Sign in to follow this  
Guest cmccoy

KWCA State Duals are Cancelled

Guest cmccoy

The KWCA State Duals are cancelled due to the additional snow fall last night. The main concern is the safety of the teams travelling to the competition. At this point, there is no plan to reschedule for this year due to timelines and the upcoming regional tournaments.

I think that this decision to cancel now is ridiculous.  Lexington was much worse during the middle of the week - why didn't they cancel then?  All the main roads in Lexington are drivable and once teams get on the interstates, or the parkways, from whichever directions they come, it is smooth sailing.  I don't know exactly how this decision was made, but I would hope that all coaches were reached for their thoughts on the possibility of cancellation.  I would be willing to bet that a majority, if not all, would have voted to wrestle Saturday....

I think that this decision to cancel now is ridiculous.  Lexington was much worse during the middle of the week - why didn't they cancel then?  All the main roads in Lexington are drivable and once teams get on the interstates, or the parkways, from whichever directions they come, it is smooth sailing.  I don't know exactly how this decision was made, but I would hope that all coaches were reached for their thoughts on the possibility of cancellation.  I would be willing to bet that a majority, if not all, would have voted to wrestle Saturday....

I thought the same thing originally.  But I have heard from a couple coaches and it sounds like parts of the state are still disaster areas.  And I believe a number of the coaches did provide input before this decision was made.

it doesnt matter about lexington its about the people out in the boonies trying to drive to lexington their roads just arent safe

I just drove back to Lexington from Menifee Co. which is very small and the roads are better there than in Lexington, they didn't get half as much. Man, we just got in too, oh well there is always next year. Stay safe everybody

I know there are places in Union County without power. I was told maybe several more days without it. I hate the cancellation of the duals but there are some situations that just come before wrestling. Taking care of a family or even a community would be one of them. There is always next year or maybe even schedule them for the week after the state tourney.

I know there are places in Union County without power. I was told maybe several more days without it. I hate the cancellation of the duals but there are some situations that just come before wrestling. Taking care of a family or even a community would be one of them. There is always next year or maybe even schedule them for the week after the state tourney.

That is also true. Maybe it can be rescheduled.

stay warm people, hope your pipes don't freeze & burst!!  I heard Larue still has a lot of people without power.  Hope you guys get turned back on soon.

Hey Ranger, how about you give us a mock up of how you think state duals would have went?  How do you think the pools would have been aligned?  Who do you think were going to get the top 4 seeds? 

I'm just saying, the girls all A basketball tournament with teams from every region has been going on all week.

nuff said right there!  it would take a terrorist attack to postpone a bball tourney in this state.

I think they made their call too soon.  Who cancelled, Fayette County Schools or KWCA?

The sun is shining, all the main roads are clear, all the Interstate highways are open.

Lets wrestle.

I think some of you (perhaps due to your location) are just not aware of the severity of the storm. There is a reason the president of the US had to issue a National Emergency. Just because you have power and your street is clear means nothing. You have to consider the absolute worst conditions in the state and plan according to those, not the best.

Teams were to travel in from throughout the state.  We need to understand that there is a certain amount of liability assumed when you bless a school bus to travel hours with kids on board when a state of emergency has been declared.....in your area, an area you may travel through etc.  That is a lot of responsibility.  Fayette assumes some responsibility, even if their roads are clear, to allow folks on their parking areas, sidewalks, etc.  These may not have been cleared. yet.  I am not trying to underscore the disappointment, but we need to look at this from all sides. 

But those areas are used to these elements and deal with them better than we do.  They may get a lot more snow than we do, but seldom do they get ice and declare state of emergency......not an apples to apples comparison.

I think some of you (perhaps due to your location) are just not aware of the severity of the storm. There is a reason the president of the US had to issue a National Emergency. Just because you have power and your street is clear means nothing. You have to consider the absolute worst conditions in the state and plan according to those, not the best.

Girls basketball players only live on clear streets with power.