Sign in to follow this  
Loudmouth

Surprise teams

Aside from union and Ohio, what region 1 team do you think will have the biggest break out year?

I can personally see christan and uha having big years, but a team on the rise is davies county

I will give you the benefit of the doubt since I am guessing you are from Daviees. But Daviees has to do a lot more then return one region placer to be considered a team on the rise. I have been outside of the Region one scene for a couple years so I only have results to go off of and not any actual wrestling so take these rankings with a grain of salt. I know I said I was retired but I am one of those loudmouths who has to have his opinion heard sometimes. These are projected final region standings

1. Union County, any result otherwise would shock the state

2. Christian County, returns a huge name in Polley and enough point scorers to be a threat to anyone

3. Fort Campbell, it gets very murky starting here. Campbell has the potential to finish anywhere from second to sixth.

4. UHA, scores more points at state with their big 3

5. Ohio County, has lost a lot of fire power this past couple years but they always reload eventually

6. Trigg County, returns almost their entire lineup and can definately finish higher

7. Paducah Tilghman, one of those teams who could finish a lot higher, good potential.

8. Caldwell County, they have Agnew who could win a state title and studs like Gilkey

9. Hopkinsville, could finish a lot higher depending on the Lawsons and Bussel finish at tough weights

10. Graves County, loses Speed but Sisco is a good base to build around

11. Apollo, the Ward brothers can hang with anyone at their weight in the region

12. Calloway County, returns one state qualifier and always has that random good kid develop

13. Daviees County, returns one region placer I believe. Every year is supposed to be their breakout year it seems.

14. Owensboro, it takes a couple years to build a program unless you get a Shane Speed

I'm not from daviess actually, I'm from Ohio county but I am a fan of region one wrestling. I like your rankings and break down but I think a few things you missed. I would say

1.union

2. Fort Campbell

3. Ohio

4. Christan

5. Caldwell

6. Uha

7. Daviess

8. Tilghman

9. Hopkinsville

10. Trigg

11. Calloway

12. Apollo

13. Owensboro

Union looks to be going for it's 10th straight regional championship, I think one of the longest of any sporting team in western Ky history. Christian looks tough, can't forget they have Caleb Austin as well, another state placer returning. Got to see most of the regional teams at Trigg Takedown. I will have to agree, 145 will be stacked. Wonder where Polley was this weekend tho.

Union looks incredibly tough and with so many one right after another it would be no surprise to see some not at 1 move up a spot or two , it must be very exciting in that room with that many lighter to middleweight kids with that much talent .

Ward made a major name for himself when he reached the region finals last year, 103/106 has a long history of being one of the toughest weights in Region 1 for as long as I can remember. But we do have to remember Ward was also the only Region 1 106 not to place at state that year (another huge testament to our region) I will say the biggest reason behind that was I believe that was Ward's first ever time at State and he will easily do better next time around. In terms of UHA from my understanding they still have their big 3 of WIllen, Hall, and Montgomery but not many other kids have really stepped up. Coach Willen is a hell of a coach and I know he is doing his best with what he has got and UHA will continue to dominate tournaments with pretty much 3 guaranteed champs, not sure about duals though. As of right now Christian is number 2 in the region, I don't know how the duals went last year but I have some happy memories of mine concerning upsetting Christian County so we will see how Fort Campbell does.

I looked at last years results for Ward.....He didn't beat a soul in the Top 25 as far as I could see....It looks as if he wasn't even competitive with the top kids in the class..NWCA Scorebook if you need to see....ummm just sayin' !!!! I hope any kid does great out there....but talk is cheap....you have to earn your way to the TOP 5 !!!!!!!!

I looked at last years results for Ward.....He didn't beat a soul in the Top 25 as far as I could see....It looks as if he wasn't even competitive with the top kids in the class..NWCA Scorebook if you need to see....ummm just sayin' !!!! I hope any kid does great out there....but talk is cheap....you have to earn your way to the TOP 5 !!!!!!!!

Don't knock Ward for Apollo's weak schedule, he beat out Caleb Austin and Jeremiah Kline (two state placers) to place second at the regional tournament, I can't remember who he beat in the semi's though. I am not crowning him, and anyone who knows me knows how I am a firm believer in you need the wins to enter the discussion but he isn't some scrub with an inflated record

Don't knock Ward for Apollo's weak schedule, he beat out Caleb Austin and Jeremiah Kline (two state placers) to place second at the regional tournament, I can't remember who he beat in the semi's though. I am not crowning him, and anyone who knows me knows how I am a firm believer in you need the wins to enter the discussion but he isn't some scrub with an inflated record

Did not intend to knock...Congrats on getting to that Region Final...awesome....He was beaten by some lower ranked kids....He really came on to get to that Final....then you look at State.....You have to advance deep I would think to be a true contender....I truly hope he does fantastic this season......I feel there a lot of kids with talent at 106 this year that will make it a battle.....I imagine in Region 1 he should be the favorite....Best of luck to him and all Region 1 wrestlers ! Always an awesome Region !

@UKpride- remind me who the last team that won region 1 before union? Was it CC or FC? I am not sure too be honest.

If you want to go that far back it could be Hopkinsville, Coach Burnham would definitely know.

I'm thinking Christian county won it in 2003. Union took the first title in this streak the following year barely edging out Christian county, which was hosted at fort Campbell. CC did place higher as a team at state that year than union tho, with 2 state champions I believe.

I'm thinking Christian county won it in 2003. Union took the first title in this streak the following year barely edging out Christian county, which was hosted at fort Campbell. CC did place higher as a team at state that year than union tho, with 2 state champions I believe.

I remember that year. I think that was when Kris Perry beat Dwayne Martin in the finals. The last time Fort Campbell had an actual shot at winning the title was before the Johnson brothers quit when we still had Thomas Campbell and Matt Mines, 2005 or 2006 I think. Also a curse upon the KHSAA for breaking the links to the old results. I can get back to region results for 2007 and that it

Ever since 2004 (my freshman year at union) they have taken regions. The last 6-7 years really haven't been close, but the more I see some of these teams and their youth programs coming along, I feel that gap will get a little smaller and we will start to see a little more parity between the teams....

In 2004, CC had perry and AJ green who took it all. I didn't start wrestling until my freshman year so anything before the 2003-2004 season I am lost on.

• Upvote 2

@ManBearPig- thanks. I couldn't remember. I was a sophomore that year and I remember Slappy destroying a friend of mine at Northeast Christmas tournament.

@UK-I am lost too. I tried to look at our records today and the last records we had was 05? which was the year FC hosted regions. Before that it was 2000. From 01-09 are all missing.

Last team to win regions before Union: Fort Campbell 2003, tournament held at Christian. The year before that is was Christian. Union's streak started in 2004, the year Perry & Green won state. Regions were at Fort Campbell that year.

Last team to win regions before Union: Fort Campbell 2003, tournament held at Christian. The year before that is was Christian. Union's streak started in 2004, the year Perry & Green won state. Regions were at Fort Campbell that year.

Ah I was close! Let me know how everything goes at Hoptown this weekend. Won't be able to ref it anymore, have to attend a football game.