Sign in to follow this  
CBender

questions re: byes vs forfeits

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the way byes are handled vs.forfeits.  My opinion is that these two conditions can and do create some scoring / seeding anomalies, at least at the high school level:

1.  Why are tournament byes not given the max team points?  No bonus points are allowed for tourney byes, just standard advancement points, but conversely a full 6 points are given to the opposing team for dual forfeits, not 3.  In tournaments byes usually go to the higher seeded kids, who then lose an opportunity to score bonus team points, an opportunity the other kids in the bracket that do have matches get.

2.  Since overall record is almost always used as a seeding criteria, why do forfeits count toward your record, but byes don't?  By the end of the season, this skews in favor of the heavier dual participant.  The kid receiving the bye scores team points in the tournament for advancement, but isn't allowed to count it toward his record.  The dual participant receiving the forfeit also scores team points in the dual, and does get to count it toward his record.

It seems to me that in a true comparison of overall record, you'd either want to use "all matches actually wrestled" for both kids, or "all potential matches, both wrestled and not wrestled' for both kids.   Not a mix of the two conditions.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, CBender said:

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the way byes are handled vs.forfeits.  My opinion is that these two conditions can and do create some scoring / seeding anomalies, at least at the high school level:

1.  Why are tournament byes not given the max team points?  No bonus points are allowed for tourney byes, just standard advancement points, but conversely a full 6 points are given to the opposing team for dual forfeits, not 3.  In tournaments byes usually go to the higher seeded kids, who then lose an opportunity to score bonus team points, an opportunity the other kids in the bracket that do have matches get.

2.  Since overall record is almost always used as a seeding criteria, why do forfeits count toward your record, but byes don't?  By the end of the season, this skews in favor of the heavier dual participant.  The kid receiving the bye scores team points in the tournament for advancement, but isn't allowed to count it toward his record.  The dual participant receiving the forfeit also scores team points in the dual, and does get to count it toward his record.

It seems to me that in a true comparison of overall record, you'd either want to use "all matches actually wrestled" for both kids, or "all potential matches, both wrestled and not wrestled' for both kids.   Not a mix of the two conditions.

Great questions.  Really looking forward to some understanding on this.  I've only got 5 years under my belt in the world of wrestling and have asked other parents but no one else seems to know either.  

• Upvote 1

I think a few things are not understood.  The top seeded wrestler does not always get the bye this occurs only if the tourney is seeded all the way down.  In my several decades of wrestling I have not been part of a tourney that does this.  I understand that some of the regions do this and I applaud them.  

With that said I do believe that a bye should be given full points in a tourney.  This would do two things give the kid who got the bye points for his team and maybe influence coaches to seed tourneys all the way down. 

As for the forfeits being counted as wins.  This only occurs in duals or if during a tourney a kid leaves the tourney by DQ or injury.  if a kid makes weight and goes to a dual then he should get a win over that team because they don't have one or choose not to send someone out to wrestle.  At a tourney there is no opponent to get the win against. Many times a team may have a 1st year wrestler or a weak wrestler and they choose to forfeit against a greatly superior wrestler.  Do you punish the better wrestler for this? 

34 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I think a few things are not understood.  The top seeded wrestler does not always get the bye this occurs only if the tourney is seeded all the way down.  In my several decades of wrestling I have not been part of a tourney that does this.  I understand that some of the regions do this and I applaud them.  

With that said I do believe that a bye should be given full points in a tourney.  This would do two things give the kid who got the bye points for his team and maybe influence coaches to seed tourneys all the way down. 

As for the forfeits being counted as wins.  This only occurs in duals or if during a tourney a kid leaves the tourney by DQ or injury.  if a kid makes weight and goes to a dual then he should get a win over that team because they don't have one or choose not to send someone out to wrestle.  At a tourney there is no opponent to get the win against. Many times a team may have a 1st year wrestler or a weak wrestler and they choose to forfeit against a greatly superior wrestler.  Do you punish the better wrestler for this? 

GOO, how do you applaud seeding the regional tournament all the way out but yet your last sentence asks about punishing a superior wrestler? In my opinion, when you seed out the regional tournament, your punishing an entire team for having top notch kids. So, in the end, to answer your question, yes, we are punishing the better wrestlers.

the difference is spelled out in the rule book.  Any changes would have to come at the NFHS level first.

that being said, I believe there is an option to push the byes to the top seeded wrestlers in Track.  In other words, you can seed the top three and any byes would go to the top seeds in order.

25 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

GOO, how do you applaud seeding the regional tournament all the way out but yet your last sentence asks about punishing a superior wrestler? In my opinion, when you seed out the regional tournament, your punishing an entire team for having top notch kids. So, in the end, to answer your question, yes, we are punishing the better wrestlers.

Hes saying that you need to award them max points AND seed all the way out. This gets proper seeding and gives the higher seeds their points

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

If at a dual and the other team doesn't have a weight or chooses not to send someone out to wrestle, then there's also "no one to wrestle".  I am willing to accept that duals handle the situation correctly...but if they do, then tourney byes should get max points and +1 to your record as well.  After all, some team at the tournament didn't have one, or chose not to enter whomever they had.  Comparing records as a seeding criteria, with forfeits (at least non-injury forfeits) counted and byes excluded, seems to breed an inconsistency.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, coachteater said:

Hes saying that you need to award them max points AND seed all the way out. This gets proper seeding and gives the higher seeds their points

Thanks for clearing that up. I misread it. 

GOO is correct. If a kid makes weight and shows up for a dual, he should get the win if the other team has no one to wrestle that other wrestler.

Regarding tournaments (Bracket Individual tournaments), you can select to have the BYES to be randomly drawled into the bracket. I know on track you can do this. However even with this, they seem to sometimes always go to the top 4 seeds getting the BYE. Not always but it seems to put the BYE on one of those lines.

My suggestion would be to do this. If you have 12 kids that are entered, lets say at 145 pound weight class. Before any seeding takes place for that weight class,  I would have the coaches vote or place the byes first on the bracket. Then I would seed the kids and then let the computer/track randomly place the other wrestlers into the bracket. 

So you would need 4 byes for this weight class. And if you know your going to have 6 seeded kids. Take the lines or seed places/positions on the bracket out! This way you can't place a bye on those lines (because that's where the seeded kids will go). Then have someone pull two byes for the top side of the bracket out of hat or something, and have someone pull two byes for the bottom half of the bracket. Place those byes and then drawl in the other wrestlers.

If this was a state rule I could see the argument more, but this is a national rule. I'm not exactly sure why they do this, but I'm sure guys with my more wrestling knowleshe did it this way for a reason. It's funny I've never really seen this brought up as an issue till now. Seems like the only reason why, is because a good team didn't finish first, but could have with that kind of point change. Point is, I don't feel it would have been brought up if that situation didn't happen. Seems more like a hidden agenda for one team rather then genuine concern over a rule

OK, what about this, regarding bracket tournaments.

Lets say you have 12 kids for wt class 145. You use a 16 man bracket. So you are saying that those kids receiving byes should get max points?

What about a weight class that has 6 kids in it. Do you still create a full 16 man bracket with a bunch of byes and still expect for that kid to receive max points for like two or maybe three byes in a row before they even get a real match to wrestle?

• Upvote 1

It was brought up as a general question and a logical one, I've wondered this for years. From a points perspective, I think it should be equal to a forfeit in bracket tournaments ( 2 for advancement in championship round + 2 for bye/forfeit/dq/pin) in the conso round ( 1 for advancement + 2 for bye/forfeit/dq/pin). So it would be max points given for it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bearcats Coach said:

Lets say you have 12 kids for wt class 145. You use a 16 man bracket. So you are saying that those kids receiving byes should get max points?

What about a weight class that has 6 kids in it. Do you still create a full 16 man bracket with a bunch of byes and still expect for that kid to receive max points for like two or maybe three byes in a row before they even get a real match to wrestle?

Switch to an 8 man bracket?

2 minutes ago, Bearcats Coach said:

The reason above is why wrestlers shouldn't get full points for byes.  Most tourney's have to use several different bracket types.  I ran one early this year that had bracket sizes from 32 down to a 3 man round robin.  Byes are just byes...not scheduled matches and receiving a bye shouldn't earn a team points.  A forfeit in a tourney occurs when a scheduled match doesn't occur because one wrestler isn't able to compete for one reason or another.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, coachteater said:

If this was a state rule I could see the argument more, but this is a national rule. I'm not exactly sure why they do this, but I'm sure guys with my more wrestling knowleshe did it this way for a reason. It's funny I've never really seen this brought up as an issue till now. Seems like the only reason why, is because a good team didn't finish first, but could have with that kind of point change. Point is, I don't feel it would have been brought up if that situation didn't happen. Seems more like a hidden agenda for one team rather then genuine concern over a rule

So just because it only effected 1 team, it's not a cause for conversation? No hidden agenda. Woodford had a ton of byes and lost Regionals by 2 points to very good Oldham Co. At no other tournament during the year does almost every #1 seed get a bye, they are randomly chosen by track. No sour grapes, just trying to understand why it is done this way once a year. 

5 minutes ago, justaref said:

Switch to an 8 man bracket?

Yes normally you would go to 8 man bracket. My point is to make it fair on even playing field. Some weight class will not be full. Heck Region 4 120 had like 4 kids.

So not one wrestler is receiving 2-3 byes vs another wrestler, if you can prevent this.

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

The reason above is why wrestlers shouldn't get full points for byes.  Most tourney's have to use several different bracket types.  I ran one early this year that had bracket sizes from 32 down to a 3 man round robin.  Byes are just byes...not scheduled matches and receiving a bye shouldn't earn a team points.  A forfeit in a tourney occurs when a scheduled match doesn't occur because one wrestler isn't able to compete for one reason or another.

exactly!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bearcats Coach said:

Bearcats Coach - yuck, I can't say I'd want to watch that, but why not?  At one team dual we attended this year, Adam's first 3 matches were forfeits.  He went 3-0 and scored a max 18 points for his team.  Why shouldn't he get max team points for tourney byes?

Coachteater - you're mistaken that this has anything to do with regional team outcomes, so you can abandon your hidden agenda premise.  I've had this discussion with people from well back when we were a 1-man team, and couldn't viably participate in dual format events.  After attending tournaments exclusively all year long and having 1st round byes in 90% of them, he'd come out of the season with a record 10-15 wins short of everyone else and compare unfavorably with the other low-loss kids that had picked up forfeits all year long.

I'm not arguing for or against either system...merely discussing the discrepancy that gets introduced.

As for the source, I'm sure it's a national HS rule, that derives from a college rule, that has less impact and thus less discussion merit in wrestling hotbed states with 5x the teams and with more complete rosters / full tournaments on average.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

But, those byes should be random and not given to just the top seed or top seeds. 

That's really simple to do.  Trackwrestling allows you to choose whether you want the top seeds to receive preference for byes, or whether they be assigned randomly.  Or you could do it the old fashioned way and draw cards.

2 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

That's really simple to do.  Trackwrestling allows you to choose whether you want the top seeds to receive preference for byes, or whether they be assigned randomly.  Or you could do it the old fashioned way and draw cards.

DRAW CARDS!!!!! Thats my point. Put the byes on the bracket FIRST! Yes rjs, I think this is by far best way to handle this. Yes it takes a little time, but I think its fair!

• Upvote 1

If this is all about Reg 5 results there were only THREE competitors at 120!! That is insane.  If Yost gets one more win (even a decision) then Woodford wins the tournament. Blame the lack of full rosters not first round byes.