3/4nelson

REGION 5

Can you elaborate Mamma?

No, I'd rather not be the one to get into it. It was one of those disputed situations. J.D. will be ready for State, going in as a 2 seed. He's still the guy to beat at 140.

Justin Davis was winning by a pretty good margin but he's a very aggressive wrestler as any of his teammates will tell you. When he crossfaced the N. Oldham wrestler it was pretty hard and he didn't get up right away. In fact he didn't get up until DAvis was disqualified. However he looked fine and didn't show any signs of being hurt.

If nobody wants to talk about it, then, why ??  Davis was winning and would have probably won the match unless he made a mistake. 

As a parent from another team (not north oldham) who was watching the match and saw what happened, they were not just cross faces.  In my opinion he lost his composure from a headlock that Thomson put on him that appeared to be restricting his air intake seconds earlier in the match.  He hit Thomson with the left close fist and then even harder with the right closed fist.  A returning State Champ needs to have the composure to compete in these situations, as does any highschool wrestler who gets on the mat. The official was not able to see what happen, but believe me, from the stands several people did including myself.  He(Davis) should have been tossed for that action in my opinion and not allowed to compete at state. As for Thomson not getting back up, I am not so sure if the injury was valid or not, but if the official is going to allow these actions on the mat and not send a message to all the kids it will not be tolerated, then at least awarding the match to Thomson was just .  These kids need to remember this is not MMA and it is highschool wrestling.  There are bigger things in life and more experiences these kids will face in their lives and not wanting to discuss and talk about it is only sweeping under the rug when incidents like this does  occur.  I hope he learns a valuable lesson from his actions as well as officials start paying closer attention to these actions and discipline accordingly.

I find it hard to believe that the referee didn't see it.  If it was the finals match there should have been two refs so one of them should have been able to see it due to positioning.  If they didn't see it then how was it called?  Did the coach point it out?  Just wondering how it came about and if he got disqualified or if he just lost the match due to an illegal move. 

Some of the wrestlers around me that weren't on either team just called it a crossface. I guess depending on where you were sitting and what angle you were watching from you might have seen something different.

It's pretty standard to award a point to the opponent of someone that does something illegal. So there are rules and penalties. But keeping someone from going to state would be extreme. And I don't think the winning the state tournament would carry the same meaning if perhaps one of the best wrestlers in the state didn't participate. How would the champ know if he really was the best? I predict Davis will be a repeat champion!

If nobody wants to talk about it, then, why ??  Davis was winning and would have probably won the match unless he made a mistake. 

As a parent from another team (not north oldham) who was watching the match and saw what happened, they were not just cross faces.  In my opinion he lost his composure from a headlock that Thomson put on him that appeared to be restricting his air intake seconds earlier in the match.  He hit Thomson with the left close fist and then even harder with the right closed fist.  A returning State Champ needs to have the composure to compete in these situations, as does any highschool wrestler who gets on the mat. The official was not able to see what happen, but believe me, from the stands several people did including myself.  He(Davis) should have been tossed for that action in my opinion and not allowed to compete at state. As for Thomson not getting back up, I am not so sure if the injury was valid or not, but if the official is going to allow these actions on the mat and not send a message to all the kids it will not be tolerated, then at least awarding the match to Thomson was just .  These kids need to remember this is not MMA and it is highschool wrestling.  There are bigger things in life and more experiences these kids will face in their lives and not wanting to discuss and talk about it is only sweeping under the rug when incidents like this does  occur.  I hope he learns a valuable lesson from his actions as well as officials start paying closer attention to these actions and discipline accordingly.

Blah, I didn't say I didn't want to talk about it. I said it was a disputed situation, as various people had varied opinions on what happened. From where I was, the people around me watching the match said first that Thomson was choking Davis. Then they said, "Wow, that's a mean crossface." They didn't say "Wow, Davis just hit that guy." And I would add that the people around me were not Eastern parents or fans. In fact, some of then weren't even from Region 5.

The coaches reviewed the video of the match and talked with the ref and determined that awarding the match to Thomson was warranted. That's Davis' consequences. Now he's not undefeated, and he goes to State as a no. 2 seed. I think he did learn a lesson, and, as I said, he'll be ready for State.

You're right that there are bigger things in life and high school wrestling. To have DQed Davis from State would have had a profound effect on his future. He paid for, perhaps, getting too aggressive, and Eastern paid by losing the win and the first place standing in that weight.

Remember the difference between unnecessary roughness vs. unsportmanship and illegal :-D

Has Been, I think that's an important point but also an area that's hugely open for interpretation. I know of a wrestler a few years ago who was slammed so hard in regionals he suffered a mild concussion and was not even awarded a point. Losing that one point cost him the match, besides the fact that he had to continue wrestling injured.

Things like this are a judgement call, and that makes it tough.

I agree, Davis lost his composure and slugged Thompson twice with two very aggressive and very intentional cross-faces.  If I was referring I would have DQ'd him for unsportsmanlike like conduct.  However that didn't happen and Thompson's choice not to continue leaves me with some questions.  Thompson is a very tough kid and I find it hard to believe that he couldn't weather two shots to the head.  Because I'm such a big fan of both young men I guess I'm a little disappointed with both wrestlers, Davis for losing his cool and Thompson for not manning up and finishing the match.  As far as my observation point, I was close enough to hear both pops.

thompson is a baby and can handle a crossface. who cant continue from a crossface. i hope he goes 2 and out at state. Davis will still win state. Grow up thompson

Has Been, I think that's an important point but also an area that's hugely open for interpretation. I know of a wrestler a few years ago who was slammed so hard in regionals he suffered a mild concussion and was not even awarded a point. Losing that one point cost him the match, besides the fact that he had to continue wrestling injured.

Things like this are a judgement call, and that makes it tough.

Section 30 Unnecessary Roughness:

Art. 1 involves physical acts that occurs during wrestling any act which exceeds normal aggressiveness.  It would include but it is not limited to : a forceful application of a crossface.  Penalty point 1 for the violation.

Section 31 Unsportsmanlike Conduct:

Art. 2 Contestants. involves physical or non-physical acts and they can occur before, during, or after a match. Deduct 1 team point.  

thompson is a baby and [glow=red,2,300]can[/glow] handle a crossface. who cant continue from a crossface. i hope he goes 2 and out at state. Davis will still win state. Grow up thompson

u mean can't

I don't know Thompson or Davis other than by name.

Thompson is the region CHAMPION, respect the decision like it or not, it won't change.

i was putting it no to the right  spelling he said he can take a cross face when he meant can't

sometimes the opurtunity of beating a guy like davis on paper may affect your decision making process when it comes to hmmm should I get up and loose or should I just take the easy way out stay down and get the paper victory.  Not saying that is what happened but I have seen people do this and who knows.  I think what determines whos morals are in the right place is did the kid who couldnt get back up during that match wrestle after that?  Or was it the finals.  if he wrestled after that then it makes it seem questionable.  If it was the finals it makes it seem questionable.  There is no good answer here.  It is always a shame when the match cant be clearly decided by the wreslters.  I was not there I do not take sides I am just saying some kids see the oppurtunity and take it.  That being said I dont think this is something that Rob Fulk teaches whatso ever.  I still think 10 times out of ten davis dominates that match.  We will see at state.  Please dont be offended north when I say I have seen it happen I am talking about other schools.  I have nothing but respect for both school involved.  May the best man win at state. 

Come on people were talking about two young men here, two great high school wrestlers.  It's not constructive to wish ill will on any kid, we have all made mistakes and poor decisions.  As a fan of both these young men, I hope they meet in the finals and wrestle one of the best matches of the day.