bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

I saw korey shotwell losing. Idk why I just saw it. he has all the talent but it seems he freezes at state year after year.

But best to not win state.. Josh Cooper. I think he would have still placed top 4 his senior year with only won leg!

shotwell was sick all week thts why he didnt do very good i mean 3rd is good and all but still he had a chance to win it.........plus he hadnt been pin sence the 7th grade then he got pin last saturday so i would say korey wins this:)

David Diaz from Hoptown should be on this list as well. I believe he placed 3rd his junior and senior years, 97 and 98.

I placed 6th my 10th grade year as well..    :wink:  :wink:  thanks for the vote

How bout Josh cooper. 2x finalist, 4x placer but was injured his senior year and didnt get to compete. He was the clear favorite that year

Josh Cooper walked through the Conference toureny his senior year prior to his injury.  I belive he pinned everyone.  And that would include pinning Ryan Dillon who placed 6th and John Golsby that placed 5th that year. 

shotwell was sick all week thts why he didnt do very good i mean 3rd is good and all but still he had a chance to win it.........plus he hadnt been pin sence the 7th grade then he got pin last saturday so i would say korey wins this:)

After to losing in the finals against Dusty last year, there was no Ohlman was going to be denied. If he had lost, he would be on this list.

After to losing in the finals against Dusty last year, there was no Ohlman was going to be denied. If he had lost, he would be on this list.

But he didn't so he's not, he got the state championship he earned...But nice subtle attempt at getting us to talk about Trinity some more. 

How about this?  Who wants to talk about high school coaches that stayed in Frankfort an extra day to talk/"recruit" at the elementary state tournament.

Wonder about the legality of that?  What about the what that says about what a person's willing to do to win.  Maybe that's the same type of person who's willing to influence a young ref to get a pin, that you now is not?

Congrats to Grant, he definitely did work during the state tourney.  I was one who was rooting for Terrence, but that doesn't necessitate that I was rooting againt Grant.

Would it be "legal" for a high school coach to be @ the elementary state tournament if his grandson were wrestling?  It would be a shame if the KHSAA were to start banning grandpas from these tournaments.  BTW...Trinity landed Fern Creek's Jackson Mingus(6 yr. old) over the weekend.  He signed his letter of intent after the in-home visit!!!!  A good get for the Rocks.

Brian Branson from the now extinct Webster County wrestling team.  He wrestled the 87-88 season and beat then #1 ranked Giorgio Hiatt from Fort Campbell.  He won the district and region.  Then got illegally slammed at Atherton which disqualified his opponent.  As a result, Branson couldn't continue due to injury and ended up getting 6th. 

Ha Ha ... I got to call Coach Smith and tell him to read this..  :-D :-D

Very good, maybe he can teach the his kids the perception about throwing headgear after a loss.  lol

OK mouse35 we get it you obviously have a burr in your bonnet over Coach Smith.  However, people change, they grow up and mature. I suggest you do the same. Anthony Smith the wrestler of 10 years ago, is not the same as Coach Smith today. He is a fine coach & good leader/role model for our wrestlers today.

That's OK Ryle doesn't recruit in state.  Thet are wroking on 2 Iowa kids and 1 rfrom New Jersey  :roll:

This maybe the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Do you have sources in Iowa and New Jersey or something? The fact of the matter is most states wont let kids wrestle in Varsity in being in MS still so they move south. This is one the closest states for some of those wrestlers to wrestle at. Lets face it if you look over the last 6 years Ryle has been the most consistent program and thats where they go. They have a great program and a great assistant coach in Rick Barker. Everyone always loves to hate the program thats on top. Im sure they are talking to Hall and trying to get him to stay but who wouldnt. I am also sure if you knew this for a fact you would be the first one crying to the KHSAA. Ryle's coaching staff is a group of not only good coaches but classy guys.

OK mouse35 we get it you obviously have a burr in your bonnet over Coach Smith.  However, people change, they grow up and mature. I suggest you do the same. Anthony Smith the wrestler of 10 years ago, is not the same as Coach Smith today. He is a fine coach & good leader/role model for our wrestlers today.

lol burr in the bonnet, that's good stuff.  It's nice to hear that Coach Smith has been touched by the maturity bug and is giving back to the sport.  When I think of the best to never win state, it's the overall person.  Not just the skills, but the right attitude, heart, and sportsmanship.  In his high school years, and I haven't heard anyone disagree, he had a bad attitude.  I wasn't slamming the man, just the wrestler I remember.  And if he has taught his kids how to win well and lose with integrity, then my hat's off to him.  As far as maturing myself, I was already there in the late 80's.  lol