-Tony Perry x 2

-Doug Upchurch (sc)

-Joey Hagedorn (sc)

-Billy Clark (sc)

-Luke Metzker x 3 (sc x2)

-Mike Ford

-Billy Whitehouse x 2

-Nick Chaffin x 2 (sc)

you can't just list what they eventually did at the state tourney.  How good they will be and how good they were at that time is usually 2 different things.

Example:

2000 103lb class

13 state finals appearences; 6 state championships

-Tony Perry x 2

-Doug Upchurch (sc)

-Joey Hagedorn (sc)

-Billy Clark (sc)

-Mike Ford

-Billy Whitehouse x 2

-Nick Chaffin x 2 (sc)

Wow, i was going to take a stab at this post, but mine can't touch this one.

What is the toughest bracket you have ever seen at a state tournament?

112 was pretty tough back in the day when it was Caleb wood vs coty lewis in the finals... It wasnt THE ULTIMATE bracket but there was ALOT of competition..

Example:

2000 103lb class

13 state finals appearences; 6 state championships

-Tony Perry x 2

-Doug Upchurch (sc)

-Joey Hagedorn (sc)

-Billy Clark (sc)

-Mike Ford

-Billy Whitehouse x 2

-Nick Chaffin x 2 (sc)

Also in this same bracket, there were only 2 wrestlers ( out of 16) who didn't place top 6 in state.

Just to test my theory I went looking at the 103 wt classes that are listed on KHSAA.

My theory is that you will find numerous future stars in this wt. class.

2002 has these stars.

Dan Trejo (Tat)

Josh Cooper (SK)

Kyle Ruschell (Ryle)

Ben Denny (SO)

Pat Banks (Larue)

Nate Johnson (Ft Camp)

Daniel Thuenerman (Scott)

Garrison Headley (Hen Cl)

Matt Thompson (Old Co)

Jordan Lewis (Ballard)

There are others in this class but these are the ones that came to mind quickly.

145 2006 was brutal

Courtney,Aylor, Banks,Wilson,Cooper til he bumped up at regions,Ervin

Also 2004 119

Scott,Courtney,Thuenemann,Kris Perry,and a few others

This is proably not the toughest but there is alot of good competition in the 2005 103ilb. bracket.

James Badgett

Cliff Cornett

Alan Johnson

Mason Bradbury

Dan Fuller

Antonio Zeppa

Shane Parks

Travis Sullivan

Adam Carr

Dan Smith

Matt Slone

Jon Voth

Joaquin Luna

Dusty Brown

Josh Johnson

Cory Spencer

Alot of talent has evolved from this bracket.

Also the 2003 119ilb. bracket

Austin Cooper

Matt Thompson

Kris Perry

Zach Peters

Pat Banks

Dewayne Martin

Tyler Sexton

Cory Bankemper

Joey Miller

Cody Traylor

Nick Griggs

Marcus Bradbury

Nick Chaffin

I mentioned this in another recent thread:

112 --1999

1 Issac Knable-4 timer

2 Jason Daviaux-2 timer, three time finalist

3 Me-placed once, 2-time qualifier

4 Anthony Smith-2 time finalist, 4 time placer

5 Neal Crawford-1 timer, not sure on placings

6 Chad Haydon- 1 timer, took 6th in senior nationals (only person to place from Ky that yr. with a Ky class that included Josh Whitaker, Chris Dunn, Chris Floyd, Jason Detre, Ryan Luna, Jacob Holbrook, and others)

DNP- Josh Kenneweg-runner up in '00

So thats 12 finalists and 11 championships in one weight class.

That was a 16 man bracket too. I saw where Hayden defaulted in the cons semis but, then lost to Crawford 6-4 for 5th. Was he ill or injured? Anyone remember what happened?

16 man brackets. That's when it meant something to be a state qualifier. A topic for another thread.

you can't just list what they eventually did at the state tourney.  How good they will be and how good they were at that time is usually 2 different things.

Oh yes, I totally agree with you.  It is just interesing to look back at the potential each weight class had and how they eventually panned out.

Hayden should have won that year.  I believe he had the flu during the tourney.

Haydon was sick, he defaulted to me. We had met in District and Region Finals that yr. He bested me by some late third period maneuvers both weeks.  He approached me in Frankfort after losing to Daviaux and said that he couldn't give me the rematch I deserved and knew that I could beat him handedly so he was going to forfeit.  I was pretty pissed but commended him on his sportsmanship and took the forfeit. He also told me he was gonna wrestle Crawford for 5th and 6th...he lost in OT. The kid got healthy and placed in Senior Nationals, he was a damn fine wrestler and a great sport...one of the best kids Franklin Co. has ever produced.  As far as being a shoe in for the title I have to differ.  Anthony Smith was VERY GOOD and countered Haydon's powerful, strong stlye w/ quickness and one of the nastiest single leg sweeps this state has seen...if you've seen his brother wrestle you know what I'm talkin about. The problem w/ Anthony was he was a staller...BIG TIME. He got hit three times for stallin in mine and his quarterfinals match and Coach Parks and Carr lobbied hard for the fourth and final stall call. In fact, there was a controversy on the scorecards. Our card had four calls on stallin....Carr even came out on the mat and lifted me up as if I had won. I went to shake hands and Anthony and his coach threw a fit. We had to finish out the last minute or so and I was down points and had to start throwin desperation lat drops and leg vines. I lost.  As you all probably know Anthony was DQed his next match against Knable for stalling.  He threw such a fit (his brother came out on the mat) that he was tossed from the tourney. He should've been in the finals w/ Knable (Daviaux wasn't that good his sophmore yr. Me, Chad, Knable had all beaten him earlier that yr....badly) The bracket was onesided...but that can happen.  Either way it was a great weight class and I was proud to be part of it.

Anthony Smith was a beast a dangerous single leg..went undefeated his senior year...until his one and only lost coming to him in the finals..by one point...Grady(his brother was a beast as well)..Anthony Smith could be classifed as one of the best wrestle to come through Christian County and not win a state title...but ey the state tournament def can be deteremined by your draw

Anthony Smith was a beast a dangerous single leg..went undefeated his senior year...until his one and only lost coming to him in the finals..by one point...

No, Anthony went to state with one loss. He lost to Tim Whitfield from Fern Creek by one point in the finals of the Caldwell tournament that year. His loss in the finals was also to Whitfield.