Sign in to follow this  
Pinking

Middle School State Predictions

Any middle school state predictions now that the brackets are out.  I will give a few:

70 lbs Brock Ervin

75 lbs Matt Fahy

82 lbs John Fahy

89 lbs Lane Jones, Nick Paden, or Wade Holtsclaw-Edge to Jones.

96 lbs Brent Hitchings

103 Zach Salyers

110 Kyle Terry

117 Caleb Ervin

70- Ervin (union)

75- M. fahy (YKC)

82- J Fahy (YKC)

89- whoever shows up and wants it more

96- see 89

103- Salyers (JC)

110- see 89

117- Ervin (union)

124- Shaq Cox (LaRue)

131- Crosby kid

140- Couch (larue)/Proctor (south oldham)

150- Ray (larue)/McKinney (union)

165- see 89

185- Newberry (larue)

230- whoever doesn't go to thier back first!!

Club:                        School:

1) Union                  1) LaRue

2) Trinity                2) East Oldham

3) whoever              3)Gray

70- Ervin or Yenter

75- Fahy or Jones

82- Fahy

89- White, Jones, Paden maybe Edens or Holtzclaw --tuffest weigh class

96- Cooper, Hitchings, Stout

103- Salyers or Toxell

110- Jude

117- Ervin

124- Byrd or Cox

131- Gatto or Crosby

140- Proctor

150- Ray, McKinney, Badon

165- Coyle or Brown

185- Newberry

230- ???? Don't have a HWT never noticed.

If I had to narrow it down.

70- Yenter

75- Fahy

82- Fahy

89- White

96- Cooper

103- Salyers

110- Jude

117- Ervin

124- Byrd

131- Gatto

140- Proctor

150- Ray

165- Coyle

185- Newberry

230- ???? Don't have a HWT never noticed.

She Hate Me: at 89 you mentioned a few kids, "Paden, Holtsclaw, White, Jones or Edens" Any idea how these guys have done competing against each other this year? My picks are

70: Yenter or Ervin. Slight edge to Yenter

75: Fahy

82: Fahy

89: who knows? Supe, Holtsclaw, Jones or White

96: Hitchings in a squeaker or Lonkard

103:Salyers

110? Jude

Not familiar with the classes above that enough to make picks.

Good luck to all wrestlers!

I guess I will wade in on this.  I have seen most all of these kids this year and seen many wrestle each other but at a state tournament, anything can happen.

70 - Ervin and Yenter (I think they have split this year, man what a finals this will be!!)

75 - Fahy is NOT the solid favorite here.  Upset special is Wedding boy over Fahy in semis, whoever wins that semi final match, wins it.  Wedding boy is looking VERY TOUGH.

82 - Hands down, John Fahy.

89 - What a tough weight class, was tough before Supe dropped, now it is STACKED!!  Jones boy awaits the winner of the Supe and Paden semi final match.  Jones has the edge in the finals though.  Expect the semi final match between Jones (if he gets past Hodge from Union) and White to be closer than expected.  Semi between Paden and Supe also very very close and as will be the finals match.  Both semi finals matches and finals match will be decided by 3 points or less; this weight class is that tough and that close.  Each one of the top six are EXCELLENT WRESTLERS not physically overpowering, all are excellent technicians.  TOUGH WEIGHT CLASS!!

96  - What a final's match this is shaping up to be!!!  Hitchings V. Hasselbring from Wayne County.  The Wayne kid is for REAL folks and it won't surprise me to see him beat Hitchings.  Brent is NOT a shoe in at this weight.  Mark my words.

103 - Saylers is a shoe in!!!

110- So is Jude a shoe in here!!

117- So is Ervin, Caleb is VERY VERY good.  You guys will be looking at at least a two timer maybe three.  I have seen the other Ervins at this age, and Caleb is better than the ones presently in high school at this age.  Nice kid as well!!

124 - Cox.  Sorry Woodford fans, but Byrd doesn't even make it to finals.  The Christian County kid V. Cox in finals.

131 - Gatto from East Oldham.  Smart move for Gatto to drop, now both he and Proctor will be state champs.

140 - Proctor from Sold

150 - Ray from LaRue, but this time McKenney from Union gives him a much better match.

165 - Brown from East Oldham

185 - Newberry not a shoe in here, I hear the Ashland kid is pretty tough.

230 - Should be a fun finals match as it will be two teams who don't like each other going at it:  Hicks from Wayne V. Smith from Inez. 

Man, has middle school wrestling gotten better and better over the past four years!!  If you attend this weekend, you are going to see some future two or three time high school state champions on display.  Let me say, that this year's state championship has the best wrestlers at the middle school level that we have ever had in Kentucky.  Years past we have had some naturally athletic kids who just overpower everyone else.  Not this year, this year you have WRESTLERS.  Their skills at all weight classes are awesome, best up to this point.  The group in semis finalists and finalists this weekend will be names you will hear for many years to come at the high school level.

Ranger 123, get the names of the semi finalists and finalists this weekend and keep up with them as you will be using them for many years to come.

Prediction:  This has the makings of being a watershed year for middle school wrestling.  This year's group of semi finalists and finalists may be the best WRESTLERS overall, all weight classes combined, that has been and may be for many years to come.  It is that good.

MOW prediction:  As tough as 89 is this year, it should be the winner at 89, but it won't, it will be Jude at 110.

See you at the mats on Saturday in Elizabethtown.

Boy, we are going to see some outstanding semi final matches....all the way around.  It's going to be my first opportunity to see some of these kids this year...i'm looking forward to seeing some of the kids from Wayne, Johnson, Inez that i've been hearing about.

My MOW prediction will be anyone who can upset one of the shoe-ins....if that's possible.  I'd say watch out for Caleb Lonkard this year, he is slicker than snot on a door knob.  I'd also have to say the winner of 89 should get some votes too.  Caleb Ervin is in my opinion the best wrestler pound for pound in m.s. state this year....followed closely by John Fahy, Salyers, & Jude.

I was so glad to see someone say that Newberry/Larue at 185 was not a shoe in, I tend to pull for unknown underdogs, however - I'm sure when we see the matches in this weight class, they will be good ones!  I'm so excited.....

Chuckling....this discussion board is pre-fight-hype...cool!  I sincerely wish all the kids much luck - they ALL should be very proud of themselves!!! 

Now....bring on the bouts......

Bigcoach: You are right. I forgot about the kid at 96 from Wayne Co. Depending on what side he is on, a really good kid wont make it out to the finals. Is he on the same side as Lonkard or Hitchings?

Great predictions BigCoach!!! Excellent points too!

Suck up.      :lol:

The 185 from Ashland is tough, and looks to be about 35 years old.  Ha Ha, just kidding, but he IS a very mature looking young man.

I'm kidding now, nobody get offended.

I can promise one thing for this weekend.  There will be at least one big upset, there always is.

She Hate Me: at 89 you mentioned a few kids, "Paden, Holtsclaw, White, Jones or Edens" Any idea how these guys have done competing against each other this year? My picks are

70: Yenter or Ervin. Slight edge to Yenter

75: Fahy

82: Fahy

89: who knows? Supe, Holtsclaw, Jones or White

96: Hitchings in a squeaker or Lonkard

103:Salyers

110? Jude

Not familiar with the classes above that enough to make picks.

Good luck to all wrestlers!

89 is such a tough weight class this year.  Those are just the guys that impressed me this year when we wrestled them and some that I've heard about.  It's hard to say who will pull it out.  I don't think anyone is undefeated.  Does anyone know if any of these guys are undefeated?

However I dont feel that it would be accurate to say that there is a "shoe in" in any of these weight classes, because after all these are middle school kids that you can never predict. I do agree that this has been a record setting year for middle school wrestling in Kentucky.  When you look at the top 2 in each weight class im not sure there have been this much talent and actual "wrestlers" so to speak in middle school wrestling in Kentucky..

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

89 is such a tough weight class this year.  Those are just the guys that impressed me this year when we wrestled them and some that I've heard about.  It's hard to say who will pull it out.  I don't think anyone is undefeated.  Does anyone know if any of these guys are undefeated?

Nope. All have atleast 1 loss. It may not be an in-state loss, but they all have atleast 1 loss as far as i know.

refdad - Hitchings and Lonkard are on the same side of the bracket, Hasselbring from Wayne is on the same side as Stout from Bourbon. 

As I said, at every single weight, the semi final matches are WOW material.  In some cases the quarterfinals matches are going to be knock down drag them out stuff.  Example is like at 124 where you have the Christian County kid taking on Lampe from Fern Creek.  One of those isn't even going to make to semis to take on Byrd from Woodford!!  Wait till you all see this Christian County kid, he is a man and wow can he wrestle.  Another example is at 82 where you will have TJ Ruschell taking on Fahy in the quarterfinals and the winner gets the Jones boy from Conner.  At 117, get a close seat to the quarterfinal match between Dodd from Wayne versus Whaylyn from Hencry Clay.  My goodness, what a quarterfinal war that will be, and I am talking maybe a match decided by 2 points at best.  Dodd from Wayne ONLY lost to Ervin from Union 2-0 in the finals at their regional tournament.  But mark my words, the best quarterfinal match will be at 89 when Jones takes on Hodge from Union.  I could go on listing the quarter finals gems, but I won't as about a third of them are going to be what in years past would have been finals matches.  After seeing so many of these kids over the season, this year's middle school tournament is shaping up to be one that I think we will be talking about for many years to come.

I was a high school coach back when this state had the four regions and I can remember what the state tournaments were like.  They are nothing like they are now at the high school level.  Now I am working with middle school and will be heading back to the high school level in a year or so, but right now this year with this year's middle school state tournament, it just reminds me of some of those tough high school state tournaments from years past.  You know when Hopkinsville would roll in along with Union County and take on those Sheldon Clark studs while every single team didn't want to draw anyone from that murderous NKY region and you always had that team in black with their blond hair standing there asking for anyone to try and knock them off their top pedalstool. 

This is going to be good on Saturday.

What do ya'll think about William Northington at 140. He lost to the S Old kid while bein' tired from gettin' to 40. He seems to have gotten alot better since then and just beat the #1 ranked wrestler in high school in region 3. I think he can be one of the top guys in the running.