Sign in to follow this  
CERON

Trinity, Woodford Co., Ryle, Union Co., Mark Hall etc.

So grapplesack your saying as a parents we have to choose between academics and morals or sports.I posed a simple question about why there are different rules for middleschoolers based on the highschool they plan to attend and you not only get personal you get off topic.I have said nothing negative about Mark Hall only the fact that his parents or parent proclaimed openly he is here because of our states rules that allow him to be and he will leave when it no longer benefits him to be here,he said this to me personally so it is not hear say.I am trying to bring attention to an old rule that has become useless and the Halls use of the rule I think makes my point more clear.This rule will not affect my family much longer because my youngest wrestler is an 8th grader next year but it does not make it any more justified because I am not personally affected.Mark Hall doesnt affect me now, none of my sons are near his weight class but this rule has affected all my sons when they are middleschoolers.We did choose the private schools regardless of the rule and we do accept the medals we earn but this is a discussion board and good place to give an opinion in an adult and civil manor .Everyone says lets help ky wrestling grow as a sport, I say giving every middleschooler the same opportunity is a way to start.

Workhard, where did I get personal? You read what you want to read. Does the word "catholic" denote some personal attack. My statements were factual. Your son along with every other child in Ky has an opportunity to wrestle varsity as a 7th grader. Your beef is with the catholic school not KHSAA. Your morals are of no concern of mine nor is your choice of schools. However, your junior is not being treated unfairly because you choose to send him to a private school. If you want junior to wrestle as a 7th grader, go to a public school.  Now that he is attending ST X his morals will be in the place you choose but his wrestling skills will not be on a varsity mat til he's a freshman.

Where did Isaac Knable?? spelling?? live when he wrestled for St X and was a 4 time Ky state champ? My understanding, he lived in Indiana, crossed the river daily and attended St X.  Is that true?

Mark Hall is a stud! He could possibly be the very best wrestler ever produced in the United States. Time will tell. If so, I'm glad he will be a product of our state. I hope he's a 6 times state champ.

I don't like the right and left facial blow holes people spew hipocracy from.  We allow the catholics in Louisville to recruit all over. Look at the Jolly Greens.  Most wrestlers transferred from Fern Creek and yet Trinity is viewed as a great program. No! There are loop holes which allow kids to operate within the boundaries of the KHSAA rules. Trinity and St X exploit these loopholes to the max.  And yet parents who luxuriously enjoy certain KHSAA loopholes which allow their children to travel many miles to attend the catholic school then bellyache about the cathoic schools who don't allow their junior to wrestle. It's a joke to me.

I don't care if Ky becomes a breeding ground for every US pediatric wrestling stud to enter, wrestle, beat up on our very best, become a state champ and then leave. If Kentuckians don't like it, then change the KHSAA rules.  Beleive it or not, we do live in a democracy and if people choose, they can lobby to have rules changed.  For crying out loud, this country wanted change and voted in Obama! lol

We allow the catholics in Louisville to recruit all over. Look at the Jolly Greens.  Most wrestlers transferred from Fern Creek and yet Trinity is viewed as a great program.

I wondered when someone was going to bring this up...not taking anything away from Coach Brown or those boys.  Just a interesting point.

if the kid wrestled for a public school in the 7th & 8th grade, and then transferred to a private school he would be penalized by the khsaa by losing 1 year of eligibility.  it's really not too difficult to understand.  try reading slower.

Grapplesack you make my points pefectly for me.First you ask should people feel sorry for me because of my school choices and imply that my comments about a poor rule is whining.I never asked for anyones pity nor am I whining about Mark Hall he is here and he also tried to go to trinity 1rst but was told they could not let him wrestle for their team.The young men who left the ferncreek middleschool program and went to the trinity middleschool program did so because of the bond they had to their coach and his children who were going to trinity.They first went as middleschoolers and stayed there for highschool they were not recruited by trinity pryor to their coach going there I know this and them well because my sons started wrestling at ferncreek with them and their coach.The Knable comment I was told his parents sent him to stx because the Indiana school he would have attended did not meet the standards they wanted.Recruiting in the louisville area is not the issue it was because students can apply to any school in louisville area regardless of where they live so now public school coaches are not limited to geographical boundries either.That is why I dont understand the middleschool rule seperating private ,magnet,or public the recruiting playing feild has been leveled a great deal .

pioneer prideless I read it slowly and you still don't make any sense. The 7th and 8th kids wrestling for a public school and wrestling varsity are under the jurisdiction of KHSAA rules. No one is being treated unfairly. If they participate in any varsity sport then they can't transfer without sitting out for a season.  Why don't you ask St X and Trinity to change their rules. Problem would be solved.

How ironic workhard. You give some lame excuse about a school not meeting parent's expectations for a kid to live in Indiana and participate in a Ky catholic school, St X, and win state 4 times. Loophole. It's not fair. What a joke! What a joke!

Does anyone else appreciate the irony of an Indiana resident crossing the river daily and winning state in Ky 4 times.  At least Hall lives in a tent in Ky. lol. 

pioneer pride I have a hard time even answering your reply.  KHSAA is not penalizing any child. The individual school is not allowing kids to wrestle, not KHSAA. 

Actually, I think it is the KHSAA that prohibits the middle school students from competing for the catholic/private high schools.  Since these schools may not meet the definition of  "feeder" schools or governed by the same board of education they don't meet the provisions of the bylaws.  I don't think the school has any discretion here.

Why is it that the Catholic schools in Louisville can't have middle schoolers wrestle on there team. If they are consolidated as Owensboro Catholic is then they would be able to wrestle for them. Owensboro Catholic has middle school basketball players,track and golfers that are in Owensboro Catholic middle school playing for Owensboro Catholic High School. Like i said the catholic schools are consolidated so they are aloud to play for there high school team. Maybe that is what the Catholic schools in Louisville need to do.

Why is it that the Catholic schools in Louisville can't have middle schoolers wrestle on there team. If they are consolidated as Owensboro Catholic is then they would be able to wrestle for them. Owensboro Catholic has middle school basketball players,track and golfers that are in Owensboro Catholic middle school playing for Owensboro Catholic High School. Like i said the catholic schools are consolidated so they are aloud to play for there high school team. Maybe that is what the Catholic schools in Louisville need to do.

I believe the distinction in your example is that those schools (the Owensboro Middle and High) are under the same Board of Education.  I am not familiar with those schools and I am not making the statement that they are goverened by the same board, I am just pointing out that the KHSAA bylaws do allow this.  (Just my interpretation)

I had the mother of a girl who played ball for Notre Dame in my office this morning.  She mentioned to me that tuition paying parents would be very upset if their daughter or son was not playing because a non paying 7th or 8th grader from elsewhere who planned on attending down the road took her/his spot.

First of all you speak of things that you view from a distance and I just so happen to have detailed knowledge of.I told you what I was told by knable himself and you insinuate it is untrue, just because you dont like the answer doesnt make it false.He was a 4 timer because he started wrestling in the 2nd grade he was at stx because his parents wanted him at a good school sorry the truth isnt as exciting as recruiting across state lines story.Myron wrestled for ferncreek middleschool and went to trinity middleschool the first year it was started and stayed at trinity high with his middleschool teammates sorry thats not as exciting as trinity recruiting in e-town but its true.The fact that rivercity wrestlers,trinity middleschool wrestlers,and now middleschoolers who plan on attending magnet schools cant compete at a highschool because of state regulations is also a fact.I was told by the coach at st.x the A D said middleschoolers couldnt even practice with highschoolers for fear of being hit with recruiting violations.Obviously the public schools dont have to worry about such things. All I am pointing out is there really isnt much difference between the public schools and the private schools ability to go after atheletes as there use to be so cant we revisit this rule and make it the same for all middleschoolers.

Well at least we have some interesting information.

Knable lived in Indiana and attended a Ky catholic school, ST. X. 4 time state champ. While living in Indiana he commuted to Kentucky and wrestled! I am personally touched by his parents choosing St X for it's moral standard or whatever reason they choose to leave their home state of Indiana.

Myron lives 60 miles away and travels to Trinity daily to wrestle. State champ.

What exactly is the problem with Hall living in Ryle's district and wrestling for Ryle?

Good thing Hall didn't wrestle for Trinity otherwise Myron may have been JV.

I have little sympathy for the catholic middle schoolers not being able to wrestle. These schools have used and abused the rules to the point of total disgust.

I would like to see a day when a 6A public school, who only has football players who live within their districts, can compete with the several thousand St X and Trinity boys team who recruit throughout the entire Louisville area and even into Indiana. My heart will not bleed for the the rare isolated time when a middle schooler falls on the short end of a loop hole school.

Well even though I knew it was pointless to prove these individuals were not recruited by the schools they attended I am glad I did because you made it clear you have a personal issue with catholic schools.It is very sad your dislike of these programs hardens your heart so much you dont care about doing what is best for all children that is sad .

A lot of people have explained that their problems are NOT with Mark Hall. They are ALL saying it brings forward the point that there are many true KY athletes who are barred from wrestling varsity as middle schoolers merely because they wrestle for a certain feeder program. The motivation for the middle schooler being at such a program may be because the parents like the coaching or it is convenient or whatever. It's apparent that Grapplesack has a huge problem with private schools and keeps dissing the "catholics" who he erroneously blames for these types of rules- it's the KHSAA. It seems there should be a HUGE problem in Jefferson County because the schools are FREE and the kids can go to ANY ONE OF THEM as long as logistics for race and whatever are met. If my kid wants to go to Jeffersontown, he doesn't have to live in Jeffersontown. If he wants to go to Ballard, he could live 40 miles across town. So how is this any different than choosing to go to St. X, Trinity, or DeSales or whatever? AND, you keep picking on that Lampe guy. His son goes to St. X for the academic opportunities; he wasn't recruited to wrestle, and if it's all about wrestling, why wouldn't he have gone to Trinity? So grapplesack's whole argument is stupid because all 100,000 students or whatever in Jefferson County's public schools can pick wherever they want to go to school.  You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Oh please. This is not about public and private. It's about a spoiled parent who gets on here and types he is "irritated" by the Hall situation.  Workhard stated he was "irritated"! I am only pointing out the duplicity of his comments. If you can't understand that point then lock yourself out.

I have nothing against the catholics. In fact, I may even be a catholic. Or at least I know I have a catholic in my family tree somewhere? I am "irritated" a St X parent complains about Hall living in Ryle's district and wrestles when St X allowed a kid who lived in another state to cross the river daily and wrestle for ST. X. Of course, they paid tuition!

Was the St. X parent "irritated" when the Indiana resident took 4 gold medals from Kentucky residents? I doubt it. The only lame comment this parent offers is Knable's parents felt the Indiana schools didn't meet their standards. I am irritated a parent would even comment about Hall's situation. He does live in Kentucky at least.

Coffee your comment may apply to Jefferson County but it in no way applies to the rest of the state. It is only because of the huge influence of the Jefferson county catholic schools that allow other Jefferson county students to chosse other schools. If a kid lives in NKY or Eastern Ky they are not allowed to choose a school in the area. They are assigned a school and unable to choose elsewhere without paying tuition., So your point only applies to Jefferson county not the rest of the state which is the majority.

Coffee your comment may apply to Jefferson County but it in no way applies to the rest of the state. It is only because of the huge influence of the Jefferson county catholic schools that allow other Jefferson county students to chosse other schools. If a kid lives in NKY or Eastern Ky they are not allowed to choose a school in the area. They are assigned a school and unable to choose elsewhere without paying tuition., So your point only applies to Jefferson county not the rest of the state which is the majority.

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe Kenton County may have open enrollment (Scott, Simon Kenton, Dixie).  Not sure, but I thought I heard that in the past.

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe Kenton County may have open enrollment (Scott, Simon Kenton, Dixie).  Not sure, but I thought I heard that in the past.

I went to NKU for a while, and I had to fraternity brothers that lived next door to one another--one went to Simon Kenton and the other was at Dixie Heights.  Not sure of how/why, just thought it pertinent to interject an example that I knew of.

Oh please. This is not about public and private. It's about a spoiled parent who gets on here and types he is "irritated" by the Hall situation.  Workhard stated he was "irritated"! I am only pointing out the duplicity of his comments. If you can't understand that point then lock yourself out.

I have nothing against the catholics. In fact, I may even be a catholic. Or at least I know I have a catholic in my family tree somewhere? I am "irritated" a St X parent complains about Hall living in Ryle's district and wrestles when St X allowed a kid who lived in another state to cross the river daily and wrestle for ST. X. Of course, they paid tuition!

Was the St. X parent "irritated" when the Indiana resident took 4 gold medals from Kentucky residents? I doubt it. The only lame comment this parent offers is Knable's parents felt the Indiana schools didn't meet their standards. I am irritated a parent would even comment about Hall's situation. He does live in Kentucky at least.

The spoiled parent you're talking about is a decent, hardworking man who cares about giving his boys the best he can, both in wrestilng and academics. He's been around the KY wrestling block and knows what he's talking about and is involved with and friends with many other bigs named families and schools around the state. I tried not to get to into this topic but you are a sad character. You want to be right at all costs, even if  the facts and conditions aren't there. Give it up. Go outside. Check out the snow.

I went to NKU for a while, and I had to fraternity brothers that lived next door to one another--one went to Simon Kenton and the other was at Dixie Heights.  Not sure of how/why, just thought it pertinent to interject an example that I knew of.

That is true at least in the past.  Now they all just move to CC.  LOL.  I didn't just say that.

That is true at least in the past.  Now they all just move to CC.  LOL.  I didn't just say that.

HA!HA!HA!  :-D That's minus one bonus point for ryledad.  :evil:

This is true