Sign in to follow this  
Wildblueeyes

2012 State Tournament

I heard we were holding them in Ohio this year

They looked at that because Ohio had more space than the Civic Center, but decided people anywhere south of Ryle would complain about the drive. I heard this year each team is going to hold its own state tournament, and everybody gets a ribbon. :D

They looked at that because Ohio had more space than the Civic Center, but decided people anywhere south of Ryle would complain about the drive. I heard this year each team is going to hold its own state tournament, and everybody gets a ribbon. :D

Isn't that the system we use for youth?

All kidding aside, this was in the Lexington paper today. Sad to see a move from Frankfort to a place that won't be half full. I also heard that it will be a two day event if it moves. The article is about the soccer championship, but the fourth paragraph memtions the wrestling tournament.

Wrestling Tournament Moving

All kidding aside, this was in the Lexington paper today. Sad to see a move from Frankfort to a place that won't be half full. I also heard that it will be a two day event if it moves. The article is about the soccer championship, but the fourth paragraph memtions the wrestling tournament.

Wrestling Tournament Moving

Just interested in why you would say the place would be half full and turn into a two day event? Looking at the specs. of both places, and they have the same amount of seating and the horse park could probably hold three times as many mats so shouldnt that cut the amount of time needed in half instead of extend it?

I mean is it possible for them to complete in one day since it seems like it might accomodate 3x as many mats. The convention lists at 10,000 sq. ft. horse park lists at 135' x 300' which would be about 40,000 sq. ft. Sorry if I misworded it, my sons still in middle school so I've only been to the convention center once for a youth tourney. Next year he will be in high school so I'm just soaking up info as time goes on, thanks for staightening that out because I think this sight is a great informational resource.

• Upvote 2

The high school state tourney could not be completed in one day.

The "5" match rule will not allow it.

However a 2 day tourney is much more feasable and probably more likely.

• Upvote 1

Guess i'll weigh in on this too:

1) while I would personally LOVE to see the State Tournament back down to 2 days, I cannot see this happening. For one reason the KHSAA makes more money with it being a 3-day tournamnet. The other reason being I know of a few wrestlers (better wrestlers mind you who are consistantly ranked top 5) who want it to stay a 3 day event. I think we could keep it a 3 day event, just do what the NCAA does: SPREAD OUT THE SESSIONS! Thursday would be one big session, make friday 2 sessions (with a break between sessions. Just clear the arena and give the ref's a break!!), and Saturday 2 sessions.

2) Like grappler of old said, we can NEVER go to a one day tournament because of the 5 match rule.

3) most mats we will get in the arena is probably 6. KHSAA has to pay for the official's hotel and gas mileage, PLUS their pay for officiating. That adds up if you sit down and caculate that one of the better officials we have at State comes from West Virgina to officiate the tournament. Remember: you will have 2x as many officials as you have mats. So if we put 6 mats down, we will have 12 officials. I just can't see the KHSAA being able to afford more officials unless you teh fans are willing ot pay more to get in. sorry abotu your luck.

• Upvote 2

dscicle;

Those wrestlers you speak of have never had a 2 day state tourney, and kids always like to spend more days out of school. The state tourney was a 2 day tourney for over 20 years (and two years a one day tourney). When they wanted to go to 3 days the "higher ranked wrestlers" at that time did not want a 3 day tourney. (3 days of making wt.)

As for KHSAA making more money on a three day event: This is probably true, however KDE (the schools) lose money with having one more day for hotel fees and food allownces, and paying substitutes for the coaches that teach.

I'm sure that all of this has been taken into consideration by the powers that be.

PS> I believe I heard somewhere where KDE wanted it reduced to 2 days because it will be one day less out of school.

i feel like the reason a 3 day tournament is better suited to wrestlers is because they have enough time to rest and regain strength after tough matches.

The most matches that a wrestler can have is 8. That is if they lose in the 1st or 2nd round in the championship bracket and place top 6.

With more mats it is more than possible to have 3 rounds on Friday if you start early in the morning.

As for the tough matches most of those occur in the championship round and if you stay in the championship round you will not wrestle as many matches.

• Upvote 2

The KHSAA made it "official" today, sending out an email saying State has been moved to the Horse Park. It's also being held over two days, Feb. 17-18, instead of three. No word on how many mats they'll use Friday.

• Upvote 1

Not true at all. You less then 10 mins away from new circle rd in Lexington, which has many places. And also less then 10 min from anywhere in Georgetown. I believe with the 2 options, it will actually give us more places to eat and less over crowding then we seen in Frankfort.

I'm talking within walking distance so you could run out to get something without missing much action. I can think of 7 or 8 places within 2 blocks in Frankfort. Any place in Lexington or Georgetown is a pretty good drive. Yes, more to choose from, but further away.

Are there any hotels in walking distance? I know they were going to build one on site, but I don't recall if it was completed.

There are not seven or eight places within two blocks of the Civic Center. There's maybe one restaurant downtown, and it's a very small place (IIRC).

Also, there is no hotel within walking distance -- especially considering the arena is on the backside of the Horse Park.

Wow I have been to every state tourney in Frankfort (and every one since 1982 with the exception of the place in the hotel I have never walked anywhere nearby to eat. I have always went up 127 to eat.

No hotel I believe, but they have r.v. camping. Maybe teams could camp for the weekend....lol its a give and take I guess. Hopefully the good will outweigh the bad. We will just have to wait and see

Josh,

Buddys Pizza

Gibbys

Rebecca Ruth Cafe

Mary Ann's

Another place on St. Clair that I can't think of the name

The Cheesery

Plaza Hotel restaurant

Sarafini's

All about two blocks away (across Clinton Street) from the civic center

Next time you may want to check with a local

never heard of any of those places. They don't sound like very nice sit down family places to eat.

Most prefere francise type resteraunts with a familiy oriented atmosphere.

Oh well we don't have to worry about that any more (YAAAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOO) :D