Sign in to follow this  
REscalera

Seeding State

A couple of ideas when discussing how to address the issue of seeding at our state tournament. Although our current method doesn't bother me, im certain a change that would allow for more finals with the #1 & #2 ranked wrestlers would increase attendance during the finals. 

The New Jersey state tournament starts with a 32-man bracket in each weight class, four wrestlers qualifying from each of eight regions. The top three finishers at each region are eligible to be seeded first through 24th per a set procedure that is based on previous state tournament performance, head-to-head results, and regional finish; those who finish fourth at the regional are the bottom eight seeds. Wrestling starts at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on Friday evening, and concludes with the finals on Sunday afternoon.

In the Golden State, competition starts from a 40-man bracket with qualifiers allocated to each section per state athletic association guidelines. The top 16 competitors were seeded based on merit, with remaining competitors bracketed per procedures related to separating competitors from the same section, etc. Competition starts on Friday morning at Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield, with the finals slated for Saturday night.

• Upvote 1

I am a fan of the random draw though in the minority. I like how it adds spice and intrigue to every round. There's always a first or second round matchup I'm drooling to see.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how having the suppose #1 and #2 would increase the number of fans in the stands.  

It has little to do with the actual matches going on.  It is the atmosphere, the fanfare, the lead up to the finals that makes people want to come.  

We have absolutely none of that now.  Nothing special. Didn't even dim the lights.  You have got to make it something special to get people to come.  Most could care less who is actually wrestling unless it is one of their teams or friends. 

Why are the powers that be trying to make the state tournament business like?  

Crank the music up!!! Make some loud announcements when introducing the finalists.  

Are we at a golf tournament??????

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Not sure how having the suppose #1 and #2 would increase the number of fans in the stands.  

It has little to do with the actual matches going on.  It is the atmosphere, the fanfare, the lead up to the finals that makes people want to come.  

We have absolutely none of that now.  Nothing special. Didn't even dim the lights.  You have got to make it something special to get people to come.  Most could care less who is actually wrestling unless it is one of their teams or friends. 

I was at the state tournament if you years ago where they wrestled all of the placement matches at the same time as the finals. It was the first time I'd been to the state tournament since around 2004. I was totally disappointed that none of the same atmosphere that It had in the past. There was nothing to make it stand out and say this was the state tournament. It was just like being at any other tournament. I haven't been back since  and I am a fan of wrestling and have a son who wrestles in middle school. 

It’s be nice to have a center mat on a platform (i.e. NCAAs). Walk out music for each wrestler. And a more passionate announcer introducing the finalists. Is it possible to record the finals and link it to a big screen/Jumbotron? As far as seeding goes, what’s wrong with using Track for seeding criteria? All the information should be there. Seems pretty simple and straightforward.

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

It’s be nice to have a center mat on a platform (i.e. NCAAs). Walk out music for each wrestler. And a more passionate announcer introducing the finalists. Is it possible to record the finals and link it to a big screen/Jumbotron? As far as seeding goes, what’s wrong with using Track for seeding criteria? All the information should be there. Seems pretty simple and straightforward.

I agree about the platform, it would only be a one-time cost.  They could sell floor seats during the finals, if they took the other mats up, to pay for it and then make even more money every year.  I'll bet coaches would work together to roll them up if necessary.  At least they gave the runner-ups a moment to collect themselves before getting on the podium this year.

1 hour ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Trust me, Zeus. You don't want to be sitting on that floor.

Lol... I didn't specify but meant that chairs would be placed there for people to sit on.  I agree that the floor is nasty.  If it weren't for the dirt/dust then Alltech Arena would be about the perfect venue.

Let’s all be honest, the ones that are in charge of our State tournament care less about the energy, fan base or promoting this sport anymore than tennis. Football and Men’s Basketball, yes but unless we start looking for ways to get their attention, it won’t change. Has anyone ever heard of the KHSAA asking how they could make the event better for the wrestlers and fans? It’s a dictorship and we take whatever they give us. Look at the venue compared to MS and Youth. The facility in Louisville has served us great the last 2 years at both levels. You could pack the stands, lights turn in and off easily and 2 spotlights make it look pretty cool. Bring back the noise makers and team colors in the stands. Designate areas to the different teams!! Teams that win last year, get front and center and go from there. Just my 2 cents

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Why aren't the ones on this forum the ones in charge, or at least talk to them? 

DrBaker. KHSSA does not care if its not football or basketball. I will tell you that KFWC has several influential coaches and admins on here. What is said about the MS and Youth is heard very clearly. 

1 hour ago, Bulldoglife said:

DrBaker. KHSSA does not care if its not football or basketball. I will tell you that KFWC has several influential coaches and admins on here. What is said about the MS and Youth is heard very clearly. 

That's sad. 

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree, but it is up to us as coaches and parents to grow our sport and prove our value to the KHSAA. We are making great strides on the youth and middle school levels hopefully those will carry over to the next level as our kids improve and the sport keeps growing.

22 hours ago, gameface said:

Look at the venue compared to MS and Youth. The facility in Louisville has served us great the last 2 years at both levels. You could pack the stands, lights turn in and off easily and 2 spotlights make it look pretty cool. Bring back the noise makers and team colors in the stands. Designate areas to the different teams!! Teams that win last year, get front and center and go from there. Just my 2 cents

I have been there I don't think it is better than Alltech.  Fans would have to walk on the floor to get to their seats.  Not sure there are enough seats. Not a very well kept place kinda run down. I believe this would be a step down. 

Plus Lou. has always been a problem in the way way past.  The farmers convention was always same weekend as state tourney and hotel rooms were almost impossible to come by.  (not sure if it is still the same weekend)

9 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

I have been there I don't think it is better than Alltech.  Fans would have to walk on the floor to get to their seats.  Not sure there are enough seats. Not a very well kept place kinda run down. I believe this would be a step down. 

Plus Lou. has always been a problem in the way way past.  The farmers convention was always same weekend as state tourney and hotel rooms were almost impossible to come by.  (not sure if it is still the same weekend)

I hear what your saying and respect your opinion. I do agree it is not as modern as Altech and your right you have to walk down on the floor. I just like the closeness of the mats to the seats. If it weren’t for the dirt and the restrictions keepingvteams from celebrating like they did down in Frankfort, I like Altech. I just want somewhere that the kids are highlighted and the excitement and atmosphere gives the feel like it did at Frankfort. 

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter where you go if KHSAA won't do it.  All of what you want could be done at Altech if they would allow it.  The venue is not the problem its the mindset of how it should be run is what the problem is.

Lets fix the mindset 1st then we can fix the venue.  Because Altech is NOT the best place to hold it. 

7 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

It doesn't matter where you go if KHSAA won't do it.  All of what you want could be done at Altech if they would allow it.  The venue is not the problem its the mindset of how it should be run is what the problem is.

Lets fix the mindset 1st then we can fix the venue.  Because Altech is NOT the best place to hold it. 

The only way to fix the mindset is to get the KHSAA Control Board to actually care about the sport and the kids.Below are the members of the KHSAA Wrestling advisory committee, these are the people who can make or break our sport.We need change we need to gain their attention and support. They have to be willing to take new ideas and concerns to the Control Board.

Christopher King, Calloway County, Assistant Principal, 2019
Bob Davis, Meade County, Coach, 2020 
James Kraeszig, St. Xavier, Coach, 2019
Che Founder, Central, Administrator, 2020
Tim Ruschell, Ryle, Coach, 2017
Troy Johnson, Fern Creek, Athletic Director, 2019
Philip Dettwiller, Montgomery County, Coach, 2020
Chris McCoy, Male, Coach 2018
Scott Hawkins, Woodford County Superintendent, Board of Control Representative
Mark Schumate, Louisville, KWOA, (ex-official)
Scott Greenwald, Tournament Staff (ex-official )