Sign in to follow this  
Givemethatdouble

Best and worst!

Best one I personally witnessed was Knable but I think Joe Carr Jr would be the best based off his performance nationally and in college. Worst - there is a long list of 103's or 112's and Hwt's who come to mind as far as wrestling skill is concerned. But I remember 2001 the 152 from St X that had like 15 losses on the year and won it. I think his name was Will Steinbach or something like that. At the time I thought he was the least talented guy that had won it all.

best state champ well people can say what they want to, but since Austin myers started his freshman yr. here i would say hes the best state champ. At the 2012 state tournament not only was he the only freshman in the finals, but everybody that placed in 220 was a senior. He also beat a returning state champ who won state by a pin. There no argument

Trying to figure out who the best state champions are is like asking who were the best wrestlers in KY.

Being an old fart I still look back at Jerod Trice from Hop-town and think he was the best wrestler I have ever seen. The kid could/would hit any move that coach Ploesser told him to hit and just dismantaled everyone he wrestled. To bad he didn't finish his career.

Hop-town had some dominating wrestlers in the 80s and 90s. Livington and Miguel Merritt were beasts, Willie Ennels, Hank Pinner. All just scary to wrestle.

• Upvote 1

I would agree best ever in ky would have to go to Willie ennels. He would dismantle and this is my opinion any state champ any year in his respective weight class. And possible alot of additional weight classes. And just to say the has been other wrestlers to win state as a freshman. Even in 8th grade and there will prolly be some that win in 7 th grade down the road. That don't make ya the best knable and Carr where 4 timers and they ar not my top pick carr is right up there but not my number one.

The worst? I personally wouldnt care, they were the best in their class that weekend. Thats all that should matter, some kids get better towards the end of a season, some stay the same, and some even seem to lose some intensity. Let's congratulate our champions, not look for the worst in them.

• Upvote 1

The only reason I don't give it to Ennels is because in tight situations he would always take the "Time out" breather. Using his knee as the reason for the injury time out. On several occations I saw the match was close in the 3rd period. He would take his 2 minute (They use to give you 2 minutes) time out, then come out and dominate agian.

GOO who is the best Hoptown wrestler in your opinion?

The only reason I don't give it to Ennels is because in tight situations he would always take the "Time out" breather. Using his knee as the reason for the injury time out. On several occations I saw the match was close in the 3rd period. He would take his 2 minute (They use to give you 2 minutes) time out, then come out and dominate agian.

I have no idea who the best ever in ky is I do have an idea of who it will be but I can say with about 99 .99% accuracy that you will not see a 7th grader win 220 at state or an 8th grader any time soon if at all .I did not know all the placers at 220 were seniors except Austin and I do not know if they all were.

I never saw the older Reuchell wrestle In HS but judging from his college performance he would have to have been something special in High School.

I saw some kids dominate classes at state like I never thought possible this year . I'm not sure if that means there is great separation in talent levels or that the top kids are just excellent this year in ky there are a lot of good lighter weights but seeing Fahy Canter Stephen Cooper Polly Hamilton Hitchings the Jones bros and Troxcell and some of the others their were plenty of talented middleweights as well .I just think the better kids got separated and had very good days at state .Brock looked great and won a tough class he looked very impressive to me probably the funnest for me to watch since I had never seen him ,other than my own boys of course for me .

Don't like the worst part of this thread state champs are state champs no kid needs blasted for taking advantage of his class call or situation I'm sure every single champ did his work at some point.

J Jaggers lost a dozen or so matches enroute to his second national title. Guess what? He won when it mattered most. Same goes for the "less accomplished" state champs in HS.

Trying to figure out who the best state champions are is like asking who were the best wrestlers in KY.

Being an old fart I still look back at Jerod Trice from Hop-town and think he was the best wrestler I have ever seen. The kid could/would hit any move that coach Ploesser told him to hit and just dismantaled everyone he wrestled. To bad he didn't finish his career.

Hop-town had some dominating wrestlers in the 80s and 90s. Livington and Miguel Merritt were beasts, Willie Ennels, Hank Pinner. All just scary to wrestle.

I will have to agree that Trice was one of the best wrestlers to step on the mat in KY. For example, when was the last time that any of the state qualifiers or state champs had the mat cleared for them by their peers so that they could warm-up/ work out with Ken Chertow during the intermission at the state tournament at Atherton in the 90's. Man this was an incredible moment!! I recall Chertow praising him on his Greco -Roman skills and offering him an opportunity to wrestle in college and keep in mind that he was able to put on such a performance after taking some time off due to personal reason. Not only was Trice a hell of a wrestler he was also a outstanding coach as well! We all know the story and I'm glad to see that the wrestling community still remember great wresting from the 90's.

Ennels was amazing to watch on the mat and a definite beast. The Western Kentucky District was stacked around those weights in 1992. Ennels won State at 160 with Corley from Fort Campbell finishing 2nd (if I remember correctly). Joey Roby from Caldwell County won state at 152 that year as well.

yoU know what was amazing about the hoptown group is they all had the same blood line, poindexters herrings, merritts, But I have to give Trice, the cousin the edge, If he doesnt get shot in the stomach, he probably is the best all time. I saw him destory an indiana state runner up like he was nothing.

I would like to see a fat man, Austin Meyers match, at any grade level

I hope I misread your post , and I did . Lol sorry big Ed

I would have liked to have seen what Austin could have done in KY last yr he wrestled everywhere from 146 to 209 weighing close to 190 he had 49 pins all before the third I think and had a 10 1 or 10 0 win in the finals against another wrestler who pinned out for the year and he also beat the third place finisher at districts who had pinned out till that point , he could have wrestled 195 but probably would have went 171 or whatever the heck it was last yr ,

Either way if you see a 7th grader or 8 th grader win an upper weight something is probably wrong with your state Austin was an older 8th grader last yr and I think the worst he would hav done against the same kid he wrestled wrestled this year is third he would have placed for sure at 220 he was smaller and weaker but probably sharper , I actually think he would have pulled it off and won . And I have heard of Livingston Merritt you threw me on the fat man I apologize .

• Upvote 1

Wow. Fatman is the nickname of one of the Hoptown wrestlers in the 90's. I actually forget which one but BigD, is not insulting Austin.

If you read the sentance it says a FATMAN "comma" Austin Meyers match.

Much like you would say a Fuzzy, Giggles match.

HHH.

As I mentioned Trice in my opinion is the best wrestler I have ever seen and probably the best I will ever see.

However comparing older wrestlers to new wrestlers is hard. Much like comparing Babe Ruth (Greatest of all time baseball player) to Willie Mays. Different situations, eras, rules, and training.

Remember back in the day, there was no optional start, or starting in neutral position after the 1st period. You had to choose top or bottom. You were forced to wrestle on the mat. not many let em up, take em down wrestlers. Except Troy Cole (Conner), who between him and Curt Zinga (Campbell) the best two I have seen in NKY.

GOO- Livingston Merritt was AKA "Fatman". I think he placed at state as an 8th grader as well. Correct me if I am wrong. Maybe around 145 or so. I can remember watching Trice, Ennels, and all the Merrritts wrestle. Very talented group, but of course I might be a little west Kentucky biased.

What the heck is up Fussy Giggles , never heard of him and the CC kids call Austin Bo Bo and there is a Fatman in the past I assume P Hamilton is Fussy Giggles , correct,I guess the silly nicknames are the best imagine how many EARS are out there .

Just a personal observation and totally off topic but most kids and people judge a wrestler by his ears I look at their nose , my oldest son would shoot as a youth wrestler and get cross faced to hell and back and never never let go I know it smashed the cartilage in his nose giving him that boxer / old school football player nose I know a ki from SK that has that same look as well .funny seeing all the older coaches look at a little kids ears when dad start telling wrestling tales about them , little kids hear it and choose never to wear headgear again till puberty and girls are like Wth is up with your ears then it's to late .

I wasn't sure which Merritt was "Fatman"

As for Livingston Merritts credentials.

1992, 7th grade 140 5th

1993 8th grade 152 4th

1994 9th grade 189 3rd

1995 10th grade 215 1st

1996 11th grade 215 1st

1997 12th grade Hwt 1st