Sign in to follow this  
Crizzle

Up and Coming Programs

Does anyone have any inside scoop on up-and-coming programs in the state? It is nice to see good coaches go to places, build a team (much like we saw with a few wrestlers from Walton-Verona), and see the sport grow. I reside in Region 2, and am just curious if anyone in other areas of the state has any scoop on other parts of the state.

I don't know if you'd classify them as "up and coming" or just getting back to where they have been in the past, but it looks like St X is a team to watch out for in the near future. I'd say sooner than people think.

I would agree St. X will be a force in the next couple of years. Not just one but TWO Lampe's in the pipeworks, young talent like Hunter French, and a Middle School team that I was told placed 3'rd overall (But ive been wrong before). Not to mention genuinely just a bunch of standup guys! If your reading this congrats coach K. on the team sportsmanship award.

Franklin County has no seniors, and only 1 junior this year. 3 sophomores placed at state. The sophomores and freshmen have been wrestling since 5th grade. The middle school program has placed first in regionals two years in a row and had a state champ at 71 lbs this year. The coaches are young and very dedicated.

Watch for moore in a couple of years, we had 3 people a match away from placing in state, one a first year and the other a second year. we also had 4 middle school state placers and a few other people win a couple of matches at high school state. And under the coaching staff we have you can expect some success in a few years.

For a program that was started within the last 3 years I believe Meade County has done a great job. Their boys wrestle to win the whole match, are in shape and obviously know where the weight room is. With a couple more years for them to work on their technique, which takes the longest time to get especially with a new program, and they'll be a contender.

The two teams that look to me to be ready to make huge leaps ahead are Moore and North Oldham. Based on the youth in their high school team and the good middle school kids I have seen, I think both of these programs could make some major strides in the next couple of years.

For a program that was started within the last 3 years I believe Meade County has done a great job. Their boys wrestle to win the whole match, are in shape and obviously know where the weight room is. With a couple more years for them to work on their technique, which takes the longest time to get especially with a new program, and they'll be a contender."

I didn't realize Meade county had only had a wrestling program for three years. If that's true they are doing great. Congratulations to them for making angreat showing at State.

Walton Verona is in an outstanding spot for being just a 2nd year program. Meade County as it has been said is looking to potentially become a dominant power and may even overtake PRP as the best Region 3 school. Christian County is sitting in a good spot not graduating any placers and that school consistently brings in good atheletes.

This was Meade County's 5th year as a wrestling program. Their 1st year was 06-07. Still, Coach Davis has done a really nice job bringing that program along in such a short period of time. They have all the ingredients to continue to be successful, i.e. great administrative support (Assistant principal Scott Bogard was a wrestling coach @ Waggener so that helps), great community support, tremendous parental involvement, youth program, etc. Southern is still a little ahead of them in Region 3, but the gap between the two is very minimal now.

Dragon is correct. Southern has held a firm grasp on Region 3 for three years now, with Meade County hanging around 2nd and PRP 3rd. Fairdale has made some nice strides as well, and Coomes (formerly at Eastern in Louisville) is now helping coach wrestling at Western. Bullitt East has tons of support and numbers, and the Doss program continues to grow. Too bad Region 3, as well as other Louisville regions will likely look a lot different next season...

I agree meade has done a great job, great job to them. A team that kinda suprised me this yr with a few good kids was danville. After being down for a few yrs they had a few kids place, 3 I think. Hope they keep up the good work. Also another team I see coming up along way is western hills. They had come along way the last few yrs, hopefully they too will keep getting better