Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings - 2008/2009 PRESEASON OCT 1

Yeah, I know Thomson has been impressive at times, but Bollman stepped it up when it was game time and brought home a medal.  So for now he gets the nod.

I think bollman got the medal because of his draw. Thomson had to go against Sloan or Miller (i can't remember) in his final match at state which was a MAJOR disadvantage. I will have my money on Thomson over Bollman when they meet up this year easy.

Actually Harrison only pinned this year in the finals... He won his first title by a dec... The nex over Sanders by a major 10-1 and pinned this year. And he is not untouchable as some of us like to believe. I believe that Beau led the match 2-1 till the middle of the 2nd when he got put on his back.

bue was a better wrestler on his feet, but the over all class of wrestler was not even close harrison is not closely matched with anyone in the state, maybe if dusty brown, or matt zarth  was his size then he would have a close match, but to say choat is a close match is just an uneducated dream.

Actually Harrison only pinned this year in the finals... He won his first title by a dec... The nex over Sanders by a major 10-1 and pinned this year. And he is not untouchable as some of us like to believe. I believe that Beau led the match 2-1 till the middle of the 2nd when he got put on his back.

I agree he's not untouchable.  :-D  But get on the mat with him and I'll guarantee that it's far from an easy match.  He won't give up an offensive point this year unless he meets some stud from out of state.

Sanders led the match for a few seconds in the first minute of the 1st period . Courtney soon escaped took him down and repeatedly put him to his back in the first and then pinned him like a minute into the second.

Beau Sanders is a great wrestler and certainly deserving of being a state champ under normal circumstances. Having a Harrison Courtney is not a normal circumstance. Harrison is a once in a lifetime or at a minumum, a once in a generation wrestler. Harrison was never in danger of losing any match last year at state. Beau should have been considered the 2nd most valuable wrestler in the state meet last year for simply scoring a point against Harrison. 

Beau Sanders is a great wrestler and certainly deserving of being a state champ under normal circumstances. Having a Harrison Courtney is not a normal circumstance. Harrison is a once in a lifetime or at a minumum, a once in a generation wrestler. Harrison was never in danger of losing any match last year at state. Beau should have been considered the 2nd most valuable wrestler in the state meet last year for simply scoring a point against Harrison. 

i kind of disagree, i feel that if you put harrison into a state like Ohio or Pennsylvania, yes he could still win state and he could be in the top 5, that he would have some trouble and some close matches and most likely not an undefeated record, but if you put bue in such a place he would have tons of trouble trying to place.

and saying bue should be 2nd most valuable is well dumb, putting bue above mason reid or brian peace is well (not to sound like a broken record) dumb

i kind of disagree, i feel that if you put harrison into a state like Ohio or Pennsylvania, yes he could still win state and he could be in the top 5, that he would have some trouble and some close matches and most likely not an undefeated record, but if you put bue in such a place he would have tons of trouble trying to place.

and saying bue should be 2nd most valuable is well dumb, putting bue above mason reid or brian peace is well (not to sound like a broken record) dumb

My comment about Sanders being 2nd MVW was a joke, an indirect way to bolster my point about Courtney being so good. Perhaps the "dumb" person is the one who doesn't under satire.

My comment about Harrison being a generational wrestler applies to Ky at this point. I honestly can't tell you, on a first hand basis, what wrestling is like in these other states.

My comment about Sanders being 2nd MVW was a joke, an indirect way to bolster my point about Courtney being so good. Perhaps the "dumb" person is the one who doesn't under satire.

My comment about Harrison being a generational wrestler applies to Ky at this point. I honestly can't tell you, on a first hand basis, what wrestling is like in these other states.

no worry i wasnt meaning to call you dumb, just was saying that in a literal sense that your statement was dumb, but i see what you are saying and i kind of agree

I don't want to put Kentucky wrestling down because I am a product of the state.  However I can tell you that Ohio and Pennsylvania are significantly ahead of Kentucky.  I mention these two states because maybe half my college team was from one of the two.  Many of their state qualifiers would be Kentucky state champs.  Now they are two of the three best states in the country year in year out, we're closer to states like WV and TN but still probably behind them too.  For example, I wrestled with a kid in college, two years younger than me, who beat Jacob Murton in high school.  As we all know, Murton came to Kentucky after placing fifth in Ohio as a freshman, and dominated the state all three years he was here.  The kid I was in college with only placed his senior year, 5th, but was a 4x national qualifier in college (Division II).  Had he not been so lazy he would have definitely been an All-American.

1 Wood Co Harrison Courtney 12

2 PRP Dakoda Choate 12

3 Bull Cen Jeremiah Walls 12

4 Cam Co Jake Lee 11

5 JH Chris Pitcher 12

6 Lar Co Bernard Ray 9

7 Sen Lofton Wright 11

8 SO Spencer Warren 11

9 SC Austin Stepp 10

10 St X David George 12

11 Tri Dylan Harbolt 11

12 Chr Co Calvin McNeeley 12

13 Con Preston Adams 12

14 Cald Co Gavin Agnew 11

15 Meade Tanner Cole 12

16 Fr Co Josh Broning

17 Ft Knox Brian Frazier 11

18 Har Co Seth Coy 12

19 Ryle Josh Parker

20 NO Kyle Forbes 12

1 Tri Brad Hitchings 11

2 SC Brad Stafford 11

3 Cam Co Nathan Ilg 11

4 Irq Alex Meads 12

5 Ft Knox Sean Garcia-Chavez 12

6 NH Marcell Haynes 12

7 PRP Dusty Stengel 12

8 Ohio Co Jordan Woolen 12

9 Old Co Taylor Menard 12

10 Fr Co Jeremy Gardner 11

11 PD Nick Leddy 12

12 UH Austin Connor 12

13 Way Co Billy Floyd 12

14 Un Co Tim McKenney 10

15 And Co Marcus White 11

16 Mc Cen James Ball 11

17 Fair Tyler Cusack 12

18 Sou Evan Decker 11

19 Hop Darrick Dillard 12

20 Laf Dusty Thompson 11

Ok, so first of all Dakoda Choate isnt NOT, i repeat NOT second in state, considering he won state last year, where the crap did you get that?!?!?!?!? Second of all tyler cusack isnt 17th, where did you get that?! hes good but not that good. And Wes Lewis does NOT go to prp. he goes to Doss. Get your stuff straight! As a prp student I know for a fact he doesnt go to prp, thank you.

hahahahaha um yes harrison courtney is ranked number 1 because he is a 3 time state champ and no one in kentucky will touch him.... Choate is a good wrestler but in my opinion he got really really lucky at state, but you have to remember hes only won once.... last year a defending state champ didnt evn place at state so what do you think a one timer is going to do vs a 3 timer.... no brainer here man ... ill be suprised if choate even makes it to the finals with harrison.... and even if me does im predicting a pin just like the previous 2 years... except this time in the first period... harrison is the true example of heart and determination and i dont think anyone in kentucky can touch him or will for tat matter

I agree with this guy, Choate did get lucky i dont think he should of beat that Harrison County kid and no one will touch Harrison Courtney this year for sure.

I don't want to put Kentucky wrestling down because I am a product of the state.  However I can tell you that Ohio and Pennsylvania are significantly ahead of Kentucky.  I mention these two states because maybe half my college team was from one of the two.  Many of their state qualifiers would be Kentucky state champs.  Now they are two of the three best states in the country year in year out, we're closer to states like WV and TN but still probably behind them too.  For example, I wrestled with a kid in college, two years younger than me, who beat Jacob Murton in high school.  As we all know, Murton came to Kentucky after placing fifth in Ohio as a freshman, and dominated the state all three years he was here.  The kid I was in college with only placed his senior year, 5th, but was a 4x national qualifier in college (Division II).  Had he not been so lazy he would have definitely been an All-American.

umm i wrestled a guy who placed 5th in ohio and beat him!

WHAT!?!?!

Everyone knows that Ashbrook was far more the better wrestler that match... Look at what he did the next two matches when he was in a good state of mind... Pinning Vaughn in under a minute and almost tech falling Trent Webb... If i recall Trent Webb teched Choate earlier in the season... The match with ashbrook and choate was horrible... Worst match of ashbrooks that season and it came at the wrong time. But its over now and nothin can be done about it.

How a person does in high school does not necessarily correlate to how a person will do in college, and vice versa. Likewise, how someone did as a freshman doesn't correlate to what they will do later. Some kids blossom early while others are later. Travis Sullivan blossomed very early, as a freshman he easily pinned every opponent I believe in the first or second period of the state tournament. As other kids developed, he struggled a little more as the years progressed. There are kids wrestling in Ky who got 3rd as a 7th grader and after several years of returning to the tournament still haven't gotten close to the 3rd place spot.

I believe Cal Sanderson won state once or twice????? 

umm i wrestled a guy who placed 5th in ohio and beat him!

Good for you, and I mean that seriously.  A question though.  Do you happen to know what division he was wrestled in Ohio?  I have heard from many that DI is much different than DIII, just like college.  Either way it was probably a good win.

I don't think Sullivan is a good example, and this has been discussed many times on here, he wrestled almost completely freshman and sophomores his whole career.  I'd be willing to bet, although I don't know him that well, that he got lazy as his career went on because he was winning so much.  By the way who are you referring to that got 3rd as a 7th grader.  I don't recall anybody placing in 7th grade other than Courtney and he got 8th at 119.

Choate didn't get lucky, I believe you have to be ready for your opportunities when they come along.  However Ashbrook wrestled a HORRIBLE match, definitely not what he was capable of.  Ashbrook was definitely the best wrestler at 152 last year but he didn't wrestle well when it counted so I give props to Choate.  However I firmly believe that Courtney will dominate him if they wrestle this year.

By the way Sanderson was a 4x champ in high school and was on the Dream Team.  He also won Senior Nationals.

People forget that Choate was hurt almost all of last year.  Anybody that was around him knows that last year was a pretty hard year both mentally and physically.  Before his junior season his only losses came from Wolfsifer(sp?).  I believe that he finally started wrestling decent at state, and that is where it counted.  I wouldnt say he got lucky.  I am not saying that he will beat Courtney.  Courtney is one of the best I have seen come through Ky in a while, and I have a lot of respect for him.  I do believe that it will be closer then some think however.  Choates style of wrestling keeps matches close, but he will need to improve drastically to beat Courtney.  It definitely is not impossible.  For some reason I say they end up in different weight classes and Dusty Stengel pins Courtney.

For some reason I say they end up in different weight classes and Dusty Stengel pins Courtney.

To be honest with you, this is the only likely scenerio that I see playing itself out.

wow so i want to reply to alot of what was said but it would take way to much effort

so i say, choat won deal with it (even though i think it stinks)

courtney is the best pouund for pound wrestler in the state.

and lastly i cant wait to eat some walking tacos!

People forget that Choate was hurt almost all of last year.  Anybody that was around him knows that last year was a pretty hard year both mentally and physically.  Before his junior season his only losses came from Wolfsifer(sp?).  I believe that he finally started wrestling decent at state, and that is where it counted.  I wouldnt say he got lucky.  I am not saying that he will beat Courtney.  Courtney is one of the best I have seen come through Ky in a while, and I have a lot of respect for him.  I do believe that it will be closer then some think however.  Choates style of wrestling keeps matches close, but he will need to improve drastically to beat Courtney.  It definitely is not impossible.  For some reason I say they end up in different weight classes and Dusty Stengel pins Courtney.

Did you make a mistake in that last sentence or is that what you meant?  Who is Dusty Stengel?

Did you make a mistake in that last sentence or is that what you meant?  Who is Dusty Stengel?

The man, the myth, the legend.  Who doesnt know who Dusty Stengel is? 

Everyone knows that Ashbrook was far more the better wrestler that match... Look at what he did the next two matches when he was in a good state of mind... Pinning Vaughn in under a minute and almost tech falling Trent Webb... If i recall Trent Webb teched Choate earlier in the season... The match with ashbrook and choate was horrible... Worst match of ashbrooks that season and it came at the wrong time. But its over now and nothin can be done about it.

Ashbrook is a good wrestler but choate won. and if your basing whose better by there match against trent webb then Sam Isaacs teched trent webb in 30 sec in the secound round. Choate couldnt beat Harrison tho. Choate is a good wrestler but he is a low score defensive wrestler. and i dont think his defense could compare to Harrisons attack.

ooh yea. Sam Isaacs got cheated in the state finals. Giving a point for pushin out of bounds. He was holding on as dakota ran out. They should of let them wrestle. to win a state finals like that is wack.

I believe Harrison will be a 52 tho. and they wont ever wrestle.