Sign in to follow this  
ankle_pick111

Harrison Courtney vs John Wolsiefer

Both at 160.  Courtney as a senior against Wolsiefer as a junior is the comparison I'm making.  I'll take Courtney in a close match.  If Wolsiefer had wrestled his senior year then I would be comparing them as that.  In that case I'd say it's a toss-up.  Wolsiefer has the advantage on his feet, Courtney on the mat as we all know.  Both have/had excellent conditioning so that wouldn't be a factor and neither were exceptionally strong.

Toss up. Same as Jp said Wolsiefer on his feet and Courtney on the mat. Low scoring match It'd be similar to the Cooper, Wolsiefer match but Courtney is better on the mat than Cooper was. I'd say Courtney in a very close one.

Even though I know everyone here has seen HC wrestle, i'm going to go ahead and assume that you've never seen Johnny wrestle? This is because if you've seen Johnny, any year, you'd know that he's far beyond HC. Not to disrespect or anything, but it wouldn't be close. He's just too much. He's been too much for anyone in Kentucky for the past 3 year. Just a shame he didn't wrestle last year.

Even though I know everyone here has seen HC wrestle, i'm going to go ahead and assume that you've never seen Johnny wrestle? This is because if you've seen Johnny, any year, you'd know that he's far beyond HC. Not to disrespect or anything, but it wouldn't be close. He's just too much. He's been too much for anyone in Kentucky for the past 3 year. Just a shame he didn't wrestle last year.

I disagree with you there.  I believe it would be a close match, have you ever seen Courtney get blown out?  If you want to see domination, look at what Harrison Courtney did to this state as a Junior.  Picture a bulldog taking a wiz on a fire hydrant.  His senior year he wrestled pretty much up a weight class.  He made 152 at the super 32 at the beginning of the season.  So I would say it would have been easy for him to have went 152 at state this year, he would have dominated that weight class this year at state.

I see Courtney as winning quite easily.  He was dedicated to the sport which is why he was able to wrestle all four years.  This didn't seem to be the case for Wolsiefer.

Wow. As much as everyone likes to see the most dedicated guy win, it isn't always the case. As far as physicality, intensity, strength, speed, overall toughness, and, yes, technique go, Johnny runs away with this one. I've wrestled both of them. I honestly can say that I don't believe Harrison would score offensively.

This was John's soph. year. I think he was way better his junior year.

I do think he would keep it close with Courtney, in fact no doubt. I mean come on when have we ever seen such high calibar wrestlers blow each other out in a match???

I would say that Courtney would win a very close match, much like his Banks finals match his fresh year.  It's a shame Wolfsifer did not wrestle his senior year, it would of been him and Mitch in the same weight class more than likely.

i see john winning it. he out matches courtney on his feet by a lot more than courtney out matches john on the mat. john was explosive, so an escape would happen, not right away, but it would happen. courtney couldnt hit more tilts than john would hit takedowns in my opinion. three to four points separate the two, with john winning.

Wow what a silly question.  But as you know I like silly questions.

I always criticized Courtney, but finally came around to his side his Jr. year.  I don't thing anyone comes close to defeating him.

Wolfer was only impressive his Sophi. year.  This was also the only year he defeated any real competition (Cooper).  Who was his competition after this.  Chat? An extremely overrated wrestler.  A defensive machine who could keep a match close and pull out an unimpressive win at the end. 

Courtney however was able to defeat both Banks and Thuenerman.  Thuenerman was a takedown machine very close to the same level as Wolfer and Courtney still defeated him.  He tore apart Saunders two years in a row.  Who also was a defensive machine like Chat and Courtney was able to dismantle him also.  Wolfer was not able to dominate Chat in the same way. 

19 out of 20 times Courtney wins and he takes a loss when he is not at his best and Wolfer is at his best.

You have to have the heart to defeat great talent Wolfer did not have this.  If he would have developed this maybe he is able to win 4 out of 10 on Courtney, but Courtney would have stepped it up if he knew he was going to have to wrestle a determined Wolfer.

Wow you don't know how hard it is to back a Woodford wrestler, but you have to give credit where credit is do and eat crow sometimes. 

Wow what a silly question.  But as you know I like silly questions.

I always criticized Courtney, but finally came around to his side his Jr. year.  I don't thing anyone comes close to defeating him.

Wolfer was only impressive his Sophi. year.  This was also the only year he defeated any real competition (Cooper).  Who was his competition after this.  Chat? An extremely overrated wrestler.  A defensive machine who could keep a match close and pull out an unimpressive win at the end. 

Courtney however was able to defeat both Banks and Thuenerman.  Thuenerman was a takedown machine very close to the same level as Wolfer and Courtney still defeated him.  He tore apart Saunders two years in a row.  Who also was a defensive machine like Chat and Courtney was able to dismantle him also.  Wolfer was not able to dominate Chat in the same way. 

19 out of 20 times Courtney wins and he takes a loss when he is not at his best and Wolfer is at his best.

You have to have the heart to defeat great talent Wolfer did not have this.  If he would have developed this maybe he is able to win 4 out of 10 on Courtney, but Courtney would have stepped it up if he knew he was going to have to wrestle a determined Wolfer.

Wow you don't know how hard it is to back a Woodford wrestler, but you have to give credit where credit is do and eat crow sometimes. 

No way. And the say that Dan T was anywhere near Johnny's level on takedowns is insane. Until you've seen Johnny mop up everyone in the state and slaughter everyone out of state as well, you won't really understand.

And who cares if he had some not-so-dominating matches? That doesn't make him any less of a dominating wrestler. Did you see Courtney and Walls? Courtney is light years ahead of Walls but that wasn't a blowout.

Johnny is just too much. Sure, he's a wasted talent. But a talent none the less.

His junior year was most impressive he always pulled out the win. Hit that sweet inside trip on Scott Wheeler from Larue and always gave Dakota choate a whoopin or two. He did dominate mostly those indiana tournies though.

this is ridiculous, its like you all are looking for people to beat courtney. why not go ahead and start a thread, who would win Harry or Dan Gable. sorry but anyway to get back on this, harry would win. like i said a few months ago i think, someone who can is good on his feet wrestling someone who is good (all around in my opinion) in your all's view on the mat is going to win. back point are more points than takedowns.  and even if johnny did take him down whats he gonna do next....cut him? to leave it up to harry to pick top and work him with tilts? do you all really think that if johnny got harry down he could hold him??? doubt it. i got harry 9 out of 10 the one would be if johnny was on his a game and harry was wrestling like he did against walls.

this is ridiculous, its like you all are looking for people to beat courtney. why not go ahead and start a thread, who would win Harry or Dan Gable. sorry but anyway to get back on this, harry would win. like i said a few months ago i think, someone who can is good on his feet wrestling someone who is good (all around in my opinion) in your all's view on the mat is going to win. back point are more points than takedowns.  and even if johnny did take him down whats he gonna do next....cut him? to leave it up to harry to pick top and work him with tilts? do you all really think that if johnny got harry down he could hold him??? doubt it. i got harry 9 out of 10 the one would be if johnny was on his a game and harry was wrestling like he did against walls.

I just can't see Courteny hitting a tilt on Wolsiefer his soph. or junior year. John wrestled some stiff competition in Fargo for 2 years I believe. I can promise you that Wolsiefer has already wrestled tougher opponents than Courtney would be. Has Courtney been to Fargo?

Harrison Courtney. Once Wolseifer would take Courtney down, then what would he do? Get a peterson hit on him? Or Courtney would get a reversal, then work him on top.

Not really. I know these threads are stupid. But why not comment them? We all know it isn't going to happen. But this is great because it keeps people thinking about wrestling and technique and knowing what's going on in their state. Nobody is taking shots at Courtney or just trying to find someone who is better because he's some kind of god. That isn't the case at all. It's just fun and it's enjoyable to discuss. No need to get all upset.

Not really. I know these threads are stupid. But why not comment them? We all know it isn't going to happen. But this is great because it keeps people thinking about wrestling and technique and knowing what's going on in their state. Nobody is taking shots at Courtney or just trying to find someone who is better because he's some kind of god. That isn't the case at all. It's just fun and it's enjoyable to discuss. No need to get all upset.

This was directed toward Mack, by the way. Sorry for any confusion.

I just can't see Courteny hitting a tilt on Wolsiefer his soph. or junior year. John wrestled some stiff competition in Fargo for 2 years I believe. I can promise you that Wolsiefer has already wrestled tougher opponents than Courtney would be. Has Courtney been to Fargo?

What did Johnny place in Fargo?  Just going doesn't cut it.

It wouldn't have mattered if he went 2 and out getting pinned twice. That isn't the issue. He's too good on his feet. He's too good on bottom. He's too good on top. No way would he get tilted. No way would he get taken down. No way would he get peterson rolled.

My point is that Wolsiefer would not be concerned with Harrison Courtneys god-like status in our state like most kids who wrestle him (except for maybe Jake Lee), because Johnny has already wrestled many tougher guys than Courtney. If I remember correctly Wolsiefer left Fargo both years with a winning record which is nothing to sneeze at. At least he went.

Danger, you claim Harrison isn't a God or unbeatable (which is obvious) and then follow that up by saying that Wolsifier can't be scored on, in any position, by anyone in the state.  It sounds like you're exalting John into god-like status.  How bad did he beat you in order to make you that fearful of his wrestling?

That's not a shot at you, I'm genuinely curious.  We all had our butts handed to us by someone.

Danger, you claim Harrison isn't a God or unbeatable (which is obvious) and then follow that up by saying that Wolsifier can't be scored on, in any position, by anyone in the state.  It sounds like you're exalting John into god-like status.  How bad did he beat you in order to make you that fearful of his wrestling?

That's not a shot at you, I'm genuinely curious.  We all had our butts handed to us by someone.

Except Wolseifer and Courtney.