Sign in to follow this  
CERON

Trinity, Woodford Co., Ryle, Union Co., Mark Hall etc.

last year during the 160 state finals, there was a guy yelling at harrison courtney saying he was the worst 4x state champ ever and yelling just a bunch of garbage, for someone to yell something like that to someone is very wrong, after harrison won the match his mom tourned around and looked at the guy like he was crazy

What an idiot.  I walked down to the floor after the finals last year with my 5 year old to meet Harrison.  Both boys looked like 2 kids in a candy store.  My son was excited to meet what I consider the best KY wrestler ever.  And Harrison couldn't have acted any happier to say hello to a litte kid.  A great champion and from what I can tell an even better young man.  And while I'm paying compliments to Woodford, Richard Starks was also one of the most classy wrestlers I saw.

How about this for starters. To prove we are good as a state, we need to find a sponsor to send our best kids from around the state as a team to different nationals to prove our state is growing in the sport. Not just a few guys but everyone we can. If we come together as coaches and try to make this happen i believe that parents and companies will jump on board to help send our kids to see the best competition. Spread the word and see what happens. Find out who's interested. I would love to see a team from KY of state champs and placers go to a tourney together and prove themselves to the rest of the country.

Speaking for myself a father of 3 Kentucky wrestlers Mark Halls ability to wrestle here as a 7th grader when my sons who go to private schools cant is irritating.We all want our children to have every opportunity to excel but our own states rules punish some children while benefitting others.My sons will go to school at st.x because we believe it is an excellent school academically because of that choice my middle school aged sons who wrestle for river city cant even practice with the high school for fear of recruiting violations. My sons biggest competetors like Sean fauze or Brock ErvIn are wrestling high school this year when he would love to also but cant.John Fahey didn't wrestle high school as an eighth grader ,is that because he wasn't good enough or because our states rules wouldn't allow it.Those of us who chose private schools for our children want them to be able compete at the highest level possible just like Mark Halls parents but our states rules dint allow it.My point and I think I speak for many is to see someone be able to manipulate Ky's. rules like the Halls have is irritating.I know the KY wrestlers and their parents and can be happy for their accomplishments because in some way we KY parents are bonded by our common goal to support our children in their quest to be their best. The Halls have not been a part of that but they get to take advantage of Ky's rules when KY wrestlers and family's cant . Mark Hall is not the issue but the ability for  non-ky residents to gain more  from Ky's rules than KY residents is to me.

I personally have seen a group of parents from one Central KY school who purposely try to antagonize opposing school parents by saying derogatory things about the opposing wrestlers.  They seek out certain parents, sit behind them and start talking about that opposing parent's kid.  It is like they can pick out which parent is going to be most upset.  They scream things like "Hurt him!" and "Kill him," and then when the other parent gets upset, they look at each other and smile and laugh like children.  It is absolutely sick.  The worst part of it is that it is MOMS who are doing this, and their husbands (boyfriends whatever) sit a row or two behind them and laugh.  I pray they don't try to do this to my wife, because my wife has witnessed it too, and she is just HOPING they try it on her!  :roll:

Speaking for myself a father of 3 Kentucky wrestlers Mark Halls ability to wrestle here as a 7th grader when my sons who go to private schools cant is irritating.We all want our children to have every opportunity to excel but our own states rules punish some children while benefitting others.My sons will go to school at st.x because we believe it is an excellent school academically because of that choice my middle school aged sons who wrestle for river city cant even practice with the high school for fear of recruiting violations. My sons biggest competetors like Sean fauze or Brock ErvIn are wrestling high school this year when he would love to also but cant.John Fahey didn't wrestle high school as an eighth grader ,is that because he wasn't good enough or because our states rules wouldn't allow it.Those of us who chose private schools for our children want them to be able compete at the highest level possible just like Mark Halls parents but our states rules dint allow it.My point and I think I speak for many is to see someone be able to manipulate Ky's. rules like the Halls have is irritating.I know the KY wrestlers and their parents and can be happy for their accomplishments because in some way we KY parents are bonded by our common goal to support our children in their quest to be their best. The Halls have not been a part of that but they get to take advantage of Ky's rules when KY wrestlers and family's cant . Mark Hall is not the issue but the ability for  non-ky residents to gain more  from Ky's rules than KY residents is to me.

Again, as I have said before, the rules need to be reviewed and changed for the betterment of the kids.

While I won't suggest any kid get booed, you probably have to be a little more selective about your choices.  I've never heard a Union kid get booed.  I think those kids always conduct themselves in a way that reflect well on themselves, the team, and their school (should be the goal of every kid).  But guys like Coty Lewis have taken a differrent path and earned the dislike of opposing fans.  Regarding Mark Hall, I think most of the discussion has been more about the situation rather than the team or the kid.  I haven't heard a single bad thing about the kid and he has represented Ryle well every time I've seen him.  Yes, you are correct, everyone tends to have a different view of these things when their team benefits from the move in and scream and cry when it is another team.  Competition often brings out the worst in us.

What do u mean earned the dislike of opposing fans? was it not coty lewis after loosing to Kyle R. in the finals that held his head high and walked off the matt with a succesful year? was it not coty lewis that after being robbed in the finals against caleb wood still showed respect to the reffs, shook there hands and got off the mat, was it not coty lewis after sticking josh johnson in the finals, helped the kid up then started his celebration? so u judge a kid on how well he performed his last two years in high school and that completly masks the previous three years? so he pump-faked the crowd after a call he saw unfair, big whoop. and i hate these kids that say they heard lewis say so many things, not like coty lewis at all.

Good point workhard.  I never thought of the private school kids, but you have a good point.  But I always wondered with Fahy and others, why don't they just wrestle for the public high school district they are in while they are in 7th & 8th grade, and then go on to St. X or Trinity starting in the 9th grade.  Is there a rule against that?  If so, then I agree with you 100% the rules in this case are hurting our kids.

I think it's a good thing for middle school kids to wrestle high school cause it lets teams fill some spots. Private schools should be allowed to but they have to pay tuition to attend school. I'm not sure but I think this plays a key role in why Trinity and St. X aren't allowed to have middle schoolers. Throughout my years I have never seen these schools need a middle schooler on the team. If Fahy would have wrestled as an 8th grader, I think he would have won a state title but thats my opinion. Some programs rely on middle school kids, so for them the rule doesn't need to be changed, we just need to find a solution for the private schools.

I think it's a good thing for middle school kids to wrestle high school cause it lets teams fill some spots. Private schools should be allowed to but they have to pay tuition to attend school. I'm not sure but I think this plays a key role in why Trinity and St. X aren't allowed to have middle schoolers. Throughout my years I have never seen these schools need a middle schooler on the team. If Fahy would have wrestled as an 8th grader, I think he would have won a state title but thats my opinion. Some programs rely on middle school kids, so for them the rule doesn't need to be changed, we just need to find a solution for the private schools.

Right, if St. X or Trinity consistently had a problem fielding A, B, and C teams then maybe the rules would be adjusted. I can't speak for the other private schools that field teams, but clearly numbers are not a problem at St. X and Trinity.

Just a note Central and Manual are not allowed to have middle school kids wrestle for them either because their "Magnet" status it restricts it.  I would love to have a couple of middle school kids compete for starting spots on our team.  I think the competition will always make guys hungrier to start.  Middle school kids want to beat high school kids and high school kids do not want to lose to a middle school kid.

If Omar Jarvis was allowed to wrestle for Central as an 8th grader, how much better do you think he would be? He would have been allowed to practice with better guys to make him better. So Central and Manual are in the same boat as Trinity and St. X. on the middle schoolers and these are public schools. These two public schools could have more numbers if middle schoolers were allowed on their teams, and would help build them for the future.

It's rather ironic to see anyone defending the catholic schools in Louisville. They win football every year only because they can recruit from the entire Louisville area.  A little boy moves in from a different state and topples one of the Jolly Green's state champions and suddenly everyone is belly aching about fairness. lol. What a joke!

Where does Bradbury live and how many counties does he drive through to get to Trinity? He's not doing anything illegal or wrong, HE IS JUST OPERATING WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE RULES!!!!!!! The state allows it and the catholics allow it!

Hall is just operating within the boundaries of the RULES!  Whats the difference?

Good point workhard.  I never thought of the private school kids, but you have a good point.  But I always wondered with Fahy and others, why don't they just wrestle for the public high school district they are in while they are in 7th & 8th grade, and then go on to St. X or Trinity starting in the 9th grade.  Is there a rule against that?  If so, then I agree with you 100% the rules in this case are hurting our kids.

I think the issue with this would be the transfer rule.  There are bylaws (of which I am NOT an expert) , that govern moves from one school to another.  I believe it is required that once a kid participates on a varsity squad for one school they need to either sit out a year upon transfer, or there needs to be permanent residency change for the entire family, etc.  Sticky. 

Based on some the moronic opinions on this message board, many should no longer support UK basketball because they recruit out of the state.  Oh, I forgot, we are talking about high school kids not college kids!  I see little difference. It's all about state pride, right?

I was talking about rules affecting middle schoolers and some how it became a catholic school slam wow sorry didnt mean to hit a nerve but how does choosing a private or as we heard public magnet school for your highschool make you unworthy to compete with the other middleschoolers throughout the state.Dont make a comparison of numbers or filling a spot we all know that Ryle has no problem filling spots and any school with a middleschooler who can win his weight class will let him have it. I know my son could have had the 103 at stx last year and this year but it isnt an option for him.

I think that if a kid could is good enough to wrestle varsity in middle school, he should be allowed to without sitting out even though he plans on going to a private school or a magnet school. This is about making wrestling better throughout the state not football or any other sport. If kids were allowed to wrestle for their home school and then go to a private or magnet school without sitting out I think we would see wrestling better throughout the state and not just at the power programs.

Regardless of how we feel about the Mark Hall situation, or the rules preventing middle school wrestlers from competing at private or magnet high schools, just keep in mind that the rules are made by, or at least heavily influenced by, coaches.  Personally, I do not like Bylaw 25 that prevents larger teams from sending out a legitimate jv squad to a varsity tournament, unless they spend one of their 17 varsity events to do so.  It is difficult for jv wrestlers to get matches, so it seems that sending jv squads to varsity tournaments is one of the few ways to do this.  I realize that there are about five jv events in our general area, but these ten matches are simply not enough to grow these wrestlers.  If we, as coaches, do not like particular rules, or if the rules are no longer addressing the needs of our sport, then it is up to us to make the necessary changes.  If you do not like particular rules, then gather together some likeminded coaches, and write up your proposal to the KHSAA.   

It's rather ironic to see anyone defending the catholic schools in Louisville. They win football every year only because they can recruit from the entire Louisville area.  A little boy moves in from a different state and topples one of the Jolly Green's state champions and suddenly everyone is belly aching about fairness. lol. What a joke!

Where does Bradbury live and how many counties does he drive through to get to Trinity? He's not doing anything illegal or wrong, HE IS JUST OPERATING WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE RULES!!!!!!! The state allows it and the catholics allow it!

Hall is just operating within the boundaries of the RULES!  Whats the difference?

I guess the only difference I'm seeing and I think what workhard is pointing out is that Mark Hall is allowed to compete as a 7th grader in our state and his kid (Lampe) is not because of the high school they are choosing for him to go to.  I agree they are both operating within the rules.  It's just one gets to take a shot at being a 6X state champ here, and another kid who has lived here his whole life does not get the same shot.

Thank you Mark Hall for highlighting a problem in our system.  The 103lb weight class is not always easy to fill even for large programs like Trinity and St X.  Look at the rankings and you will see just how many schools tap into the younger talent from the MS or clubs that support their HS of choice.  Each of the MS teams or clubs have other 103's that get match time when the stud is at a HS match.  Like St. X, Trinitys MS club program has a 103 lbr whose father is a Trinity alumni.  Is there any question where he would like his son to go to school.  Yet these guys can't even practice with the HS teams much less compete for them.  Think about those folks who want their sons to go to Male or Central, who could help those programs gain respect by filling the 103 or even 112 spots with solid wrestlers.  This problem can and should be solved.

I guess the only difference I'm seeing and I think what workhard is pointing out is that Mark Hall is allowed to compete as a 7th grader in our state and his kid (Lampe) is not because of the high school they are choosing for him to go to.  I agree they are both operating within the rules.  It's just one gets to take a shot at being a 6X state champ here, and another kid who has lived here his whole life does not get the same shot.

Yea the point is Lampe is "choosing" a school. Unless mommy and daddy pay for their kid to go to a private school, the state or local school system "chooses" what public school a child will attend. If Lampe doesn't like the catholics rules, wrestle for your local public school system and wrestle as a 7th grader. Should we feels sorry for Lampe because he chose a private school. NO! He has the option to wrestle as a 7th grader if he wants.

Hall doesn't have the option to wrestle so he "choose" to enter our state. Just like all the top Ky wrestling programs "choose" to leave their state and wrestle in Ohio and Indiana because there is better competition. Every weekend Kentucky boys are stealing medals from home grown Ohio and Indiana boys.

Stop whining. I'm glad Hall is here. Shake his hand, beat him and earn the medal. Otherwise, shutup and take the medal you deserve.

grapplesack, you're all over the map with this.  teams competing in the regular season out of state is a choice of each team and they can all do it.  private schools, public schools.  so whats your point?  if those schools don't like out of state kids from taking their medals, they just don't invite them.  that's not relevant to 2 kids both living in this state, one can wrestle varsity and one can't without being penalized. 

what would be fair is let both kids wrestle with their h.s. when they are in middle school or let neither.  in kentucky you are penalized for transferring schools, in ohio i believe you are allowed 1 move in 4 years.  don't make this about the whole state is picking on a "little boy who moved in from out of state".  you want to talk about whinning, read your post about how the catholics all win the state titles in football because they can recruit from all over louisville.  is that fair?  it's within the rules?