Sign in to follow this  
dragon

Middle State Surpises or Shockers

I agree that shouldn't be where the officials learn, but they have to get some experience with the long, pressure filled days at an important event.  I was an official myself and did a number tournaments, but when I did the HS region it was a different experience.  I knew it was important and the coaches put a lot more pressure on the officials.

I think the woman and the skinny ref who wears glasses were the best two that were there.  I didn't like the one ref who left his shirt untucked the whole time.  Does that affect his calls?  No, but it looks terribly unprofessional. 

Guys this sport is like all others,  there will be bad calls along with good calls.  So you have to take the good with the bad.  My son (Belk) had a horrible day.  Wrestled with a compound fracture in his hand,  had a couple of bad calls. But in the end he is healthy, besides his right hand, and we all live to fight another day.  Ref's learn from there mistakes, like we all do.  We will see you all next year...  Thank goodness Jon(Belk) is just a 7th grader.  See you all at camp this summer.

the semi final match between clark and frankrone definetly had some questionable calls at the end.. Clark wasnt awarded 2 nearfall points that would have won him the match.. not to mention that the kid repeatedly ran to the out of bounds line and was never hit for fleeing or stalling..which was pretty much the sum of the finals match too..    It seemed to me that some of the refs were really good and a couple of them could use some practice..

so which ones were the better ones. and what is the big deal about the shirt not being tucked in kindof hard keep it in when you are sliding around on the mat and up and down all the time. Ive heard different stories about them Ive heard the woman was good and I also have heard  she wasn't

the semi final match between clark and frankrone definetly had some questionable calls at the end.. Clark wasnt awarded 2 nearfall points that would have won him the match.. not to mention that the kid repeatedly ran to the out of bounds line and was never hit for fleeing or stalling..which was pretty much the sum of the finals match too..    It seemed to me that some of the refs were really good and a couple of them could use some practice..

Mufasa, you sound pretty certain that Tyler Frankrone didn't honestly win the State Title! If you think he was running for out-of-bounds for his last 2 matches, your crazy! LOL! There was nothing questionable about either one of his last 2 wins! Watch the video and maybe recant your statement!

Man here we go again.

Every time we have a significant event everyone rips on the officials.

Hey everyone had the same official.  He made the same bad or good calls against everyone.  As I tell Jr.  If one call makes difference in a match then maybe you don't deserve the win. 

You think its bad when your in the stands and you think you see a bad call.  Try coaching in the corner of your son's match and see some calls you think are bad. 

In the corner you have the ability to question the official. Several times I have had to bite my tongue. 

I will have to agree with Ranger however on the middle school coaches.  The 2 years I spent with Jr. sitting in his corner and at middle school events I was embarrassed.  Not just from opposing coaches but our coach at times also.

Middle school coaches and parents are out of control.  I don't blame an official if he does not want to officiate middle school events. I know I wouldn't want to.  I would probably be the most hated ref out there.  Many coaches and parents would lose team points and be ejected.

Buckman at 131...he got 2nd but they said it was only his 2nd year wrestling.  The 150 Champ Smith also surprised me.  I was more surprised by the pick for MOW.

buckman wrestles 140 i got second at state for 131 and i am a second year wrestler what do you guys think about my state finals match

Buckman at 131...he got 2nd but they said it was only his 2nd year wrestling.  The 150 Champ Smith also surprised me.  I was more surprised by the pick for MOW.

Surprised by the Mow pick?  Frankrone is a freakin 6th grader, and he wrestled his butt off, beating a kid in the finals that wrestled high school all yr, and did well I might add in the high school state finals.. I think he placed 4th.(talking about Rush)

Frankrone is also wrestling up a little, he could have wrestled at 103, but took one for his team and got the job done.

He beat my son, and I still think he deserves the MOW.

Good job  Tyler            keep up the hard work, you have the stuff to be a national champion, I have noudoubt.

now, for starters, i'll admit i've only just recently found this website (3 months ago) but i've noticed a huge trend. none of you have a clue!!!!! what i feel the biggest surprise or shocker was @ 131. everyone had cox, or henning, or metts picked to win and neither of these boys even made it to the finals. schoerer and matthews had what i would say was the match of the day, a rematch of district 3 regional finals. matthews was down 6-4 with 40 sec. left in the 3rd period. matthews won 11-9. there was only 1 match that was closer. not bad for two boys (schoerer is a 2nd year, matthews is a 3rd year) who weren't even considered to be contenders. it seems to me that most of you are here to promote your district and your district only. district 3 had more first year wrestlers qualify for the state tournament than any other district (five of which were from campbell county). granted, none of them placed in the top 4, but none of them went 2 and out either. it really shows that absolutely no real thought is put into most of the posts on this web page. and the worst part of all is that our children get on here and read these posts and take them as fact. no wonder we have kids that never reach their full wrestling potential. they work hard everyday in practice, do well in competition, then come on this page and everyone is still talking about the same, overrated wrestlers every week. i don't post on here much, but i'll admit, i don't know much about the wrestlers in other districts. i only see them if they happen to compete at the same meets we do. so, i feel my OPINION is a bit jaded. just the same as a lot of the posts i read, jaded OPINIONS!!!!! so, next time you post, please remember that our kids read the posts on this page.

now, for starters, i'll admit i've only just recently found this website (3 months ago) but i've noticed a huge trend. none of you have a clue!!!!! what i feel the biggest surprise or shocker was @ 131. everyone had cox, or henning, or metts picked to win and neither of these boys even made it to the finals. schoerer and matthews had what i would say was the match of the day, a rematch of district 3 regional finals. matthews was down 6-4 with 40 sec. left in the 3rd period. matthews won 11-9. there was only 1 match that was closer. not bad for two boys (schoerer is a 2nd year, matthews is a 3rd year) who weren't even considered to be contenders. it seems to me that most of you are here to promote your district and your district only. district 3 had more first year wrestlers qualify for the state tournament than any other district (five of which were from campbell county). granted, none of them placed in the top 4, but none of them went 2 and out either. it really shows that absolutely no real thought is put into most of the posts on this web page. and the worst part of all is that our children get on here and read these posts and take them as fact. no wonder we have kids that never reach their full wrestling potential. they work hard everyday in practice, do well in competition, then come on this page and everyone is still talking about the same, overrated wrestlers every week. i don't post on here much, but i'll admit, i don't know much about the wrestlers in other districts. i only see them if they happen to compete at the same meets we do. so, i feel my OPINION is a bit jaded. just the same as a lot of the posts i read, jaded OPINIONS!!!!! so, next time you post, please remember that our kids read the posts on this page.

superdave, if your kids arent reaching there full potential at wrestling because someone posted that another kid was really good , then you have bigger problems than stupid posts. it is the parents job to help a kid reach there full potential and to teach them to believe in themselves no matter what others may say about them or there opponent. if your child gets on here and falls to pieces because everyone is talking about how good other kids are then you may need to seek some counseling for your child and yourself.

Mr Kettle meet Mr. Black.

buckman wrestles 140 i got second at state for 131 and i am a second year wrestler what do you guys think about my state finals match

Dru-  Your match was awesome!  You were so close to reaching your goal.  You are a champion in my book and don't let one match let you think any different.  That match will only help you get better and give to a reason to want more.  You're a special kid and you have the tools to do all there is in wrestling.  I do have to apologize to you as your coach.  I should have been able to prepare you better for the last 30 seconds.  That is my fault.

I wish I had 14 more kids like you.  You are the hardest working kid I have ever seen.  Keep learning and surprising everyone.  Not bad for a 2nd year kid who dropped from 150 last year to 131 this year.  That is hard work, big man.

Coach Eschan 

My MOW is probably trae blackwell. He wrestled amazing at state and completely destroyed wrestlers who are very talented. The only time he even had a close match was in the championship vs Shirkey from east oldham. So thats just my opinion on the most outstanding wrestler

Hey I'll throw a couple of more in there:

Emerson at 82 which I thought was the most balanced weight class in the tournament. Not only won but won by pin, 9-2, 10-0 and 12-7 in finals against an opponent I didn't think he had a chance to beat. Brought it all that day at the right time.

103 - Justin Lampe rolled through to the finals where he defeated one of the best wrestlers this year in the state in Ian Kahl.

117 - Matt Fahy went about his business as he has every year winning all the way through against quality opponents.

Hvy - Crockett Cosby - Weight class not as stacked as in previous years but what more can a kid do - pin, pin. maj dec 14-0 and a pin in the finals. Talk about total domination of a weight class.

This is just a few examples in addition to the ones already listed.  All quality wrestlers and any of them were deserving of the MOW. This day just belonged to Frankrone and he was as deserving as anyone.

superdave, if your kids arent reaching there full potential at wrestling because someone posted that another kid was really good , then you have bigger problems than stupid posts. it is the parents job to help a kid reach there full potential and to teach them to believe in themselves no matter what others may say about them or there opponent. if your child gets on here and falls to pieces because everyone is talking about how good other kids are then you may need to seek some counseling for your child and yourself.

floridafan, as for reaching full potential, my son took first place. he also finished the season with an overall record of 36-4. his team took the school team championship (3rd overall) with 5 first year wrestlers. yet, i never once read a post on this page even mentioning anything about him or his team. when i said we have kids not reaching their full potential, i did not necessarily mean my son or any of the kids on his team. i meant in general. and i totally agree with parents teaching their kids to reach their full potential and to believe in themselves no matter what others say. but as an adult, i know that sometimes it does not matter how hard we try to teach these things. our children have minds of their own and don't always form the best opinions of themselves, or others, no matter what you try to teach them. especially at this age. believe it or not, our kids are influenced more by their friends and classmates' opinions than anything we could ever say or do. if enough people call a duck a swan, eventually it becomes harder for them not to believe it. and as for saying that my child and i may need counseling, you just proved my point about not having a clue. the whole attitude of "it's not my fault they feel that way" is so unbelievably narrow-minded it almost makes me chuckle. the point i was simply trying to make was to remind everyone posting here that not only other adults read this page. obviously, you did not get the point.

wow, did that take you all day to come up with. another example of not getting the point.

Your failure to communicate properly reflects the flawed logic of your post. Talk about not getting the point.

Your failure to communicate properly reflects the flawed logic of your post. Talk about not getting the point.

mr. kettle meet mr. black? isn't the quote "the pot calling the kettle black"? not the kettle calling whatever black. failure to communicate? sounds to me like all you want to do is argue.

mr. kettle meet mr. black? isn't the quote "the pot calling the kettle black"? not the kettle calling whatever black. failure to communicate? sounds to me like all you want to do is argue.

Sorry but it seems that tiltfor3 was making reference to a saying that has been around for many years.  Obviously he didn't quote it exactly but I, and it seems you, know what he was talking about.  This use of using sayings actually happens a lot.  In fact it happened on March 10.  :-D

"floridafan, as for reaching full potential, my son took first place. he also finished the season with an overall record of 36-4. his team took the school team championship (3rd overall) with 5 first year wrestlers."

Actually Campbell took 4th overall...but what's the difference.