Sign in to follow this  
BillyTheBeast

Valley invitational

I would hate to think a wrestler won his weight class and didnt make the All Tournament Team

The problem is in a team tournament is that everybody doesn't meet everybody.  This means there may be a couple of wrestlers that went undefeated  in every weight class.  It went by who impressed people the most on the mat with their wrestling.

There's not really a way of winning the weight class in this type tournament because you only have 5 matches and there were 24 teams.  So it just came down I imagine to who looked most impressive throughout the day.

thats the problem with letting coaches vote though.  they didnt have time to go mat to mat gathering names writing down weight classes and watching the action.  if voting should be done there needed to be a confrence with the coaches where each undefeated wrestler was reported along with his stats ( points against, time spent on the mat, number of falls) then a vote could have been made.  the issue with doing that though is wrestling didnt conclude untill after 9pm.  so the problem boils down to simply too many teams not enough mats. IMO

I enjoyed the tournament but throwinthelegs is right. There was to many teams for the number of mats. 16 teams would have worked better.

That ref told me he had to go to his regular job. I told him if he could not stay and do the job he was hired to do at the tournament he should not have taken it in the first place.

well i think he didnt expect the tournament to last that long because everyone i talked to didnt expect it to last that long but still that ref was ridiculus i mean at least finish what u started dont say ur gonna do something and then not do it......he shouldnt have gotten paid

The ref you are speaking of was told the meet would be over by 4pm,so he took the assignment. He stayed until 7pm with the threat of losing his job. He did the best he could with information he was given prior to the start of the meet and felt bad having to leave in the middle of it.

I think something most of you kids forget is that not all coaches or refs are teachers and have that type of schedule for work to allow us/them to do this.  Quite often doing reffing or coaching is a big sacrifice for us with our family at home.  There are several times through the year i can't make matches because I have to work or I try to get to my son and daughters basketball games too.  So if he had to leave for his regular full-time job that pays his bills then even if he agreed to do it there is no way anyone should get upset at him....now if it was at noon than that's a different story but I don't think anyone expected to be there that late.  IF the unattached teams and the jv teams weren't there then it would have been much earlier a stop time in the day and wouldn't have been an issue, or one more mat for the number of schools.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, but I do not see how the 189 from DeSales defeated the Trinty JV wrestler in a good, hard match and the Trinity JV wrestler still made All Tournament Team above him. Yes, I am part of the DeSales wrestling team and this is the only reason I bring it up. The match wasn't a fluke pin or pure luck, because both wrestlers wrestled hard and it was decided in overtime. I just believe that the wrestler with the better record and the win between those two should have been part of the All Tournament Team.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, but I do not see how the 189 from DeSales defeated the Trinty JV wrestler in a good, hard match and the Trinity JV wrestler still made All Tournament Team above him. Yes, I am part of the DeSales wrestling team and this is the only reason I bring it up. The match wasn't a fluke pin or pure luck, because both wrestlers wrestled hard and it was decided in overtime. I just believe that the wrestler with the better record and the win between those two should have been part of the All Tournament Team.

Or how about North Oldham taking 1st--- and having like 7-8 wrestlers undefeated, and they had 1 all tourney kid??????? wtf?

[/quote

Trinity brought 2 JV 189ers. The one he didn't wrestle was bumped up to 215 for a couple matches. I can assure you that the Trinity coach voted for your guy. Maybe the other coaches did not like the referee deciding an overtime match.

The overtime was won by Schmidt being behind the Trinity wrestler and about to take him down when the Trinity wrestler sprinted to get out of bounds. I don't find that a questionable call.

The overtime was won by Schmidt being behind the Trinity wrestler and about to take him down when the Trinity wrestler sprinted to get out of bounds. I don't find that a questionable call.

Still decided by the ref awarding a penalty point in the extra period.

Those calls really suck sometimes.  Seneca's LIT 112 finals this year paired Casa De Valle (Seneca) versus Wade Willen (University Heights).  The match was decided in overtime when Willen received a third caution for not putting his foot on the line for a neutral start.  Controversial, but the ref followed the rules.  I tell my wrestlers all the time not to leave a match in the ref's hands, because he will make a judgment call and it may go against us.  Do not leave a match in the ref's hands.

Anybody know the kids name that wrestled 152 at the Valley invitational for Valley? Is he still wrestling?

Probably Shawn Johnson or Michael Clark.  Shawn wrestled at Lafayette two years ago...but I think he has difficulties getting down to 45, which sometimes causes them to bump Clark up to 60.

That was Shawn but he will be at 145.  He actually made 145 for the tourney but wrestled up because Clark was not able to wrestle 152 due to his descent plan.

Thanks to the great and all-knowing Shea for correcting me.  :wink:

I was eligible for 152 that day, me and Shawn just bumped up to fill in weight classes at the tournament and we had someone else go 145 plus Shawn wanted to wrestle Omar Jarvis to get better competition than what he's had all season, n his fat test says he can go 132 like 2 days before regionals

I do not see how Shawn could get close to 135.  I could not tell where he would have it to lose from.  I apologize for the misinformed info. The descent plan say where the numbers say you can go, not where your body can actually go.  Jordan Tennyson's numbers stated he could go 171 by the numbers but the lowest he could get was 180.  I know because we tried! :-)  Regardless of the numbers and who should have been where, it was a good match and I look forward to seeing him at state this year.  I think Shawn will finish on the podium if he keeps his compuse through out the tourney.