the man

coaching

Considering poor school spirit and poor school pride in the student body as a whole, the fact that Campbell Co always has a good team definitely puts Bankemper in the top 5. Considering the size of that school, he doesn't get nearly as many guys go out for that team as one should because of the reasons i stated. Yet, he always makes something good out of the ones that do.

Why its like that with lack of support of the student body for its atheletics is a mystery to me, its not just like that with respect to wrestling there. So its not that Bankemper isn't selling his sport either, the problem isn't restricted to wrestling !!

Guest DAWG6
Carr' date='Carr, Bankemper,Ruschell and LaRue's coach(stumped trying to think of his name now)[/quote']

Gary Canter

Carr' date='Carr, Bankemper,Ruschell and LaRue's coach(stumped trying to think of his name now)[/quote']

Don't you mean Barnes instead of Ruschell?

ALLAMERICAN: Barnes may be better than Ruschell or may not, but the fact is that Ruschell is the head coach there. Also I have been told, I dont know first hand but have been told that Dave Barnes isnt as active at Ryle as he has been in the past. DAWG: Gary Canter. Thanks.

Matney does do a good job for what he has to work with out there. He can be a jerk at times but does a good job. I wouldn't want to coach at Inez or Johnson Central. Had acouple of great teams with Sheldon Clark.

Coach Hall at Fern Creek has done a good job!

He has turned out some very good wrestlers and also helped a lot of kids off the mat too and teaches them alot more than just wrestling!

All of you all are naming great coachs, but you are forgetting one of the most underrated coaches. Russ Reigel at Harrison co. He has not always been a coach there but is one of the few if not the only coaches in the NATION with over 700 wins. you can't top that, and this year he will once again be having a great team with a lot of youngsters for the next few years. watch out for them

Coach Coomes-He does your rankings for you,even if you dont like them or do,plus he's a assistant principal,plus he's a coach, thats more work than any other coach in the state can put in or does put in ,plus he can turn the most random people into state champions,I know you dont like the fact that athletic guys that sometimes doesnt have any technique can turn into state champions just like that,but it is what it is,and he does good every year.

Coach Carr the most motivated coach in matches,he's always the one on his feet pushing the wrestler for the win and never gives up in the game!!!

Coach Bankemper is good

Coach Whalen coming in with a new team,but he did good with the murtons this year and I plan to see him do good in the future

Coach Parks making stars every year

Jim Matney is a brilliant coach and a great man. Matney has a good system and seems to breed champions and catalyze winning programs. He made made a small Sheldon Clark school into a two time state champion power and I look for big things out of Johnson Central soon with he and Gamble together.

Just Wrestle seems to think he is a jerk, but Matney will prepare his men to go to battle, and he will go to battle for them. If you call that being a jerk I suggest you not get into coaching.

Excuse me?????????????????

I said Coach Matney CAN be a jerk. And that's not far from the truth. He's been nothing but nice to me over the years but I've seen how he treats other people at times. I believe I was giving him a compliment on his coaching abilities.

And by the way, I do coach for a team that has won acouple more than 2 state titles, if you were wondering what it "takes" to be in coaching.

If you have been a succesful coach, then I have my doubts that someone has not considered you a jerk when fighting for a kid in a seeting meeting, arguing a call for one of your kids, or doing the other things Jim Matney is notorious for doing. In which case I think that all coaches could sometimes be considered one, maybe even yourself.

Moreover, I hope that you understand that part of my dissatisfaction with your post stems from the condescending nature to which you viewed Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central in stateing that you would not want to coach there. Perhaps you meant that you would prefer a bigger or better located institutution, but otherwise it comes accross as demeaning two growing programs and the high school kids working their butts off to improve their respective program. It is one of Matney's greatest qualities that he develops teams from a small talent pool.

Also keep in mind that this is a light hearted message board and that my goal wasn't to attack you, but to ensure that your comments about a great man and coach were not misconstrued by those viewing this site. I hope your past wrestlers wouls do the same for you. I hope you have a great day and fantastic season, winning all matches you engage in....except those against Coach Matney.

I'll give props to my old High School coach for making me and several others who they are today, Dennis Walls down at Union County. He has done a great job year in and year out with the kids. He doesn't get alot of kids but he does great with what he has to work with.

Thanks Dump, you just have made my day...Your right, this is a light hearted message board, so I'll keep it that way.

And yes, I would prefer to coach or live in a bigger or better located area. Not at all demeaning towards the kids, just the area.

As far as Coach Matney. He is notorious you'll admit for going overboard on some things. You say its passion for his kids, I say its being a jerk at times. My opinion. And I do try not to be that person as much as possible. In life as well as coaching. Just two different people, it takes nothing away from his coaching abilities. We all have our opinions on what classifies someone as a "great man".

parks/carr -woodford county - always in the running for a champioship every year.

bankemper - campbell co. - always has his team ready to wrestle.

canter - larue co. - always competes well with the big schools

upchurch - wayne co. - always has his kids ready at tournament time.

fiser - south oldham - has taken them to a new level since comming there.

The ervins have done a great job helping the union county program and i cant wait for this season for all the walls rivalry in region 1 we now have three walls brother coaching possibly four in the same region it will be fun.