Sign in to follow this  
CERON

Trinity, Woodford Co., Ryle, Union Co., Mark Hall etc.

Ive been checking these post out for a while but never signed up until recently when my name came up but now I'm tired of people bashing kids and teams for being good. First, Coach Brown has a great group of kids and he does a great job at Trinity. His kids worked hard to become state champs. Just like Union Co., Ryle, and Woodford Co. These teams work hard to be as good as they are. It's not like they are playing around. They take this sport serious. People hate to see others more successful than them, so they talk bad about them. Another thing I see on here is people bashing kids. I've seen Mark Hall wrestle and for him to wrestle in KY as a 7th grader and compete with the best high schoolers around the nation and win is great. Would you rather see him kill middle schoolers or see him get better at this level? I know he might not stay in KY but for him to compete against stiff competition every week is a good thing for him. If he was on your team that you support would you be complaining then, NO! People hate on those who are better. I've seen kids get booed at state but have any of you who do these things ever stop to talk to these kids that you do that to. A few years ago everyone did Coty Lewis like this and he was a great wrestler. 9 out of 10 of these kids are good kids and don't deserve it, so please stop it. If your child gets beat by Woodford Co, Trinity, Ryle, Union Co., don't boo these kids or their coaches because they have worked hard to get to where they are. Clap and show some praise for what they have accomplished. That would be true sportsmanship. To those who i have mentioned and the ones i forgot,  keep up the good work and good luck on the rest of the season!

While I won't suggest any kid get booed, you probably have to be a little more selective about your choices.  I've never heard a Union kid get booed.  I think those kids always conduct themselves in a way that reflect well on themselves, the team, and their school (should be the goal of every kid).  But guys like Coty Lewis have taken a differrent path and earned the dislike of opposing fans.  Regarding Mark Hall, I think most of the discussion has been more about the situation rather than the team or the kid.  I haven't heard a single bad thing about the kid and he has represented Ryle well every time I've seen him.  Yes, you are correct, everyone tends to have a different view of these things when their team benefits from the move in and scream and cry when it is another team.  Competition often brings out the worst in us. 

Agree with most posts, No one is bashing The Ryle Staff or this young wrestler (Hall).

I read and even wrote some sarcasm about the situation and watched everyone get spun up; it was funny.  Ashame that everyone takes this stuff to heart.  If this kid went to a Louisville School or another school not sure it would get much attention.  Then again would this young wrestler get any better at one of the smaller or newer programs, NO..  SO the Parents and wrestler seeked out a program and wrestlers that could make him better,  I'm not sure they're are many teams or programs that could even provide any assist to Hall.

I know that Union kids conduct themselves very well on and off the mat but i was talking in general about the fans bad mouthing these teams cause they are good. Union Co. kids are class acts and so are the parents, they gave me a t-shirt to help cheer them on last year at state. Same goes for Trinity, and Woodford Co., they are not what most people make them to be. From my experiences with Ryle, they are good people. Even if there is one kid that is a problem, don't take it out on the rest of the team until you know them. Basically, never judge a book by it's cover. to To everyone, Please leave Mark Hall alone unless you have good things to say, he's only a child and doesn't need the extra pressure of mature people making it hard on him.

last year during the 160 state finals, there was a guy yelling at harrison courtney saying he was the worst 4x state champ ever and yelling just a bunch of garbage, for someone to yell something like that to someone is very wrong, after harrison won the match his mom tourned around and looked at the guy like he was crazy

last year during the 160 state finals, there was a guy yelling at harrison courtney saying he was the worst 4x state champ ever and yelling just a bunch of garbage, for someone to yell something like that to someone is very wrong, after harrison won the match his mom tourned around and looked at the guy like he was crazy

That happened to me when I was in High School.... I was in the finals at a trny. Someone yelled I was terrible because they got word of me getting offered a wrestling scholarship to Cumberland Uni. I ended up destroying the kid in the finals... Found out it was someone I was going to wrestle in our Region tournament... I had him in the first round of regions.... I took him down with a foot sweep and pinned him.... Then looked at his parents who were standing at the edge of the rail and said oh so I suck right? and walked off. I got a team point taken away for it... But For someone to yell that, that is very bad.

That happened to me when I was in High School.... I was in the finals at a try. Someone yelled I was terrible because they got word of me getting offered a wrestling scholarship to Cumberland Uni. I ended up destroying the kid in the finals... Found out it was someone I was going to wrestle in our Region tournament... I had him in the first round of regions.... I took him down with a foot sweep and pinned him.... Then looked at his parents who were standing at the edge of the rail and said oh so I suck right? and walked off. I got a team point taken away for it... But For someone to yell that, that is very bad.

yea something happened kind of like that in the  kob tourney a ref wouldn't call a pin or something and then the kid end up pinning him and he got up and said is there anything else i need to do, then seen the ref on a break and like shoulder bumped him and kept walking, thats horrible sportsmanship

Believe it or not this is happening on the middle school level as well. We were at a tournament last year and a group of NKY fans started saying some very inappropriate things to my staff and my kids. Say what you will about me, but leave the kids out of it, I'm a grown man that can take of my own business, but these are kids. And Ranger123, I normally try back you on your thoughts and ideas, but you are way out of line calling out Coty. You are now just as guilty as these other wise guys. Coty was a kid. Do you remember being one? We don't always make the best decisions as kids, and when you chastise rather than be a part of the solution you are no help at all. Did you ever try to talk to Coty when he was dealing with his issues? I would guess no you did not.  You should try to get to know him now. He is turning in to an outstanding young man and I'm proud to say that he is a true friend to me and my family. I let him teach my young son whenever he can find time in between his own personal training and his coaching schedule. Coty did take a different path, but I didn't see too many holier than thous trying to help him out. Think about it!

I agree alot with the last post about middle schol. I have been coaching at the high school level for over 20 years in 4 different states and have always seen a percentage (usually small ) of kids and fans who demonstrate what XXX they can be.  About 4 years ago I got involved in youth and middle school wrestlingBIg difference in parent, coach and and fan behavior..  Our problems at the high school level pale in comparison. 

I think the state should be proud of a program such as Ryle that can attract a wrestler of this caliber.

They have placed a number of kids in D1 programs, probably more than any other program in KY in the last 10 yrs.

PS: I wish adults would think twice before they boo any of the kids on the mat. Boo the ref or a bad call but not against the kids.

CERON, I commend you on your efforts. I can't tell you how many sucess stories I've seen and heard just because someone took the extra time to care. Wrestling is the greatest sport on Earth, but it like anything else, it has an ugly side as well. I don't know where I would be if I didn't have difference makers in my life. To all the parents out there, let's help build Kentucky wrestling into something we can be proud of. This should be the best time of these kids lives, WIN OR LOSE!

Not only Ryle and Hall, we should be proud to have Bradbury, Hitchings, Shotwell, the Ervins, Josh Johnson, Justin Davis, Harrison Courtney, the Carrs, Coach Rusty Parks, Kyle Ruschell, Richard Brown and more to have wrestled or coached in KY. We have seen these guys and their programs be successful over the years. They probably could be or could've been elsewhere but are here in our state. Some of their teams and wrestlers are what KY wrestling is known for, so why not show your support. If we stick together as a state we can compete on a national level, Caleb Ervin proved that last year by being a National Champion.

Bo, i don't hide myself either. I want everyone to know how i feel. I am Bradbury fan, nothing against Hall. I've watched him for years along with his brothers. The Hall thing has people upset because he plans leave KY when he enters high school. How many teams over the years have benefited from having someone transfer in from another state and help their program without knowing if he would stay or not? Like it or not, if i could have an athlete like Hall or Bradbury that was only going to be here for two years i would be thrilled. By the way, if i left anyone like Coach K of St. X., Knable, Travis Sullivan, and others off the list that have been great influences for KY over the years I am sorry. Ky needs more good exposure in the sport throughout the nation.

Bo, i don't hide myself either. I want everyone to know how i feel. I am Bradbury fan, nothing against Hall. I've watched him for years along with his brothers. The Hall thing has people upset because he plans leave KY when he enters high school. How many teams over the years have benefited from having someone transfer in from another state and help their program without knowing if he would stay or not? Like it or not, if i could have an athlete like Hall or Bradbury that was only going to be here for two years i would be thrilled. By the way, if i left anyone like Coach K of St. X., Knable, Travis Sullivan, and others off the list that have been great influences for KY over the years I am sorry. Ky needs more good exposure in the sport throughout the nation.

I'm with you. It's strange how everyone on here talks about wanting to see KY wrestling grow and get more competitive with other states but when someone gets to that level and is dominant, everyone wants to spite and down them. It's pitiful. I liked Coty Lewis, too. I felt for him when people did him like they did.

And Ranger123, I normally try back you on your thoughts and ideas, but you are way out of line calling out Coty. You are now just as guilty as these other wise guys. Coty was a kid. Do you remember being one? We don't always make the best decisions as kids, and when you chastise rather than be a part of the solution you are no help at all. Did you ever try to talk to Coty when he was dealing with his issues? I would guess no you did not.  You should try to get to know him now. He is turning in to an outstanding young man and I'm proud to say that he is a true friend to me and my family. I let him teach my young son whenever he can find time in between his own personal training and his coaching schedule. Coty did take a different path, but I didn't see too many holier than thous trying to help him out. Think about it!

DW, I've thought about it and you are welcome to disagree with me.  BUT, if you follow the thread back to the beginning I wasn't the first to bring up Coty.  I didn't say anything harsh about him; just stated the fact that his actions brought on much of the booing.  Regarding "getting to know him" I admit I didn't.  But do you really think he was open to a random parent or coach talking to him about his issues.  I don't think so.  And yes, I do recall being a kid once who made my fair share of mistakes.  But I don't recall ever acting out in a way to get that sort of reaction from the crowd.  I'm very glad to hear that Coty has his life in order and is doing good things.  High school was a different story.

The more I think about it, I may be with Bo.  In general we shouldn't boo the kids, but when someone does something flagrant or gets DQ'd for fighting or something they deserve whatever the fans give them.

Ranger, I was that random guy that decided to walk up and talk to Coty. I didnt do it cause I felt the need to, I did cause I thought he was misguided on his ultimate goal to win a state title plus I wanted to see him wrestle more cause I like how he wrestled. He could have walked away from me but he didnt, he listened to what I had to say and wrestled alot better his next time out, but i think the whole situation got to him earlier and he wasn't focused anymore.

myGSP, I wouldn't attack anyone like in those videos. I will step on the mat if I have to. I encourage my wrestlers to wrestle rough and be aggressive but not dirty. Wrestling is a rough sport and sometimes you lose cause you're not rough enough, you can't be tough without being a lil rough.

Ceron that comment I made about not hiding myself was not directed at you it was just a blanket statement sorry if you thought it was directed at you.  I was just expressing my thoughts on the situation.  When I wrestled my school benefitted from a few transfer and they were based on different cases each time.  Three were because job relocations and one because there was no wrestling at the high school he was at, all were out of state transfers.  I understand the rumor is this kid plans on transferring back to Michigan when he is in high school.  So what

Ranger, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, I just wanted to make the point that sometimes if we take a step back, we would realize that no matter if the kid is 7 or 17 they are still a kid. Bo I agree that this is a cruel world and we can't shelter our children, but I do believe we should set an example for them. I'm far from perfect and I make many mistakes everyday, but all I can do is try to learn from them. I tell my guys to root for their team mates, anything other than that needs to be kept to themselves. Maybe we should tell our parents too. Quote of the day, "Show your class not your a**" 

myGSP, I wouldn't attack anyone like in those videos. I will step on the mat if I have to. I encourage my wrestlers to wrestle rough and be aggressive but not dirty. Wrestling is a rough sport and sometimes you lose cause you're not rough enough, you can't be tough without being a lil rough.

Never said you would, just trying to make the point of out of control parents/fans/coaches at times. Bad for all sports/kids.

Ranger, I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, I just wanted to make the point that sometimes if we take a step back, we would realize that no matter if the kid is 7 or 17 they are still a kid. Bo I agree that this is a cruel world and we can't shelter our children, but I do believe we should set an example for them. I'm far from perfect and I make many mistakes everyday, but all I can do is try to learn from them. I tell my guys to root for their team mates, anything other than that needs to be kept to themselves. Maybe we should tell our parents too. Quote of the day, "Show your class not your a**"

Gotcha.  And I understand if discussing Coty hit a nerve.  I agree that we should cheer our teammates and keep quiet after that.  But when kids cross the line on the mat, we can't just act like the fans are the bad guys for booing.  Now I will say I really dislike the idea of booing Woodford County (or any other team) for no reason other than the singlet they are wearing.

myGSP, I know you didnt say that, I was just commenting. My emotions get involved alot and don't want to see any kids get hurt for any reason and miss state.