Sign in to follow this  
ridingtime

Stieber Oliver

I don't understand why Oliver was not awarded the takedown at the end of the match. He had both legs covered and Stieber was on his butt, this position is called a takedown 9 times out of 10 if it was on the out of bounds line but refs don't call it when inbounds, why is that?

If you have both feet when the guy goes out of bound the ref calls that a takedown but wont do inbounds?

I have always wondered this, am i missing something here or are the refs just calling it like that because that's the way it's always been called.

I looked it up in the rule book and this is what i found....

Section 26 Takedowns....Art.2…

A takedown shall be awarded when one or both knees of the defensive wrestler are touching the mat beyond reaction time or when the defensive wrestler’s legs or torso are controlled and the majority of the weight is supported by the hands.

Ther are pictures in the rule book that show those positions in a picture and say it's a takedown... Page 61 of the 2009-2010 rule book.

1. The ref blew the call or;

2. The ref believed Stieber being locked around Oliver negated control of his legs.

Either way it was a thrill and I'm glad the Bucks got another national champion.

Yea Ryan put a duck on the guard

I wonder if thats why the ref didnt award 2, because he didnt feel it would be fair to award two after not awarding to Stieber earlier?

When Oklahoma State is wrestling you learn not to expect calls to go their way. I think it was a blown call, but more so I believe it is the ref's personal philisophy not to call that a takedown. All my misery from that moment was fixed when Dake called out the Iowa crowd, great moment.

1. The ref blew the call or;

2. The ref believed Stieber being locked around Oliver negated control of his legs.

Either way it was a thrill and I'm glad the Bucks got another national champion.

No body lock negates control of the legs page 61 of the rule book.... Blown call

Dake is my favorite wrestler of all time.. the reason Oliver wasn't awarded a takedown was he didn't get his head out and climb to the hips, in order to get a takedown in the middle of the mat you gotta cover the hips, the out of bounds line you can get it by covering the ankles.. heck of a match either way, good job stieber..

Dake is my favorite wrestler of all time.. the reason Oliver wasn't awarded a takedown was he didn't get his head out and climb to the hips, in order to get a takedown in the middle of the mat you gotta cover the hips, the out of bounds line you can get it by covering the ankles.. heck of a match either way, good job stieber..

Dake is a good wrestler but the most boring to watch, the kid can ride but not turn.

Is there something that says you have to cover the hips in the middle of the mat, but only have to cover the ankles on the out of bounds line? This is what I have the real problem with, I would like to see this in the rule book if that is in fact the rule.

Well I will agree to disagree with your opinion of dake, and I agree that should be in the rulebook but its not that I know of. But having wrestled my whole life, over 24 years from middle school thru college that's the way I have always seen it called. Is it fair depends on who you ask I guess.. I guess the best thing to hope for is a rematch next year.

When Oklahoma State is wrestling you learn not to expect calls to go their way. I think it was a blown call, but more so I believe it is the ref's personal philisophy not to call that a takedown. All my misery from that moment was fixed when Dake called out the Iowa crowd, great moment.

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.

No, I think he does. There is a definite anti-Smith bias out there. Has something to do with why Iowa and Okie State don't get along.

What the Iowa fans did in booing Dake was inexcusable. What he did in response was priceless.

Right call in the Stieber match. Oliver is excellent and will be back though.

The difference in Stieber's attempted takedowns in the first is reaction time. I think Oliver's takedown at the end was control, Stieber could only hold on (to nothing).