3/4nelson

REGION 5

Blah is being nice - and accurate in the account.  He was ticked off like blah said and not only hit him once but twice and the last one at least was the one in a cast or brace or something (don't recall which arm he got with on the first one because no one was looking for that). 

Region 5 finals were done on two mats so there was only ONE ref on the mat.

He is lucky that he is still in the tournament.

Blah is being nice - and accurate in the account.  He was ticked off like blah said and not only hit him once but twice and the last one at least was the one in a cast or brace or something (don't recall which arm he got with on the first one because no one was looking for that). 

Region 5 finals were done on two mats so there was only ONE ref on the mat.

He is lucky that he is still in the tournament.

I honestly don't think that what he did warrants being kicked from state. I've been called for an illegal crossface before. I did it, the ref stopped the match and awarded my opponent a point, and then we finished the match. I've also been on the other end of an illegal crossface, and the same thing happened. Davis would not have even been DQ'd if Thomson had gotten up and finished the match. So, to say he's lucky to be in the tournament is a little over the top IMO.

Stand-up, I wondered the same thing about Thomson not getting up.  Sounds like there are different opinions of what happened as there should be due to how it was viewed.  I hope at the state tournament, the officials will take a close look at ""aggressive"" actions by the wrestlers and put a stop to it.  Intentionally trying to hurt or payback another wrestler on the mat, as I feel in this case, in my opinion deserves being disqualified..There is no room in this sport for those type of actions as the sport itself is and can be dangerous.  I have no hard feelings towards either wrestler.  I would feel the same if the situation was reversed or were any other wrestlers.  If it had been my son, he would have been done for the year..I personally don't tolerate the tactic. 

Stand-up, I wondered the same thing about Thomson not getting up.  Sounds like there are different opinions of what happened as there should be due to how it was viewed.  I hope at the state tournament, the officials will take a close look at ""aggressive"" actions by the wrestlers and put a stop to it.  Intentionally trying to hurt or payback another wrestler on the mat, as I feel in this case, in my opinion deserves being disqualified..There is no room in this sport for those type of actions as the sport itself is and can be dangerous.  I have no hard feelings towards either wrestler.  I would feel the same if the situation was reversed or were any other wrestlers.  If it had been my son, he would have been done for the year..I personally don't tolerate the tactic. 

Can you honestly say that you wouldn't allow your senior son who is returning state champ and being looked at by many colleges to wrestle at state because he illegally crossfaced a kid?

The rule is that Thomson should've been awarded penalty points. However, since Thomson was unable to continue, the rule is that Davis must be disqualified. If Thomson had continued the match, we would not even be talking about whether or not Davis should wrestle at state.

Bottom line: Davis was DQ'd because he injured his opponent with an illegal move to a point where they could not continue the match. End of Story. That doesn't mean he deserves to be disqualified from competing at state.

Can you honestly say that you wouldn't allow your senior son who is returning state champ and being looked at by many colleges to wrestle at state because he illegally crossfaced a kid?

The rule is that Thomson should've been awarded penalty points. However, since Thomson was unable to continue, the rule is that Davis must be disqualified. If Thomson had continued the match, we would not even be talking about whether or not Davis should wrestle at state.

Bottom line: Davis was DQ'd because he injured his opponent with an illegal move to a point where they could not continue the match. End of Story. That doesn't mean he deserves to be disqualified from competing at state.

ya i agree, i have no personal connections with justin davis but if he was not able to wrestle at state i would be upset. it could dramatically effect his future

ya i agree, i have no personal connections with Justinn davis but if he was not able to wrestle at state i would be upset. it could dramatically effect his future

I am very pleased Justin Davis is wrestling next week. To deprive the 140 wt class with the top ranked wrestler would rob not only Justin the opportunity to possibly repeat, but also rob his competitors from the opportunity to wrestle a champion and possibly fulfil their dreams. The true champion of 140 can now be determined rather than debated.

I am very pleased Justin Davis is wrestling next week. To deprive the 140 wt class with the top ranked wrestler would rob not only Justin the opportunity to possibly repeat, but also rob his competitors from the opportunity to wrestle a champion and possibly fulfil their dreams. The true champion of 140 can now be determined rather than debated.

Never mind that it was in actualality eithe rwrestlers fault.  I blame Cattan.

1.  Davis hits 2-3 hard crossfaces, 2 of which looked like he loaded up.

2. Thomson had Davis tapping the mat like he was goign to pass out

Cattan should have never let it go that far.  He had NO CONTROL over the match, and unfortunately, he got a good kid DQed.  Look at eh bracket at 140.... now davis hits shotwell early.

Never mind that it was in actualality eithe rwrestlers fault.  I blame Cattan.

1.  Davis hits 2-3 hard crossfaces, 2 of which looked like he loaded up.

2. Thomson had Davis tapping the mat like he was goign to pass out

Cattan should have never let it go that far.  He had NO CONTROL over the match, and unfortunately, he got a good kid DQed.  Look at eh bracket at 140.... now davis hits shotwell early.

Not all about blaming the ref, but at least your showing the fault of both wrestlers...like most incidents all parties involved were somewhat to blame.

A returning state champ has a bullseye on his chest everytime he steps on the mat.  He should have had to deal with all year.  Sounds easy to get in his head.  I foresee rough waters ahead!  :-o

I saw a few times where Davis could have (not saying SHOULD, but they were very questionable hits and whatnot) been called for unnecessary roughness. Thomson took a hook to his face, he seemed like he was a bit out of it after the match. Thomson's a tough kid I don't think he'd be the one to back out of a match like some people are suggesting.

Hopefully they will meet up in the finals at state. That wouldn't be a bad match  :-D

I honestly don't think that what he did warrants being kicked from state. I've been called for an illegal crossface before. I did it, the ref stopped the match and awarded my opponent a point, and then we finished the match. I've also been on the other end of an illegal crossface, and the same thing happened. Davis would not have even been DQ'd if Thomson had gotten up and finished the match. So, to say he's lucky to be in the tournament is a little over the top IMO.

I agree, thats taking it too far. Sure he got a bit rough but its wrestling.... Not badminton. They wouldn't take a kid's right to wrestle at state just because of an unnecessary roughness call.

I saw a few times where Davis could have (not saying SHOULD, but they were very questionable hits and whatnot) been called for unnecessary roughness. Thomson took a hook to his face, he seemed like he was a bit out of it after the match. Thomson's a tough kid I don't think he'd be the one to back out of a match like some people are suggesting.

Hopefully they will meet up in the finals at state. That wouldn't be a bad match  :-D

I doubt Davis would have been rough at all had it not been for Thomson's illegal headlock and trying to choke Davis. Something about having your air passages cut off will bring out the worst in a person even it the ref does award you a point. People seem to be giving Thomson a pass but I think he bears some of the responsibility for this match getting out of hand, instead of him being the victim. After watching a video of this match the illegal headlock seemed pretty blatant and Thomson went to a lot of effort to keep it until the ref called him on it so I don't think it was accidental. Both of these young men used poor judgement in this match. Thomson for trying to choke Davis and Davis for trying to retaliate.

yea i have seen davis hit people while winning a match before

I've got no dog in this fight. But, I have to say I am very surprised at what people are saying about Davis. In another thread someone posted he was acting a bit smug on the medal stand. I find this totally out of character from the same kid who was stuck by Paulton last year in a match he was easily winning. After the pin was called he acted like real gentleman and was a model of good sportsmanship. Something that has not always been the norm at Eastern. As for the Thompson, he always seemed like a decent upstanding young man too.

I've got no dog in this fight. But, I have to say I am very surprised at what people are saying about Davis. In another thread someone posted he was acting a bit smug on the medal stand. I find this totally out of character from the same kid who was stuck by Paulton last year in a match he was easily winning. After the pin was called he acted like real gentleman and was a model of good sportsmanship. Something that has not always been the norm at Eastern. As for the Thompson, he always seemed like a decent upstanding young man too.

I think people are making comments who don't know either young man. I know J.D. well, and he is a fine person, always polite, a respected member of the team. I also was there and didn't see anything inappropriate on the podium. Finally, I've reviewed the video of the match. J.D. dominated the match. Thomson didn't have a single offensive point. Then you can clearly see the illegal choke hold Thomson used on Davis and Cattan just standing there while people yelled Thomson was choking him. Finally Cattan broke it up and awarded J.D. a point for the illegal hold. Then J.D.'s two crossfaces, which were no more aggressive than what he does during practice with his teammates. And Cattan awarded a point to Thomson for those but then noticed that Thomson didn't get up. Part of the problem is J.D. has a unique style. He's so quick, like a Tasmanian Devil, and he's incredibly strong.

I don't know why I'm writing this, though. None of it matters. We'll see the action soon enough, and J.D. knows he needs to be careful and reign himself in.

I think people are making comments who don't know either young man. I know J.D. well, and he is a fine person, always polite, a respected member of the team. I also was there and didn't see anything inappropriate on the podium. Finally, I've reviewed the video of the match. J.D. dominated the match. Thomson didn't have a single offensive point. Then you can clearly see the illegal choke hold Thomson used on Davis and Cattan just standing there while people yelled Thomson was choking him. Finally Cattan broke it up and awarded J.D. a point for the illegal hold. Then J.D.'s two crossfaces, which were no more aggressive than what he does during practice with his teammates. And Cattan awarded a point to Thomson for those but then noticed that Thomson didn't get up. Part of the problem is J.D. has a unique style. He's so quick, like a Tasmanian Devil, and he's incredibly strong.

I don't know why I'm writing this, though. None of it matters. We'll see the action soon enough, and J.D. knows he needs to be careful and reign himself in.

Since when is a reversal not an offensive point? 

I didn't know you had to know them to be able to comment. I missed that in the FAQs. My post was regarding other people's comments. I have high opinion of both. They are wrestlers, you know.

Since when is a reversal not an offensive point? 

Maybe MatMama missed a reversal but Davis was ahead by six points and dominated the match before it was stopped. But I think she was trying to make the point that both of the young men are probably very good men who shouldn't be judged by their actions in one match. Anyone who watched the match and hasn't seen these young men in other matches might draw an unfair conclusion about one or the other of them. Those that know Davis are outraged about the choking and those that know Thomson are outraged bu the unnecessary roughness. I hope they do get a rematch so this can be settled.

i have only seen davis wrestle and am very much a fan. im not outraged by the choke though, just the fact he had to lose his regionals match and cost us seeing possibly the best finals match of the year, under the lights.