Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Fern Creek

I have heard some very positive things about Fern Creek this season. It is great to see Fern Creek getting back to where they used to be. Congrats to Coach Hitchings and his staff on rebuilding what used to be power in Kentucky Wrestling.

I was amazed at the quality and experience of the kids that were at Fern Creek when I arrived. Great, hardworking kids with lots of experience(mostly middle school). Jeff Branch had everything setup and ready for what could be a very nice run for us. Our lineup is full of freshmen and sophmores(and an 8th grader) so it will be a building process. Our current lineup, grade, and experience:

106 Mike Klein, 9, 3 years

113 Jorge Vega, 10, 3 years, out last year, ready to challenge

120 Travis Roberts, 9, 3 years

126 Jeremy Henahan, 9, 3 years

132 Jared Branch, 8, 5 years

138 Malik Caldwell, 10, first year

145 Rayvon Franklin, 12, 3 years

152 Bryce Hoffman, 10, 4 years(Could see Trent Cox,12 MS state champ here when healed)

160 Geovannie Bacon, 12, 2 years

170 Michael Kollar, 10, 4 years

182 Austin Woods, 10, 4 years(Could see Stephen Bhoolai here)

195 Kohl Dodd, 10, 5 years

220 Nick Skaggs, 10, 4 years

Hvy Gabe Lord, 12, ranked 6th, should be wrestling late on Saturday in Feb.

We currently have about 40 kids in our middle school program. 8 are ranked in MS.

Our newly renovated wrestling room is spectacular. Several have commented that it looks like a college wrestling room.

The future is bright. I tell the kids often that we don't have to wait for the future. Let's get it done NOW!

• Upvote 2

I was amazed at the quality and experience of the kids that were at Fern Creek when I arrived. Great, hardworking kids with lots of experience(mostly middle school). Jeff Branch had everything setup and ready for what could be a very nice run for us. Our lineup is full of freshmen and sophmores(and an 8th grader) so it will be a building process. Our current lineup, grade, and experience:

106 Mike Klein, 9, 3 years

113 Jorge Vega, 10, 3 years, out last year, ready to challenge

120 Travis Roberts, 9, 3 years

126 Jeremy Henahan, 9, 3 years

132 Jared Branch, 8, 5 years

138 Malik Caldwell, 10, first year

145 Rayvon Franklin, 12, 3 years

152 Bryce Hoffman, 10, 4 years(Could see Trent Cox,12 MS state champ here when healed)

160 Geovannie Bacon, 12, 2 years

170 Michael Kollar, 10, 4 years

182 Austin Woods, 10, 4 years(Could see Stephen Bhoolai here)

195 Kohl Dodd, 10, 5 years

220 Nick Skaggs, 10, 4 years

Hvy Gabe Lord, 12, ranked 6th, should be wrestling late on Saturday in Feb.

We currently have about 40 kids in our middle school program. 8 are ranked in MS.

Our newly renovated wrestling room is spectacular. Several have commented that it looks like a college wrestling room.

The future is bright. I tell the kids often that we don't have to wait for the future. Let's get it done NOW!

I thought middle schoolers were unable to participate in high school in Jefferson Co.?

8th graders can participate in high school in Jeff. Co. There was one year, two or three years ago, that JCPS tried to ban middle schoolers across the board. It hurt girl's soccer, basketball, and softball the most, so the rule was overturned. The middle schooler must live within the district of the high school to compete.

It is good to see Fern Creek so quickly returning to prominence, but let's remember partly why this is true. They are managing to keep their middle schoolers at Fern Creek, something that didn't happen for several years. The coaching at Fern Creek has always been strong.

• Upvote 1

8th graders can participate in high school in Jeff. Co. There was one year, two or three years ago, that JCPS tried to ban middle schoolers across the board. It hurt girl's soccer, basketball, and softball the most, so the rule was overturned. The middle schooler must live within the district of the high school to compete.

It is good to see Fern Creek so quickly returning to prominence, but let's remember partly why this is true. They are managing to keep their middle schoolers at Fern Creek, something that didn't happen for several years. The coaching at Fern Creek has always been strong.

What if the kids district home school doesnt have a wrestling program?

Yes. Neither can Male

Why not Male, especially since they have schools like JCTMS that feed into it? I dont really understand the private school issue either, seems like they should at least be allowed to use kids from private grade schools. But not allowing Male to when others in Jefferson county are allowed to boggles me. :wacko:

Nkawtg135, I understand your point of view, but, how can a middle school kid that has reached his full potential on his level not be allowed to wrestle up. In my opinion, your college student arguement is invalid. We are talking about moving up, not down. There have been plenty of 8th graders step up and do very well. Some examples, Joe Carr Jr., Coty Lewis, Harrison Courtney, Josh Johnson, Mark Hall, Kevin Cooper, etc. We can't hold elite guys like this back. Just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, can't forget Brock Ervin.

By the way....Fern Creek's 8th grader, Jared Branch, is the #1 seed at 132 at the Derby Classic this weekend. We'll see, but it sounds like he is ready for high school wrestling. Record so far this year...9-1. Only loss came when his coach bumped him to 138.

Why not let an 8th grader wrestle up? Because he's not in high school! Has nothing to do with ability. It takes away from the opportunity of kids who develop later. It amazes me that so many in education are all about diversity and fairness, but think its ok to give uber-talented 8th graders an extra bite at the apple. Fours years of eligibility should be the limit for high school.

Otherwise the KHSAA should drop the HS.

Once again nkawtg135, I'm going to have to disagree. Wrestling is a sport of opportunity based on talent, not age, body type, etc. If I have an 8th grader beat a senior in a wrestle off, the 8th grader is my varsity guy. In the argument of fairness, isn't that most fair? Putting out the best kid in each weight class. Why should an "uber-talented 8th grader" have an opportunity taken away because there is an older late bloomer who thinks he/she deserves the opportunity because of their age. That doesn't sound fair to me.

P.S. If we take middle school kids out of high school wrestling, we will be depleating the sport that we are trying to grow.

It's not all 8th graders. It's the ones who are smaller. 170 lb 8th graders aren't varsity very often (spare me the exceptions) while middle schoolers predominate the lighter weight classes.

I respect your opinion, but like you said, we'll agree to disagree. I don't think it's in the best long term interests of the kids or the sport.

Good conversation nkawtg135. I respect your position as well. Maybe we (as a state) will come up with a good compromise one day. Good luck to u and yours this year.