bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

IMO thats crazy for u to say that.... He only lost to Carr (twice) his senior year.  The 1st match Carr was clearly stuck (but thats another thread, look it up if u wish to debate)  But Tinsley for sure belongs on the list.

I can think of someone but I doubt anyone would agree cause his only big wins were against a Sophomore Aaron Carr, a Junior Andre Zeppa, and a split series with Jake Wempe

Buttranger?

IMO thats crazy for u to say that.... He only lost to Carr (twice) his senior year.  The 1st match Carr was clearly stuck (but thats another thread, look it up if u wish to debate)  But Tinsley for sure belongs on the list.

I guess it depends on how big of a list we are talking about.  I was thinking more along the lines of top 10 that have never won state and he wouldn't make my list there.  But everyone has their own opinion.

ha nice way of putting has name. But give me a break I didnt come here until after the Campbells and Johnsons

He was a good wrestler, I always thought it was an intresting last name.

He was a good wrestler but not deserving on this list.  He had 1 or 2 good throws per match, then usually ended up getting worked on the mat.

I don't agree.  He won the Mater Dei tournament against very, very good competition.  During that time frame teams came from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, and the best in Indiana.  I agree he was not a great wrestler on top, but he had a very quick standup and escape.  His conditioning was a bit suspect, but Andrew Tinsley was one of the better wrestlers to never win state.

I don't agree.  He won the Mater Dei tournament against very, very good competition.  During that time frame teams came from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, and the best in Indiana.  I agree he was not a great wrestler on top, but he had a very quick standup and escape.  His conditioning was a bit suspect, but Andrew Tinsley was one of the better wrestlers to never win state.

Ok, he's on my list at #18.  :-D

Just kidding.  I do think he was a good wrestler.  I just don't put him in the same category as some of the others on this thread (Josh Cooper, Daniel Thunneman, Pat Banks, Todd May, Dion Washington, Mark Richardson).

ive said it before, but ill say it again. to me daniel thueneman has got to be the best to never win. i mean was he a three time third placer? losing to the guy that won it those three times? he was a hell of a wrestler, and the only wrestler i can ever remember watching wrestle courtney and wonder who was going to win.

ive said it before, but ill say it again. to me daniel thueneman has got to be the best to never win. i mean was he a three time third placer? losing to the guy that won it those three times? he was a hell of a wrestler, and the only wrestler i can ever remember watching wrestle courtney and wonder who was going to win.

I agree with you on all accounts except he never made it to the finals.  Statistically he might be the best but three 2nd place finishes seems more prestigious obviously because it's a step higher on the podium.

I think it was Nelly's song that said "two is not a winner and three nobody remembers".  Lol it's kind of true.

Courtney had some tough close matches with Pat Banks his freshman year. I honestly couldn't predict who was gonna win between the two. I'm pretty sure Banks was the last KY boy to beat Courtney.

Courtney had some tough close matches with Pat Banks his freshman year. I honestly couldn't predict who was gonna win between the two. I'm pretty sure Banks was the last KY boy to beat Courtney.

to beat him on or off season?

to beat him on or off season?

Banks beat him at state duals I believe Courtney's freshman year.  Hitchings beat him last yea rin the offseason.

I thought Theuneman beat Courtney during Courtney's sophomore season once, maybe at the South Oldham tourney?

i dont know if that is true jpizar, it seems i would remember if courtney lost a match to thueneman at south oldham, cause i loved watching both of them wrestle, and tates creek attends that tournament. although, you may be right, but im leaning more towards you are thinking of something else, or some other tournament at a different time.

yeah possum, im pretty sure thats right, i think i remember hearing something about that.

Trust me, Possum is right.  If anyone knows, Possum knows. ;)

Anthony Smith- Christian County

2nd his Sophomore year at 112 (1998)

4th his Junior year (because of the worst call ever, but that's another story) at 112 (1999)

2nd his Senior year at 119 (2000)

I'm sorry, is this the same Anthony Smith who threw a tantrum when he lost and had a rotten attitude?  May have had some strong skills in wrestling, but the guy wasn't a class act.  Shaun Cecil was a strong technical wrestler who just couldn't get past the semis.  Kid placed in state every year since 8th grade.