Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

Mark Hall returning to AV

Its all old news now and I posted on this site then that I didnt think Mark Hall would ever win a State Title in KY, (thank you Myron) but I guess that still remains to be seen, they could drive back down here at anytime in the next 3-4 or I guess 5 years. But I just really found it hard to believe a family (?) living in a trailer next to the school passed the KHSAA test for legitimate reason for a move? Am i missing something here or were they really living in a trailer, tell me I'm wrong on this?

Well goo like I said h didn't break any ky rule because he did not compete twice In the KY league or whatever it is in the same grade he was in another state and organization sooo no rule was broken , in either state ,

Yes he broke the 1st rule. A kid cannot transfer for athletic reasons.

now if everyone had the same thought as you do on the subject goo we would not have enjoyed all those olympic medals our us team got this Olympics or the last , Cejudo left his native state as a young man to wrestle at the Olympic training center do you think all those young gymnasts are academics first ? Not hardly ,

So what! No skin off my nose if we don't win a few medals at the olympics.

However we have now dropped out of the top five in academics in the world. That is what is really what is troubling, and I think it has a lot to do with sports. It use to be that you had to have at least a C average to participate in sports. Now you can fail 2 classes and have D's in your other classes and still participate in sports. (KHSAA rules, but schools can make the requirements more strict if they like).

I would like to see the corrolation between those two stats.

Thank you Buckeye. Even though we may or may not see eye to eye here at least you understand my stance here. I also understand some of the parents that make this decision because it may be the only way they think they can get their kid in college. Many believe if they don't get an athletic scholarship they will not attend college, so they retain them to get an advantage in high school. I don't agree but I understand. There are way to many grants and other types of scholarships out there if you look hard enough.

Just for the record. I found this in the Minnesota High School athletics Handbook.

BYLAW 109.00 SEASONS OF PARTICIPATION

Cross Reference: Bylaw 101 (Age), Bylaw 110 (Semesters Enrolled), Board Policy 109

and Bylaw 208 (Definition #8) Effective with the 7th grade class of 2011-2012.

1. Students may not participate in more than one interscholastic season in a given sport in each school year or more than six

seasons in any sport while enrolled in grades 7 to 12.

2. Participation, no matter how limited, will count as one season of participation.

BYLAW 110.00 SEMESTERS ENROLLED

Cross Reference: Bylaw 101 (Age), Bylaw 103 (Credit Requirements) and Bylaw 109 (Seasons of Participation)

Students shall be eligible for participation in League-sponsored activities for twelve consecutive semesters (six years),

beginning with their initial entrance into the 7th grade.

Counting Semesters: The student has twelve consecutive semesters for participation whether the student chooses to participate

or not, and regardless of whether the student remains fully enrolled or not. The twelve consecutive semesters begin with the

student’s initial entrance into the 7th grade.

Looks like maybe another rule was bent in Minnesota.

I will give it to you GOO,you do your homework. A few years back ,I thought the only way my son could get a scholarship was with wrestling but then I found out how few they really give.A ref from Indiana told my son, I don't care how good you become in wrestling you better have really good grades.She even went as far as to say,they also look for good people so it would help if he got involved with community service.So he might not do anything in state this year but he did get all A's and a B on his first set of grades.( I am just as happy about that so far)

So you think the US dropping out of the top 5 Is wdue to sports . That's a stretch to say the least . Kids staying occupied with a disciplined sport getting blamed for the downfall of US education ???????

I would blame it on kids not doing sports first , hanging out getting into trouble ???? You know the old fashioned reasons kids were always admired for getting into sports !!!!!!!!And now they are getting blamed for the drop in education in the world .

No skin off my nose either about the Olympics just proud of our athletes lol

Perhaps everyone should have just ran that little seventh grade evildoer out of the state before his dad could even plug in his camper to the nearest outlet and thank the wrestling and education gods he lost to a Sr at the state tournament or the US educational system would have totally collapsed .

If Ky has rules allowing jr high kids to wrestle in HS Wth did everyone expect and those are KHSAA rules . Yes living in a camper is a bit excessive but also a great burden . I doubt it phased the Halls a bit they have travelled the country for years in a camper for tournaments

not due to sports but due to the lax in academic requirement to play sports in school. And the importance that community and parents have put into sports, for many it outweighs academics in society today.

• Upvote 1

So you think the US dropping out of the top 5 Is wdue to sports . That's a stretch to say the least . Kids staying occupied with a disciplined sport getting blamed for the downfall of US education ???????

I would blame it on kids not doing sports first , hanging out getting into trouble ???? You know the old fashioned reasons kids were always admired for getting into sports !!!!!!!!And now they are getting blamed for the drop in education in the world .

No skin off my nose either about the Olympics just proud of our athletes lol

Perhaps everyone should have just ran that little seventh grade evildoer out of the state before his dad could even plug in his camper to the nearest outlet and thank the wrestling and education gods he lost to a Sr at the state tournament or the US educational system would have totally collapsed .

If Ky has rules allowing jr high kids to wrestle in HS Wth did everyone expect and those are KHSAA rules . Yes living in a camper is a bit excessive but also a great burden . I doubt it phased the Halls a bit they have travelled the country for years in a camper for tournaments

I see where you are coming from and I agree with what you are saying. Kids need a discipline. Whether it be sports, music, etc. However, the greater point being made is that we are raising VEAL. We give kids "participation ribbons". The minimum GPA to be eligible is what, 2.0? I know that if I came home with straight Cs my arse would get whooped. There would be NO extracurriculars, as sports were looked upon as a priveledge when I grew up. Nowadays, I see folks complaining that they have to pay for little Johnny to play. It is an EXTRAcurricular, a priveledge. Back to topic. I wish the Halls all the best. Have they worked the system to their advantage? Sure. As long as Mark is happy and advancing academically and socially I see no problem with it. Whether he is or not I do not know.

I would think Mark has seen more of the country / world than most kids his age , I'm sure he is advanced in most aspects of a real education .

NY to Cali , he's been everywhere , his dad took him and my boys through Canada to do the 1000 island duals a couple yrs back in NY and I saw he beat Cisneros in Cali a yr or so ago , everywhere , people should not be such haters they are very dedicated to the sport , regardless of what means they use , Mark has a life outside of wrestling as well they live normal lives go to movies play video games watch football normal kid stuff . Just bust it in the wrestling room and on the mat .

The Minnesota rule for any varsity sport of 6 years was passed after Mark Halls 7th grade year so he

was grandfathered in. No rules were ever broken in Minnesota or Kentucky.Further more, theres nothing wrong with holding a child back to spend another year with them before sending them out into the world. (This decision was made with his best interest in mind. Whats "right" for one kid may not be right for the next AND thats what all of you are forgetting here. Just because you may not agree or understand everything involved in making a decision of this magnitude, doesnt give you the right to judge.)

Well mark had a nitch in his plan from the start ,HELLO he wrestled here to wrestle HS comp and he wrestled up when he was doing it ,

Why would you say he was wrestling up? Probably so, in every aspect other than weight. The general consensus when he wrestled in Kentucky- he was cutting and cutting hard. He has fb posting that he was up to 165 this past summer. A 7th grader should not be cutting.

Further more, theres nothing wrong with holding a child back to spend another year with them before sending them out into the world. (This decision was made with his best interest in mind. Whats "right" for one kid may not be right for the next AND thats what all of you are forgetting here. Just because you may not agree or understand everything involved in making a decision of this magnitude, doesnt give you the right to judge.)

You keep telling yourself that, if that's what helps you sleep at night.

If spending another year with them is the issue then hold him back and don't compete. (But I suspect that is not the real reason.)

As for judging, we all do it every day. We judge how someone is driving in front of us and in back of us. Nothing wrong with judging anyone.

The "judging "is to often the hating and of course a loving parent would not want their kid gone any sooner than necessary , and if it is all good with a kid an his parent then holding them back is fine and has more + than - including getting to watch them win numerous HS state titles

No one asks to be judged and it's no ones buisness if it's within the rules and yes Mark did wrestle up to avoid making waves at Ryle ,common knowledge ,and as for cutting I have seen the best youth wrestlers in te country over the last twelve yrs more so than probably"I guarantee it" anyone in this state and Nearly all of them cut their Ass off , and not many harder than the kid Hall bumped up for so he could keep his spot ,

There will always be some crybabies complaining about someone doing it better than they are and using every advantage at their disposal ,Mark Hall has done more in the sport already than any kid in the state who lasting on him for anything only makes people look weak and envious , who cares if he makes all Cs in school Einstein wasn't an all A kid I heard LOL and obviously the intelligence level of many arguing about a 7 th grader who is ranked amongst the best HS wrestlers in the nation using rules to his advantage is not high enough to judge crap .

All I know is I will enjoy watching a hold back of my own win another state title this year and I already know he isn't the favorite anywhere , who cares this is a wrestling site lets focus on wrestling and quit crying about transfers and holdbacks it makes everyone look ignorant and envious , the rest of the country marvels at a kid and people in ky cry about him LOL it's ridiculous .

No matter what my take on this situation is, i will still enjoy watching him wrestle. Much like in pro sports. I don't really care to much about how they did what they did as long as they did it.

By now most know how i feel so this will be my summitive/conclusion.

Change the rules or whatever needs to be done, but follow the ones that are in place to the tee. I enjoyed Mark McGuire hitting mammoth home runs, then baseball made steroids illegal and he retired. I really didn't care. I also enjoyed Barry Bonds hit monster home runs however steroids were illegal in MLB at the end of his career. So I still enjoyed the home runs themselves but have a problem with them counting for the home run record. Allow everyone to follow the same rules then there is no problem. I personally don't care what the rules are, but make them, then stick to them.

GOO out.

So what school in Kentucky is Mark Hall wrestling for this year? Because you guys just blew up 3 pages of your life and over two weeks of thought for something that effects who....the Hall family. C'mon Man!

Otto started the thread "is he Halls dad ?"

What the heck do roids and baseball have to do with a jr high kid wrestling in HS in ky ???

People are so strange sometimes there is no comparison Hall broke no rules here in ky and evidently no where else ,I doubt he's juicing so Bonds McGuire Arnold or Conseco don't have anything in common with him , Halls tougher he's a kid wrestling up without advantage other than his hard work and obsession with wrestling ,

It seems greatness and what it takes to get there is something that is foreign to most so they tag anyone who attempts it at all costs as a rule breaker if not this then that some hater envious person would find something to cry about , it all a compliment to him any drama any talk it's all good LOL

Otto started the thread "is he Halls dad ?"

What the heck do roids and baseball have to do with a jr high kid wrestling in HS in ky ???

People are so strange sometimes there is no comparison Hall broke no rules here in ky and evidently no where else ,I doubt he's juicing so Bonds McGuire Arnold or Conseco don't have anything in common with him , Halls tougher he's a kid wrestling up without advantage other than his hard work and obsession with wrestling ,

It seems greatness and what it takes to get there is something that is foreign to most so they tag anyone who attempts it at all costs as a rule breaker if not this then that some hater envious person would find something to cry about , it all a compliment to him any drama any talk it's all good LOL

Agree with above. I brought it up because he is a great wrestler with ties to the area. In my opinion (granted I have followed him from a distance with no first hard or even second hand knowledge of any wrongdoing) he has used the rules to his advantage. This does not mean he broke any rules. Looking forward to the season. AV attends Clash and Cheesehead which receive good coverage. I'm sure Flo videos will be up.

I have talked to a few people about the whole situation and how things happened , I don't think it was him wrestling here that bothered most but that he came just before wrestling season and left right when it was over and although he broke no rules it kind of rubbed people the wrong way I wasn't sure on when he came and left just knew he wrestled there and left afterwards , it's understandable and someone can actually see both sides either way he's good and has worked and moved around to get better and that's his / their right , I have always tried to be a home team player untill given reason to be otherwise I am glad my sons got to represent the state they were born in and I was also glad they got to represent their former state . I think the people in ky are or we're worres about people dumping on them or seeing them as an inferior state as far as the sport but it is what it is ky has some quality wrestlers and teams and people no reason to sweat it just be truthful about the issues and why people say what they do ,

Let this thread die he's good he was here he's gone end of story or at least KYs part of it .

Much more things to discuss it almost time where's everyone going to be and who's going to be standing on the top of the podiums at the end of the year what are the best matches going to be ,

Not trying to keep this thread going, but did anyone watch the Cooper/Hall match today at the Michigan Grappler. Great match, Coop was up going into 3rd, but Hall pulled it out 5-3 with riding time. Coop went after him and was in his face the whole match. I'll go with Kevin next weekend, he'll finish that single the next time!

Not trying to keep this thread going, but did anyone watch the Cooper/Hall match today at the Michigan Grappler. Great match, Coop was up going into 3rd, but Hall pulled it out 5-3 with riding time. Coop went after him and was in his face the whole match. I'll go with Kevin next weekend, he'll finish that single the next time!

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/249371-2012-Grappler-Fall-Classic/video/658524-152-Finals-Mark-Hall-MI-vs-Kevin-Cooper-KY