bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

Wise and Stone wrestled 3 times this year:

1. Wise beat Stone at Conner Duals by 4 or 5 points

2. Wise beat Stone at state. (In that matcdh Stone bit Wise and the ref didn't do anything, Don't say it's not true, i saw the teeth marks)

3. Stone beat Wise for 3rd at state (Stone dug his nails down on wise' neck, once again I saw the scratches firsthand they were about 5 inches long)

Wise won 2-1

excuse the h*ll out of me cougar, i forgot his birth weight was 165 lbs.  actually i confirmed from him that as an 8th grader, and going into his 9th grade year he was a 171 lber....  now don't ever correct me on here again!  ;-)

wow!

a bit touchy here, do I detect a grudge match here between plee and cougar at bluegrass games?

uhhhhh wow im surpised you guys didnt mention guys like

Cody Walls-Caldwell Co 06

Robert Smith-Eastern 05

Chris Reed-Seneca 04

Justin Kowele Eastern 04

Andre Bradford Eastern 03

Billy Whitehouse S.Oldham 03

Cory Spencer Johnson Central

The last 2 HVWTS from Dunbar(Very Respectable for this vote)

Conners last 3 good Wrestlers Dale and Stanley Stone and Keith Lageman

Ft Campbell's

Nate Johnson

Matt Mines

Nate Campbell

Thomas Campbell

Everyone forget Kurt Liska,LOL( he did have a bad senior yr to be honest,but he was good)

Come on people there are alot more people than all of these 80's and 90's wrestlers you are naming no offense to them,being that they started us before we were even started,lol

Uhh...Northern your right about Martinko that wasnt a easy side of the bracket Byrd and Wise were good competitors

I believe one of the Dunbar heavyweights you are talking about did win state.  Zach Brewer won it his Junior year and was runner up his senior year.  And I definiatly agree wih you on Andre Bradford from Eastern and Cris Reed from Seneca.  Andre Bradford got stuck with Brent Gibbs who really turned it up a couple of notches at state.  And Cris Reed wrestled Bo Hines extrodinarily well in the semis but just couldn't pull it out.  Both have got to be somewhere on this list.  Another person that has to be on the list is Brandon Perry from McCreary County.  He was a bad man.  6th his Soph. year, 3rd his Junior year, and 2nd his senior.

I'm curious Why wouldnt Cody Walls be at the top of all of these list guys,he got 3rd-4th through his last years in high school,not 2 mention he did it well at every weight class,yes he was cocky and a prick at some times BUT there were many wrestlers like that all through kentucky.......(Um no names)

Robert Smith came in as a underdog from a kinda weak program at Central High School,his 1st year,and then going through Eastern in 10th as a rookie and coming out of nowhere hitting the rankings at 8th and competing well at 135 and plac ing at state and defeating the TOP 5 ranked wrestlers in his weight class barely losing to #2 in his weight class,and then we all know his senior yr competing at state with a top Intermat recruit and nationaly ranked wrestler,getting a bad draw but still placing,I'd vote for that...

Campbell Counties Ben Hines,Cory Benkemper,very well get these votes.....

Now another thing I cannot seem 2 understand Eric Bryant was overrated at times,but he definetly was good enough 2 win a state title but people dogged him out on here n say he didnt deserve,im sure I can get some votes that he was the best wrestler to not win a state title..

I agree with you about Bankemper.  He placed in front of Banks that year even though he lost to him at state, far in front of him pinning Joey Sanders for 3rd, implying to me nerves got to him or he looked past the match considering Banks was early in his career (freshman that year).  Or, Banks wrestled the match of his career.

I think the deal with Bryant is that there's a misconception on everyone's part that someone has to be a technical wizard or the outrageously quick smooth type with the juking and jiving stuff.  The type of guy that you couldn't catch even if you cornered him in a telephone booth. This is not true.  Bryant overpowered his opponents, and was effective enough doing it. 

That said, Bryant was good enough to win ... but i don't know if he's one of the best ever to not win.

Ben Hines may be on this list.  He was set for a showdown with Lewis his senior year, but a guy named Murton got in both of their ways. 

Bankemper may have been the slickest wrestler that year, I thought he would win it hands down.  I also think nerves got to him.  He had that problem a couple of times that year in Ohio tourneys.

Bryant, (whom I would put on my team any time) was a great wrestler, had what it took to win the title but not the greatest.

Walls is the same way, a very good wrestler but not one of the greatest not to win it. 

I think there are more in the early days then now because wrestlers today are more informed.  If they are in a wt. class that they may not win it they move to another. Ie.  (J. Cooper, A. Cooper) In the early days that information was not available. 

HA HA....Jason Hardin if your going to mention him lets mention Dale Stone because he owned him um...twice.

Unless Dale Stone "owned" him this past season then it doesn't matter because we're not talk about year one, year two, or year three Jason Hardin. We're talkin' about the Jason Hardin at his peak ability which was this year. And lets try to have a little more respect for people like him instead of talkin' like a jerk and sayin' everything with a smug "as a matter of fact" tone.

Robert Smith came in as a underdog from a kinda weak program at Central High School,his 1st year,and then going through Eastern in 10th as a rookie and coming out of nowhere hitting the rankings at 8th and competing well at 135 and plac ing at state and defeating the TOP 5 ranked wrestlers in his weight class barely losing to #2 in his weight class,and then we all know his senior yr competing at state with a top Intermat recruit and nationaly ranked wrestler,getting a bad draw but still placing,I'd vote for that...

I've never heard someone hype themselves up like this lol.  Just playin with yah MagicBone you were definiatly tough and deserve to be on the list as well.

wow!

a bit touchy here, do I detect a grudge match here between plee and cougar at bluegrass games?

hehe, just razzin cougar there...i don't want a grudge match with no one these days.  my place on a mat is on the side sitting in a chair.

Wise and Stone wrestled 3 times this year:

1. Wise beat Stone at Conner Duals by 4 or 5 points

2. Wise beat Stone at state. (In that matcdh Stone bit Wise and the ref didn't do anything, Don't say it's not true, i saw the teeth marks)

3. Stone beat Wise for 3rd at state (Stone dug his nails down on wise' neck, once again I saw the scratches firsthand they were about 5 inches long)

Wise won 2-1

Come on....5 inch scratches?  Their mascot is the cougars, he's not literally a cougar.  Dale won the 1 that counted, i.e. for a higher medal at state.  I say Wise won some battles, but Dale won the war.  As far as Dale biting & scratching...there was 2 sides to that story.  Wise was pulling some stuff in those matches as well. 

Come on....5 inch scratches?  Their mascot is the cougars, he's not literally a cougar.  Dale won the 1 that counted, i.e. for a higher medal at state.  I say Wise won some battles, but Dale won the war.  As far as Dale biting & scratching...there was 2 sides to that story.  Wise was pulling some stuff in those matches as well. 

Yeah he won the wore in an unfair way. I personally saw the scratches and tooth marks

Check out the year before between Wise and Stone. These are not just from this year its from the Best Ever. Year after year.

Ridge45,

This is not about peak ability its about "BEST EVER" the fact of the matter is Dale, Wise, or Hardin are not even in the top 10. So I dont know why this is even an argument at the time.

Yeah he won the wore in an unfair way. I personally saw the scratches and tooth marks

If this is happened, it is obviously the referee's fault. Call it unfair, whatever, it's all left out on the mat after its over. Although its horrible, it does no good to complain about such things after its all over.

Eaglewrestler12,

If this did happen there are two problems and Im not calling you a liar. If you were able to see the marks Wise should have brought it do the attention of the Ref and if you dont know the rules its an auto DQ. Now I dont know where the marks were but I have thrown cross faces and caught teeth and not called it unfair. Now 5 inch scrathes if your going to tell a story dont get out of hand w/ it. Wise is a big kid but a 5 inch neck is a nice size neck. Also this would have led to a DQ. Another thing accidents to happen I have always been told to have a tight collar tie so if the ref did not check his nails good enough and a tight collar tie was applied it could have left marks. To sit here and call someone unfair is a joke and insult to ones abilities. I doubt any of the following scrathes or "bites" had anything to do with the win. Maybe it was because Stone took him down and Wise didnt get one. Or maybe it could have been a coaching strategy. So think about how you take things out of hand and how you accuse people before you type on here.

Read the post above I should not have to explain myself again. But for the sake of this conversaion I will. DEPENDING on where the BITE is I have put a cross face on someone before and have had teeth marks on where my hand or arm was crossing the mouth. Again Wise should have brought this to the attention of the ref. Now how do you explain 5 Inch scrathes on a 4 to 5inch neck. Now if this was me and I was going for 3rd or 4th I would have brought this to the refs attention. But he didnt so my apologizes to you and Wise. Tell me you would have not done the same...or tell me that you have never had a tooth mark on a hand where a crossface has been thrown. For all I know though he could have bit his leg. Im just going off where 9 out of 10 "Bites" occur and wrestlers are forced to DQ.  Its also a physical sport things happen. My explanations are above. Again there is no need to get on here and call someone a cheat, or said they won unfair its taking away from ones hardwork, and there ability to wrestle.

Now, cant we move into the real topic here the BEST WRESTLERS TO NEVER WIN STATE!! Not the half way decent ones who didnt. If you want to talk about this label it the Best Cheaters Who never won state on a diffrent forum. Im assuming would be a great topic or this what im sure you would call it.

reading this psot thinking of stanley stone i would haveto say he is one of the best not to win state his senior year he was abadhe handled nessen and just lost his head in the finals i will give credit where credit is sue the kid from trinity is good but stone was better wrestled a awful finals match but had an unbelivable record going in and thoguht he is very deserving of a state championship but about wise gettin bite and scratched i dont know about that one refs check nails and bite marks are atomatic dq's so thats hard to belive and i aint saying your lieing about it it could be head gear scratches or anything but its a rough sport and if scratches are the only injurys he got then he is doing good

Mike Hubard - CCHS  - Only hurdle to get tripped up on was Livingston Merritt

Dave Diaz - HHS  -Take down machine-3rd sr, 3rd jr, 6th soph.

Anthony Smith - CCHS - 2nd, 4th, 2nd

My vote would also be Dion Washington Hwt Woodford Co.

Fresman------5th place

Sophmore----2nd to Danny Davis (Ft. Kn)

Junior---------2nd to Frank Wolnitzec (Holmes)

Senior--------2nd to Frank Wolnitzec (Holmes)

gahh thats brutal

i didnt read the other 5 pages cause i didnt feel like it. but two wrestlers that were very good that never won a championship were danial thuenamen, and jon voth. also i do believe beau sanders never won, and he was also very good.