nkw2k11

Latest predictions for state!

I have a thought on this...Hammons will not beat Yenter. Personally, no one at this weight is going to touch Big Man Yenter. He is mentally tougher than any kid out there at 70 and technically sound. He has wrestled up all year. Sorry folks, not going to happen this year. Yenter wins it as 70!

• Upvote 1

I agree...that little man is top-notch. He's not only a spectacular wrestler, but a nice young man. He always has a great attitude and treats all of his competitors with the utmost respect (same goes for Wells in the 80 lb-ers); both are true winners in my book...from all angles. Wells has a much tougher bracket, but both will do just fine I'm sure (better then fine, actually).

• Upvote 2

Thundersturk, it will be very hard for a 70 lb er to get MOW.Most coaches will not vote for them because they feel they are wrestling alot of elementry kids.Not that I agree,.I think yenter is tough,they will question his competitors.I see very few cases IMO of it going outside the 105 class.Only because if you look, there is more state champs in that bracket then any other,Erdman-1,Emerson-1,Wiley-2 past mow).I do think that if Oxford was to upset Frankrone,or Frankrone was to pin Oxford one of them would have a very strong case.I think J.Oxford is the best wrestler in this years class not to win a state championship.Then I would look toward 113 with Heidorf,Smith,Spawr,Barton and a few others that have been wrestling a very long time.But don't get me wrong the lighter weights are going to be much more exciting to watch and it would not bother me at all if one of them got MOW.

Thundersturk, it will be very hard for a 70 lb er to get MOW.Most coaches will not vote for them because they feel they are wrestling alot of elementry kids.Not that I agree,.I think yenter is tough,they will question his competitors.I see very few cases IMO of it going outside the 105 class.Only because if you look, there is more state champs in that bracket then any other,Erdman-1,Emerson-1,Wiley-2 past mow).I do think that if Oxford was to upset Frankrone,or Frankrone was to pin Oxford one of them would have a very strong case.I think J.Oxford is the best wrestler in this years class not to win a state championship.Then I would look toward 113 with Heidorf,Smith,Spawr,Barton and a few others that have been wrestling a very long time.But don't get me wrong the lighter weights are going to be much more exciting to watch and it would not bother me at all if one of them got MOW.

I appreciate your honesty. I can understand the point that there are a lot of youth wrestlers that come up to MS to fill out that 70 lb weight class, however to get to state at any weight class means that the wrestler had to finish top 4 two events in a row to move forward. I would think by that time the herd has been trimmed down to only the best. In my eyes, all bets are off. It looks like several people are saying Yenter will win this class, but there is a reason the kids wrestle on Saturdays, to sort all that stuff out without our adult bias. We have all witnessed upsets, not just wrestling but in every sport out there. My voting would not be based on who did what last year, but more so on the merits of what has/or will be do in a week and 2 days. If Yenter goes out and pins his way through, he would be the top of the class at 70. When you consider that he has wrestled the majority of his matches at the 75lb and was unbeaten, he should have as good of a chance as any of the other final winners to take home that top prize of MOW. Anyway you look at it, that is what makes the State Tournament the premier event and the goal every wrestler has worked for all season, to be the State Champion so special. But for any kid to think he doesn’t have a chance at MOW, because of his weight, is simply not fair to kids that have busted their butts all year long. Best of luck to all the kids that made it this far, but I’m looking forward to seeing the upsets and hard fought victories.

The 70lb class is loaded this year. It should be a great class to watch, I expect it to be very exciting wrestling. But I want to say I'm very proud of my son who qualified for state as a 2nd grader this year. He will be in the 70lb class so if he wins a match it will be icing on the cake. He only weighs 62-63 lbs so he's giving away a lot of experience along with weight. I told him to go out and have fun with it. This year is just experience for him.

• Upvote 4

Hammons wrestled 75 all year also, he just moved down for districts. Hammons is very long, seems to swallow kids up. What about 168 lb bracket, has McIntosh been challenged in middle school? Good luck to all these young wrestlers next weekend!

ThunderstruckX2- How can you forget about the little squirt Grandstaff???? lol He beat Shay and I will go on a limb and say that was not a fluke and would happen again if they wrestle.

WHS98- I have already said that my vote will go the winner of 105 regardless how they win. That is one of the most stacked brackets I have ever seen in Middle School. Had not 3 of the top 6 dropped from 86 then I would be saying the same thing about 86 pounds but I'm not. I feel that no 70 pounder should ever win the MOW at Middle School cause if I was a betting man I was say 75% of the 70 pounders are in 5th grade or younger. There not middle school kids. And the ones that are middle school kids will be on the podium .

ThunderstruckX2- How can you forget about the little squirt Grandstaff???? lol He beat Shay and I will go on a limb and say that was not a fluke and would happen again if they wrestle.

That is exactly my point. Little Grandstaff wrestled one heck of a match against Shay. But how many people in the gym on Saturday were expecting Grandstaff to win? That was an upset, 3 seed beating a number 1 seed from the same district. He lost a tough match to Shay a week prior, by pin I think. All bets r off when you get to this time of the year. But that is what makes this sport so exciting. You bet your butt, I would have voted for Grandstaff for MOW if he had beat Yenter!!!! In a little more than a week, we get to watch the brackets play out. I, like everyone else on here, enjoys a good debate. But to say that one boy is going to run away with everything is discounting the other 15 wrestlers in the bracket. If so many people are sure that Yenter is going to run away with it, then Yenter needs to be considered for the MOW when the time comes. That is the only fair way to consider the MOW. If not, let’s call it the MOW for wrestlers 75lbs or above. Because according to some, 70 lbs in not a “true MS” weight class.

I wouldn't crown Binder at 92 just yet. Have you looked at that bracket? He will have to beat Siddens, then Johnson. I believe that he took a loss to Johnson this year. Not to mention the lower half of the bracket. Crazy things happen at state

I wouldn't crown Binder at 92 just yet. Have you looked at that bracket? He will have to beat Siddens, then Johnson. I believe that he took a loss to Johnson this year. Not to mention the lower half of the bracket. Crazy things happen at state

You dont crown anyone before its all done with, its the state tourny anybody can be beat. Bindner I belive will only wrestle one of them at state they wrestle 2nd and I believe he will have Johnson but thats just me. I watched him at NO he beat Jacobs by Fall and I also recall Jacobs beating johnson by 10 points this year at OC Super Duals, where Johnson beat Bindner.

I am coming out and saying that no one at 70 has a chance against Big Man Yenter. Nope...no debate here. Everyone will be fighting it out for 2nd -8th place at this weight. Sorry to be so frank, but sometimes, the obvious hits you right in the face. I like Grandstaff and Horton, but not against Yenter. He's just too good for these kids at 70.

• Upvote 1

No one gets around to seeing the west ky wrestlers so they get very little respect from people on here, but hammonds is pretty good. No way someone walks away with this wright class. Some people are starting to sound like a certain father from the high school board.

No one gets around to seeing the west ky wrestlers so they get very little respect from people on here, but hammonds is pretty good. No way someone walks away with this wright class. Some people are starting to sound like a certain father from the high school board.

You are right about not getting to see West Ky kids that much. Come on up to NKY. I am not Yenter's Dad or Coach, but I have seen him wrestle for the past few years and he will tough to beat. If, I'm wrong..I will admit it. If Hammonds beats him in the finals than I stand to be corrected, but I personally don't see it happening.

• Upvote 1

My predictions

70 Yenter vs Hammons Yenter by 6

75 Moore vs Roth Roth by 4

80 Wells vs Jacobs Wells by 7

86 Sheffer vs Cook. Sheffer by 3

92 Binder vs Siddens Binder by 6

98 Oxford vs Meyer Oxford by 9

105 Emerson vs Erdman Erdman by 2

113 Heidorf vs Smith Heidorf by 1

121 Duncan ?

130 West vs Bailey West by 6

140 Frankrone vs Oxford Frankrone by 7

152 Meiman vs Lawson Meiman fall

168 Mcintosh vs Calhoun Mcintosh fall

Unsure on the rest

WHS98- I have already said that my vote will go the winner of 105 regardless how they win. That is one of the most stacked brackets I have ever seen in Middle School. Had not 3 of the top 6 dropped from 86 then I would be saying the same thing about 86 pounds but I'm not. I feel that no 70 pounder should ever win the MOW at Middle School cause if I was a betting man I was say 75% of the 70 pounders are in 5th grade or younger. There not middle school kids. And the ones that are middle school kids will be on the podium .

I would love nothing more than to see little Grandstaff make it to the finals (other than seeing my boy in the finals, of course...different weight class, but would still be nice). Grandstaff is such a cute kid and you can tell he's been working his tail off. Best of luck to him...I'll have my fingers crossed. :D

70. Yenter vs Hammons Hammons wins by 4

75. Moore vs Roth Moore by 6

80. Ervin vs River City ? River City by 2

86. Sheffer vs ? Sheffer by 6

92. Binder wins by 7

98. Oxford vs Miles Oxford by 2

103 Erdman by 3 over Emerson

113. Smith by 4 over Heidorf

121. Duncan by fall

131. Rich by 8

140 Frankrone by 1 over Oxford

152. Ryle by fall

168. ?

190. Campbell Co. By fall

230. Young by fall.

Grandstaff / Pledger. Pledger wins by fall.

Roth / Moore. Moore by 3.

Wells / Kraezig. Wells by 2.

Sheffer / Chaffee. Sheffer by 6.

Binder / Smith. Binder wins by Fall.

Meyers /Oxford. Meyers techs.

Erdman / Kline. Erdman wins by fall.

Heidorf / Smith. Smith by 5.

Ducan / Bracher. Ducan by fall.

Rich / West. Rich by 9.

Oxford / FrankKrone. Oxford catches Tyler. Oxford by 1.

Meiman / Thome. Meiman wins by fall.

Calhoun / Macintosh. Calhoun Techs.

Graziani / Perez. G man pins.

Sherman / Priddy. Sherman wins by fall.

Love seeing binder wrestle, he's a beast. Heidorf will turn it up and win easily. By far easiest class to call is heavy. Young is a freak, i would be suprised if he is on the mat a total of 2 min. Mow with 4 pins will go to young

Honcho...like your picks except the 98lb tech of Meyers over oxford. I think this will be a battle. I think Meyer pulls it out if he can control his emotions in a close one.

Mark it down... Chaffee will be in the finals. Sheffer still wins it of coarse. I called it before he won his first one:) I think 113 is a toss up. My heart says Hudson.