Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

Re-alignment???

Guest wrestler92

we would have had a 245 as well, it's a good median between 215 and the big boys.

Well guys I got my answer back today from the man himself 

Quote:You have been given some terribly incorrect information. The National Federation held their rules meeting in March to detemine next year's rules, and there will be no changes in the weight classes for our state or any other for the coming year.

So that's it for this coming year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well guys I got my answer back today from the man himself 

Quote:You have been given some terribly incorrect information. The National Federation held their rules meeting in March to detemine next year's rules, and there will be no changes in the weight classes for our state or any other for the coming year.

So that's it for this coming year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how one might contact someone with the "National Federation" so as to change thier minds.(some day)

I think these are the best way to go. 

105                            189

112                            210

119                            235/240

125                            285

Wishfull thinking I guess....It just seems like this should have happened a long time ago,  for the saftey of the wrestlers at those upper weights.  Just my opinion....

"The biggest issue I have right now is the very very small brackets in region 3 (west Jeff) compared to everyone else in the state. With the growth of wrestling in West KY, realignment is inevitable. I think you could make two very good regions out of Jefferson County (without the surrounding counties), and keep travel down for those schools while maximizing their ability to generate some revenue by hosting. But only time will tell."    ----  Jullian Tacket

What the heck is Jullian Tacket talking about, Region 3 has 12 teams in their region and the talent level is very much on the rise.  And trying to split Jeff Co. into two regions would be ridiculous.  There are 24 teams in Jeff Co. right now, Butler will be starting a team soon and their is a private school that is also planning on starting a team.   The best thing to do would be two move a couple of teams out of region 3 and into region 5 where there is only 8 teams, if you count J-town which only had two kids at regionals last year and KCD who had 7 kids at Regionals.

"The biggest issue I have right now is the very very small brackets in region 3 (west Jeff) compared to everyone else in the state. With the growth of wrestling in West KY, realignment is inevitable. I think you could make two very good regions out of Jefferson County (without the surrounding counties), and keep travel down for those schools while maximizing their ability to generate some revenue by hosting. But only time will tell."    ----  Jullian Tacket

What the hell is Jullian Tacket talking about, Region 3 has 12 teams in their region and the talent level is very much on the rise.  And trying to split Jeff Co. into two regions would be ridiculous.  There are 24 teams in Jeff Co. right now, Butler will be starting a team soon and their is a private school that is also planning on starting a team.   The best thing to do would be two move a couple of teams out of region 3 and into region 5 where there is only 8 teams, if you count J-town which only had two kids at regionals last year and KCD who had 7 kids at Regionals.

True, if any region has small brackets it's region 5. There were some weight classes such as heavyweight and 103 where the kids already knew they were going to state the week of regionals because there were only four kids in the bracket

Jullian's comment was probably meant as a historical reference.  But I would agree that Region 5 is the real disappointment.  When was the last time more than 4 heavies showed up at the regional tournament for region 5?

I won't share everything, but I've put together a little realignment of my own based on scoring at the state tournament over the last 5-7 years.  Basically, I would move a team like St X to Region 3 (I know Trinity would hate that) and let Meade go to Region 2.  Then shift a couple teams from Region 5 (Fern Creek, J-town) to Region 4.  Move Woodford and the Franklin Co teams to Region 5.  And shift one of the top Region 6 teams (Campbell Co probably) to Region 7 to fill the void left by Woodford.  Just a thought to even things up a bit.

Jullian's comment was probably meant as a historical reference.  But I would agree that Region 5 is the real disappointment.  When was the last time more than 4 heavies showed up at the regional tournament for region 5?

I won't share everything, but I've put together a little realignment of my own based on scoring at the state tournament over the last 5-7 years.  Basically, I would move a team like St X to Region 3 (I know Trinity would hate that) and let Meade go to Region 2.  Then shift a couple teams from Region 5 (Fern Creek, J-town) to Region 4.  Move Woodford and the Franklin Co teams to Region 5.  And shift one of the top Region 6 teams (Campbell Co probably) to Region 7 to fill the void left by Woodford.  Just a thought to even things up a bit.

Ranger,

Is there anyway you can become a wrestling board member?  We need someone with your insight and experience to represent us in frankfort.  How many board members have ever wrestled, coached or refereed? where as, you have done all three all over ther state.  I'm sure you have plenty on your plate, but we are obviously going through a growing phase and need someone who can help steer us in the right direction.  You know I"m full of crap most of the time, but I'm really serious about this.  You should check into it.  All in favor say  I !!!

Ranger,

Is there anyway you can become a wrestling board member?  We need someone with your insight and experience to represent us in frankfort.  How many board members have ever wrestled, coached or refereed? where as, you have done all three all over ther state.  I'm sure you have plenty on your plate, but we are obviously going through a growing phase and need someone who can help steer us in the right direction.   You know I"m full of crap most of the time, but I'm really serious about this.  You should check into it.  All in favor say  I !!!

I

I too have been thinking alot about this and have come up with an OPINION on what the revised allignment could look like.  Here Goes!!

Region 1

Apollo

Caldwell Co.

Calloway Co.

Christian Co.

Ft. Campbell

Henderson Co.

Hopkinsville

Paducah Tilghman

Union Co.

University Heights

Region 2

Bullitt Central

Central Hardin

Daviess Co.

Ft. Knox

John Hardin

Larue Co.

Meade Co.

Nelson Co.

North Hardin

Ohio Co.

Region 3

Atherton

Butler

Desales

Doss

Fairdale

Holy Cross

Iroquois

PRP

Moore

Southern

Valley

Western

Region 4

Ballard

Central

Eastern

Fern Creek

Jeffersontown

KCD

KSB

Manual

Seneca

St. Xavier

Shawnee

Trinity

Region 5

Anderson Co.

Danville

Franklin Co.

Harrison Co.

Montgomery Co.

North Oldham

Oldham Co.

South Oldham

Region 6

Boone Co.

Campbell Co.

Conner

Dixie Heights

Holmes

Newport

Ryle

Scott

Simon Kenton

Region 7

Bourbon Co.

Bryan Station

Henry Clay

Lafayette

Paul Dunbar

Tates Creek

Western Hills

Woodford Co.

Region 8

Ashland Blazer

Johnson Central

Lawrence Co.

Letcher Co. Central

McCreary Co. Central

Perry Co. Central

Pike Co. Central

Prestonsburg

Sheldon Clark

Wayne Co.

Whitley Co.

OH OH looks like I'm gonna loose some more points on this comment. But......

Ranger there is no way you can realign based on strength of team.  

You have got to base the change on geography and balancing the regions by number of participants.

(I don't see Campbell as a power for at least another year or two)

Moving a region 6 team to region 7 is ludicrous.  Region 6 only has 9 (since Boone seems to be coming aboard) teams to begin with.  You can't expect Campbell to travel to Lex (1 1/2 to 2 hour drive) for regional duals and such.  

(Now I'm speaking of the top of my head now)

If anything move Harrison Co. to Region 6 along with maybe some of the Oldham Co's to bust up region 5.  That would give region 6 around 11 teams to go along with region 7 and the new formed region 3-5 which should include some region 7 teams.

Harrison would have to travel at most 1 1/2 hours to Conner.

Harrison would only travel 1 hour to get to campbell or SK.

The oldhams the same if going to Campbell or maybe Newport.

If the Oldhams go to Ryle or SK the travel is probably 1 hour.

Ranger, I've gotta go with Shofner on this one... knowing you, there'd be some good changes in KY wrestling with you on the board.

Ranger,

Is there anyway you can become a wrestling board member?  We need someone with your insight and experience to represent us in frankfort.  How many board members have ever wrestled, coached or refereed? where as, you have done all three all over ther state.  I'm sure you have plenty on your plate, but we are obviously going through a growing phase and need someone who can help steer us in the right direction.   You know I"m full of crap most of the time, but I'm really serious about this.  You should check into it.  All in favor say  I !!!

I believe all the wrestling board members have wrestled and are coaches.

I'm not sure how long some of you have been around but since Julian Thacket has taken over there have been major changes in wrestling.

I don't agree with everything Mr. Thacket has done, but he has ruffled the leaves so to speak.  Before he took over the head man never wrestled or new anything about it.  He did nothing.  The state tourney was at a High school.  No rules interpretation meetings, no gathering of the minds to produce more insight. Let alone the push for more wrestling in the state.

realignment is a difficult issue.  Teams/schools don't like change especially if it moves them away from school rivals that cross into other sports. Or make them travel farther.  Regions 1, 6, and 8 really cannot be changed much because of there geographic location.

As for Ranger on the board, it might be interesting to have someone who is not in line with the rest of the bunch.  I believe Mr. Matney may have been the last one of those. (Sorry ranger)

I really think all these ideas are great. But I believe nothing will change this year. I think maybe next year you may see some realignments and maybe weight change. I think for the up coming year everything will be as it has been

OH OH looks like I'm gonna loose some more points on this comment. But......

Ranger there is no way you can realign based on strength of team.  

You have got to base the change on geography and balancing the regions by number of participants.

(I don't see Campbell as a power for at least another year or two)

Moving a region 6 team to region 7 is ludicrous.  Region 6 only has 9 (since Boone seems to be coming aboard) teams to begin with.  You can't expect Campbell to travel to Lex (1 1/2 to 2 hour drive) for regional duals and such.  

(Now I'm speaking of the top of my head now)

If anything move Harrison Co. to Region 6 along with maybe some of the Oldham Co's to bust up region 5.  That would give region 6 around 11 teams to go along with region 7 and the new formed region 3-5 which should include some region 7 teams.

Harrison would have to travel at most 1 1/2 hours to Conner.

Harrison would only travel 1 hour to get to campbell or SK.

The oldhams the same if going to Campbell or maybe Newport.

If the Oldhams go to Ryle or SK the travel is probably 1 hour.

I agree it would be a difficult move for a region 6 team, but Campbell is the obvious choice for it to me (objectively).  The travel for duals could be set up so it wasn't that big a deal.  A trip or two to Lexington for a couple tri meets and a trip to Cynthiana every other year.  Why would you move more teams into region 6?  Region 6 has strong teams and with growth (Newport and Boone recently) the numbers will be fine.  And I disagree about aligning purely on geography.  I think this has to be the primary focus in alignment, but overall strength has to be considered.

Ranger,

You got kids winning matches at the state tournament.  There's got to be something good along with that load of crap.  HA!HA!HA!

I believe all the wrestling board members have wrestled and are coaches.

I'm not sure how long some of you have been around but since Julian Thacket has taken over there have been major changes in wrestling.

I don't agree with everything Mr. Thacket has done, but he has ruffled the leaves so to speak.  Before he took over the head man never wrestled or new anything about it.  He did nothing.  The state tourney was at a High school.  No rules interpretation meetings, no gathering of the minds to produce more insight. Let alone the push for more wrestling in the state.

realignment is a difficult issue.  Teams/schools don't like change especially if it moves them away from school rivals that cross into other sports. Or make them travel farther.  Regions 1, 6, and 8 really cannot be changed much because of there geographic location.

As for Ranger on the board, it might be interesting to have someone who is not in line with the rest of the bunch.  I believe Mr. Matney may have been the last one of those. (Sorry ranger)

I think you are right grappler.  Jullian is all for doing what we need to do to be successfull and grow the sport.  But he needs to get some direction, more input, and support from the coaches around the state and more importantly the coaches association as an organization.  Then the coaches need to get their administrators informed about the issues and supportive of the ideas when they are asked for their input.

Guest wrestler92

Your region 4 in your realignment is way tougher than the region 5 is from jefferson county...st. x, trinity, seneca, eastern, central...that's way tougher than the other side would be.....

I too have been thinking alot about this and have come up with an OPINION on what the revised allignment could look like.  Here Goes!!

Region 1

Apollo

Caldwell Co.

Calloway Co.

Christian Co.

Ft. Campbell

Henderson Co.

Hopkinsville

Paducah Tilghman

Union Co.

University Heights

Region 2

Bullitt Central

Central Hardin

Daviess Co.

Ft. Knox

John Hardin

Larue Co.

Meade Co.

Nelson Co.

North Hardin

Ohio Co.

Region 3

Atherton

Butler

Desales

Doss

Fairdale

Holy Cross

Iroquois

PRP

Moore

Southern

Valley

Western

Region 4

Ballard

Central

Eastern

Fern Creek

Jeffersontown

KCD

KSB

Manual

Seneca

St. Xavier

Shawnee

Trinity

Region 5

Anderson Co.

Danville

Franklin Co.

Harrison Co.

Montgomery Co.

North Oldham

Oldham Co.

South Oldham

Region 6

Boone Co.

Campbell Co.

Conner

Dixie Heights

Holmes

Newport

Ryle

Scott

Simon Kenton

Region 7

Bourbon Co.

Bryan Station

Henry Clay

Lafayette

Paul Dunbar

Tates Creek

Western Hills

Woodford Co.

Region 8

Ashland Blazer

Johnson Central

Lawrence Co.

Letcher Co. Central

McCreary Co. Central

Perry Co. Central

Pike Co. Central

Prestonsburg

Sheldon Clark

Wayne Co.

Whitley Co.

I agree it would be a difficult move for a region 6 team, but Campbell is the obvious choice for it to me (objectively).  The travel for duals could be set up so it wasn't that big a deal.

Truth is with the exception of maybe Harrison Co.  Simon Kenton is closer to region 7 than Campbell. Co.

Truth is with the exception of maybe Harrison Co.  Simon Kenton is closer to region 7 than Campbell. Co.

Yeah, they are both similar.  Hour and a half to most Lexington schools.

Moving Daviess County in with Region 2 doesn't make any sense geographically, especially since another school in the same system in the same city (Apollo) would be in the West KY Region. The only logical explanation I can fathom for this is you got Daviess County confused with Danville, but you had Danville in another region. So I'm at a loss for words here.

Nothing against the fine folks in the Boro, but the Hardin/LaRue/Meade/Nelson area is one hour from 20+ wrestling teams in Louisville, but yet you see fit to stick two teams more than two hours away (Daviess County and Ohio) with them. Granted Meade County is in the same basketball/baseball/softball region with the Boro schools, but that's it. Every other sport, Boro is not connected to the Hardin area. And again, moving one school (Daviess) and not another (Apollo) leaves Daviess with some really long hauls and not one single natural rival (other than Ohio).

Rebuttal?

Moving Daviess County in with Region 2 doesn't make any sense geographically, especially since another school in the same system in the same city (Apollo) would be in the West KY Region. The only logical explanation I can fathom for this is you got Daviess County confused with Danville, but you had Danville in another region. So I'm at a loss for words here.

Nothing against the fine folks in the Boro, but the Hardin/LaRue/Meade/Nelson area is one hour from 20+ wrestling teams in Louisville, but yet you see fit to stick two teams more than two hours away (Daviess County and Ohio) with them. Granted Meade County is in the same basketball/baseball/softball region with the Boro schools, but that's it. Every other sport, Boro is not connected to the Hardin area. And again, moving one school (Daviess) and not another (Apollo) leaves Daviess with some really long hauls and not one single natural rival (other than Ohio).

Rebuttal?

Wow. I got nothing.  I guess I should have put more thought into the Western KY region.  As for Anderson and Danville, they used to be in Region (District)7 along with the Oldham's. I guess half of my brain was thinking Geographical and the other hal was thinking Dividing the teams equally.

I say we get a huge 6 foot by 8 foot map of KY and place stick pins where all the wrestling schools are located.

If nothing else it would be extremely interesting to look at.  :-D

I do think that it would help in looking at alignment.  Anyone know where I can get one really really cheap?

I really think all these ideas are great. But I believe nothing will change this year. I think maybe next year you may see some realignments and maybe weight change. I think for the up coming year everything will be as it has been

The thing about the weight class changes, is that it is not in the states hands. The NFHS has control of all rule changes and them passes them down to the states. But we have to look at these regions due to the fact that now the sport is starting to grow, which is a GREAT thing. With talks of possibly 4 more teams coming into region 7 in the next few years there will be a big change there. Its just to bad that now some of these schools are going to have to travel more than they use too. But it is the growing pains that this sports needs for us to move up another level I think the state is doing a great job is getting this sport in the right direction.

Wow. I got nothing.  I guess I should have put more thought into the Western KY region.  As for Anderson and Danville, they used to be in Region (District)7 along with the Oldham's. I guess half of my brain was thinking Geographical and the other hal was thinking Dividing the teams equally.

As little as 5 years ago both Anderson and Danville where in the 7th region with all Lexington schools and Harrison co, until Bourbon started a team. I believe 2001-02 was the last time there was any kind of realignment