural abilities many of which have been cultivated over time .

As for top 4 he easily beat an ohio ranked # 3 in D1 160 15 to 3 and techd an Indy top 8 this weekend who beat the 2nd ranked kid in ky at 160 the match before , and anyone watching him can easily see he should be a 145 at least a 152 . As for past competition Marinelli may become a great one but has beaten no one on the level of Stephens past victories , Steph has beaten Dance Tuma , Keener , Collica , Brill , and many many more , your Iron Man adventure has blown up your head a bit one tournament does not make you an authority on wrestling and in your case it has created a know it all who know very little , the kids you mention I have seen and watched my boys wrestle with since early grade school days and on many national teams together , moves and being away from their past coaches surely has effected my boys but their past is still theirs they just didn't forget everything they have done when they moved as everyone in Ohio last week and Ky this week has seen .

Any place at Iron Man would e great lol he has placed there and at Bigger tournys , your talking about a kid who went to Fargo two yrs in a row and AA both and doubled the second , that's the hardest thing to do in this sport doubling in Fargo you cannot comprehend it Fargo makes Iron man look like a sectional compared to a state championship Yes all past accomplishments but don't talk about past victories and do not down current ones , he has NEVER not placed in any tournament in HS EVER even last summer after only a few weeks on the mat he AA at NHSCA nat , a bad performance

For him that most would die for lol

There are a few in ky that could claim to be the best , why you choose to contest someone's observation of him I do not know but with his performance last yr at state under more disadvantage than anyone other than his brother in the tourny I think he not only deserves those accolades he took them by deeds and has done so so far this yr . People will say what they want but when he is done with HS regardless of anything that happens from now on No one any where near his sise will have had his past in the sport in or from ky ever no one will have had anything comparable to his HS record or resume . Not blasting anyone , learn the past of who you are talking about and look at his recent past and present before doubting them , a kid a sr with a great past just won two OWs in two states in two weeks and electrified the crowd and easily stood out in rooms full of great wrestlers.

Do you think your negative post can change anything he has done in the past or recently , not hardly , no one said he was the best in the nation but he is one of the best and is uniqe in this sport. as a measuring stick for your bias mind as a fresh he beat a soph soon to be Ky state champ 14 to 1 in a match that many saw a tech and a pin that was not given because they did not want a no seed beating a 1 seed so severely

As for who is really the best in ky

Who won the most who did the best who actually had the best yr in the eyes of everyone not just in Ky but the nation , no contest , Austin had the best yr any freshman has ever or possibly may ever have in this state . Had anyone else won state at 220 as a fresh and grade level nationals and the ow there no one would be discussing who was the best wrestler in KY . Although Stephen is better lol

I stopped reading after nobody is better than Bo. Blah, blah, blah....your boys are great wrestlers. Watching Stephan was a pleasure not only on the mat, but also the way he seemed to handle himself. Seems like a very grounded kid. Settle down Francis!

Lol read the post before my last . And explain to me what it has to do with this thread an obvious bash on a kid by a person who knows little of him this sport and less about class .

This is Raider Rumble observations not a post for a redneck who observed a big tournament who thinks he knows wrestling all of a sudden to bash one of the better wrestlers in the country a multiple x state champ and AA with comments of what he thinks he can do or where he thinks he stands amongst the best in Ohio ky or the nation , wtf does that have to do with this thread I didn't see anyone he mentioned at Ryle . Did you.

Cool watching the matches on I high .

Easy access for college coaches. Not that anyone there is worthy according to some .

Wow, talk about hyperbole. Yes, he's a great wrestler and perhaps the best in KY, although I'd disagree with that. He's nowhere near the top 4 IN OHIO, let alone the nation. Collica, Scheidel, Bo Jordan, and even Marinelli the frosh have to be considered better based on victories over better competition. Winning the Rumble in dominant fashion is great, but it doesn't mean squat on the national stage. From what I saw at Ironman, he doesn't place high there if at all.

Wow I went to the big city and saw a reeeeeaall wrasslin match I know wrasslin betterm youns and now all y'all better listen up to my expertise in this here sport a wrasslin cause winnin down here at the rumble ain't nuthin and that there transfer. Caint beat the best four kids in Ohio or the nation he just whomped the hell outa most kids cause he's lucky ,

We will

Surely be listening in for your take on the rankings and level of all kids in the sport nkawgt 135 aka "dumb hillbilly " despite their performance and our own eyes .

Your experience at the iron man and observations of a class without any top 5 kids in it will make you a lifetime expert on everthing wrestling please feel free to invade every thread about other tournaments with your comparrison to Iron man and how the champions of any other tournament no longer mean nothing ,

BOTH Myers boys would place at Ironman. Stephen placed as a freshman (pretty high placement if I recall) so the smart money is on him placing again. I think it is safe to assume that he knows how to navigate a big bracket (mental prep) and would be a mid placer.

Back to this event. Nice recap WrestlingGuru. Sounds like a successful event.