Sign in to follow this  
oldwrestler81

Toughest Region to qualify from

It's a snow day and I have too much time on my hands.  Lets hear opinions on which regions are the hardest to qualify from as well as which ones are the easiest.  (In Ohio it would be the one at Mentor)

I think rangers rankings are a pretty good thing to go by. 6,7, and 8 are by far the hardest just because of the size and the number of quality teams in each region. The regions could sure use some teams to be moved around, but there are always people who wanna drag there feet. sometimes even though it may not be the best thing for your team, its best for the sport.

I'd say region 1 is one of the hardest to qualify for if your 152 or below and probly the easiest if youre above that. Asa Odoms the 103 from christian county has had a great year beating several ranked opponents and didn't qualify, as well as brent feher 130 and zach mitchell 145 from apollo feher has qualified several times before and mitchell is very strong and athletic and has wrestled for several years both failed to qualify. on the other hand the heavier weights as a whole (with a few exceptions) are extremely weak.

region 1-11

region 2-9

region 3-11

region 4-8

region 5-7

region 6-12

region 7-12

region 8-11

region 1 does have 12 i'm not sure where you got your info from, but trigg county just added a team this year that's probly why you thought 11 i don't see why they don't switch a few teams from region 1 to2, 3 to 4, and 6 to 5 to even it out.

that was from khsaa website, they must not had it updated, i just counted what was there. Sorry

There's nothing to really be sorry about.  Your information is only as good as your source and obviously the khsaa isn't a very good source, lol.  In Region 3 the teams are Southern, Meade Co., PRP, Fairdale, Doss, Shawnee, Western, Holy Cross, DeSales, Bullitt Central, Bullitt East, Iroquois & Valley.

I think it's GOO or Ranger who has some in depth stats on the number of state placers / champions from each region in the past decade.

I think realignment of the Regions is a necessity (the number of teams in each region needs to be evened out across the board). For the most part, the Louisville regions have the easiest road to qualify for the state tournament (based on number of participants in each weight class).  They should condense the three Louisville regions into two regions and create a new Region with some of the other teams from regions that have 12+ teams.

region four has the toughest region. We have st.x and trinity which have returning state champs and every they have are recruitred because they got the money to do it...lol

There were three weight classes in region 5 with 4 wrestlers. You literally just had to make weight at regions. HWT, 171 and some other weight class. I cant remember. It doesn't mean as much for us and I don't really like it.  It definately needs to be changed. This is unfair.

There were three weight classes in region 5 with 4 wrestlers. You literally just had to make weight at regions. HWT, 171 and some other weight class. I cant remember. It doesn't mean as much for us and I don't really like it.  It definately needs to be changed. This is unfair.

I agree -- the regions should be realigned. Everyone should have to wrestle for their spot -- not just make weight. It also isn't right that the tough regioins have wrestlers who don't make it, who could most likely beat the guys from Region 5 who do get in.

I agree -- the regions should be realigned. Everyone should have to wrestle for their spot -- not just make weight. It also isn't right that the tough regioins have wrestlers who don't make it, who could most likely beat the guys from Region 5 who do get in.

Or you could just go back to a 16 man bracket and combine the regions.

Look, I'm not from Northern Kentucky.  But we have this discussion every year.  Union County or Woodford County or Trinity may sneak in with enough champions to win the state tournament, but overall there is no question that it is more difficult to get through the Northern Kentucky regional to state.  That region almost always has more state placers than any other region.  No question.

Look, I'm not from Northern Kentucky.  But we have this discussion every year.  Union County or Woodford County or Trinity may sneak in with enough champions to win the state tournament, but overall there is no question that it is more difficult to get through the Northern Kentucky regional to state.  That region almost always has more state placers than any other region.  No question.

I agree with this.  In general Region 6 is the toughest in regards to depth.  Region 7 has been the toughest historically in terms of winning because of Woodford but overall Region 6 takes the cake almost every year, although they're not heads and shoulders above everyone else.