Sign in to follow this  
Guest 103GBM?

Body Fat %

umm... i was talkin to my coach at practice today about the body fat rules, he said you get a set weight monday and if you are more than 3.5 pounds under that you are ineligble to wrestle that tourney for that week, like if someone came in on monday at 183.5 if he was under 180 on saturday he was ineligble for that tourney, is this true?

Guest wrestler92

It should be something like that but last year there wasn't any type of penalty for being under the weight you were allowed to be at.  It would be more a percentage than an actual weight amount.  a heavy guy would have more weight he could lose in a week than a light weight would.  I haven't heard if it is going to be any penalty this year or enforced at all....I did see this weekend at western hills there were about 4 guys that were more than 3 pounds under the weight they were supposed to be at for this week. one was about 6 pounds under!!

umm... i was talkin to my coach at practice today about the body fat rules, he said you get a set weight monday and if you are more than 3.5 pounds under that you are ineligble to wrestle that tourney for that week, like if someone came in on monday at 183.5 if he was under 180 on saturday he was ineligble for that tourney, is this true?

Isn't there a rule now that you can only lose 2 lbs per week and they are actually enforcing it now?

My body fat was 7.2% at 21.3 when I did it (said I could only go down as far as 117 lbs)

The rule is 1.5% of your body weight per week so it will vary depending on your initial assessment weight.  For example a HWT can lose more per week than a 119 based on the 1.5%.  The rule was actually in place last year, but there were misunderstandings and confusion so there was some leniency.  However, this year with the program now being a year older, there isn't.

this body fat test thing is very hard to compete with i mean i have no worries but many of our lower weight wrestler have to watch what they weigh at every weigh in to prevent the body fat test from recalculating and causes them to not be able to drop to their desired weight class for a longer amount of time...

I think the key is regardless of your wt., you will not be able to wrestle a wt. class below what your form is telling you you are eligible for.  the whole goal is to stop drastic drops in wt.  Example before these tests, I could wrestle 152 (weighing 150) on Wed. and drop to 145 for the Saturday tournament.

yeah i do understand its reasoning but when you wrestle twice a week it makes it very difficult to cut at alkl and you have to constently be worried about how the computer will turn out on how low you can go at the next weigh in...

all wrestlers need to know a true olympic training body fat measurement is a total of 7 measurements and has a 3% error factor with the kywsa progam its hard to tell . At the olympic training center the last week of octI measured 6.9% at 147.4

when you wrestle twice a week it makes it very difficult to cut at all and you have to constantly be worried about how the computer will turn out on how low you can go at the next weigh in...

Here is what I don't understand.  Why is this such a big deal?  When I wrestled you made the wt. class your first time and you continued to make this wt. class every time.

If wrestlers continue to do this then there is no worry as to what the computer will recalculate at. I know the first time making it may be latter in the year because of the chart.  If I was coaching I would do the test as early as I can so they would have plenty of time to make the weight for the first match of the year.

If I was coaching I would do the test as early as I can so they would have plenty of time to make the weight for the first match of the year.

Or you could have everyone get to their final weight before the body fat test.  If you are not there by the test you don't go down.  I think that would settle everything.

i didnt know that they changed the scratch weight rule. that's completely stupid. if you wrestle the 125 pount weight class you should have to bust your ass and make weight at least once to be eligible to wrestle that weight. im assuming since that changed then you dont have to have half of your matches at the weight you want to wrestle at regionals/state either do you?

No, there is no more 1/2 your matches at your weight class rule.  My understanding is you have to make your scratch weight once by the weekend of state duals to be eligible to wrestle that weight class.  So for example, you can either make 125 before Christmas or 127 sometime after Christmas but it has to be done before state duals.

No, there is no more 1/2 your matches at your weight class rule.  My understanding is you have to make your scratch weight once by the weekend of state duals to be eligible to wrestle that weight class.  So for example, you can either make 125 before Christmas or 127 sometime after Christmas but it has to be done before state duals.

I believe that is correct.

These rules will make your head spin. If you make weight for a certain class you should wrestle it. That's why nobody is where they want and some people are wrestling one or two weights about what they really weigh.