Sign in to follow this  
bobbythebrick101

Regional seeding?

I don't recall exactly, but there are many criteria for seeding.

1:  match results (wrestler A has beat wrestler B so wrestler A should be seeded above wrestler B)

2:  common opponent (wrestler A has beat wrestler C, whereas wrestler B has lost to wrestler C)

3:  Past placement (wrestler A placed higher than wrestler B in same tournament -hopefully same weight)

4:  Best record (wrestler A has a better record than wrestler B)

5:  Flip a coin

A region has the option of setting their criteria for seeding.

If a region does not have an adopted criteria they are to use the criteria in the KHSAA handbook.

I believe it is in this order,  I'm not positive on this, Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Head to Head

2. Record vs common opponents

3. Best overall record

4. Record vs acknowledged strong opponents

5. Returning champion at the same weight

Again, you can look this up at khsaa.org

Why are regions seeded but not State?

Probably because it would be too hard to seed 32 kids.  Top 4 and bottom 4 would be pretty easy but the middle 24 would be a crapshoot. 

I've sat in on a few seeding meetings with 10 kids, I couldn't imagine 32 coaches arguing for their kid to get the 16 seed instead of 17 so he wouldn't be on the same side as the #1.

Probably because it would be too hard to seed 32 kids.  Top 4 and bottom 4 would be pretty easy but the middle 24 would be a crapshoot. 

I've sat in on a few seeding meetings with 10 kids, I couldn't imagine 32 coaches arguing for their kid to get the 16 seed instead of 17 so he wouldn't be on the same side as the #1.

This has been discussed in the past.  It wouldn't really be that hard.  You only seed the 8 region champs and then the rest of the bracket falls into place.

Tennessee seeds each of its regional champions. How hard would it be to seed our 8 regional champions then random draw everyone else?

You would run into the issue of some of the best kids being in the same region. You'd still have top kids facing in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. You can't do it. Seeding the regional champs wouldn't work. The theory sounds great, but it would never work. 

A region has the option of setting their criteria for seeding.

If a region does not have an adopted criteria they are to use the criteria in the KHSAA handbook.

I believe it is in this order,  I'm not positive on this, Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Head to Head

2. Record vs common opponents

3. Best overall record

4. Record vs acknowledged strong opponents

5. Returning champion at the same weight

Again, you can look this up at khsaa.org

Sometimes these methods are abandoned and some bad seeding occurs. Region 5 had some questionable seeding this year. Some of the finals matches weren't as good as the semis.

In one weight class the 4th place seed actually placed higher than the 2nd and 3rd place seed in a tournament. Wrestled a close match with the eventual champ in the semis. The runner up scored no offensive points in the finals.

You would run into the issue of some of the best kids being in the same region. You'd still have top kids facing in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. You can't do it. Seeding the regional champs wouldn't work. The theory sounds great, but it would never work.

But shouldn't the best kids be the ones that actually won region? And to not come up with some type of seeding system will just lead to more matches that should be finals matches wrestled in the Quarters and Semis. I beleive a committee, with no formal ties to any schools involved could be form to seed based on a preset criteria. I say to do something is better than what we have now.

But shouldn't the best kids be the ones that actually won region? And to not come up with some type of seeding system will just lead to more matches that should be finals matches wrestled in the Quarters and Semis. I beleive a committee, with no formal ties to any schools involved could be form to seed based on a preset criteria. I say to do something is better than what we have now.

true, even if they seed the top 4 region winners