Sign in to follow this  
three

2 lbs

Do the kids still have to make the scratch weight first to get the 2lbs? I know the middle schools did away with it, didn't know if high school did too.

you don't have to make scratch wt. but you must make wt. once before a certain date.  I'm not sure what that date is.  You can not make wt. the 1st time at regions.

Therefore:  If you are wrestling 103 and you don't make wt until Jan 10 (Which means the wt. class is now 105) and you weigh 105 then you are eligible for Regions at 105 (if you decent plan allows you to on the date of region.)

As clear as mud right? :-D

You do have to make weight once before Jan. 29th (date of State Duals) to be eligible for that weight at the regional tournament. As grappler-of-old stated your weight loss decent plan must allow you to make that specific weight.

You do have to make weight once before Jan. 29th (date of State Duals) to be eligible for that weight at the regional tournament. As grappler-of-old stated your weight loss decent plan must allow you to make that specific weight.

Ya cause when State Duals got cancelled was what messed us up. Cause he was gonna be at 135 for weigh-ins

This discussion has turned into a look at weight class certification, which is a little more involved than simply making a weight by a certain date.  A wrestler has to have five events at a weight to certify at that weight.  A weigh-in is an event and a match is an event, so a weigh-in at a tournament prior to the region tournament and four matches would certify that wrestler in that weight class.  Further, two weigh-ins and three matches would meet the five event rule.  Once a wrestler certifies, he can only go up one weight class.  If he wrestles above that second weight class, he loses his certification at the original weight.  Honestly, I'm not sure if these rules are enforced or not, but nonetheless these are the rules.  It became an issue for us last year, also because of a tournament canceled during the last weekend of January, so I went to great lengths to understand the rule.  If anyone can shed more light, feel free... 

Guest cmccoy

A wrestler does not have to weigh in at a certain weight or wrestle there 5 times. A wrestler is only eligible for regional competition if he has a combination of four weigh-ins/matches. Does not matter what weight.

? Doesn't hardly seem fair to the kid who won his 1st wrestle-off or someone just returning from a injury if they don't qualify for regions because they don't have the matches/weigh-ins. I guess you coaches will have to start weighing guys in even if they don't compete.

? Doesn't hardly seem fair to the kid who won his 1st wrestle-off or someone just returning from a injury if they don't qualify for regions because they don't have the matches/weigh-ins. I guess you coaches will have to start weighing guys in even if they don't compete.

That is exactly what you do.  Have the kid weigh in.  He doesn't have to compete, just step on the scale.  That becomes very important as we have seen the last couple years when that final weekend of competition is cancelled due to weather.  Make the weight early rather than waiting until the end of January.

What if a kids decent plan says he can get to 126?  After the two pounds he can make 127, but would never be able to make scratch legally at 125... 

Would he be able to wrestle in the region and state tourney at 125(7) or would the lowest he could go be 130?

Of course the regional tourney would not be his first match at that weight class...

What if a kids decent plan says he can get to 126?  After the two pounds he can make 127, but would never be able to make scratch legally at 125... 

Would he be able to wrestle in the region and state tourney at 125(7) or would the lowest he could go be 130?

Of course the regional tourney would not be his first match at that weight class...

The descent plan tells you the lowest weight he can go.  You don't have to make scratch weight.  After the 2 lb allowance, the 125 lb weight class becomes 127, so he would be able to wrestle at 127 without ever making 125.

The descent plan tells you the lowest weight he can go.  You don't have to make scratch weight.  After the 2 lb allowance, the 125 lb weight class becomes 127, so he would be able to wrestle at 127 without ever making 125.

And I will add be eligible to compete in the post season at 127 (as long as he made 127 by the weekend of state duals and didn't mess up his descent plan with a heavy weigh-in).

Yeah, that's what I do.  I have my wrestlers weigh-in and I've even let some of them go out and take forfeits as well to help with the 4 matches/weigh-ins.