Sign in to follow this  
EMS Coach Cardwell

Middle School State Duals

River City also lost a dual to North Hardin at O.C. Super Duals, score was tied but N.H. had one more win, but eventually River City moved on because Fern Creek beat N.H. making it a 3 way tie with R.C. N.H. and F.C. with R.C. having the tie breaker winning criteria.

Pool A. - Campbell Co. / Larue / McNabb

Pool B. - River City / Ryle / Woodford Co.

Pool C. - Elkhorn / North Hardin / Oldham Co.

Pool D. - Union / North Oldham / Turkeyfoot

Haven't heard about any pools yet, but wrestling the "true" second place match seems so silly to me. At the point in which this match takes place, you have one team coming off of a win, and another team coming off a gut wrenching loss in the finals none the less. Advantage 3rd place team at this point. Now those kids (who earned their way to the finals) have to turn around and wrestle a match that they won't have their heart in. Can you imagine as a spectator how anti climatic this match will be. Everyone gets fired up for the place matches, I don't see anyone firing up for a match after the finals. I've heard of doing this in other sports, but we dont see this in wrestling all year. I wonder how many Coaches who won their 3rd place match would go on and ask for the true 2nd place match, or accept the fact that their team earned 3rd that day and would not put another team through that. I think this is an issue that really needs to be addressed after the season. Just my opinion.

Good points DW. Not to mention you have already wrestled 4 duals on the day and likely ready to just get home. And why put the kids who are preparing for the state tournament through another potentially gruelling match at the end of a long day with the potential for injury.

Good points DW. Not to mention you have already wrestled 4 duals on the day and likely ready to just get home. And why put the kids who are preparing for the state tournament through another potentially gruelling match at the end of a long day with the potential for injury.

Thanks Ranger. I understand the thought process behind having the true 2nd place match, I just don't think it has a place in wrestling. Should make for a good discussion at our off season coaches meeting.

I would assume that since it is in the bylaws, we will abide by it this year. I guess it will be up to the 3rd place team this year to deside whether or not they want to wrestle for 2nd. I would say that we can fix this in the off season.

Can't wait until tomorrow, State Duals is great for the kids. Gives them a week to wrestle for something and have fun after two weeks of individual pressure and competition. I am a team sport guy, so the duals are great.

The only thing is, that the strategy is about wiinning the dual, so there tends to be more moving around of kids to fill spots and gain max points. Sometimes takes away from seeing a state tourney preview match.

Depending on the way things fall tomorrow, could see some great matchups.

Many of the weights have upwards of four or five of the State Title “Contenders”

Using Ranger’s List (Thanks Ranger)

-          80 Pounds is loaded and I think will be the most entertaining of the day. Hope no one counts out Jacobs just yet. I like his aggression in big matches.  

Wells, Krasieg, Jacobs, Ervin, Roberts

-          140 Can Anyone Challenge Frankrone? Has only been tested once this year and that was by Oxford @ Mater Dei

Frankrone, Oxford, Hayden, Cornett, Nickols

-          168 Always fun to watch the bigger kids .This one is wide open IMHO.

McIntosh, Calhoun, Anderson, Sherman

Others That Should Be Interesting

-          105 Erdman vs. Emerson if it Were to Happen. I think Logan is unbeatable, but have watched Brady find a way time and time again.

-          98 Oxford & Miles I think Oxford is the Best of the Weight Class from what I have witnessed. Good match between the two @ Mater Dei with Oxford winning by 1.  

-          86 Chaffe & Cook in Pool B. Cook is my sleeper pick for a State Title.

Cook is a big kid but someone tell me how Bindner made 92? Doesnt seem right hes huge compared to the rest of the crew, hope there doing it right or it can seriously mess him up for his future.

I guess they thought binder would have an easier time at state going 92lbs. There are many kids in that bracket that nobody seems to know about. I wouldnt be surprised if we see an upset. You never know who's going to show up. We will see who wants it more. Either way it should be a fun bracket to watch

I guess they thought binder would have an easier time at state going 92lbs. There are many kids in that bracket that nobody seems to know about. I wouldnt be surprised if we see an upset. You never know who's going to show up. We will see who wants it more. Either way it should be a fun bracket to watch

Belive Bindner wouldve had his hands full with the kids at 98 there alot bigger than him, I dont see anyone touching him at 92 Period, wont be nearly as much fun as the 105lb class, you must have a kid or know a kid in that weight class, they better be on their A game to even keep it close with him. Same as Erdman I belive he will totally dominate the weight class, he is by far the most improved middle schooler we have up here. Good Luck to all should be a fun weekend to say the least!

I agree that erdman is tough as nails. I also believe that emerson is a stud himself. It just drives me crazy when I read post saying nobody has a chance against certain kids. I have seen multiple upsets over the years. Point being is the kids in this state are really working hard and the talent is getting tougher every year. I hope we get to the point as a state where we have 30 yenter's, wiley's,binder's,ervin's,etc. I love to see the top kids battle it out. Good luck to them all

I agree that erdman is tough as nails. I also believe that emerson is a stud himself. It just drives me crazy when I read post saying nobody has a chance against certain kids. I have seen multiple upsets over the years. Point being is the kids in this state are really working hard and the talent is getting tougher every year. I hope we get to the point as a state where we have 30 yenter's, wiley's,binder's,ervin's,etc. I love to see the top kids battle it out. Good luck to them all

I agree with you on that but I believe if Bindner shows up he will Walk pretty easily as well as Erdman. As long as your on the mat you have a chance, the best must overcome all adversity and pressure and pull it out. Guess will see what happens next weekend.

Only a couple of hiccups on the day (Elkhorn's bus issue and the timing issue between the 2 gyms). Overall a great day. Coach Mitchell and the folks at John Hardin ran a great event and there was some amazing wrestling (and I didn't even get to see the CD Pool gym). KY Middle School wrestling is awesome!

Only a couple of hiccups on the day (Elkhorn's bus issue and the timing issue between the 2 gyms). Overall a great day. Coach Mitchell and the folks at John Hardin ran a great event and there was some amazing wrestling (and I didn't even get to see the CD Pool gym). KY Middle School wrestling is awesome!

Glad to read someone actually ran a good tournament.... I know many others are run well; but, it seems the only post are always negative about how long it runs, the computer, concession, this or that.....

If Ranger says it was well run event, it must have been pretty good...Hats of to Coach Mitchell and the folks at John Hardin.

After last weeks regionals this week was what we needed. We are new to wrestling but were very pleased how the tournament for teams was ran. We were also very impressed with the school, it was a beautiful school with quite a few architectural designs built into it. Overall a good time and even better time afterwards when we met up to have dinner and celebrate the day.

• Upvote 1

1st Campbell Co. 2nd River City 3rd North Hardin 4th North Oldham. I'm actually glad they wrestled back for second. Campbell and River City were absolutely the two best teams there and had an awesome dual in the semis. I know Union and North Oldham also had a great dual that came down to the last match, alot of people there were suprised when N.O. won, just shows you better not look past no one. Great tournament, well ran.

• Upvote 1