Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

Regions 3,4 & 5; same day, same place, same time

All three Metro Louisville regions (including Bullitt, Meade and Oldham Counties) will have their regional tournaments on Feb. 9th at Hoops House of Basketball in Jeffersontown.  This is a first for wrestling in Kentucky.  The facility will hold 10+ mats and can hold 3200 in attendance.  Think about it, 3 region tournaments going on at the same time.  This place is going to be electric.  What are everyone's thoughts?

It was supposed to be KSB's turn to host our region, but they weren't going to be able to so it would rotate to us but then we were told about this about two months ago that they were all being done at the same time.  It sounds like a neat idea even though we were really wanting to host it.

It was supposed to be KSB's turn to host our region, but they weren't going to be able to so it would rotate to us but then we were told about this about two months ago that they were all being done at the same time.  It sounds like a neat idea even though we were really wanting to host it.

This is literally the first I've heard of it.  Neat idea, i guess, but we're planning on holding Region 5 at North Oldham on Feb 9th.

sounds like a great idea, maybe in the future other regions could do the same...

oh its always about money these days. Lets get over the issue of a dollar bill and just wrestle.

sounds like a great idea, maybe in the future other regions could do the same...

oh its always about money these days. Lets get over the issue of a dollar bill and just wrestle.

Sounds like a great idea.  Ever run a program where you have to come up with the funding?  Keeping the regionals at the schools means things like concession money, t shirt money, etc.  Not to mention it should be a pride thing, hosting a regional.  This is our first one at North on Feb 9th and we're looking forward to it.  Not only as a fund raiser so we can buy new mats, but because it's at home, our crowd, our event.

What has Hoops ever done for anyone?

They are doing this to try and draw more attention to the sport of wrestling.  The metro county athletic directors got together and decided to do this.  Most of the coaches did not find out until the seeding meeting last Thursday for the JCTC.  This is a great idea.  How the finances are going to be handled is beyond me.  I can't imagine they will cut out a school who was supposed to host their given regional completely.  I'm sure they will still let them do t-shirt sales for each region & probably will get a portion of the concessions.  We will see how they handle all that later.

I don't think this is going to happen.  Sounds like a rumor or someones wishful thinking.  No one knows about it.  The host of one of those regions has posted he hasn't heard about it.  Come on.  Give us a break.  Some not so bright people are going to show up there.

No, this is a definite as confirmed by the metro county athletic directors.  Like I said, the coaches were not made aware of this until the seeding meeting for the JCTC on Thursday.  It was a shock to all of us.  Scott Greenwald, the AD from Seneca confirmed it to us.

This is not region duals, it is the regional championship!  Individual for state not team.

See I didn't get that.  Saw Feb 9th and thought Jan 9th.  My mistake.

Love the idea.  Hope it works out.  Do they have enough seating for the event.

The seating capacity is supposed to be 3,200, which should be enough to hold the event.  They have multiple basketball courts on which to place mats so there are supposed to be 10 mats running simultaneously.  The logistics I'm sure have already been worked out, but many of the coaches are still not aware of what they are.  I don't know if they will designate these 3 mats for Region 3 & those 3 mats for Region 4, etc.  I hope this helps to generate the interest in wrestling for the Jefferson Co. area that they hope it will.  If the interest is anything like what it was at the JCTC it will fail.  Hopefully not, but the support at the JCTC was very poor overall, but we'll see what this event generates.

All three Metro Louisville regions (including Bullitt, Meade and Oldham Counties) will have their regional tournaments on Feb. 9th at Hoops House of Basketball in Jeffersontown.  This is a first for wrestling in Kentucky.  The facility will hold 10+ mats and can hold 3200 in attendance.  Think about it, 3 region tournaments going on at the same time.  This place is going to be electric.  What are everyone's thoughts?

1st question.  Are all the wrestling schools part of the Metro county AD? It is obvious that Oldham Co. is not part of this. 

2nd question.  Why is it being held at a place called "HOOPS HOUSE OF BASKETBALL"? 

At first glance this seems to be a good idea.  get all the teams together for one huge event.

After thinking about it, I don't believe it is a good idea.  The regional tournament is not only to qualify individuals for the state tourney.  It is also used to build interest in your individual region.  By combining 3 regions there is no spotlight on an individual region.

As NOHS stated.  Not only is this a big money maker for the hosting school, but it also sparks interest at the school in which it is being held.  When wrestling occurs at your school, there is a higher chance of parents and students that are not affiliated with wrestling to come to the event. This sparks interest at the school.  This is why the regional tourneys are on a rotation and not always in one location. 

For Jefferson Co. this is a simple solution, probably more for cost than to spark interest.  But those schools in the region that are not part of Jefferson Co. seem to be left out of the decision.

Is this what is truly what is best for wrestling or is this just another way for schools to keep wrestling from getting the spotlight at their school?

Alright, per my AD:

Region 5 will be at North.  Jeff Co Regions 3 and 4 were not given a choice for where they held their regions.  Since Region 5 was to be held at North, we were given the choice. 

We will remain at the school.  Region 5 stays at North Oldham this year.

I really dont see the benefit of having 3 regions in one place.

The regions usually is a short tournament finishing around 6-7:00.

I wish more tournaments were like this.