Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmccoy

KWCA State Duals are Cancelled

Fellas,

I live in a good area (Elizabethtown/Hardin County). I haven't had any electricity or hot water since 9 a.m. Tuesday.

John Hardin and North Hardin high schools don't even have power. Meade County High School has been spotty. There's no kerosene to be found in Meade County or Radcliff and lines were hours (NOT AN EXAGGERATION) long in Elizabethtown.

They've brought in HUNDREDS of people from North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi to help. Today (Friday) was the first time I've seen an RECC/utility person in three days.

You can't find a hotel room 40 miles each way on I-65 and there are thousands without power in Louisville.

As of late Thursday night, there were stretches of I-65 with no lights at all.

This is the biggest power outage IN THE STATE'S HISTORY.

There hasn't been any sporting event - basketball, swimming, wrestling - in my tri-county area since Monday. There's unlikely to be any Saturday.

And it is NOT fair to compare the KWCA Duals to All A Basketball because a lot of the teams missed the storm because they left before it hit.

I doubt any wrestling team left Wednesday or Thursday for Lexington.

Our state is hurting right now.

I now know how Louisville residents felt after that windstorm last summer.

No offense, but wrestling needs to take a backseat.

The last day to make minimum weight is 1-31, will this affect many wrestlers? I know of 2 that planned on dropping down tomarrow.

I don't think it matters.  As long as the descent plan allowed you to make it by 1/31 you can still make it on 2/14.

NWCA says you have to have made min. wt. by week 31 which this year is this week.

You are correct.  I didn't read post right the first time.  I think there were probably a number of teams scrambling to get a meet/weigh-in scheduled tomorrow for that purpose.

Fellas,

I live in a good area (Elizabethtown/Hardin County). I haven't had any electricity or hot water since 9 a.m. Tuesday.

John Hardin and North Hardin high schools don't even have power. Meade County High School has been spotty. There's no kerosene to be found in Meade County or Radcliff and lines were hours (NOT AN EXAGGERATION) long in Elizabethtown.

They've brought in HUNDREDS of people from North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi to help. Today (Friday) was the first time I've seen an RECC/utility person in three days.

You can't find a hotel room 40 miles each way on I-65 and there are thousands without power in Louisville.

As of late Thursday night, there were stretches of I-65 with no lights at all.

This is the biggest power outage IN THE STATE'S HISTORY.

There hasn't been any sporting event - basketball, swimming, wrestling - in my tri-county area since Monday. There's unlikely to be any Saturday.

And it is NOT fair to compare the KWCA Duals to All A Basketball because a lot of the teams missed the storm because they left before it hit.

I doubt any wrestling team left Wednesday or Thursday for Lexington.

Our state is hurting right now.

I now know how Louisville residents felt after that windstorm last summer.

No offense, but wrestling needs to take a backseat.

Well said.

I'm lucky enough to be near a powered computer here for a couple of minutes.

Being one of the coaches that was called for this decision, it was not made hastily.  It was made in the best interest of everyone involved.  As a coach, I for one would not:

A) put my kids on a bus when even the bus depot doesn't have power.

B) put my kids on a bus after not practicing for 4 days

C) put my kids on the bus when 18 of my wrestlers don't have power or water

D) put my kids on the bus when I have a neighborhood to clear out, and so do all my wrestlers.  They're tough strong kids, I told them to get out there and help, which I believe we should all be doing!

For god sakes, I love wrestling, but enough is enough.... our state doesn't need to worry about HS wrestling right now.

I'm just saying, the girls all A basketball tournament with teams from every region has been going on all week.

You're all wrong about the importance of baskball over werstling. The All "A" basketball tournament was able to continue because just about every school was there before the storm hit. I talked to one of the athletic trainers working there and he said it was useless to cancel when the teams were already there. I think there was a bit of a delay but otherwise they were there so go ahead.

Let me first say I am at my job where we have power obviously.

Now let's get to the point.

I am somewhat shocked at the reactions of many of participants and fans of wrestling in KY. I do not understand how we fool ourselves into believing that a "STATE TOURNAMENT" is meaningless. I hope our coaches, ADs, and commissioners have a little more gumption when the individual "STATE TOURNAMENT" comes around. If not, everyone better pray for sunshine and 70 come Feb. 19.

I would hate for something like this to happen to a basketball tourney. Oh wait, it did, and they are still playing. And from what I have been told and visually seen the local basketball teams have been having practice without being in school. As for not rescheduling State Duals, that is just crazy. Basically, we are saying that State Duals is pointless. Why even bother having it next year or the following year?

Lastly, it seems as though State Duals previously was scheduled around Jan 15-20. I may be wrong. If not why was it moved back?

I think the main thing is because so many teams come from areas where they're not going to be on the interstates, parkways, etc. for a long time, the buses might not be too safe. I can understand where they come from but I still would have liked to have gone.

I think some of you (perhaps due to your location) are just not aware of the severity of the storm. There is a reason the president of the US had to issue a National Emergency. Just because you have power and your street is clear means nothing. You have to consider the absolute worst conditions in the state and plan according to those, not the best.

i agree

in union county they wont have school for some of next week

2 out of 3 of their elementary schools are being used as shelters for people without power.

my house has been a bed and breakfast for my family members without power since tuesday

our walmart was closed... thats how bad it was

i'd rather people have heat and water than have the state duals tournament

BigBossMan: Let's look at this another way. If this "State Tournament" was so important, then there would be no other tournament happening in the state when the State Duals were happening. For many it is just another tournament and until we follow the lead of many of the the other states that allow only state duals to happen on state duals weekend (Tennessee for example) it will continue to be just another tournament. If it that important, let's get it state sanctioned and allow only that tournament to happen on that weekend.

I would like to pose a hypothetical; given we are in the middle of the worst snow storm disaster in Kentucky history, if there were a state of emergency declared during the KHSAA tournament forcing a cancellation, would it be reschedulled or just written off?

I am somewhat shocked at the reactions of many of participants and fans of wrestling in KY. I do not understand how we fool ourselves into believing that a "STATE TOURNAMENT" is meaningless.

Who on here said it was "meaningless?" And the real state tournament isn't for another couple of weeks.

I hope our coaches, ADs, and commissioners have a little more gumption when the individual "STATE TOURNAMENT" comes around. If not, everyone better pray for sunshine and 70 come Feb. 19.

If we have another ice storm the week of State, I guaran-dang-tee they will postpone the tournament until the weather is better.

In case you haven't noticed, we were under a state of emergency for two (maybe three days) and there are a lot of parts of the state that still do not have power or water. I'd like to think all sports and everything else can be put on hold while we get our feet back on the ground after the worst ice storm to come through this area in a long damn time.

I would hate for something like this to happen to a basketball tourney. Oh wait, it did, and they are still playing.

As has already been said, the teams in the girls' All A tourney were already in Richmond before the storm hit. What would be the point of canceling that tourney when all teams involved made it?

And from what I have been told and visually seen the local basketball teams have been having practice without being in school.

We're talking about practice, mind you, and not a game. Coaches have been pretty dang lenient about players coming to practice this week given the circumstances, at least in this area.

As for not rescheduling State Duals, that is just crazy. Basically, we are saying that State Duals is pointless.

When would you suggest having it? And what about those teams who went ahead and scheduled other events in the following weekends?

There's no logical way to reschedule the duals until after the state tourney, IMO.

Lastly, it seems as though State Duals previously was scheduled around Jan 15-20. I may be wrong. If not why was it moved back?

If I had to guess, I'd say something was already scheduled for that weekend at the high school. Things like that happen, you know.

I would like to pose a hypothetical; given we are in the middle of the worst snow storm disaster in Kentucky history, if there were a state of emergency declared during the KHSAA tournament forcing a cancellation, would it be reschedulled or just written off?

It would be rescheduled for a later date. And taking into consideration the Civic Center's schedule, the site may have to change as well.

I know the Civic Center is booked well in advance for a lot of things and the state tourney is no different. We can't expect them to be able to host the tourney at a later date because it wouldn't be fair to the people who already reserved the building.

It's run by the coaches association, so if they want to get it done, it will get done. You know the wrestlers want to do it, so put the pressure on the coaches to see if you can get it done. Check the Khsaa rules as well, knowing them, they don't want anything to rival what they are doing (don't want to give money to anyone else) so there may be some rule to kill the idea of rescheduling.

BigBossMan: Let's look at this another way. If this "State Tournament" was so important, then there would be no other tournament happening in the state when the State Duals were happening. For many it is just another tournament and until we follow the lead of many of the the other states that allow only state duals to happen on state duals weekend (Tennessee for example) it will continue to be just another tournament. If it that important, let's get it state sanctioned and allow only that tournament to happen on that weekend.

I disagree about it should be the only tournament happening that weekend. Why should teams be forced to concede one weekend a year when they will never ever be involved with this tourney? 

The "real" state tourney is at the end of the season so wrestlers and teams will not have to compete after this tourney so are not at a disadvantage by not wrestling one weekend and then competing in the next.

Why do we need to make it soooo important?  The teams that participate in the tourney already take it as one of the most important tourneys in their schedule. 

I have coached both type of teams.  Campbell 12 years as an asst. and Holmes for 9 years.  If my kids at Holmes would have had to take that weekend off, the only thing it would have done for them was put them at an even bigger disadvantage then they were already in.  They would never have participated or even spectated the event ($$ and parental support would not allow the later)  But those individuals that could compete in the individual state tourney could participate in another tourney that weekend to still hone and improve their wrestling abilities. 

Since State Duals cant be re-scheduled why not just conduct the tournament with the teams that can attend and donate a portion of the proceeds or take up a collection at the tournament for families in need.

If theres to many teams unable to attend to have the tournament, why not re-schedule it?

It's run by the coaches association, so if they want to get it done, it will get done. You know the wrestlers want to do it, so put the pressure on the coaches to see if you can get it done. Check the Khsaa rules as well, knowing them, they don't want anything to rival what they are doing (don't want to give money to anyone else) so there may be some rule to kill the idea of rescheduling.

Dutch1873, thank you for responding to my hypothetical question. Now, step away from the keyboard and slowly reread the hypothetical. Notice, I was not referring to state duals. State duals are gone, good-bye, see-ya-later, aint happening this year. My question was regarding the KHSAA tournament, you know, the one schedulled in less than 3 weeks in Frankfort at the civic center.  

Since State Duals cant be re-scheduled why not just conduct the tournament with the teams that can attend and donate a portion of the proceeds or take up a collection at the tournament for families in need.

If theres to many teams unable to attend to have the tournament, why not re-schedule it?

This sounds logical to me.  Those teams that can attend should have gone ahead and wrestled.  No harm no foul.  As everyone has said.  This is not "THE STATE TOURNAMENT".  It is a little more than any other tourney held in KY.

If this was not the Kentuck State Duals, would this tourney still be held?  Would Henry Clay still have this tourney if it was the Henry Clay Duals and the same teams were invited? 

I believe they would have held the tourny with whatever teams could make it.  The same should have been done this year.

Dutch1873, thank you for responding to my hypothetical question. Now, step away from the keyboard and slowly reread the hypothetical. Notice, I was not referring to state duals. State duals are gone, good-bye, see-ya-later, aint happening this year. My question was regarding the KHSAA tournament, you know, the one schedulled in less than 3 weeks in Frankfort at the civic center.  

he made a valid point about your hypothetical question.

I second you on that eville dad.  All the teams are responsible for making the call if it's safe for their kids to travel from their location.  If the host school is in good shape, and they still want to host the event...then the show goes on with whoever shows up.